• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo North: The Midwest Championships (June 22-24 2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
EVO NORTH: The Midwest Championships

June 22-24, 2007
Nickel City
555 Waukegan Road
Northbrook, IL 60062
(847) 559-8727

Qualifying EVO World Tournaments: (Top 8 move to Finals in EVO Worlds in Las Vegas, NV in August 2007)

Games:

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (ARCADE VERSION)
Marvel VS. Capcom 2 (Arcade Version)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Arcade Version)
Virtua Fighter 5 (PlayStation 3)
Capcom vs. SNK 2 (PlayStation 2)
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (PlayStation 3)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube)
Guilty Gear XX Slash (Japanese PlayStation 2)

Rules:

This tournament will be DOUBLE ELIMINATION.

*Game version: Nintendo Gamecube
*Game Settings: Singles VS Melee, 2/3 Games, 4 Stock, 6 Minute Timer, No Items
*If both players can agree on a stage, that stage will be used. If there is conflict, then the rules below come into action.
*Pool A: Final Destination, Kirby's Dreamland 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams.
*Pool B: Mute City, Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64, Brinstar, Poke Floats, Corneria, Jungle Japes.
*The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random from pool A. Any games after that can be from pools A or B.
*After the stage has been selected by the losing player, the winner of the previous game may change characters, but has to pick first.
*No stage may be used twice in any given set.
*Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
*Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.

Schedule:
Friday, June 22
(No EVO qualifiers this day)
Official MWC Tournaments-
12 NOON-Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition (Arcade)
2/3 $5 entry 3/5 Finals

3 PM-Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Arcade)
2/3 $5 entry 3/5 Finals

6 PM-Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Arcade)
2/3 $5 entry 3/5 Finals

6 PM-Street Fighter EX 2+ (Arcade)
2/3 $5 entry 3/5 Finals

9 PM-Random "Mystery" Tournament
Different game each round!
2/3 $10 entry, Finals: ?????

IMPORTANT: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY EVO COVER CHARGES to PLAY IN Friday's TOURNAMENTS, only in "Official" EVO Qualifying tournaments will you have to pay the cover charges.

Any OTHER tournaments such as X-Men VS SF, DOA, SNK games, Hyper Street Fighter Alpha, Puzzle Fighter, etc will have to be run by those not part of the MWC staff. If you want to run these yourselves, you are more than welcome to as long as it DOES NOT interfere with our schedule of events.

Saturday, June 23
10am-11am Emergency Registration
EVO Cover Charge Early Registration (see EVO Website)-$20
EVO Cover Charge Normal Registration (see EVO Website)-$30
EVO Cover Charge EMERGENCY Registration (anytime AT the tournament-$45

11am SHARP
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (Arcade, 3 cabinets)
$10 Entry 2/3 Double Elimination 3/5 Finals
Top 8 Qualify for EVO Worlds

11am SHARP
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection (Console)
$10 Entry (For game rules, please see EVO website)

3pm SHARP
Capcom vs. SNK 2 (Console)

6pm SHARP
Street Fighter III: Third Strike (Arcade, 3 cabinets)

Sunday, June 24
10am-11am Emergency Registration
EVO Cover Charge Early Registration (see EVO Website)-$20
EVO Cover Charge Normal Registration (see EVO Website)-$30
EVO Cover Charge EMERGENCY Registration (anytime AT the tournament-$45

11AM SHARP
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo (Arcade, 3 cabinets)

11AM SHARP
Super Smash Bros. Melee (Console)
$10 Entry (See EVO website for RULES)

3PM SHARP
Virtua Fighter 5 (Console)
$10 Entry (See EVO website for RULES)

6PM SHARP
Guilty Gear TEAM TOURNAMENT 2 vs 2 (Console)
$30 Entry (See EVO website for RULES)

http://www.evo2k.com/north/

Step 1: Register
This year online registration is required. If you want to compete in the tournaments you must register online! When you register you can choose to pay right away online, or can pay at Evo North.
We highly recommend you register early to save on your registration costs:

Early Bird Registration!

Register Online and get a $10 discount on your registration cost!! Only $20 to register, plus $10 for each tournament.

Registration

After a certain date, the cost of registration will rise to $30 to enter, plus $10 for each tournament.

Emergency Registration

We will be accepting a small number of registrations at the door. However, the event fee for late registrants will be increased to $45 for event registration, plus $10 for each tournament you choose to enter. Register now and save $25!

Step 2: Book a Room at The Red Roof Inn
We have reserved a discounted room block at The Red Roof Inn at a discounted rate of $71.99 for a single or double room. Staying in the same hotel as the tournament is the best way to enjoy Evo. Evo is an all day, all weekend event, so we strongly recommend booking a room.

To reserve your room, call The Red Roof Inn reservations at 1-800-733-7663 and ask for the special rate "B188000685." To get the special rate, you must make your reservation before May 21st.

Step 3: Talk Some Smack on the Forum
The Evo forums is a great place to meet other Evo attendees.

For the thread on Shoryuken click here:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=118959

valoem

Smash Journeyman
i believe the rules might be subject to change due to the incident with time that occured at evo east, so please check the evo site regularly

DarkRoom

Smash Ace
The almighty DarkRoom will probably go....

And make a piss poor showing (well at least more piss poor than usual) since I haven't been playing regularly for more than half a year now. But I want to see all the SRK communities! Exciting!

Jesi

Smash Ace
it would be really fun to GO to this.... however it's a Sunday tournament right? wonder how long it will go on....

Drephen

Smash Master
The almighty DarkRoom will probably go....

And make a piss poor showing (well at least more piss poor than usual) since I haven't been playing regularly for more than half a year now. But I want to see all the SRK communities! Exciting!
Jesi said:
i'll probably GO to this and it would be fun.... however it's a Sunday tournament right? wonder how long it will go on....
there fixed it for ya, follow the trend!

CaptainAwesome

Smash Ace
No, Smash is on Sunday.

Either way, I'll probably go. It's only like 30 minutes from my house, and Top 8 isn't that hard. It is a Sunday, so that might keep some people from traveling.

I don't like that the losses carry over, though. I guess it saves time and stuff, but I'd much rather get a clean slate every round.

Ace Madcap

Smash Rookie
Does it cost anything to just go and watch? A friend of mine was wondering since he wants to come watch my buddy and me get our assess handed to us.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
There's a small chance I can be there. I may have to leave early, though, so I don't know if I'll enter the tourny itself, but I'm up for friendlies 'n to watch 'n whatnot.

Anyone have any idea when the smash part of EVO will end? I know I won't get far enough along to worry, haha, but I'd like to get a good idea of how long I have to watch/friendlies.

Ace Madcap

Smash Rookie
Is it just me or does it seem like this tournament is going to be pretty small (the smash portion anyways)? Nobody seems to be showing much interest at all.

And um...back to my original question...does anyone know if we're allowed to bring spectators or is it competitors only?

mathos

Smash Champion
Yea I wish more people were wanting to go or at least post. :(

Is anyone near the chicagoland area going to be hosting anything on Saturday? Cause it kinda sucks to be kashaning at the venue for that entire day.

Ace Madcap

Smash Rookie
Yea I wish more people were wanting to go or at least post. :(

Is anyone near the chicagoland area going to be hosting anything on Saturday? Cause it kinda sucks to be kashaning at the venue for that entire day.
Funny that you should mention that. I'm actually hosting a small tourney Saturday night at around 7 PM. I've only invited around 20 people (mostly friends) and not all are going to show, so it's not anything big. $5 to enter, first and second place split the pot. Best 2 of 3, single elimination.

I didn't post anything about it here yet since I just joined and didn't think that anyone would attend, but if you'd like to go, you're more than welcome to. Out of all of the people I've invited, only around 4 or 5 would give you a tough time (judging from your videos on youtube).

If you're interested, just send me a PM and I can give you the address. Otherwise, good luck at Evo.

DanZilla

Smash Rookie
Hey, im new to this but, i googled today so i could find a tourny. =). Ill be going Sunday for smash bros melee. I hope theres a bunch of people playing that game cuz i havent had a challenge in a while. =/. By the way i live all the way out here in Carol Stream lol so if someone could give me directions? Or maybe ill look around after i post this how t o get there. Thanks, see you there :D!!

Ace Madcap

Smash Rookie
Hey, im new to this but, i googled today so i could find a tourny. =). Ill be going Sunday for smash bros melee. I hope theres a bunch of people playing that game cuz i havent had a challenge in a while. =/. By the way i live all the way out here in Carol Stream lol so if someone could give me directions? Or maybe ill look around after i post this how t o get there. Thanks, see you there :D!!
Just go to www.mapquest.com and get directions. I live near Carol Stream as well (Glendale Heights) and that's what I did. It only takes around 45 minutes to get there, so it's not too bad.

Tink

Smash Hero
im prolly not going anymores. i just dont like that beasty covercharge you need to pay, unless im reading it wrong <_</

forward

Smash Champion
Yo tink I recommend you go, Evo east was one of the best tournament I have been to. I'm sure Evo North will be the same. Unfortunately I can't make it to this :(

Gamepro

Smash Apprentice
Did they provide food or anything forward? Do they fly out the top 8 to Las Vegas? Or does the cover charge just go to equipment/space/staff. I'm also curious to know what amount top prize was at Evo East for smash.

Seems like if you're just entering SSBM it was 30 dollars a little bit ago and now it's 40 dollars.

Ace Madcap

Smash Rookie
Did they provide food or anything forward? Do they fly out the top 8 to Las Vegas? Or does the cover charge just go to equipment/space/staff. I'm also curious to know what amount top prize was at Evo East for smash.

Seems like if you're just entering SSBM it was 30 dollars a little bit ago and now it's 40 dollars.
Isn't it still only $30? A $20 cover charge and a $10 charge for smash. That's how it was when I signed up a few days ago.

Gamepro

Smash Apprentice
On the Evo website it says...

" Registration!
June 11th - June 17th, 11:59 PM PST

Register Online and get a $10 discount on your registration cost!! Only $20 to register, plus $10 for each tournament. "

So I'm assuming since it's after June. 17th now the early bird discount is over.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
Actually, due to a personal problem I will not be able to make it ;(. Guess my Ness will have to wait until next year to make a stand..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom