• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVO 2013 Melee Info Dump! - FINAL DAY: TOP 8 STARTING AT NOON: http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Best tournament of all time.
This times one thousand. The DK/Fox set (game 1 and 3 were instant all-time classics), HBox/Wobbles (that comeback was arguably the best comeback ever), Mango throwing his shirt into the crowd after beating Armada, Mango going aggro on PP, Mango having 3 comebacks from 0-1 to win 2-1.... so many great moments, and I'm just scratching the tournament.

If all the recorded matches and footage for Melee at Evo 2013 was released on DVD and/or Blu-Ray, I would buy it, and play it until the disc breaks.
That was the closes **** I've ever seen. Good ****, Jwong.
That was a heck of a match. I didn't have to know UMvC3 to know that was pure 100% hype. That is as good as championship matches get.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I still can't believe how effortlessly Mango just tore through everyone after getting sent to losers.

Was that the most dominant major touney performance in Melee history?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ It was a remix of Corneria (like the Melee stage) from Star Fox (the original).
I still can't believe how effortlessly Mango just tore through everyone after getting sent to losers.

Was that the most dominant major touney performance in Melee history?
Mango in losers brackets = automatic Super Saiyan mode summoned.

For reals though, I think this confirms Mango's standings as the greatest Melee player of all-time. He won the biggest tournament in Smash history winning 16 of his last 17 matches, including 15 in a row. That kind of winning streak is unprecedented, especially on this grand stage with that amazing scale and that incredible competition.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Just 5 things of the many many I could say.
1) Wobbles please don't leave us... Don't suddenly retire after becoming my favorite player.
2) Mango's Fox looked damn near a 10/10 and also so many damn grab breaks
3) Armada seems salty. I hope he comes back.
4) M2K never go Fox vs Hbox.
5) #One more year.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Just 5 things of the many many I could say.
1) Wobbles please don't leave us... Don't suddenly retire after becoming my favorite player.
2) Mango's Fox looked damn near a 10/10 and also so many damn grab breaks
3) Armada seems salty. I hope he comes back.
4) M2K never go Fox vs Hbox.
5) #One more year.
I gotta disagree with you on point #5.

Not one more year, but ONE MORE ETERNITY!!!!

We got all the hype on our side, we got all the excitement on our side, and most importantly, we got a great community on our side!!!

MELEE COMPETITIVE SCENE, LET'S DO THIS!!!!

MELEE NEVER DIES!!!!

Puca Readabook

Smash Apprentice
*sigh*
Dr. PeePee/Falco really let me down =/ ... both player and character. Like wtf....i was really johning for you after Zennith, but I understand now that Mango/fox is the pinnacle of competitive smash.

Djent

Smash Champion
AE peaked at 123K viewers, guys.

Granted, timezones certainly had something to do with it, but it's still a huge accomplishment. Do you realize what that means?

Melee had the 2nd highest viewer count, only 10K off of Marvel.

Good ****ing ****, guys. :smash:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
and now SSF4 is done. Final stream numbers of the day:

1.UMvC3(145,000)
2.Melee(138,000)
3.SSF4(122,000)
4.Injustice(110,000)
5.Killer Instinct Demo(94,000)
6.KOF13(90,000)

that is LoL stream numbers lot, and they said it more then surpassed last year(wheere they said the max was like 98k.)

also, with ICs and a team using Mai in top 2, a team with Shuma in top 3, and a Gen winning the SF tournament, shoutouts to the underused dudes winning stuff!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mr. Wizard has a waifu. lmaooooo
Waifu confirmed for Melee 2!!! :chuckle:
Marvel deserves it though, I'll easily admit top 8 was better than Melee
I mean seriously, WONG FACTOR
Yeah, MvC3's grand finals was one of the greatest things I've ever seen in my life, and I've maybe played a dozen matches of that game.

Still, Wobbles' comeback on HBox with no Nana was easily the most unbelievably Melee moment I ever witnessed live, and one of the best Melee moments/comebacks ever without any debate. Seriously folks, that replay needs to be on the all-time highlights 25 years from now, or else we as a community are letting our all-time highlights down.

Ausp

Smash Apprentice
Waifu confirmed for Melee 2!!! :chuckle:

Yeah, MvC3's grand finals was one of the greatest things I've ever seen in my life, and I've maybe played a dozen matches of that game.

Still, Wobbles' comeback on HBox with no Nana was easily the most unbelievably Melee moment I ever witnessed live, and one of the best Melee moments/comebacks ever without any debate. Seriously folks, that replay needs to be on the all-time highlights 25 years from now, or else we as a community are letting our all-time highlights down.

Your passion has no end... Keep it up.

MattNF

Smash Lord
and now SSF4 is done. Final stream numbers of the day:

1.UMvC3(145,000)
2.Melee(138,000)
3.SSF4(122,000)
4.Injustice(110,000)
5.Killer Instinct Demo(94,000)
6.KOF13(90,000)

that is LoL stream numbers lot, and they said it more then surpassed last year(wheere they said the max was like 98k.)

also, with ICs and a team using Mai in top 2, a team with Shuma in top 3, and a Gen winning the SF tournament, shoutouts to the underused dudes winning stuff!
I saw Melee peak at 142k briefly

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
i'm still in disbelief of what happened
the fact that all of the finals were 2/3 was lame
especially since nobody seemed to know, not even the players.

I honestly don't know if hungrybox could have clutched out that last set from wobbles, but I'm pretty sure both players would have played more carefully if they knew it was tournament stock.

Also I feel like a lot of people choked this tournament. Or maybe mango and wobbles were both playing so that it made it look like everyone else choked.
I don't know, this whole tournament was really really surreal.

chenjesu

Smash Journeyman
Like, the tournament was so surreal, I could say it was orchestrated by the illuminati, but then why didn't simna win?

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Rewatching Top 8. Mango's play is even more impressive the second time through. Holy crap that read on Hungrybox... Telepathic mango powers.

Really sad this is all over though. In retrospect it seems like it went by so fast after so much anticipation. Can't wait to see where melee goes from here.

Ausp

Smash Apprentice
Rewatching Top 8. Mango's play is even more impressive the second time through. Holy crap that read on Hungrybox... Telepathic mango powers.

Really sad this is all over though. In retrospect it seems like it went by so fast after so much anticipation. Can't wait to see where melee goes from here.
Well, I'll tell you where I think it will go. I just watched over quite a few sets from Day 2 and Day 3, one notably, Axe vs Mang0 from Day 2. I could see the burning desire from Axe to make it as far as he could. Then I realised that a lot of players (Silentwolf, Shroomed, etc.) really came with their A-game, not really knowing what to expect from this competition, but did the best they could anyway. Now that it has been witnessed and known, that SSBM immortality is on the line, they WILL want what Mang0 has achieved. If Smash is confirmed for another EVO year, next year is going to be disgustingly good. Look out for the guys that really turned out for this one. They have a lot more mileage in them.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
After looking back at matches, I think Armada played pretty terrible. And I'm saying this as being a giant PP fanboy.

I know many think it's hard to judge because it's like "well I dunno he looked pretty good to me", and not to discredit Mango at all because he played really good.

But Armada missed edge guards he normally wouldnt, messed up punishes etc. Basically I think of it as watching a player who has gotten as close to perfect as anyone has ever gotten, playing less than that. And that was Armada at Evo.

....And he was still able to 3 stock Shroomed.

(Seriously though he hasn't played that bad since Pound 4)

Oh also, not to say our numbers weren't great(because for solely Twitch, it was super super super good), but SF4 actually *technically* beat out everything. They had 120k from Twitch + 160k from NicoNico.

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
Almost cried that armada didn't do so good =(. So sad... Was this what he ment by: "Me playing without fire is not something you guys want to see"?

For me it seemed that many players played worse than usually. Except maybe for mango and wobbles. So many suicides and noob stuff that you like never see at this level. In top8 matches, I expected more comboes than what happened. I don't know, for me, evo was kind of a dissapointment. Everything seemed so rushed down and superficial. Bo3 sets was a dissapointment. Also armada vs pp so early, damn.. About commentators, I think they did their job fine on generally. It could have been so much worse as we have seen. But couple things annoyed me in there as well. The evo commentator was surprisingly well aware of melee stuff, but for me, his excitement for the game and happening seemed ungenuine, like he was just hired to commentate that etc. And the amount of how much they were bragging how good melee is was just... unnecessary.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
I was rooting for Wobbles as soon as he pulled that triple chain grab to the wobble ON A PLATFORM during one of the day 3 games. Mango was playing good, but Wobbles lost a lot of chaingrab opportunities and even a few wobble opportunities here and there. I'm only letting Wobbles get away with it because Mango was playing really good and it's hard to play ice climbers against fox under stress.

The KoF was really hype. The game is really easy to watch and that + marvel actually got me in the mood to pick up a 'traditional' 2D fighter. Anyone know a good 'gateway' 2D fighter for people starting out?

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
The evo commentator was surprisingly well aware of melee stuff, but for me, his excitement for the game and happening seemed ungenuine, like he was just hired to commentate that etc.
James Chen might be corny as hell, but I assure you, everything that comes out of his mouth is genuine.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
he's genuinely excited at all the wrong times
don't come back james chen
we don't have HMW doing AE commentary so keep out of smash you tard

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I like James Chen. Would've loved to see Wobbles (oh wait, busy) or Scar & Toph commentate, but Mr Chen did a good job as well (:
Not that I caught too much of the commentary anyways, since I was a little bit too excited about the matches themselves haha :D

atangerine

Smash Cadet
After looking back at matches, I think Armada played pretty terrible. And I'm saying this as being a giant PP fanboy.

I know many think it's hard to judge because it's like "well I dunno he looked pretty good to me", and not to discredit Mango at all because he played really good.

But Armada missed edge guards he normally wouldnt, messed up punishes etc. Basically I think of it as watching a player who has gotten as close to perfect as anyone has ever gotten, playing less than that. And that was Armada at Evo.

....And he was still able to 3 stock Shroomed.

(Seriously though he hasn't played that bad since Pound 4)

Oh also, not to say our numbers weren't great(because for solely Twitch, it was super super super good), but SF4 actually *technically* beat out everything. They had 120k from Twitch + 160k from NicoNico.
Niconico counts cumulative viewers, not concurrent

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol Armada johns. If at Armada's best he was a 10/10, he played a 9.5 here. PP and Mango really stepped it up and if you can't see that you should probably re-watch the matches a few times.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Nah son. Mango looked damn near unstoppable until the last 3-4 games (where he still dominated but you could see he was getting ever so slightly fatigued from playing Fox at that level for that long). Have you EVER seen mango use that many lasers and actually space that well? He hardly ever went mindless aggro. Best fox play of all time easily.

'when he played'. I don't consider EVO a part of his smash career.

Phonz

Smash Cadet
I was rooting for Wobbles as soon as he pulled that triple chain grab to the wobble ON A PLATFORM during one of the day 3 games. Mango was playing good, but Wobbles lost a lot of chaingrab opportunities and even a few wobble opportunities here and there. I'm only letting Wobbles get away with it because Mango was playing really good and it's hard to play ice climbers against fox under stress.

The KoF was really hype. The game is really easy to watch and that + marvel actually got me in the mood to pick up a 'traditional' 2D fighter. Anyone know a good 'gateway' 2D fighter for people starting out?
My friends and I have been playing injustice recently and it seems fairly easy to get accustomed to quick.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
My issue with it is the obvious balance issues. I watched the injustice finals and even I could see how stupid superman was compared to the rest of the cast. I understand it's a new game, but at the very least superman shouldn't have chip damage on his full screen laser.

I've been looking at P4Arena for a little while. I heard it's pretty straightforward combo wise so it's good for teaching you bait/punish, spacing, and guarding.

Top Bottom