• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I have a huge feeling Joker (Or any Persona rep at the time) was considered extremely early; as soon as Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem even had its conceptualization.
Joker caught people by surprise because everyone else was so focused on their own picks, and Persona as a series itself has not really touched the Nintendo family of consoles much (nor was it a series that was recognized as such.) But SEGA owns Atlus, and SEGA has amazing relations with Nintendo itself. I think Joker was actually a really logical pick.

I personally feel like Elma still has a chance even if she has a Spirit in the game. There's more going for her than against so far. But I'd only be echoing what many people have said regarding their positive opinions of her inclusion, lol.

D

Deleted member

I have a huge feeling Joker (Or any Persona rep at the time) was considered extremely early; as soon as Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem even had its conceptualization.
Joker caught people by surprise because everyone else was so focused on their own picks, and Persona as a series itself has not really touched the Nintendo family of consoles much (nor was it a series that was recognized as such.) But SEGA owns Atlus, and SEGA has amazing relations with Nintendo itself. I think Joker was actually a really logical pick.

I personally feel like Elma still has a chance even if she has a Spirit in the game. There's more going for her than against so far. But I'd only be echoing what many people have said regarding their positive opinions of her inclusion, lol.
no but listen, joker was unexpected for me and me specifically, which means my obscure third party that is much smaller then persona is basically a lock

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

I think the big reason he caught everyone off guard is everyone (myself included) assumed that Nintendo would view the SMT and Persona series as "separate" and if Atlus got a rep it would be from SMT. That said SMT is kinda niche so it wasn't really strongly considered either.

I was very shocked to say the least.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly? Yeah. The X content that actually is in Ultimate still feels like a very last-minute addition, there's not a single music track, and of course X is not even in that internal game listing. And that is on top of all the points in Elma's favour that we've had pre-release, such as that (relatively) big marketing push she got for her appearance in 2.

And unrelated, but this thread just passed its 5000th post!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Let’s not forget the voice acting role Caitlin Glass got that apparently absolutely requires an NDA...

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
I just thought, what if they changed Elma's spirit fight from bayonetta to Elma if she comes out? The fight would be based off of her fight in XC2 which technically makes her an XC2 spirit since she uses 90% melee and her gun arts are saved for her specials.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let’s not forget the voice acting role Caitlin Glass got that apparently absolutely requires an NDA...
I pray, but isn't Caitlin pretty damn profilic? She could've been recruited for a new unrevealed secret project couldn't she?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I pray, but isn't Caitlin pretty damn profilic? She could've been recruited for a new unrevealed secret project couldn't she?
Yeah, and cosidering that they just started working on the DLC now I don't think they are already recording lines for them...

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Yeah, and cosidering that they just started working on the DLC now I don't think they are already recording lines for them...
You think? I would guess line recording would happen fairly early as you would want to make sure you model the mouth right to what they say. If PP was almost done with design then I would guess the design team could be working on the next one while the balance team works. In theory the third DLC character could be in the early stages of development by now.

Or in this case since they aren't auditioning new people just getting the people who already did the voice in the past it may be a scheduling thing where they just grab them when its most convenient for them.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
So I decided to look up some misc info on different franchises and their inclusion in smash bros. There 3 games that dont have music in smash bros that came out between 2015 to 2018 excluding XCX, I'm probably missing a few. They are tokyo mirage session, codename S.T.E.A.M., and ARMS. The first 2 are smaller and didn't obtain that much hype. ARMS on the other hand does have costumes and assist trophies. It's interesting to see ARMS get no music. However, its representation in Smash is bigger than XCX.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
So I decided to look up some misc info on different franchises and their inclusion in smash bros. There 3 games that dont have music in smash bros that came out between 2015 to 2018 excluding XCX, I'm probably missing a few. They are tokyo mirage session, codename S.T.E.A.M., and ARMS. The first 2 are smaller and didn't obtain that much hype. ARMS on the other hand does have costumes and assist trophies. It's interesting to see ARMS get no music. However, its representation in Smash is bigger than XCX.
Codename steam does have music in the game such as the fire emblem remixes and I believe there is a regular track called trouble brewing 2

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

how in the **** does codename steam have a remix and they couldn't even add a regular XCX song not even remixed this is bull****

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
how in the **** does codename steam have a remix and they couldn't even add a regular XCX song not even remixed this is bull****
My jaw hit the floor when I heard that. ARMS I would accept, but no XCX music vs a remix from a game like Codename STEAM is kind of hurtful. Hopefully something gets thrown our way. My heart cant take much more.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
There's no point getting mad at remixes when it's the composers who decide what they want to remix. Someone wanted to do a Codename Steam track so they did; someone wanted to do 5 or 6 Fire Emblem songs so they did. No-one on the music team had any interest in covering a Sawano track or any other Xenoblade music, that's all there is to it.

The lack of unremixed music is different and could be a result of any number of things but I agree it's upsetting not even getting the three battle tracks treatment XB2 got.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Elma.png

Whoo! The new Super Smash Bros game is a blast to play, and World of Light and the spirit content is also pretty fun, even more than I would have enitially thought. We know that with Joker from Persona 5 and Piranha Plant coming to Smash as DLC characters that there are currently 4 characters left still in developement and suspense.

Elma is one of those characters that I believe inn. Sakurai has already said that Rex was too late to include, but does that mean there will be no chance for any other Xenoblade character? Not really. It's all up to Nintendo at this point, and Elma has been in two different Xenoblade games, and remains quite popular.

While I've never played Xenoblade, or have any personal attatchment to Elma or the series (obviously), I still think that Elma as a concept design, and possibility of Smash is quite good, and makes me in favor of wanting this character. Therefore, I would like to keep on supporting the character during the speculation period.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 183618

Whoo! The new Super Smash Bros game is a blast to play, and World of Light and the spirit content is also pretty fun, even more than I would have enitially thought. We know that with Joker from Persona 5 and Piranha Plant coming to Smash as DLC characters that there are currently 4 characters left still in developement and suspense.

Elma is one of those characters that I believe inn. Sakurai has already said that Rex was too late to include, but does that mean there will be no chance for any other Xenoblade character? Not really. It's all up to Nintendo at this point, and Elma has been in two different Xenoblade games, and remains quite popular.

While I've never played Xenoblade, or have any personal attatchment to Elma or the series (obviously), I still think that Elma as a concept design, and possibility of Smash is quite good, and makes me in favor of wanting this character. Therefore, I would like to keep on supporting the character during the speculation period.
welcome to ELMA GANG

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
Just adding my immense support for the queen...Elma is getting in!! I know she is!!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Just adding my immense support for the queen...Elma is getting in!! I know she is!!
View attachment 183618

It's great to see that Elma's supporters keep growing in size.
And TBH I too feel Elma is in. My current prediction for the remaining 4 characters are Elma, a new Kirby character (either Bandana Dee or Magolor), Erdrik/ a Dragon Quest character and Professor Layton.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I can't expect Elma because it's unfair to Sakurai if she isn't DLC and I get upset...
But I will say this. A few months ago, I asked a Kirby 8 Ball (toy that answers questions) if Elma would be in Smash and it answered "Yes". I immediately felt the need to test it so I also asked if Goku would be in Smash, and it said "No". One of my friends asked it 3 or 4 times in a row if Waluigi would be in Smash and it kept saying "Ask again later". And since Kirby is the savior of the universe....I sort of trust it.

I think that the possibility of spirits deconfirming characters is still there, though. I'm going to try to remain cautiously optimistic...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hmm, things are going kinda slowly here recently. . . so, how about I try to liven things up a little with a new topic of discussion?
If weapon switching ends up being a part of Elma's moveset, how would you like it being implemented? Should it be a special move all of its own, should it be a special command like Inkling's ink recovery, automatic, or are there any other ideas you have? Personally, I'm leaning towards a special command in addition to certain special moves automatically switching.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I feel like I can't expect Elma because it's unfair to Sakurai if she isn't DLC and I get upset...
But I will say this. A few months ago, I asked a Kirby 8 Ball (toy that answers questions) if Elma would be in Smash and it answered "Yes". I immediately felt the need to test it so I also asked if Goku would be in Smash, and it said "No". One of my friends asked it 3 or 4 times in a row if Waluigi would be in Smash and it kept saying "Ask again later". And since Kirby is the savior of the universe....I sort of trust it.

I think that the possibility of spirits deconfirming characters is still there, though. I'm going to try to remain cautiously optimistic...
This post is adorable so I trust it and I trust Kirby.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I' ve been away for far too long from this thread (and Smashboards in general since a few things happenend after the November-direct...). Good to see the Support for Elma still going strong. I just unlocked her Spirit yesterday. (as well as Pyra, Mythra and Mecha-Fiora)

Joker in Smash surprises me and even though i never played a Persona Game i still think its pretty cool and i cant stop listening to the Last Surprise-Song. It's just sooo good. (I just wish that a part of the Smash-Fanbase would get rid of the "Joker is in so anyone can get in"-Mindset...).

All hail Kirby. He would have aimed for the head

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I just wish that a part of the Smash-Fanbase would get rid of the "Joker is in so anyone can get in"-Mindset...
Yeah, same here. Not gonna lie, if I have to hear people rattle off every noteworthy third-party character that comes to mind in their DLC predictions one more time I'm gonna lose it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, same here. Not gonna lie, if I have to hear people rattle off every noteworthy third-party character that comes to mind in their DLC predictions one more time I'm gonna lose it.
Tell me about it. My pipe dream character is Monokuma from Danganronpa, and while I do think he has more of a chance now than he did pre-Joker, I'm not going to put all my eggs into one basket just yet... although you won't hear me complaining if he does get in.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Even if Elma doesn't get in as DLC, it's good to see there's a sizable amount of support for her. I feel like that support makes a Xenoblade X port (or sequel) a safer proposition.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I watched a video yesterday where someone suggested Kratos from God of War and Mickey Mouse...seriously some people need a reality check and need to realize how difficult licencing is. It's not like Sakurai or someone from Nintendo walks to a third party company and says "Lets add X to Smash" and the company is like "Yeah go for it. Here, take Y as a bonus and go nuts".

Not to mention that Sega owns Persona-Developer Atlus which probably made licencing/ communication a bit easier since Sega is already on board with Smash.

And no the argument "It's Smash. Everyone wants their character in Smash" is not a good argument for someones inclusion...

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh, on the occasion of there being at least a bit of activity in this thread: I just came up with the perfect palette swap for Elma.

ElmaPaletteSanta.png

Merry Christmas!
And there actually IS a bit of a palette change going on here, I gave her a different and more saturated shade of red to be precise

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Oh, on the occasion of there being at least a bit of activity in this thread: I just came up with the perfect palette swap for Elma.

View attachment 184369
Merry Christmas!
And there actually IS a bit of a palette change going on here, I gave her a different and more saturated shade of red to be precise
Needs more green.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still think it's funny how Elma and Rex went from a decently likely base game candidate and a shoo-in for DLC respectively to a likely DLC candidate and dead respectively in the span of one direct

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I still think it's funny how Elma and Rex went from a decently likely base game candidate and a shoo-in for DLC respectively to a likely DLC candidate and dead respectively in the span of one direct
Really feel like you should clarify which one's which, considering how I've seen people act.

D

Deleted member

Really feel like you should clarify which one's which, considering how I've seen people act.
I said respectively after each one so hopefully people don't get confused.

But yeah, I really wanted Rex but he's dead in the water right now and anyone who doesn't think so aren't thibking rationally. He's dead, let him rest peacefully.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

To be fair, it didn't say when Elma would be in Smash. :p

I feel sorry for Waluigi fans tho, even an 8-ball is against them.

I watched a video yesterday where someone suggested Kratos from God of War and Mickey Mouse...seriously some people need a reality check and need to realize how difficult licencing is. It's not like Sakurai or someone from Nintendo walks to a third party company and says "Lets add X to Smash" and the company is like "Yeah go for it. Here, take Y as a bonus and go nuts".

Not to mention that Sega owns Persona-Developer Atlus which probably made licencing/ communication a bit easier since Sega is already on board with Smash.

And no the argument "It's Smash. Everyone wants their character in Smash" is not a good argument for someones inclusion...
Meanwhile, they also forget that one noteworthy Nintendo appearance is necessary. Even something as minor as Teatherhythm or FF Explorers. :ultcloud:

I said respectively after each one so hopefully people don't get confused.

But yeah, I really wanted Rex but he's dead in the water right now and anyone who doesn't think so aren't thibking rationally. He's dead, let him rest peacefully.
Yeah, even I'm not delusional enough to think he'll be considered for the fighter pass or any further Ultimate DLC, other older characters need a chance anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom