• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemy Of The Federation - Sylux for Smash Ultimate (DLC)

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I guess something like Rundas would fit better for assist trophy now that you mention it; long range ice attacks over the short range of Sylux’s shock coil, which may not be as effective for an AT. Still wouldn’t really expect MP3 content in Smash at this point though (Dark Samus notwithstanding), but would love to be wrong.
Yeah, that's what I was basically thinking, along with Rundas basically being a ice version of Dark Samus' old assist trophies (aka a lot of ice spikes and what not) or something original for an assist trophy.

I mean, we'd get Prime 3 content either way, seeming as that ship from the end of MP3 was technically Sylux's according to the director of the Prime series/the guy who is in charge of the Prime games now. Though if the Delano 7 were to appear somewhere in Smash Ultimate, I'd prefer its Prime Hunters look than its Prime 3 look.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
That or Rundas... seen him getting some increasing support as well, so Sylux does have some competition I guess, Lightning vs Ice.

As I think I stated here though, I can see Sylux being one of the first three DLC characters if Ultimate gets any, the others being Rex with Pyra/Mythra and either someone from ARMS or Fawful or King Boo (due to those Mario characters getting their games remade). Nonetheless, Sylux's best chance is DLC for a playable appearance, I wouldn't know how I'd feel if he became an assist trophy, mostly since I think Rundas could fit that bill very well seeming as with some changes he could act like Dark Samus' assist trophy.
I'm hoping Nintendo goes big on Prime 4 next E3 and releases it either in November, maybe alongside a smaller Mario game to really let it shine, or really anytime before E3 2020. It may seem like a ways off, but I think they'll have a lot to do after missing a whole console generation of innovation (although, I still consider the Prime games to be timeless their isnt many games quite like them as opposed to the 2d games). Anyways I think we'll have to wait a little longer for Sylux then lets say Rex, Springman, or Edelgard.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
I guess something like Rundas would fit better for assist trophy now that you mention it; long range ice attacks over the short range of Sylux’s shock coil, which may not be as effective for an AT. Still wouldn’t really expect MP3 content in Smash at this point though (Dark Samus notwithstanding), but would love to be wrong.
I don't love Rundas as much as other fans, but I still think he's really cool. They could make use of the freezing mechanic that is already in Smash and it'd be great if he could fly around on his ice beam to get around.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Sylux is imo the most definite next fighter from the Metroid series. That is practically set. HOWEVER, we already got Ridley AND Dark Samus to double the representation in Smash, so... Chances are grim, but he would be a super unique fighter, and I believe would fit fairly well into Smash, so I support

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Sylux and Weavil do have the most going for them, and both have my support for certain. Both of them hate the federation, and both of them have some sort of personal grudge against Samus. While I personally like Weavil more, the mystery around Sylux and their rise to fame easily make them the next choice when Prime 4 rears its head proper and rises to prominence (though I have a feeling that Weavil will appear as well in a lesser capacity).

...I remember joking with someone, when the Other:M trailer came out, that Anthony Higgs was actually Sylux. Who else could break into a top-secret Federation Facily and steal a Samus-inspired suit of experimental power armor? But now that I think on it more it makes sense...How does Sylux keep getting into these places with no one spotting him? How does he know that the Federation Force retrieved metroid samples?

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Metroid just got two new playable characters with Ridley and Dark Samus, but with Metroid Prime 4 on the horizon the series is finally coming back to life, so I think the new editions are deserving. Sylux would be the icing on the cake, but if he ends up being the main antagonist of MP4 then I would love to see him as DLC. I don't think he hstands a chance at the base roster, but either way count me in on supporting him!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So Sylux is no where to be seen in the direct or the website.

With prime 4 most likely getting a gameplay or story trailer soon, I think our buddy Sylux is a VERY high contender for one of those DLC slots like we all predicted.

Let's hope this mysterious bounty hunter reveals his presence in the coming days of DLC!

Room100

Smash Apprentice
So Sylux is no where to be seen in the direct or the website.

With prime 4 most likely getting a gameplay or story trailer soon, I think our buddy Sylux is a VERY high contender for one of those DLC slots like we all predicted.

Let's hope this mysterious bounty hunter reveals his presence in the coming days of DLC!
I scrolled through everything so much trying to make sure there wasn't a deconfirmation, but yeah nothing to be found. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Sylux and the other Hunters as Spirits but I don't think that being a Spirit necessarily deconfirms anything (there's a good number of Spirits that are/have very close ties to playable characters). Here's hoping Sylux is one of the later DLC!

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Sylux not being an Assist Trophy as far as we can tell is definitely a good thing for Sylux' chances as DLC.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Plenty reason to look forward to the future now, as has been said already. No appearances in roles that would outright deconfirm Sylux, and DLC going through 2020. Can’t prove anything, but wouldn’t be surprised if early access to Prime 4 material was a consideration in any discussions the team had (since Sakurai tends to be privy to that kind of info pretty frequently, as was evident yesterday with stuff like the Labo costume).

Prime 4 getting a full reveal soon would only sweeten things. Let’s hope.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I will admit, seeing all the alternate colors/skins Ridley’s been getting, a couple Meta Ridley ones included, makes me warm up more to Sylux alternate colors if he’s in, even if said colors mostly just represent the other hunters but still, it’d be quite a selection.

Not sure how to feel about the likelihood of any remaining hopefuls of mine being on the first fighter pass or if there’ll be a season 2 of DLC but eh, we’ll see what happens I guess.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sylux is very likely for DLC. He could be added to promote Prime 4, and they have a history of adding characters as DLC for promotional purposes (Corrin).

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So, of course we'll be getting Sylux if he's DLC, but what stage would he come with? Would he bring music from Hunters, Feeeration Force, and potentially Prime 4 with him perhaps?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see this thread is waking up and keeping the faith!

-------------------

When it comes to Sylux as a DLC Package, s/he has to at least come with a modern version of their Battle Theme From Hunters. There's a few ideas for a stage, between one based on Prime 4, Hunters, or even one from Prime: 3 to tie-in with the trilogy...I dunno about you guys, but the idea of stepping into Phazon Pools to boost your damage (while also taking damage over time) is pretty groovy.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So, of course we'll be getting Sylux if he's DLC, but what stage would he come with? Would he bring music from Hunters, Feeeration Force, and potentially Prime 4 with him perhaps?
I believe that he will come with either a Prime 4 stage or a Prime Hunters stage. The former is more likely.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'm thinking maybe a stage from Prime 4, since I really can't see any of the Prime hunters stages working out as a Smash Bros. Stage.

Though of course we will be getting a modernized remix of Sylux's theme as someone said earlier in the thread, though I do believe the music will be a mix of Hunters and Prime 4, that is if they're willing to spoil parts (a location and music) of Prime 4 if he's released before Prime 4 does and he has content from that game.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think anymore Prime Trilogy based stages is still a pipe dream, cool as any Phazon environmental hazards/buffs would be. Far as MPH goes, Vesper Defense Outpost remains one of the most iconic locations to Sylux since it's where you first encountered him in the campaign, but a Prime 4 stage would be the most likely in the event of him being DLC, yeah.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I think anymore Prime Trilogy based stages is still a pipe dream, cool as any Phazon environmental hazards/buffs would be. Far as MPH goes, Vesper Defense Outpost remains one of the most iconic locations to Sylux since it's where you first encountered him in the campaign, but a Prime 4 stage would be the most likely in the event of him being DLC, yeah.
Right, Vesper Defense Outpost could work, for the reasons you said as well.

The thing is, and this is a personal problem of mine, I have trouble visualizing the maps from Prime Hunters as stages, going beyond if it'd be a traveling stage, how would that work or if it isn't a traveling stage what section of that map would be used for a Smash stage, what part of the map is the best for a stage in smash. Again as I said this is a me problem, and it could very well be the same case for anything from Prime 4 for me as well, I just think if Sylux's getting in it's probably gonna be announced next to some Prime 4 announcements and what not and to further promote prime 4 they'd put some music and a area from it as well.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282

With the confirmation that Nintendo selected the DLC candidates, I feel like Sylux's chances has just shot up. I am certain that Nintendo wants Metroid Prime 4 to be successful, so Sylux would almost definitely be on the selection list as a promotional character. Even then though, it doesn't necessarily mean that Sakurai decided to pick him as one of the DLC characters.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282

With the confirmation that Nintendo selected the DLC candidates, I feel like Sylux's chances has just shot up. I am certain that Nintendo wants Metroid Prime 4 to be successful, so Sylux would almost definitely be on the selection list as a promotional character. Even then though, it doesn't necessarily mean that Sakurai decided to pick him as one of the DLC characters.
Basically stole my post as I wrote it.

I definitely believe Sylux was on the consideration list; considering the time frame they've given for DLC development and release (now-Feb 2020), they are bound to have material from forthcoming games in there, and its not unreasonable to believe that Prime 4 could have an early 2020 release (given how hush they've been about it), which DLC could logically coincide with (Corrin, for instance, released for Smash 4 roughly ten(?) days before FE Fates came to NA in the same month of February 2016). Doesn't necessarily guarantee Sylux's inclusion, but I think there's a solid chance nonetheless.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Basically stole my post as I wrote it.

I definitely believe Sylux was on the consideration list; considering the time frame they've given for DLC development and release (now-Feb 2020), they are bound to have material from forthcoming games in there, and its not unreasonable to believe that Prime 4 could have an early 2020 release (given how hush they've been about it), which DLC could logically coincide with (Corrin, for instance, released for Smash 4 roughly ten(?) days before FE Fates came to NA in the same month of February 2016). Doesn't necessarily guarantee Sylux's inclusion, but I think there's a solid chance nonetheless.
I'm hoping Sakurai picked him as one of the characters, and if not but he was on the consideration list I somewhat fear it was because Sakurai couldn't think of any of him besides Samus but with lightning.

Anyways I suppose the hype train and time will tell us all, for as when they reveal who is in the pack, I'm guessing The Game Awards.

Though I will say: I do not expect any gameplay, just portraits of the characters, their names, and what series they're from and at a later date we'll get gameplay of them, a glimpse at their stages, and have their music bless our ears.

Last edited by a moderator:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
People are sleeping on his chance. He has a prime spot for timing and promotional material to go with his DLC.

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
prime spot
Ha! Good one. Let's just hope Prime 4 isn't canibalized by any of the other big Nintendo games coming next. The prime trilogy has been of the uptmost quality this game deserves to get some proper marketing.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Ha! Good one. Let's just hope Prime 4 isn't canibalized by any of the other big Nintendo games coming next. The prime trilogy has been of the uptmost quality this game deserves to get some proper marketing.
Personally with the way how they're hyping it up and what not I do believe Nintendo is expecting Prime 4 to be their big and when I say big I mean /main/ event of the year like BOTW and Odyssey were for 2017, so whichever year Prime 4 releases I believe it won't have any big Nintendo games to fight against for the spotlight, it'll have a good amount of time solely focused on it with smaller projects surrounding it, though it may be a BOTW and Odyssey situation where one game gets a majority of the year while the other gets about a month and a good chunk of the next year due to Gen 8 of Pokémon being rumored to release in the same year as Prime 4 due to both being announced in similar stages of development (though to be fair XBC2 was a unexpected success and took some amount of Odyssey's audience with it, there may be a similar situation as if we presume both are to release next year, Luigi's Mansion 3 is bound to steal some players from one of the titles).

Nonetheless I do hope Prime 4 gets some good marketing, as that does help Metroid games more than it does Mario or Pokémon due to people buying those due to the name of the series alone. Then due to ten years absence from Metroid we got a new generation of gamers that only know these games through Samus, Ridley, and D. Samus' appearances in smash bros. so getting some good marketing out and to reintroduce and introduce people to the Metroid universe is a must for this title.

The only outside competition Prime 4 will most likely have is Halo Infinite if it isn't marketed correctly and is seen as similar to the Halo Series.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If Metroid Prime 4 ends up being the big main event game showcased at next year's E3, there's a chance that it could be followed up by a Sylux reveal trailer for Smash.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
If Metroid Prime 4 ends up being the big main event game showcased at next year's E3, there's a chance that it could be followed up by a Sylux reveal trailer for Smash.
That or seeming as they announced they'll reveal all the DLC characters before the fighter pass can be bought on its own, during whatever Prime 4 thing we may get at the game awards, though in a Gameinformer Magazine Reggie said we're getting a teaser trailer early 2019 or the game won't be in Q1 and it's on track and what not. Though I've seen desprencies between news sites that covered this article so I can't tell if the teaser trailer part is true or not, I think we all expect Prime 4 though to come out late 2019 or mid-2020 though.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
https://mashable.com/article/reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-future/

Reggie: "Internally, we have expectations about when [Metroid Prime 4] is going to be released. We haven't announced it, but yeah, the game is well in development."

Interesting. Something supposedly well into* development should be showing up soon, right? Rumors seem to be rampant about Prime 4 showing up next December at The Game Awards as well (though I don’t put much stock into that kind of rumor). Best case scenario would be Prime 4 having a late 2019 release and Sylux coinciding with that as a later addition to the Fighter Pack.

*generally understood as an idiom for ‘far along’

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Reggie: "Internally, we have expectations about when [Metroid Prime 4] is going to be released. We haven't announced it, but yeah, the game is well in development."

Interesting. Something supposedly well into* development should be showing up soon, right? Rumors seem to be rampant about Prime 4 showing up next December at The Game Awards as well (though I don’t put much stock into that kind of rumor). Best case scenario would be Prime 4 having a late 2019 release and Sylux coinciding with that as a later addition to the Fighter Pack.

In any case, they're being less vague about it now, and that's good. While some would scoff at the idea of Sylux pulling a :ultroy:/:ultcorrin: even despite a prior appearance, I can see it happen, especially since Hitagi hurriedly backed out from their Katalina claim.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
In any case, they're being less vague about it now, and that's good. While some would scoff at the idea of Sylux pulling a :ultroy:/:ultcorrin: even despite a prior appearance, I can see it happen, especially since Hitagi hurriedly backed out from their Katalina claim.
I think Sylux would probably attract less of a backlash, largely because Sylux is more than ten years old (Hunters was released in 2006) and was even playable back then (albeit only in the Multiplayer mode). Plus, nobody is feeling that Metroid is overrepresented in Smash Bros.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Sylux would probably attract less of a backlash, largely because Sylux is more than ten years old (Hunters was released in 2006) and was even playable back then (albeit only in the Multiplayer mode). Plus, nobody is feeling that Metroid is overrepresented in Smash Bros.
It helps that 1) the series has almost nothing but villains to pool from and 2) there aren't too many noteworthy characters. Being a series with an emphasis on isolation in hostile territory has its perks.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I sadly actually got into an argument in a YouTube comment section saying they think one more character would be over representing Metroid. Thankfully it was just one person and I pulled the "Well... Metroid is one of the big series that's been in Smash since 64 but has only ever had Samus as a playable character for over half of the franchise..." and "Even if that doesn't affect your opinion on the case, would you want an eighth fire emblem rep that uses a sword in comparison to someone who could have a completely original moveset for a series who only has four characters and be their fifth fighter, half (three if you count D. Samus) of which is just the main protagonist split into two originally because of the 3DS' limitations."

That and I mean... unlike certain fandoms I think us Metroid fans would be completely satisfied if Sylux got in as the cherry on top and we can consider the series' representation on the roster compelete. As we got the main protagonist and antagonist, the representation of the original Prime trilogy, and with Sylux we'd get representation for the new story new and era of Metroid titles that are to come, along with him being representation for the "side-character" archetype he filled before they decided they want to expand upon his story, similar to how Daisy and Rosalina fill that for the Mario series.

As I think I said but wasn't sure since so many news sites I checked weren't very consistent with one another, apparently GameInformer did an interview with Reggie and it's supposedly getting a teaser trailer in early 2019 or something. Again I'm not confident on that and I don't know which issue of GameInformer it was so I can't check my own copies unless I want to spend a good couple hours scouring for it.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Depending on his role in MP4, I can definitely see them adding him to promote the game. I'd say he's definitely next in line for Metroid reps.
Loved Metroid Prime Hunters so I'd love to see him added.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I think it's almost guaranteed that Sylux was on that selection list that Nintendo gave Sakurai. The only roadblock left here is if Sakurai would choose Sylux as one of the five DLC fighters. I think the important question here is: Would Sakurai see greater value in Sylux as a fighter over the other potential DLC candidates from Nintendo's selection?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it's almost guaranteed that Sylux was on that selection list that Nintendo gave Sakurai. The only roadblock left here is if Sakurai chose Sylux as one of the five DLC fighters. I think the important question here is: Would Sakurai see greater value in Sylux as a fighter over the other potential DLC candidates from Nintendo's selection?
That depends. Sakurai has come a long way in terms of designing movesets since the 64/Melee days, so I think he'd be comfortable with giving him a more shooter-type moveset compared to Samus' largely unchanged toolset.

Also, he'd probably go "well, at least it's not another FE character, that could have been messy Embarrass".

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
You guy's are pretty lucky; basically having all other competition for Metroid rep's obliterated lmao.
I mean... while they're very huge there's still support for Rundas, but I feel like his fans would be happy if he ever became an AT.

That and since Ridley got announced... Kraid had growing support but I think it died a whole lot after Dark Samus. Personally I'd state being a background element wouldn't eliminate you from the realm of possibilities due to Toon Link and the Spirit Track stage but that's because he has a suitable replacement (which the same could be said for Captain Toad but I don't think we're gonna get any new Mario reps after Piranha Plant unless it's Geno or King Boo, one for popularity the other for promotion of LM3)

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If Kraid ever joins Smash as a fighter, nobody is ever allowed to call any character "too big" for Smash anymore.

Top Bottom