• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ever Pulled an All-nighter?

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I've done it twice in two weeks now.

Not something I want to repeat.

Yeah, start yapping, you lovely little turds.

Matt

Banned via Administration
I've pulled at least ten of 'em this year, but not because I just couldn't sleep. No, it's because I was at LAN parties.

I am such a nerd... :(

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
heh heh. Lans rule. I'm going to one on the xmas holydays and can't wait.

Don Muffin

Smash Journeyman
Doing it right now, but not for games. Had the flu Friday to Monday, and was so incapacitated I missed school and couldn't do anything on the weekend. Now, I have to do all this in six hours:

2 AP English essays
3 AP Environment chapter outlines
Study for an AP Enviro quiz make-up, and a unit test
Study for an AP World History unit test make-up
Study for two Chemistry quizzes (one is a make-up)
Affirmative constructive for Debate Team
Algebra scatterplot project

edit: Spanish vocabulary quiz too.

And I have an AP Government term-paper due Friday.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
World of Warcraft comes out the 23rd, so I will most definatly skip sleep that night (and school the next day) and play straight through Wednesday as long as I possibly can (probably late Wednesday night). That going to be a long day, heh.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Once upon a time, in the magical land of make believe, Mr. VD, the magical stupid-person-everyone-knows/STD of the forum, stayed up until 5 AM three night in a row, getting up again at 8 each day.
He will never do this again, because he has learned an important lesson:
DON'T DO DRUGS, KIDS!

Red Dragon

Smash Lord
I pulled an all nighter 6 times last month, and once this month, most times were just getting drunk out of me arse. :D

Red: pass the crippie George....

George: I only got one hit dude!!, wait up!!!!!

*George and Red laugh uncontrollably*

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
sounds like a good time.

a good time to suck, that is.
I think I might have pulled an all nighter one or two times before just with my friends, but usually I go to sleep after a while if things are boring.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
couple weeks ago, when i had my physics and my electrical engineering midterm on the same day....back to back...ugh.
i didnt intend on pulling an all-nighter, but when i went to bed like 2 hours before when i wake up, i couldnt really go to sleep.
i didnt get much sleep that week. had a lab practical test the next day and a history midterm the following day.
staying up didnt seem to help much either. i only scored a couple points higher than the 22% average >_<
but i aced the midterm that was right after, so i guess that balances out.....

soberfox

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can go without sleep like it's nothing. I only sleep about every other night, but when I do sleep it's usually for about 12 hours or more. I have been doing this since about the third grade, and I seriously don't understand why people feel the need to go to sleep every single night.

Z?

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I'm about to have my tonsils taken out. During this break from work I plan on playing world of warcraft and halo 2. I imagine I won't have any sleep the night resident evil 4 comes out either..

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
My friends and I stayed up all night throughout the summer. Not so much during the school year anymore, although probably over Christmas break.

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've been pulling all-nighters at friends' houses and such since I was maybe nine years old. Yeah, at first it made me sick to my stomach and gave me that "I wanna go home early" mentality, but at least I ruined my brain forever much pretty.

Homework has never been a reason for me to stay up. I figure I can just do it in the morning, but when sunrise comes I've already forgotten it. F's are Fun and Fantastic. I must say, a 3.0 GPA is not hard to get at all.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I haven't pulled one, i expect that when i go to university i might have to.

The closest i've gotten is during last summer, where i stayed awake through all darkness.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
For fun, not doing homework. Seriously, I would never stay up late to do homework. I've only stayed up all night playing videogames, watching TV or talking to people.

Personally I don't like it. Makes me feel really greasy and ****.

KaoS

BRoomer
BRoomer
The only time I stayed up all night was because I couldn't go to sleep... because I was tripping on shrooms.

Only once though. And never again. Shrooms are teh ghey.

Stick with pot and beer, kids.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Seriously, I would never stay up late to do homework.
I wouldn't either, if I had had the sense to work on it ahead of time.

As it was, it was 20% of my grade, so I figured I had to get that **** done.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Originally posted by Mediocre
I've yet to meet someone who enjoys staying up all night doing homework.
That'd be me.

Not often, mind you. But when I pull an all-nighter to write a paper, it's actually a very... spiritual experience ^_^

Not, like, as in I find God. Jesus doesn't jump out of a bush and moon me or anything. I just do my best writing when I get into a kind of trance at 5am. A combination of lack of sleep and energy drinks makes English papers and essays very interesting, especially when I first have to read an entire genre of literature. Or two. Then pick a topic of my choice and rattle on for 8-10 pages.

Yes. I'm such an English major.

Speakings of which... I'm off to pull an all nighter. 12-15 page paper due tomorrow. Woo.

-Scav

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
I have pulled all-nighters before.

Let's see, I've probably done them about 10 times this year for weekends that were during school....

And I've pulled at LEAST 60 all-nighters every summer since three years ago.

Roughly 200 :D

MEH, STARCRAFT OWNED ME LIFE LOL

Crash

Smash Journeyman
i real all nighter doesnt' mean you stay up all night then sleep in day, it means you skip all sleep for a full day, a real all nighter should have you being awake for about 34-40 hours i've only done it once, ever, cause i needed to get my sleeping schedule adjusted, i woke up at 1, didn't go back to sleep around 6 am when i normally would, but stayed up and finally crashed really hardcore at 10 pm

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Scav's All-nighter Diary

10:41 pm, central time

All right, I'm set! After walking through the drizzling humidity and chilled Houston air, only to find the first computer lab packed, I braved the lab next-door. The dreaded Ryon Lab, where the comp sci majors roam. The smell of linoleum assaulted me as the door locked behind me. I pocketed my ID card, found a free computer, and spent the next hour reading a collection of personal essays by Augusten Burroughs. It's research, afterall. I have to write something equally brilliant.

Actually, I spent the hour staring at the nerdy-but-attractive girl sitting on the computer in front, in addition to reading. Not really of attraction... I'm just baffled that she's talking about dropping packets and TCP protocols to the indian student next to her.

I haven't had to crack a red bull yet, but I shall continue to document my extremely boring events that nobody cares about.

Maybe when I finish my book I'll start writing. Yeah, that's it.

FaTmAn2k20

Smash Journeyman
Nice intro Scav, I'm hooked ;) Unfortunately I think I'll have to miss part of it and read it tomorrow, cuz there's no way I'm staying up just to read it.

Topic Question: Yes, I have stayed up all night, never for school though. There's no way I would ever stay up for schoolwork, at least not while I'm in high school.

Zootematix

Artist formally known as ToadBanjoConker
BRoomer
I pull all-nighters all the time. This is generally the case for a university student who likes to procrastinate A LOT.

My average bedtime is 4am. Yeah....I know =/.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
4:03 am

Dear Diary,

It's been a while since my last update. I finished my book. It ended with a happy, gay scene laced with a tinge of nostalgia. "Gay," of course, in the homosexual sense. The author really loves his boyfriend. It's quite charming.

That done, I plotted out my essay, wrote a few ideas mostly involving what a terrible person I am, and decided it was time for food.

"Food" entailed returning to my dorm, ordering pizza, chowing, playing some 1v1 in Metroid Prime 2, chatting for an hour, and then walking around in the rain under an umbrella with one of the girls for an additional hour. Two muddy feet later I finally returned to Ryon lab. My first Red Bull is wearing off, and I've barely started my paper.

Time to get to work.

4:50 am
Popped my second Redbull. I haven't yet started. What are all-nighters for, anyways? I could have slept until now, woken at 5 in the morning, and gotten an equal amount of work done. Or I could have done it at 3 this afternoon, when instead I took a nap. So I napped when I should be working and am working when I could have slept.

Oh yeah. It's meditative. I feel myself slipping into that trance, where I get a kind of tunnel vision and the words finally start flowing. The combination of artificial chemicals (Taurine and Caffeine, woot) with lack of sleep dampen my thoughts into a stream of ideas.

Remember, kids! When pulling an all nighter, it only SEEMS like what you're writing is brilliant. The ideas are... but make sure you proofread when you're not drunk with lack of sleep! The best method is to write all night, then sleep for 4 hours, then proofread.

If only I had music. Perhaps soon I'll make a stop to grab my headphones and dig up an internet radio station.

But for now... it's time to write.

5:52 am

Success, my essay is taking shape. Very few actual worthwile lines written, but I've plotted most of the structure. My symbolism is more consistant and I wrote up a great ending that should stay with the class for a while. Now I just need a beginning and middle...

I'm nursing a Cherry Coke. Cherry because it tastes nasty, and thus I'll drink it slower than I would a regular coke. Ryon lab is very empty, and so I've spread all along the front table of 4 computers. I'm surrounded by papers, both typed and blank, with scrawls and pen markings and random notes like a general pouring over his maps. I've now decided that I'm a genius, and that this is an essay I've been waiting my entire life to write. All I have to do is translate my brilliance into prose, which shouldn't be TOO hard.

In other news, Jesus jumped out from a bush and mooned me.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
But for now... it's time to write.
Go for it, you sexy procrastinating beast!

nerdy-but-attractive girl
What do you mean, "nerdy-but-attractive?"

Nerdiness in no way precludes or even hampers attractiveness.

Nerdy girls are sexy.

I'm wondering, after an all-nighter, how do you feel the rest of the day? This is assuming that you don't go to sleep immediately afterwards, of course.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
When I think of a nerdy girl, it more conjures an image of complexion for me. "Nerdy girls" in my mind all look similar -- they're thin, long dusty-blond hair (almost colorless), with glasses, pale skin (not necessarily with freckles), and a surprisingly nice body that they hide beneath frizzy sweaters and jeans. That's not a terribly good description... it sounds like its from Not Another Teen Movie. But whatever. Nerdy girls are quite sexy, I agree ;) but it's an entirely different kind of sexy. And yes, I'm sure we all know the occasional model bombshell who takes compsci... but those are mutants, not nerds.

And in answer to your question, it's actually quite invigorating. I'm a zombie, but an energetic zombie. But god sleeping feels nice afterwards...

And now, an update!

6:20 am
Soon I'll start transferring my mountain of notes to typing. We're due for a sunrise, but I can feel a sugar crash looming on the brightening horizon. I figure I have another hour and a half, tops, of constructive work ahead of me. Hopefully I can make enough progress in that time that I can ride the tide of exhaustion out for the remaining 9 hours before my paper is due.

I'm feeling surprisingly lucid, but words are starting to come a little harder, and my focus is waning. Not that it was that strong to begin with.

7:02 am

Ahh, sunrise. This is by far my favorite part of an all-nighter.

When the sun hits, it's mine. I *earned* this sunrise. Waking up for it doesn't compare. After the ordeal I've gone through tonight, the sunrise is mine and mine alone. I can hear the sounds of life returning to campus. First the lawn guys come, then the first students wake up and jog to the gym. Birds make some pleasant noises, and cars are audible from outside the Loop. More and more students wake up and start getting ready for class... but I'm still working on my paper, and they don't know what they've missed. They missed my sunrise. Mine.

7:38 am
I'm at 6 pages. The essay isn't the brilliance that I had hoped, but hopefully I'll have something moldable into a strong 2nd draft. I'm waning fast, and soon I might have to head to the student center in hopes that an emergency Red Bull would tide me over until Class. I'm trying to figure out a way that I can snatch a few hours of sleep before I listen to an lecture on the life of William De Kooning, but it isn't looking like that's possible.

While the essay isn't the scintillating prose I'd hoped it would be, I'm still holding out hope that my ending will tie everything together. But there is much more work to be done... I'm shooting for a 15 page essay, and I'm only at 6 pages.

As you can see, this is the pessimistic portion of the spiritual all-nighter. It's also do-or-die time. Namely, at any moment I could lie down and fall asleep for 3-4 hours. My class is at 3:00. I have until then to craft this essay into something workable. But the bed is calling... "sleeeeep.... sleeeeep..."

The solution is to drill on, because any pause could be my last. I might leave a sentance dangling and never return. But if I finish this draft, at 10 pages or so, then I can at least grant myself a much-desired shower.

Sleeep.... sleeeeeep... NO! BACK DEMONS! BACK!

8:36 am
10 pages. My very rough first draft is done. Now it's time to take a shower, grab some breakfast, buy another redbull, and hope I don't get enticed into my bed. If all of that is successful, I'll be ready for my second draft by 10:00.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
I once tried to pull an all-weeker, as a challenge. Only lasted 50 hours. Let me tell you, it's ****ing HARD to stay awake without imbibing any caffeine and without any pertinent tasks to accomplish. Maybe if I were engrossed in work or a cool game...but just staying up with some friends...you get bored after 40 hours.

I know you'll think 50 hours is wussy. That's exactly what I thought when it's all my brother managed, which led me to challenge him and do it myself. And we all hit a wall at 50 hours where it was just **** to keep going. Possible, but not desireable at all. I have a good video clip my brother took from it of me sitting at the table, almost falling asleep, head dropping, and then popping back up. Like, every 5 seconds.

-B

Shade520

Smash Apprentice
Holy crap B, that must have been tough. I have only been able to stay awake for a mear 37 hours without my head hitting the desk, all because of Lans...they keep me up for hours. Sadly not anymore, we have easily cheapified every game we play...

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I had a friend who did something similar, B ;). He and his friend decided to see who could stay up for longer. By the 3rd day or so they were begging eachother to let it be a draw. By that point it just wasn't WORTH it anymore for em.

As for me...

10:52 am
I am weak. I slept until 10:20, and then showered. So, so very weak...

I'm pulling out my first draft now for a line-edit and to add in the missing sections. Hopefully I'm conscious enough.

Mav

Furries For The Win
Wow Scav that is insane. But I've been down that road before so I know the feeling =)

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
If I stay awake the day after an all-nighter, I'll start having a very strange sensation. I'll close my eyes, then open them and stare at the wall, and suddenly all have this weird all-body spasm.

I did this in social studies class after I stayed up all night working on my final project, and, needless to say, it generated a few laughs from the people sitting behind me.

But my social studies project kicked major ***, so it was worth it. In fact, I probably did the best job of anybody in the class, despite running on no sleep and not having worked on it at all before then.

The same thing happened with my political science project. I wrote the entire eight page essay in one night (plus finding sources I still needed), went to school the next day, handed it in, and went back home to take a nap. When she hands 'em back out, I've got a 97. One of her comments: "Michael, you've obviously spent a lot of time on this project. Your conclusion is logical and very well researched."

Still, it's not worth screwing your sleep and your schedule.

I'm pulling out my first draft now for a line-edit and to add in the missing sections. Hopefully I'm conscious enough.
Make sure to show us the finished project. After you're done with class, of course.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
you really wanna read an english major's 12-15 page paper over some random person who liked homosexual orgies?

... ****, when i think of it that way, i'm interested now...

Top Bottom