• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2018 Discussion Thread for Smash 4

Iridium

Smash Hero
Choco fights the loser of Dabuz vs. Mistake, so he gets to face off against a top 10 player regardless.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Mistake 2-1 Dabuz

3 out of 4 players in Winners Top 8 mains Bayo.

CaptainZack, Mistake and Lima in winners. Only Mr E makes it in winners. He is not Bayo main.

MonkaS

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
So we have 3 Bayos in top 8 winners, and the only person who doesn't main Bayo there is Mr E. Huh.

Expect the unexpected, I guess.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So we have 3 Bayos in top 8 winners, and the only person who doesn't main Bayo there is Mr E. Huh.

Expect the unexpected, I guess.
This game dies not with a bang, but a whimper...

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
This game dies not with a bang, but a whimper...
Mr. E being in top 8 winner's at EVO is already a big enough bang for me. Props to him.

The universal best of 3 sets are really helping out those Bayo players. Although those three made it to top 8 winner's side, Salem and tyroy are both out at 17th.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Elegant (potentially being) in Top 8 is the best timeline

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Mr. E being in top 8 winner's at EVO is already a big enough bang for me. Props to him.

The universal best of 3 sets are really helping out those Bayo players. Although those three made it to top 8 winner's side, Salem and tyroy are both out at 17th.
To each their own. But I'm really depressed to see so many Bayos in the winners side. Even the commentators verbally breathed a sigh of relief after all the Bayo matches lol. I just...cannot watch a top 8 seeing Bayo over and over.

Elegant (potentially being) in Top 8 is the best timeline
Yeah. Hia odds go up significantly if Dabuz doesn't meet him again in bracket. If they do, I wouldn't even plug in the controller lol.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I hope Nietono and Choco pull through in losers. Nietono has to deal with falln, and Choco has to deal with Dabuz.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
[
Having 3 Bayos in Top 8 Winners at EVO is not my friend...sigh

Still Elegant must face against Raito for Top 8
That is also soul crushing because Elegant and Raito are my two favorite players. Sighhhh.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Having 3 Bayos in Top 8 Winners at EVO is not my friend...sigh

Still Elegant must face against Raito for Top 8 and at the same time, he must potentially face Dabuz. This is a bad situation.
Honestly if Elegant could take a game off of Dabuz I’d be happy, sad that he probably would lose every other one but hey, it’s progress!

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
i'll watch top 8 tomorrow i cant watch anymore after having to watch so much rosa + ally losing + this thread's endless negativity + watching the game for 6 hours (last one is entirely my fault but w/e)

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Anyone worried about Elegant vs. Dabuz happening again, it can't until losers semis if Elegant even makes it that far.
i'll watch top 8 tomorrow i cant watch anymore after having to watch so much rosa + ally losing + this thread's endless negativity + watching the game for 6 hours (last one is entirely my fault but w/e)
Top 8 is tonight BTW.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
The real question is, who can stop Dabuz with Komo out?

None of the Bayos, even Salem, have been able to go even with him - across the lifespan of the game. I could see a clutch Bof3, but their collective odds start dropping as the rounds increase. I don’t see any of them being able to go two sets and beat him.

Maybe Choco in a Bof5 format?
I'd have said cosmos on a good day, and choco as well..........
but both got sent to losers by falln, so the likelihood of beating dabuz is small

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
The real question is, who can stop Dabuz with Komo out?

None of the Bayos, even Salem, have been able to go even with him - across the lifespan of the game. I could see a clutch Bof3, but their collective odds start dropping as the rounds increase. I don’t see any of them being able to go two sets and beat him.

Maybe Choco in a Bof5 format?
Cosmos, maybe? I don't know his record against Dabuz, but I know Corrin has a good matchup against Rosa.

Edit: Choco's a game up.

Edit: And now he's not.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Since Ultimate is getting close, I want to say my thoughts about the decline in Smash 4...

One of the biggest reason why Smash 4 and Smash Brawl dies off more soon than Smash Melee is not by Bayo but by the community itself.

Comparing to the Melee community, the Newest Community (Brawl and Smash 4 community) is more imature since they have a much younger playerbase than Melee. While Melee community still grudge and complain about Jigg and ICs, they still respect it at least, and at the same time, these campy characters only relegade by only a few players. In Newest Smash community however, they heavily complain about the top tiers and certain stage much more than Melee. At the same time, there is much more drama in the newest community than Melee.

The Bayo and MK issue from Smash 4 and Brawl is even worse. They criticized both characters for being broken and at the same time punish the players who played Bayo and MK. You can hear crowd shouting boos at MKLeo when he beat Plup with Bayo at the invitational. You see many younger players struggle by all the hate they recieve just because they main their character that they like. Its that toxic.

If the Newest Community still has that same negative issues from Brawl and Smash 4, then Ultimate will not live that long as Melee.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
One of the biggest reason why Smash 4 and Smash Brawl dies off more soon than Smash Melee is not by Bayo but by the community itself.

Comparing to the Melee community, Brawl and Smash 4 Newest Community is more imature since they have a much younger playerbase than Melee. While Melee community still grudge and complain about Jigg and ICs, they still respect it at least, and at the same time, these campy characters only relegade by only a few players. In Newest Smash community however, they heavily complain about the top tiers and certain stage much more than Melee. At the same time, there is much more drama in the newest community than Melee. Thats why certain players, such as ZeRo, quit the game because of all of that backlash nonesense from the community.

The Bayo and MK issue from Smash 4 and Brawl is even worse. They criticized both characters for being broken and at the same time punish the players who played Bayo and MK. You can hear crowd shouting boos at MKLeo when he beat Plup with Bayo at the invitational. You see many younger players struggle by all the hate they recieve just because they main their character that they like. Its that toxic.

If the Newest Community still has that same negative issues from Brawl and Smash 4, then Ultimate will not live that long as Melee.
Let's stop attributing ZeRo's retirement to whatever's convenient, please? It's hard to imagine ZeRo quitting because of all the backlash when he was a not insignificant part of said backlash.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Choco is like if Zero and Nairo did a fusion dance.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Raito :4duckhunt: 2-1 Elegant :4luigi:
Raito makes top 8 and Elegant is out at 9th!
Elegant must be fuming, as beating Bayos is his speciality. I was rooting for both, but Raito is horrible against Bayos so sadly...I'm gone after he loses :(

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
MVD :4diddy: 2-1 Cosmos :4corrinf:
MVD makes top 8 with a PG team kill and is now the highest-placing PG player! Cosmos out at 9th.

Top 8:
Winners Side:
CaptainZack :4bayonetta: vs. Mr. E :4lucina:
Lima :4bayonetta2: vs. Mistake :4bayonetta2:
Losers Side:
Raito :4duckhunt: vs. MVD :4diddy:
Nietono :4sheik: vs. Choco :4zss:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
MVD :4diddy: 2-1 Cosmos :4corrinf:
MVD makes top 8 with a PG team kill and is now the highest-placing PG player! Cosmos out at 9th.

Top 8:
Winners Side:
CaptainZack :4bayonetta: vs. Mr. E :4lucina:
Lima :4bayonetta2: vs. Mistake :4bayonetta2:
Losers Side:
Raito :4duckhunt: vs. MVD :4diddy:
Nietono :4sheik: vs. Choco :4zss:
I'm honestly surprised and proud that Nietono, Choco, and Mr. E (who are not seeded to get this far) made it this far.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm honestly surprised and proud that Nietono, Choco, and Mr. E (who are not seeded to get this far) made it this far.
I still find it interesting that Choco was seeded 10th, and is doing way better. The top either did not attend or missed top 8, but upsets at EVO are expected.

Last edited:
Top Bottom