• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[European Ruleset] #7 : Pictochat

Pictochat: Counterpick or Banned?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
People never played on pictochat (DONT DENY IT, you saw the stage and tried it, then saw the hazards and you were like 'THIS CANT BE A CP EVER' and stopped playing on it) so they DONT KNOW THE STAGE. This is the only reason ban is voted atm. Besides, the pro CP side still has a nice post on the first post by me to help people who don't know the stage. I'm willing to write up something on every transition if necessary, the thing I don't understand is how PEOPLE DON'T REPLY TO MY POST and still vote BAN. If you vote ban back it up by proving that my large *** post has fatal flaws as to why it should be banned.

BTW, wtf is inui doing voting on an EUROPEAN poll? Get out you silly American, your vote won't be counted anyways.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
No one said gay.

Yes, conservative lists are limiting, that's the whole point. Oh, and they're also more fair.

CPs are banned because they could cause unfair outcomes or are just unplayable. PC is both. Stages are never game breaking.

You can't remember because you never play.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Well, if Inui isn't allowed to vote, are you? He's a very experienced player and I'm sure he has more experience with the stage and in general. So he has a better view on stages. I actually think INuii is more qualified than you are.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Well, if Inui isn't allowed to vote, are you? He's a very experienced player and I'm sure he has more experience with the stage and in general. So he has a better view on stages. I actually think INuii is more qualified than you are.
No he isn't. These are the european boards. He probably doesn't even have more experience as it's banned over there. And I couldn't care less about what you think.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
the line between hazards affecting the game enough to be banned or not is thin but with Pictochat it has clearly been passed.

not only does it affect the players with damage and knockback it most importantly constantly resets the momentum of the match (not talking about stocks and damage but the current action) which is one of the most important factors in competitive play.

unlike other CPs which give certain characters an advantage over others, Pictochat only advantages the lesser player, going against the very essence of competion.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
unlike other CPs which give certain characters an advantage over others, Pictochat only advantages the lesser player, going against the very essence of competion.
How does it only advantage the lesser player? I thought top players are the best adapters out there, which is a large part of the stage. If you get beat by noobs just because of the stage you should learn it better.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Really, Inui has no business on these boards and that's final. In the States Pictochat is (apparently, looking at recent tourny vids) legal in some states.

The few ban-worthy elements PC might have according to Inui's unsupported, even unvocalized claims, is still a mystery to all of us.

No one on the pro-ban side has said anything relevant about the stage so far, people on the anti-ban side have. This translates to anti-ban actually having arguments, and pro-ban having Inui nothing.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
How does it only advantage the lesser player? I thought top players are the best adapters out there, which is a large part of the stage. If you get beat by noobs just because of the stage you should learn it better.
i clearly explained why in my post, try finding counter arguments. and that last part of your post was useless, i could simply answer: if you can't beat good players on competitive stages you should just learn the game better.

Really, Inui has no business on these boards and that's final. In the States Pictochat is (apparently, looking at recent tourny vids) legal in some states.

The few ban-worthy elements PC might have according to Inui's unsupported, even unvocalized claims, is still a mystery to all of us.

No one on the pro-ban side has said anything relevant about the stage so far, people on the anti-ban side have. This translates to anti-ban actually having arguments, and pro-ban having Inui nothing.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
you're wrong, read my posts.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
seriously SERIOUSLY, WHY IS THIS EVEN UP FOR DISCUSSION, this stage is way too random, WAY TOO RANDOM

why would u make brawl even more random.. WHY WHYYYYYYYYY

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
i clearly explained why in my post, try finding counter arguments. and that last part of your post was useless, i could simply answer: if you can't beat good players on competitive stages you should just learn the game better.
You should learn the game better if you lose.

the line between hazards affecting the game enough to be banned or not is thin but with Pictochat it has clearly been passed.
Opinion
not only does it affect the players with damage and knockback it most importantly constantly resets the momentum of the match (not talking about stocks and damage but the current action) which is one of the most important factors in competitive play.
Hey, Halberd can do the first. PS1 can do the second! Brinstar can do both! All three are CPs too. It does not cross the line.

Further arguments in this thread:
CPs are banned because they could cause unfair outcomes or are just unplayable. PC is both. Stages are never game breaking
Opinion. PC Is very playable and doesn't cause unfair outcomes to those knowing the stage

Ban this ****.
GG Tero.

Like I said, this stage is terrible for half the time. Spikes on the side of the stage prevent one from getting kills and deal damage. Other spikes, fire, rockets etc. also deal damage. Every throw can lead to an unfair advantage for the opponent. And opposed to stages like Halberd, this stage has more damaging hazards that are out longer and cannot be DId out of.
First sentence = opinion. Spikes don't prevent kills as it depends on which hitbox you hit (You didnt know that huh? cause you have no exp on the stage like everyone else posting here not knowing ****). Hazards aren't out that long and they can be DI'd out of.

Another argument is the constant static constructions on the stage. They make the stage unplayable and more than often cause situations in which a player is randomly put in a disadvantageous situation.
Constant static constructions go away as soon as they appear. Again, this is comparable to brinstar in which the stage can change, only difference is that a player can induce the change on brinstar and you can't on picto.

This is less the case in the stages you mentioned. Pokemon Stadium (1), Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege, Frigate Orpheon or Halberd do not have hazards that actually cause a bad situation for yourself, they only cause benificial situations for the opponent. This is the biggest difference.
PS1. tell me how nobody attacking is a bad position only for your opponent?
LC. Tilting can be bad for both sides
YI. if you are doing a firewolf while recovering, and suddenly a platform comes up while you're just being shot by your upb, you will get punished. bad position. if you are falco and youre being happy with lasers and shy guys fly by, it's bad for you
Delfino. it doesnt really have any hazards, the stage just changes. stage shape can go 2 ways
CS. statues can work 2 ways, like always. it can cause a bad situation if you're i.e. pit.
FO. Flipping not causing a bad situation for yourself? lol
Halberd. place the laser on the ledge, then watch your opponents fail, lol.

Also, Pictochat has a wide variaty of hazards. Most stages have a small amount of hazards. The hazards on pictochat are unpredictable and very hard to adapt to. Could add some more stuff here.
Unpredictable, yes. But the hitboxes don't immediately appear. Very hard to adapt to, false argument. Practice on the stage.

We have got to be consistent in our judgement. If we cannot accept RC (which is the consensus), then we cannot accept this stage for the previously mentioned reasons. If you look at the RC thread, you will find less arguments in favor of banning the stage. So the only option is banning this stage.
You're saying PC is in the same caliber as RC, I disagree.

All arguments just been obliterated. Still the ban side is voting without replying to our arguments. The votes are so invalid

Lord Chair

Smash Master
The votes are so invalid
Sometimes I wish days like these would go on forever...

What? Oh yes, the discussion.

People should have more experience before they go whine about stages they don't know. That's all there is to say about it, because honestly people who vote pro-ban probably aren't even bothering with reading this post.

Everything Pictochat features is featured on other stages as well, point made.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
How come two of the worse people in the Netherlands actually want this stage allowed and the better players want it banned? No, it's not coincidence.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
there's one thing you systematically miss: the importance of the extent at which the hazards of each stage affect the game. i would say that it is simply common sense for anyone who plays the game that Pictochat's hazard are far more disturbing than the stages you listed but you would say that is simply my opinion wich is why we must leave the fate of this choice to a vote to know what the majority thinks.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
How come two of the worse people in the Netherlands actually want this stage allowed and the better players want it banned? No, it's not coincidence.
Oh no he didn't.

Come on, taking a decent discussion into trashtalking and flaming isn't álways the way to go.

there's one thing you systematically miss: the importance of the extent at which the hazards of each stage affect the game. i would say that it is simply common sense for anyone who plays the game that Pictochat's hazard are far more disturbing than the stages you listed but you would say that is simply my opinion wich is why we must leave the fate of this choice to a vote to know what the majority thinks
The whole idea of the anti-ban side so far has been to convince people of the fact that the hazards are not that disturbing, not as disturbing as the ones on other, legal, stages. They just appear more often.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
well i've given my reasons why it should be banned, though i know in the end it will be decided simply by personal opinion of the majority. i've got to go now so can't debate any further but just think of this: why would you CP this stage in a set unless you hope that your oppponent who is better than you will get gayed by the stage?

G'night!

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
well i've given my reasons why it should be banned, though i know in the end it will be decided simply by personal opinion of the majority. i've got to go now so can't debate any further but just think of this: why would you CP this stage in a set unless you hope that your oppponent who is better than you will get gayed by the stage?

G'night!
I would because my character has an easy time positioning on this stage in such a way that the hazards are positive. I like the stage too

i will wait.. but i see no good reasons for banning it. some help plz?
Have you made up your mind yet Grew? Remember you can walljump here xD

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Flaming and trashtalking ahve nothing to do with this. It's actually the fact you lack experience and knowledge to a certain entent.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Flaming and trashtalking ahve nothing to do with this. It's actually the fact you lack experience and knowledge to a certain entent.
Yes of course.

I, who have experience with this stage, most certainly have less knowledge and experience with this stage than, for example, you, who has no experience with the stage.

If you mean that general knowledge of the game is a factor, and you were implying that I 'suck' and therefore any arguments I may come up with are automatically rendered null and void...

You're wrong in more than 1 perspective.

Tero.

Smash Champion
No he isn't. These are the european boards. He probably doesn't even have more experience as it's banned over there. And I couldn't care less about what you think.
It's an open poll afterall, since your fine with people without knowledge voting I'm fine with Inui voting.

But yeah let's ban RC and allow this stage...

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
It's an open poll afterall, since your fine with people without knowledge voting I'm fine with Inui voting.

But yeah let's ban RC and allow this stage...
Inui is ****ing AMERICAN. this is an EUROPEAN board. thats FINAL. No discussion. It's different, you have to be REALLY desperate to have someone who has NOTHING to do with us actually change something WE do.

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP COMPARING RC TO PICTO, that's no argument!

Still we have the post open on page one, once someone destroys it I can leave this discussion in peace. So far like 90% of bans votes are invalid cause my post still stood while they were made/they gave no argument. CP votes are valid cause we still have open arguments on which people agree with.

K@0S

Smash Ace
WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP COMPARING RC TO PICTO, that's no argument!
Probably because in people's mind (including mine), PC is more ban-worthy than RC.

Hazards are way too strong and happen too often imo, and this alone makes it a banned stage.

And that Kirby bug lolol

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Something with downB that can be done on oh so many stages.

Hazards are not so bad, you guys are overestimating the stage lol

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Look guys, if you're gonna allow Pictochat and PTAD, why not reput Japes and RC into the list? We're either following one model or another. There's no such thing as a middle point.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Look guys, if you're gonna allow Pictochat and PTAD, why not reput Japes and RC into the list? We're either following one model or another. There's no such thing as a middle point.
Care to explain why there is no middle point?

Japes and RC counter a specific group of characters, Picto obviously does not.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
People should stop using the reasoning "If stage X is allowed/banned, we have to allow/ban stage Y too!", because it's incredibly stupid. And not an argument at all.

There's a reason we are doing a democratic vote.
The majority voted to ban Rainbow Cruise. Therefore it got banned.
If the majority votes for PictoChat to be allowed, then you have to accept that. Even if Rainbow Cruise is banned.

No ifs or buts.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Seriously, you're getting on my nerves. Can't you read?

I said IF the majority votes for PictoChat to be allowed.

Top Bottom