• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Energy drank and smash.

Rollz

Smash Apprentice
I personally am a fan of many energy drinks(Rockstar Xdurance being my fav), and I typically get down when I'm about gaming. Though i must admit it's hard to tell if it is actually giving me a mental edge or quicker response time, I do feel the vitamin B's and caffeine pump through my veins after pounding one down, which does help me get more hype.

Anyone else like to have a certain drink by your side as you smash? Coffee, Tea, Milk?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
the vitamin b doses are absurdly low and theres no way you could feel that unless youre severely malnourished which might actually be the case since you are a flopmerican on a flopmerican diet

Divinokage

Smash Legend
the vitamin b doses are absurdly low and theres no way you could feel that unless youre severely malnourished which might actually be the case since you are a flopmerican on a flopmerican diet
Goddamn, when I went to FC, all around there was almost nothing but junk food. Either I'm crazy or the general food is worsening over there.

As for a drink, I now rarely take energy drinks now but usually I go for some Nestea.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Be careful with those, I started having intestine problems because of energy drinks.. I went to see the doctor today because of that.

Rollz

Smash Apprentice
Could be malnourished on McD's, but thank you for informing me. I know now it must be the caffeine or possibly the aminos, but vitamin b''s make up aminos, so probs just caffeine I guess.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Be careful with those, I started having intestine problems because of energy drinks.. I went to see the doctor today because of that.
I don't think 1 a week is going to cause any issues. I avoid drinking two in the same day, and make sure to drink it with a decent meal (drinking them on empty stomachs is AWFUL).

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I don't think 1 a week is going to cause any issues. I avoid drinking two in the same day, and make sure to drink it with a decent meal (drinking them on empty stomachs is AWFUL).
Just saying, I'm someone who took it pretty much to the extreme just like the dude who did Super Size Me with McDs.. it's not cool. I mean drinking 1 or even 2 a day, for me it tasted awesome so it was addicting. I'm saying this as a reference for you guys because everyone here is a gamer and I don't want anyone else to get hurt because of stupid actions.

Having a habit is generally always a problem with things like that.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Idk, you Canadians are so calm and talk so slowly all the time I think you could use an overdose of caffeine so Americans don't seem like crack heads at tournaments. XD

Massive

Smash Champion
Rockstar XDurance has 300% DRV of B6 per can.

Monster Energy has 300% DRV of B6 and B12 per can.

If you can't feel 300% DRV of B vitamins, you'd be able to see them when your pee turns a fluorescent yellow color.

B vitamins hold the distinction of being very safe for consumption even to very high levels.
B6 has an upper recommended limit of 10mg/day for an average person and has been shown to have no appreciable adverse effects at dosages up to 100mg/day.

B12 has been found to show no toxic affects at even ridiculously high dosages (milligram dosages for what is normally measured in micrograms).

For reference, 5 hour energy contains 40mg (2000% DRV) of B6 and 500mcg (8333% DRV) of B12. I don't recommend drinking any more than 2 of those a day if you want to maintain a functional liver.

N.A.G.A.C.E said:
I always have a 5 hour energy before a tourney, i feel it helps me play better
B vitamins can have a substantial stimulant effect, as they are known to moderate cell energy production, fatty acid synthesis, and DNA synthesis.

Stimulants are usually associated with improved performance in attention-requiring tasks and reaction speed. It probably does help you play a bit better, although how much better than caffeine alone is still questionable.

Lovage

Smash Hero
energy drinks don't do good by me at all

just drink a brew hehe

if we're talking about tournaments drink some ****ING JUICE / WATER

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
They **** me up because I so rarely have caffeine, but make me feel god tier at smash :)) I can even feel it in a normal can of pepsi.

iffy525

Smash Apprentice
Goddamn, when I went to FC, all around there was almost nothing but junk food. Either I'm crazy or the general food is worsening over there.
Yeah, that's just the midwest for you.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
a majority of merka's population (~75%) is dehydrated.
about the same proportion aren't correctly or properly nourished

10/10 you will feel MUCH better after a home cooked meal (hell, a sandwich will do the trick) and a bunch of water rather than a ****ty energy drink. unless food poisoning is a factor. then you're screwed.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I like to prepare for a tournaments the same way I prepare for rowing events or other events like mini-triathalons and things like that.

Get a good nights sleep, eat a good dinner and breakfast, FRUITS and TONS of water. I avoid energy drinks like the plague tbh. I even only drink gatorade if I mix it with water. Too much sugar just leads to crashes and groggy-ness. Coffee if it's getting really late/ feeling slow.

Although I am adicted to Arizona Green Tea. I drink like 2 liters a day, but not on the day of the tourney.

I guess the best way to prepare for anything is to eat healthy so you feel healthy and focused. I'd take a calm, focused feeling over a hyper, jittery feeling any day.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I go to SoCal tournaments for the free NOS.

Bad idea to drink them in tournament, btw. Gives me the jitterz.
Gotta stock up for later.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
Dont drink energy drinks. Don't eat grains.

Meats/fruits/veggies

Paleo all the way

:phone:

Zodiac

Smash Master
It won't improve your performance whatsoever, unless you're dead tired that is. But seriously its just a placebo effect as far as playing better goes, also. Tournaments are horrible place to judge america's eating habit's. Personally I don't touch junk food or energy drinks unless I have no other choice(Which 99% of the time is not the case, its america, we have access to everything) I'll gladly walk an extra ten or fifteen minutes to find a restaurant that won't rot my insides.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'll have a coffee if it's early and I need to wake up. Otherwise, it's only ice water or juice-like drinks. It's also really hard for me to find decent food at tournaments. I play really ****ty if my stomach is full of McDonalds or similar awful fast food, so usually I'll just have 1 meal per day at a tourney (unless there's hotel breakfast, then I'll have two) because of aforementioned difficulty in finding a good meal.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I usually just drink water. Not feeling dehydrated is nice.

Apparently PP drinks Cherry Wine.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Cheerwine is awesome.

But that's not what I mean. Just take a look at half of NC's avatars.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I go to SoCal tournaments for the free NOS.

Bad idea to drink them in tournament, btw. Gives me the jitterz.
Gotta stock up for later.
If you eat a better meal right before drinking, I almost promise you won't get jitters. Just eat lunch with your drink right before the tournament starts, and you should be straight.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Alright, im like an energy drink connoisseur so ill walk u through this

I personally am a fan of many energy drinks(Rockstar Xdurance being my fav), and I typically get down when I'm about gaming. Though i must admit it's hard to tell if it is actually giving me a mental edge or quicker response time, I do feel the vitamin B's and caffeine pump through my veins after pounding one down, which does help me get more hype.

Anyone else like to have a certain drink by your side as you smash? Coffee, Tea, Milk?
It can help for smashfests and stuff but do NOT do it before a tournament

It is the worst feeling ever because it sorta amplifies how nervous you are...

like dealing with tourney nerves is already hard enough but if you have an energy drink in your system it can feel sooo ****ing awful and you can get sooo jittery

any advantage you'd get from the energy will be completely negated imo

just drink water at tournies because it will wake u up (if its super cold, which is the only thing i drink) and actually make u feel like less of a piece of **** while you are dealing with tourney pressure

Just saying, I'm someone who took it pretty much to the extreme just like the dude who did Super Size Me with McDs.. it's not cool. I mean drinking 1 or even 2 a day, for me it tasted awesome so it was addicting. I'm saying this as a reference for you guys because everyone here is a gamer and I don't want anyone else to get hurt because of stupid actions.

Having a habit is generally always a problem with things like that.
Ya this happened to me too, i didnt go to a doctor but i had legit withdrawal symptoms... **** was crazy... i would not recommend it

I always have a 5 hour energy before a tourney, i feel it helps me play better

:phone:
If you are going to do this just take caffeine pills. SERIOUSLY. It will give you more energy, not taste like **** and be 100x cheaper, oh and its probably healthier

If you eat a better meal right before drinking, I almost promise you won't get jitters. Just eat lunch with your drink right before the tournament starts, and you should be straight.
This is like the number one rule of energy drinks...

never have them on an empty stomach, that **** is sooo awful, but if u have it with something filling like a philly cheesesteak, u'll feel on top of the world

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Rockstar XDurance has 300% DRV of B6 per can.

Monster Energy has 300% DRV of B6 and B12 per can.

If you can't feel 300% DRV of B vitamins, you'd be able to see them when your pee turns a fluorescent yellow color.

B vitamins hold the distinction of being very safe for consumption even to very high levels.
B6 has an upper recommended limit of 10mg/day for an average person and has been shown to have no appreciable adverse effects at dosages up to 100mg/day.

B12 has been found to show no toxic affects at even ridiculously high dosages (milligram dosages for what is normally measured in micrograms).

For reference, 5 hour energy contains 40mg (2000% DRV) of B6 and 500mcg (8333% DRV) of B12. I don't recommend drinking any more than 2 of those a day if you want to maintain a functional liver.

B vitamins can have a substantial stimulant effect, as they are known to moderate cell energy production, fatty acid synthesis, and DNA synthesis.

Stimulants are usually associated with improved performance in attention-requiring tasks and reaction speed. It probably does help you play a bit better, although how much better than caffeine alone is still questionable.
the rdi's etc are completely useless and fradulent, theyre way, way, WAY too low and based on dinosaur age old science. they'd be ok if they where 10x the amount for most nutrients except for certain minerals, copper in particular.
and the body cant use the b vitamins unless you have a good balance of the other nutrients, including non-essential ones and nutrients not yet discovered. unless youre on a good diet supplements won't do jack **** as far as therapeutic/energy effects go.
i eat 4500 mgs of niacin a day, thats the kind of doses you have to eat if you want to get an effect beyond just maintaning the minimum amount of what everybody needs. I eat 250 mgs of b6 a day which i consider low, 3000 mgs of vitamin c, 2 50-b complex pills, etc etc. i off course eat zinc aswell due to taking so much b6, and everybody needs to eat zinc supplements anyway since we get way to much copper these days.

b vitamins does not hurt the liver, this is also a myth based on dinosaur age science. the various junk flavorings/colorings in energy drinks however will ****ing **** your liver.
the niacin used in the old study that "proved" that niacin hurts the liver actually contained nicotine.
certain supplements can cause an imbalance of nutrients in the body, but as long as you take the right combination of supplements and eat a good diet you're safe.

10/10 you will feel MUCH better after a home cooked meal (hell, a sandwich will do the trick) and a bunch of water rather than a ****ty energy drink. unless food poisoning is a factor. then you're screwed.
LMFAO is a ****ing SANDWICH considered "good" by flopmerican standards? i hope for the sake of humanity you are trolling. although flopmericans are the ones that will suffer from this, so i actually enjoy it.
flopmericans eat nothing but white bread which is almost as bad as pure sugar, your cheese is colored with toxic chemicals, ham and **** like that is atrociously bad for your health. ham etc is based on atrocious non ecological meat and filled with junk like toxic flavor enhancers and tons of sugar. you wont get ANYWHERE NEAR enough protein and vegs/fruit, and youll get WAY to much short carbohydrates. sandwiches are great if you want to **** up your blood sugar, get malnourished, get uneven energy levels, get obese, diabetes and get sick.
LMFAO SANDWICHES ARE HEALTHY HURR DURR BWAHAHAHA

the withdrawal symptoms of energy drinks mentioned in a few posts above are mainly just low blood sugar which will never get better unless you start eating long carbohydrates. which pretty much isnt sold anywhere in flopmerica lol.

Massive

Smash Champion
the rdi's etc are completely useless and fradulent, theyre way, way, WAY too low and based on dinosaur age old science. they'd be ok if they where 10x the amount for most nutrients except for certain minerals, copper in particular.
and the body cant use the b vitamins unless you have a good balance of the other nutrients, including non-essential ones and nutrients not yet discovered. unless youre on a good diet supplements won't do jack **** as far as therapeutic/energy effects go.
i eat 4500 mgs of niacin a day, thats the kind of doses you have to eat if you want to get an effect beyond just maintaning the minimum amount of what everybody needs. I eat 250 mgs of b6 a day which i consider low, 3000 mgs of vitamin c, 2 50-b complex pills, etc etc. i off course eat zinc aswell due to taking so much b6, and everybody needs to eat zinc supplements anyway since we get way to much copper these days.

b vitamins does not hurt the liver, this is also a myth based on dinosaur age science. the various junk flavorings/colorings in energy drinks however will ****ing **** your liver.
the niacin used in the old study that "proved" that niacin hurts the liver actually contained nicotine.
certain supplements can cause an imbalance of nutrients in the body, but as long as you take the right combination of supplements and eat a good diet you're safe.
You sound like a man with very expensive urine and a gradually developing kidney disorder. How 'bout some links to these "studies"?

LMFAO is a ****ing SANDWICH considered "good" by flopmerican standards? i hope for the sake of humanity you are trolling. although flopmericans are the ones that will suffer from this, so i actually enjoy it.
flopmericans eat nothing but white bread which is almost as bad as pure sugar, your cheese is colored with toxic chemicals, ham and **** like that is atrociously bad for your health. ham etc is based on atrocious non ecological meat and filled with junk like toxic flavor enhancers and tons of sugar. you wont get ANYWHERE NEAR enough protein and vegs/fruit, and youll get WAY to much short carbohydrates. sandwiches are great if you want to **** up your blood sugar, get malnourished, get uneven energy levels, get obese, diabetes and get sick.
LMFAO SANDWICHES ARE HEALTHY HURR DURR BWAHAHAHA
MY CAPS ARE BIGGER THAN YOUR CAPS, MY OPINIONS ARE FACTS NOW TOO RIGHT?
Sandwiches can be quite healthy if prepared properly. Why don't you go back to eating lutefisk in your glacier cave.

Top Bottom