• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Euro. Ruleset : Vote on the number of starters

What number of starters would you prefer ?

• 3 stages

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • 5 stages

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • 7 stages

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blad01

Smash Lord
In the previous discussions for an European Ruleset, we have met some disagreements about the number of stages that should be allowed as starters (that means, for the first turn of a set).

The best solution is to resort to a vote, so here we are :

Option 1 : 3 stages (Battlefield + Final Destination + SmashVille).

3 stages + Blind Striking is theorically one of the fairest way to begin a set. I will not explain it in details here, but you can use the other threads.

Furthermore, BF, FD and SV are the only stages that are universally considered as neutral, or at least the closest to neutral.

Option 2 : 5 stages (Battlefield + Final Destination + SmashVille + Yoshi's Island + A fifth stage [Lylat Cruise or Pokemon Stadium 1 most likely])

5 stages is the most common rule used in Smash tournaments. It has the advantage to give a little more diversity, while still being a fair system.
However, it includes a fifth stage that, besides being less closer than neutral than the others stages, can be hard to chose.

Option 3 : 7 stages (Battlefield + Final Destination + SmashVille + Yoshi's Island + Pokemon Stadium 1 + Lylat Cruise + Delfino)

The 7 stages rule brings a lot more diversity than the two others rulesets. Furthermore, you don't have to make a hard and tied choice for a fifth stage.
However, it remains the less fair system out of the three, and includes a lot of borderline stages.

Now, please vote ! :)

TreK

Is "that guy"
5 stages would allow stage striking which would be awesome.

Gmoney_

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna vote for 3 stages. 7 syages are a little too much to choose from imo and if ur gonne do 5 stages with striking, the first battle will most likely start on either Battlefield or smashville, so its no use to strike from 5 stages

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Brawl... -_-

*pukes & walks out*
Why the hell are you here then?

Anybody wanna clean up that mess Amsah left here by CLOSING THIS THREAD?
Ahem... Go play Melee. What are you doing here telling people around to close threads?

Go **** yourself...

Brawl bashing happens in the U.S.A all the time, and this **** has to happen here? I thought we were more educated than that.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
And Melee players wonder why Brawl players don't want to play Melee. Well, there you have the most major one of your reasons.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
And Melee players wonder why Brawl players don't want to play Melee. Well, there you have the most major one of your reasons.
I play 64, Melee and Brawl+ just as much as Brawl, and I like all four games for what they are. I don't have any prejudice against people playing any of the smash games. I may agree with some Melee players that Brawl has flaws at the competitive level in comparison to it's predecessor, but guess what? It's been a year and a half and we ALREADY KNOW THAT. So why do we have to continue to put up with all the bashing surrounding Brawl? Why should this pointless flamefest go on? Why must regular Brawl players feel attacked all the time just for playing a game they might actually like? They don't deserve that.

And as much respect I have for you, amsah, who's one of the best players in Europe, I really think appearing on a brawl thread you could have simply ignored just to leave a comment to provoke/offend Brawl players shows a complete lack of maturity. Grow up.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Heh, maybe so.

Also, to elaborate on my opinion... Against characters like Dedede and Ice Climbers I'd much rather strike from 5 stages so I wouldn't have to play them on FD or Smashville in the first match.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
So let me get this straight, you refuse to play Melee because some of the players dislike Brawl?

How does that make any sense at all?

Why the hell are you here then?
You think I came in here willingly?! I was tricked! I'm the victim here...:urg:

I saw the thread title on the first page, I clicked the link fully expecting it to be a Melee thread. But to my unpleasant surprise it turned out to be about Melee's inbred mutant baby brother Brawl.

It's been a while since I last saw that hideous monstrosity, but this thread brought back some horrible memories which left a bad taste in my mouth. So I puked and walked out

And as much respect I have for you, amsah, who's one of the best players in Europe, I really think appearing on a brawl thread you could have simply ignored just to leave a comment to provoke/offend Brawl players shows a complete lack of maturity. Grow up.
If openly disliking a game is offending or provoking to Brawlers they have some serious issues and should consider getting professional help.

My post wasn't meant to insult anyone, it was to entertain those who share my sense of humor.

Greward

Smash Lord
5 or 9, i voted 5 since there's no 9 stages option.

amsah is ok here. he hates brawl as much as i hate brawl+ . It's common to hate the "following" game of the game u play =P

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
amsah is ok here. he hates brawl as much as i hate brawl+ . It's common to hate the "following" game of the game u play =P
*disagrees*

I loved SSB64 and considered it the best game ever.
Then came Melee, I completely forgot about SSB64 and fell in love with this new version.
Then Brawl showed its ugly head and did the exact opposite, rather than making me like it, it sadly enough only strengthened my love for Melee.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Well the fact that you disagree doesn't make it uncommon...

If openly disliking a game is offending or provoking to Brawlers they have some serious issues and should consider getting professional help.

My post wasn't meant to insult anyone, it was to entertain those who share my sense of humor.
Well, it could be annoying, because you're not the only one.

Thing is, Brawl players read this thread.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Even though I don't want to encourage Brawl hate, I think that Amsah's message was not really insulting; it all depends on how you want to read it. He hates Brawl, so what ? There shouldn't be any answers to that kind of post anymore...Just play the game you like.
And if anyone feels the need - for an odd reason - to express his disapointment about a game, just don't answer to it. You don't have to care about his opinion, as long as you are sure about yours.

Anyways, back on topic : The poll closes in one month from now, so if you haven't voted yet, please do now. Especially when the poll is so tied :o

Blad01

Smash Lord
So you're saying people are not allowed to reply to those posts, but making them is ok?
I was not writing this part as a moderator, it was just an advice that could help in that pointless Melee - Brawl thing.

As long as you are not insulting or harsh, you are allowed to make both kind of posts, obviously. (Even though some moderators would probably have been stricter with Amsah, but that was not my point anyways :p)

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Well the fact that you disagree doesn't make it uncommon...
Fair enough.

How does that change anything? It's still my opinion. Why should you care if others like or dislike the game you enjoy playing?

Melee has been bashed by people from Shoryuken for as long as I can remember. It doesn't bother me one bit and why should it? Those ignorant fools obviously haven't played the game as intensely as I have and fail to look beyond the kiddy skin and see the best fighter ever made.

Thing is, Brawl players read this thread.
What does that make me?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
So let me get this straight, you refuse to play Melee because some of the players dislike Brawl?

How does that make any sense at all?
I refuse to play Melee because I:
1.) Prefer Brawl.
2.) Get flamed by Melee-fascists because of my personal preference.
and 3.) Got heavily insulted and made fun of because of my "lack of skill" in Melee, although I'm having a physical handicap that prohibits me performing several technical crap.

I tried to play Melee for the Viennese community, and picked a character not needing technical play, and I still got absolutely no respect and laughed at.
Furthermore, I've been heavily insulted and attacked by the Melee players because I plan on doing a Brawl tournament here in Vienna.

I simply don't have any interest into a game I like less and only get pissed on for because I have a heredetary defect on my joints.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
What does that make me?
A funny guy ? :laugh:
And anyway, Amsah's post was actually pointing something useful : the title of the thread should mention it's the Brawl ruleset. I did the same as Amsah, coming in this thread to see something quite interesting, and... I must say I was kinda disappointed =p

and 3.) Got heavily insulted and made fun of because of my "lack of skill" in Melee, although I'm having a physical handicap that prohibits me performing several technical crap.
Well, unless they weren't aware of your handicap (and still), you just met some *******s. Those aren't specific to the Melee community =p

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Amsah, I wasn't saying ONLY brawl players read this thread. But whatever, some people dislike posts like yours. Personally, I don't give a ****, I like both games (prefer melee though).

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
I refuse to play Melee because I:
1.) Prefer Brawl.
Which has nothing to do with my post.

2.) Get flamed by Melee-fascists because of my personal preference.
Which I didn't do in my post.

3.) Got heavily insulted and made fun of because of my "lack of skill" in Melee, although I'm having a physical handicap that prohibits me performing several technical crap.
Which I didn't do in my post either.

How exactly am I one of the major reasons people don't play Melee again?

Amsah, I wasn't saying ONLY brawl players read this thread.
That's clearly what you were implying though. :lick:

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Actually I wasn't implying ****, I just wanted to make clear you could have annoyed some smashers, that's all. Anyway, I'll stop replying, this isn't going anywhere.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
It's not you alone, it's the fact that if you have to read/hear that crap on a pretty much daily base, it's going on your nerves a LOT.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
And all I did was express my distaste for Brawl. How that makes people not want to play Melee is beyond me.
Replying in such an aggressive way (at least it can be interpreted as such) makes people think twice about the Melee community, as this kind of behavior is more commonly spotted.

I honestly never see Brawlers complain about melee, though.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer

It's not you alone, it's the fact that if you have to read/hear that crap on a pretty much daily base, it's going on your nerves a LOT.
Not really.

Replying in such an aggressive way (at least it can be interpreted as such) makes people think twice about the Melee community, as this kind of behavior is more commonly spotted.
When was I aggressive towards anyone? I don't hate Brawl players, I just hate Brawl.

I honestly never see Brawlers complain about melee, though.
You can't complain about perfection.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
I only said that it is often interpreted as such, and you have that to thank to your fellow melee players.
A small group of *******s doesn't stand for an entire community. And an entire community of *******s doesn't stand for every individual within the community.

I am me. I do not wish to be punished for the sins of those who came before me and happen to enjoy the same game.

:lick:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
A small group of *******s doesn't stand for an entire community. And an entire community of *******s doesn't stand for every individual within the community.

I am me. I do not wish to be punished for the sins of those who came before me and happen to enjoy the same game.
Well you will be punished for the sins of those who came before you. Deal with it.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
This is so funny. Like Onishiba said, Brawl players kinda hear this stuff a lot. So it can be really annoying.

... Got nothing left to say, seems like everyone is doing this for fun or something.

Top Bottom