• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Every game has had them. Let's Talk Clones

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Here's an obvious one, now that we know the Inklings are playable, the Octolings.

And a Dr Wario clone for Wario.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
My clone expectations:

Yarn Yoshi for :4yoshi:

Octolings for Inkling

Galacta Knight for :4metaknight:

Isabelle as a semi-clone of :4villager:

:4luigi:,:4drmario:, and :4tlink: are made more unique from their original character by changes to the OG's moveset.

:4darkpit: getting Pit's Brawl Stuff

Maybe :pichumelee:?

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
My clone expectations:

Yarn Yoshi for :4yoshi:

Octolings for Inkling

Galacta Knight for :4metaknight:

Isabelle as a semi-clone of :4villager:

:4luigi:,:4drmario:, and :4tlink: are made more unique from their original character by changes to the OG's moveset.

:4darkpit: getting Pit's Brawl Stuff

Maybe :pichumelee:?
No, no :pichumelee:
Also may I add in, have :4darkpit: use his staff for his :GCB: move and not just his final smash.

Last edited:

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
All I'm begging is an EX Character Mode; none of the unlockable characters have EX modes. I'll give examples here:

• EX Mario: Mario's Melee moveset with Jigglypuff's Final Smash
  • EX Samus: Match starts with Zero Suit Samus instead. Like Normal (Varia Suit) Samus, Final Smashes change between Normal and EX mid Match.
  • EX Yoshi: Yoshi with a ground pound Up B, an egg-firing B, and many others to make EX Yoshi more accessible than Normal Yoshi
  • EX Kirby: Frontal and Upward yarn twirls are done with Smash B and Up B respectively, Ice Breath for Down B, Kirby's 64 standard attacks and Luigi's SSB4 Final Smash
  • EX Pikachu: Just like Normal Pikachu, but any Electric and Psychic moves damage itself. Up B becomes Agility, Skull Bash also takes damage, Pikachu's 64 standard attacks and taunt, and a final smash just like Normal Pikachu's, but constantly hurts itself throughout.

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
My clone idea so far list:
Dr.Luigi
Daisy
Dry Bowser
DK jr.
Impa
Young Link (bring him back as a clone i wouldn't care)
Phantom Gannondorf
(Marth & Ike to get the bowser jr treatment & just add other sword useres instead of alt colors)
(olimar/alf just add more alt charaters from pikmin)
galacta knight
Dr.Wario
igglybuff
ash hat pikachu & bring back pichu
wartortal & bulbasuar if Ivy & squrts return
make R.O.B & Robot 2 diffrent charaters they are IMO the japan model & western model
Ms pac man
evil ryu
shadow mewtwo
blood falcon
wii fit u trainer
hitmonchan
Bride Dress Mario <3

um thats it i think?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I thought this over a bit; the best way to implement clones would be to treat them like they were custom moves.
This means a few things;
  • Customs must be turned on for them to appear as their own roster slots and ergo, as their own characters.
  • As alternate palettes, clones only keep their taunts; everything else about them is the same.
  • Clones and palettes can be added for free in the game. Existing palettes can gain custom stats in updates. Some DLC characters come with a clone of that character.
  • Like all custom moves, clones have to be unlocked. You do this by clearing Classic/1P mode with the base character and then defeating them.
  • FINALLY, this means the people crying about 'wasted slots' can just turn off customs. like come on how is getting mad at clones real like just turn 'em off lmao
Here are a few ideas for characters that could gain clones in this way along with the changes I'd propose.
EXISTING CLONES
Mario/Dr. Mario
Ness/Lucas

Let's just get these out of the way.
Pichu's attacks that use electricity all deal self-damage but gain a random bonus effect in return. They can cause a flower to spout on an enemy, steal items they may be holding, stun them, put them to sleep, taunt, reverse their controls temporarily, weaken their defenses or offenses... Think moves like "Charm", "Sweet Kiss", "Lovely Kiss" that baby Pokemon know. Pichu's special attacks do not benefit from this.
Down Special; Discharge. Instead of being struck by lightning Pichu generates electricity around itself. The more damage Pichu has taken, the larger and more powerful the discharge is.
Neutral Special; Nuzzle. Pichu's body gains a hitbox that paralyzes enemies, putting them into a hard knockdown animation.
Side Special; Tail Whip. Pichu launches headfirst similar to Skull Bash but flips mid-air to hit foes with his tail. This move heavily damages, on account of it's defense-lowering abilities. It deals no self-damage, but also deals no damage.
Up Special; Quick Attack. Instead of allowing for two movements at different angles, Pichu zips in a continuous curving line for the same total distance as a full Agility would.
Final Smash: Rest, Snore and Sleep Talk. Pichu rests to recover all health, then starts to snores loudly to damage nearby foes. After 3 seconds, Pichu starts using Sleep Talk; Pichu gains healing over time, super armor, resistance to self-damage and continues to snore! The move ends 7 seconds after this starts.
Dark Pit uses any move that Pit had in Brawl that he no longer uses as of Smash 4. When possible, the move will be shown as being provided by Viridi instead of Palutena, taking Smash 4's contributions to the Kid Icarus canon into account. Yes, I just typed that. All weapon models are based off of Kid Icarus Uprising weapons.
The one exception is his Neutral Special is now his Dark Pit Staff that fires faster, stronger shots that do not curve; you can only alter the angle the fire at after launch. His final smash is the same as Smash 4 as well.
His Side-Special Fallen Angel Ring has him twirl the Darkness Bow in twin-blade form to attack and reflect projectiles, which he also uses in his other attacks. His Up Special is Wings of Nature, identical to Pit's old Brawl recovery.
Lucina retains her balanced-blade.
Her Neutral Special Shieldbreaker now uses Marth's old overhead swing from Melee.
Her Mask taunt now allows her to wear the mask and have shorter hair during combat, but when you next take over 10% damage it breaks and Lucina will take an ADDITIONAL 5% damage. However, if you are still wearing it when the round ends Lucina will wear it during the results screen; she has a special victory animation with the mask on.
EXISTING PALETTES, NEW CLONES
Alph's Pikmin consist of Red, Blue, Yellow, Rock and Flying. Alph's plucking order uses pools; pool #1 is R/ B/Y while Pool #2 is Rock/Flying. Alph's plucking order is 1, 1, 2, repeat. In Pool 1, you will have an equal distribution of colors. Pool 2 always alternates.
Rock Pikmin grant Superarmor during all their attacks and spike foes, but will have trouble following you due to their weight; you will have to use Down Special to make sure they don't get left behnd. They are prone to dying to bottomless pits. Flying Pikmin allow you to hover during aerials and improve your recovery.
Instead of voice lines, voice clips from the Punch-Out!! Arcade machine play when he attacks, shouting things like "Body blow!" "Left!" "Right!" or ringing round-start bell. Doc Louis's voice lines are replaced with an offscreen referee.
The Wireframe Contender does NOT have super armor during Smash Attacks. In general, the Wireframe Contender is slower and weaker (compared to Little Mac at least; think Marth speed). His aerial game is buffed to compensate.
His Neutral Special has been replaced with a Flurry Punch. Instead of sliding along the ground, WC gains super armor and throws out a flurry of punches. His KO Punch charges MUCH FASTER, and can be used in the air, but has been downgraded to a "Pretty strong I guess" Punch.
His Down Special has been replaced with Jolt Counter; WC throws a punch that, if it interrupts an attack, will stun the opponent for 1.4 times the duration of the remaining animation. So land it on someone using a Warlock punch and they'll be there for a century.
Wario with Overalls has a weaker aerial game and a worse recovery, but is stronger on the ground. His Final Smash, Shake It!!, allows him to attack platforms or even the main stage to shake the battlefield which trips enemies, causes quakes and makes characters lose their grip of the ledge. Wario's pummel attack on grabbed enemies now shakes them, allowing him to quickly accumulate damage from a grab.
Neutral Special is Grab; an action-grab that lets Wario move around with his grabbed enemy, charge throws or transition into any of his other throws.
Side Special is Shoulder Bash; Wario dashes ahead with super armor. When used in the air, he wears his jethat for a second to gain movement similar to the start of his motorbike.
Down Special is Butt Stomp; gains power and knockback with the distance travelled before stomping, spikes foes and allows Wario to bounce off of enemies.
Blood Falcon's attacks have fire property (replacing any lightning affinity an attack may have had originally like the Knee). These fire property attacks are multi-hit, deal self damage and grant super armor. So side special now hits people multiple times before throwing them up, granting super armor all the while. Same with Falcon Kick, etc. Go even more all-in at the cost of your own health; think of being an F-Zero racer using way too much boost and racing with way too little shield. That's Blood Falcon.

CLONES FOR VETERANS

General Stats: f-air/f-smash have much more start-up but are much stronger. Dash attack is a sucker punch; comes out fast but only hits once. His kick attacks are now one-footed stomps, much faster and better reach but weaker.
Up Special Super Jump Punch replaced with Green Thunder; cannot perform the Fire Jump Punch, but it goes even higher and zaps anyone it touches.
Neutral Special Fireball replaced with Thunderhand; in place of a projectile, a hitbox in Mr. L's hand stuns enemies and knocks them upwards.
Side Special Green Missile replaced with the Super Paper Mario Super Jump; Mr. L scrunches his body down, then launches himself straight ahead. This move goes directly horizontal without arcing but loses all momentum as soon as it ends.
Down Special Luigi Cyclone replaced with the Mr. L Twister; acts similar to the Super Mario World Spin-jump. When used, Mr. L raises to about his jump height and if he lands on anyone, he bounces on them which meteors them and increases his bounce height. Mr. L cannot cancel the move once it's started and cannot grab ledges during it, but he can continually stomp on foes to wrack up damage.

Final Smash: Luigi's old one from Brawl, Negative Zone! This attack captures the darkness hidden deep inside Luigi once more.
ProtoMan has different specials; for instance his up-special is Item 1 from MegaMan 2, a platform that slowly floats upwards. He can't use it more than once without touching the ground (the platform doesn't count).
His 'melee' attacks like the Mega-Upper and the Dash are replaced. Additionally, he also has a shield that can block projectiles when he jumps. He's heavier and has a harder time recovering.
Ryu/Ken
A classic clone! Ken has multi-hit attacks and faster attacks that lack killing power.

CLONES FOR NEWCOMERS
Springman has a Dhalsim-esque moveset, uses different arms for his tilts/smashes/aerials, gains faster-charging smashes as his damage goes up ("The Bouncer bounces back!") and has a side special dash that reflects projectiles and evades attacks.
Springtron does NOT have the 'bounce back' mechanic where he charges faster at high %. His side special dash stuns foes and has super armor, but does not reflect projectiles. Springtron uses similar, but different Arms in all of his attacks (if Springman uses the Boomerang in an attack, Springtron uses the Chakram; both are curving Arms but have different strengths/arcs). Finally, Springtron has Super Armor on all of his Smash attacks, which Springman does not have
Rex and Pyra are a tag-team character. Pyra handles specials and smashes, while Rex handles other attacks. The more attacks Rex lands in a row, the more powerful Pyra's next attack will be, which then reset's Pyra's attack strength. When Rex lands a hit you can cancel it into one of Pyra's attacks. They have many multi-hit attacks on account of using fire as an element. Their final Smash is similar to Shulk's.
Rex and Mythra have the same base mechanics but multi-hit attacks are replaced with stronger single-hit attacks. Their final smash is Sacred Arrows, similar to what Lucas has in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
hell yeah, clones! I've been pro-clone for years and even have some ideas for clones myself

some of the most underrated Mario villains in my eyes, the viruses just burst with life. there isn't really enough here for a full moveset, but there's plenty for a clone.

the Viruses are very distinct from their Pokemon counterpart in many ways. for one thing, they can transform into one another using their down B, which replaces Rest. all 3 are heavier than Jigglypuff, and have the same weight for that matter (their weight is around that of Ness), but have different stats other than that. Weird (Yellow) is fast, Blue (Chill) is defensive and Red (Fever) is powerful. their Up-B has also changed. instead of Sing, they let out a squeal, which will either knock back foes (Fever), freeze foes (Chill) or plant a flower (Weird). also the Up Throw is different

for their standing animation they dance their respective dance slowly
, while for their idle animation they jump around. for their up taunt they do their laughs (which I can't find a gif of), for their side taunt, they pick up a virus with the other 2 colours on it and destroy it by contact, while for their down taunt they pick up a pill with their colour and get scared, throwing it into to abyss

all 3 appear for the victory and clapping animations. for their clapping they lie on the floor like when they're destroyed in Dr. Mario. for their wins, they either: A. blow raspberries, B. laugh like their taunt or C. do faster versions of their dances.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I can't help but noticed how people feel Celica should be a semi-clone of Robin. Can someone explain to me how that will even work with her moveset?

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
my ideas:
-Donkey Kong Jr. as a quicker but weaker DK clone. New Final Smash involving the Klaptraps
-Jeanne as a Bayonetta clone. Stronger, her Witch Time is way harder to pull out but has better results. Basically the differences Jeanne has in comparison to Bayo in her games
-Daisy as a flower-themed Peach semiclone, instead of hearts and rainbows. Completely new specials and Final Smash but mostly unchanged otherwise. btw Daisy really can't be an alt, it would make no sense for Daisy to have Peach's FS, pluck vegetables or use Toad as a counter
-Alph as an Olimar clone that uses Rock Pikmin (I genuinely want this more than anything)
-Octoling as an Inkling clone, maybe the Smash team would have to come up with some key differences in stats to them

Some characters I disagree for being clones:
-While I do think Celica could function somewhat similar to Robin, she has way too different tomes and moves, she could be unique
-After Hyrule Warriors, the last thing I want to see is Impa being a Sheik clone. She deserves better and has the potential to do better
-Same with Isabelle being a Villager clone. A moveset based on the public projects and constructing stuff out of nowhere could be way cooler
-Dark Samus has potential to be way more unique than a Samus clone/semiclone but we all know Smash's history with dark characters

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
My current clone expectations

Funky Kong (DK semi clone )
Ninten (Ness/Lucas semi clone)
Yarn Yoshi ( Yoshi clone)
Tails/Knuckles ( Sonic Semi Clones)

Roberk

Smash Champion
While not exactly similar to clones, I'd love some more costumes in Smash 5. Costumes like Alph, M/F Robin and Corrin/WFT, Villagers, and definitely Koopalings are what I want to see when it comes to similar character representation. Characters that deserve to be in Smash, but not enough to get a new moveset or even be a clone. If implemented well, model swaps for existing characters can be one of the best new forms of representations in Smash. Masked Luigi, Masked De De De, generic FE swords being Marth costumes, and many others can be nice compromises between being clones and existing characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For those that want Yarn Yoshi to be more aerial-based:

Regular Yoshi already has the best aerial game in the series, do you really want an even MORE broken air fighter?
Well.. Then make Yarn Yoshi more floaty and feather weight so that the offset becomes far more noticable.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I know a Guest Character would never be used as a simple clone, but I would love to have Ryu Hayabusa as a clone of Greninja (with a little bit of Shiek mixed in).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, it's possible for a guest character to have a clone, sure... but it'd probably just be a clone of that particular guest character. I.E. Akuma for Ryu. Or at least keep to the same franchise.

osby

Smash Obsessed
What do you mean by this? Can you elaborate?
You said they can make generic FE swords as Marth costumes. There are no humanoid swords in Fire Emblem (and they wouldn't be generic anyway). They can't give them Marth's moveset.

Shock3600

Smash Rookie
You said they can make generic FE swords as Marth costumes. There are no humanoid swords in Fire Emblem (and they wouldn't be generic anyway). They can't give them Marth's moveset.
Are you making a joke about no literal swords being humanoid or saying that Marth is the only humanoid sword user

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Are you making a joke about no literal swords being humanoid or saying that Marth is the only humanoid sword user
It's the former. And also kind of a silly joke that is now going on too long.

Marth could indeed get some alternate costumes of various FE users, but, imo, I think having slight references via colors works better here.

UserKev

Smash Champion
As far as Echoes, please give me Doc Louis and Alph. Give Doc star punches and Alph the rock pikmin.

Knuckles would be amazing, but won't get in before Shadow.

Top Bottom