• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

English Voice?

CornCross

Smash Rookie
Just a quick question:

Does anyone know about Marth getting an English voice-over?

I know why they didn't do it in Melee, but Ike has an English one, so I don't see why not.

Just wondering if I missed that.

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
I doubt and really hope im right. Ike has an english voice because his game was for the GC and already had a english voice actor. fox didn't really have an english voice actor as well, though they did overwrite his victory phrases (though they all became mission complete) and his taunt and that was it.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I wouldent mind The *** voice for Marth, but.. for Pit.. I'd rather have an american one, I dunno. just seems right.

Its been said, Ike has an american Game, with Voice Actors, Marth dosent.

__

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I really hope that he keeps his Japanese voice (like Pit). Japanese voice actors or seyus are much better than those in the US.
I doubt and really hope im right. Ike has an english voice because his game was for the GC and already had a english voice actor. fox didn't really have an english voice actor as well, though they did overwrite his victory phrases (though they all became mission complete) and his taunt and that was it.
I wouldent mind The *** voice for Marth, but.. for Pit.. I'd rather have an american one, I dunno. just seems right.

Its been said, Ike has an american Game, with Voice Actors, Marth dosent.

__
I agree with all.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Ugh, I hope he doesn't have an english voice.

I usually don't mind english voices, but marth is just one of those characters that were NEVER meant to speak english. I don't know why. It just doesn't feel right at all.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman
It would seem right to me, honestly. To me Marth looks like a Templar Knight from Europe... so not an american accent, but maybe a British or even more awesomely a French accent. The Knights Templar originated in France, so it would make sense to me.

Look:

vs.

# 5 on that image.

Pretty similar outfit he's got going.

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
The FE anime had an english adaptation I believe, if so, they could
use marth's voice from that...

and if you don't like it, switch the language setting >>

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
There is a lot more talking in Brawl then in Melee, that's for sure...

Though I don't know if Marth will be getting an English voice actor. Seeing as the Fire Emblem DS game is being made to be released internationally, it might be possible.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
I would not mind if he had an English voice but I would like him to have a Japanese voice more. It just sounds.........cool, and natural.

Sariku

Smash Master
Same here. To me, American dubs sound completely unrealistic and phony. Also, I heard there is no lang. switch option. Could this be true?
There isn't one in the Japanese Version of the game. PAL will most likely have one because some people talk English, Some French, and so on. America MIGHT get one, Japanese and... Spanish?

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick question:

Does anyone know about Marth getting an English voice-over?
No, but this is a VERY good question!

I'm NOT an otaku, but I LOVED Marth's voice in "Melee" (Hikaru Midorikawa, you rock!), and judging from the "Brawl" videos I've seen, he sounds even better than ever! :grin:

I dunno if he'll keep it in other versions of "Brawl" this time around, though. :ohwell:

Maybe, maybe not.

I would love it if he did, though! (*SIGHS*) But, if not, I hope that Nintendo finds the right guy for the job.

I was hoping that his update today would shed some light on this, BTW, but it didn't. :embarrass

Ah, well, all we can do is wait and see. :)

tmbjr

Smash Cadet
Since he's getting an international DS game released, I don't see why not. >_>

I also like to say things just for the sake of annoying anime purists out there. :p

Shaolin-Ninja

Smash Apprentice
An American Marth? Please NO! British or French, however, could work, but I'd rather have the Japanese one.

Or what about a Norwegian or Icelandic one? :p That'd be cool... XD

No, Nintendo should take the easy road - give him a Japanese voice.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I actually liked the way marth sounded in melee, it was something different and made him seem like he really was just after coming from japan.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
Where were you when Starfox 64 came out? o.O

-Katsuta

Smash Cadet
I think everyone needs to acknowledge that while the character design comes from Japan, his character is not infact Japanese, it is infact European.

Him having a japanese voice instead of a translation would actually be INCORRECT to his character. So what it really boils down to choosing Japanese over a translation is not homage to the character, it's personal opinion.

'Nuff said.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I could say the same for games like Dead or Alive or Tekken (?). Non-Japanese people speak Japanese.

but I still prefer Marth having a Japanese voice.

Plus, Marth is pretty broken as he is, so why not make his voice broken. (Japanese and not "European")

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
yes he's THAT bad and it pisses me off because they already had a great one **** YOU 4KIDS I HATE YOU!

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I like original Japanese voice acting. I want a language switch option too, but all signs point to "no". :( I liked the Japanese-version cheers in Melee, too... (And Fox's Japanese voice = :D)

I trust they'll do English voices well, if they do.

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
Everyone, I have important news! I went to Anime News Network this morning and read Spike Spencer's profile. In the non-anime role section, one can clearly read "Marth in Super Smash Bros. Brawl"! See for yourselves!!!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=906
Hmmmm...

I do know he voiced Marth in the English version of the anime (though I've never see it), so I'd guess he'd be the first choice for that character as an English voice.

That said...:
Anime News Network's Encyclopedia Disclaimer[/quote said:
Accuracy of Information

The Anime News Network Encyclopedia is a peer-contributed database relying on a community of contributors and editors to input and validate information. While we do our utmost to keep the Encyclopedia as accurate as possible, due to the very nature of peer-edited databases we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any specific piece of information. When using the Encyclopedia for professional or pedagogic purposes, we strongly recommend verifying the source of the information1. Should you find any errors, please submit an error report, such that we can correct the information and continue to maintain the Encyclopedia's accuracy.

Limited Liability

Having given notice that we do not guarantee the accuracy of the information contained within the Encyclopedia, Anime News Network Inc., its staff and owners, can not be held legally liable for any harm caused by the use, or misuse, of information contained within the Encyclopedia.
...there's a chance this could be bogus because that site sounds like a Wikipedia or Internet Movie Database-kinda dealie. Also, I looked around Spike's site, and though I didn't listen to any of his demos, the only thing Marth-related thing listed there is the "Fire Emblem" anime.

Anyhow, I think it's time for me to post something that I've observed in the "Enemies and Allies" video on the American and Japanese versions of the Dojo last week, but with the following very strong disclaimer:

THIS IS SIMPLY SOMETHING I OBSERVED. DO NOT GET YOUR HOPES UP TOO HIGH OR QUOTE ME ON IT IF I TURN OUT TO BE WRONG.

Okay...

Japanese Version: http://www.smashbros.com/jp/gamemode/modea/modea13.html

American Version: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/modea/modea13.html

When the video loads, move the bar on the timeline to the part where Marth and Meta Knight land after cutting a swath through the Primids that rose up behind them, and listen carefully to the sounds they make in the closeups of them moving their heads to look behind themselves.

Meta Knight's "Ulp!"-like sound is different in the American and Japanese versions of the video, but Marth's little gasp prior to that sounds EXACTLY THE SAME.

TAKE THAT FOR WHAT YOU WILL.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
We've had fake info in actor's profiles before.

And plus, don't assume all American vox suck. There are many very good and devoted vox out there.

Count Alphez

Smash Rookie
i dont mind marth having a japanese voice.

ike had an english voice because of the english voiced fire emblem game. which is understandable

marth hasnt had an american game yet, and i think that the remake of marths fire emblem scheduled for the DS will of course lack the capacity for language.

i hope marth stays japanese, for historical reasons and tradition mostly

Top Bottom