• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
There is one thing that worries me though and that is that they datamined all spirits and Pirahna plant is not even one...

So I feel this could really mean spirits do deconfirm characters, because how isn't something as random as a Pirahna plant not among 1000+ spirits
We will have to wait and see. Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies back in Smash For even tho they were planned for DLC, so the same might happen again were some DLC fighters have also a normal base game Spirit.

BTW, were I can find a list with all the Spirits?

Last edited:

Icana

Smash Apprentice
If Sawano is expensive or difficult to license I do wonder if that means they might make a XCX character as DLC not because the character couldn't be included in base game, but because the DLC means they can pay Sawano a share of each sale. I can't see that being the case when he was fine with his stuff being reused in XB2 but who knows.

Of course if you believe the "Spirits can't be fighters" theory that means we'd end up with Cross, which would probably be the most baffling thing since Pirahna Plant. Sawano music and the avatar from the least popular Xenoblade game would certainly be a divisive DLC pack.
Pssh, divisive. Let them babies cry. The rest of us will uncontrollably relish in their tears as Theme X and Codenamez Smashes all their stocks into the pits of Oblivia!

A note about the XB2 thing though, it comes with paid DLC as well, but yeah, I can't see licensing fees being a deal breaker there. I think X content could be upcoming DLC for Smash, or Sakurai legit doesn't feel Sawano's songs would fit with the game.... which would be shocking to say the least since I think Sawano's energized X music would've been most suitable for an action game and would fit Smash even better than X and make each battle super HYPE!

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Thank you.

Also one thing that I want to say but it is a MASSIVE spoiler and potential leak, so view at your own risk:
So in that list Impa is a Spirit too, but apparently people have datamined the website and discovered that she is going to be one of the DLC fighters, so I suppose that Spirits do NOT deconfirm characters

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Thanks you.

Also one thing that I want to say but it is a MASSIVE spoiler and potential leak, so view at your own risk:
So in that list Impa is a Spirit too, but apparently people have datamined the website and discovered that she is going to be one of the DLC fighters, so I suppose that Spirits do NOT deconfirm characters
Do keep in mind...

Website leaks are super easy to fake. They were all the rage just a few months ago. I highly doubt this has credence unless there's something in the files of the game itself.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
We will have to wait and see. Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies back in Smash For even tho they were planned for DLC, so the same might happen again were some DLC fighters have also a normal base game Spirit.

I'm aware of Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash 4, but this feels very off

List of all spirits btw
https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Where did you get that information from?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Do keep in mind...

Website leaks are super easy to fake. They were all the rage just a few months ago. I highly doubt this has credence unless there's something in the files of the game itself.
While that is true apparently a Smashboards moderator is involved in it. Here is a video about the matter:
And the link to the tread: https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...ource-code-reveals-two-new-characters.464005/

I'm not sure about it either but at the moment we don't have anything else to base ourselfs about Spirits.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Icana

Smash Apprentice
That character artwork from that video looks exactly like this:
hyrule-warriors-famitsu-impa.jpg

That website leak is fake. I spoiler tagged it anyway, just in case.

Last edited:

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
I would be fine if Cross was added. Yes, I prefer Elma, but at least, the most important thing, the message that X deserves this level of acknowledge, would be given.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I would be fine if Cross was added. Yes, I prefer Elma, but at least, the most important thing, the message that X deserves this level of acknowledge, would be given.
The one thing that would make or break Cross for me would be multiple appearances with heavy variety. Inkling works for me for that reason, though they also have common designs for Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl which as far as I'm aware is something Cross lacks.

Like, I don't have a picture but my Cross was a short girl with dark skin and short pink hair. My friend's Cross was tall with two-toned hair and wore a bunny outfit half the game. I see male Crosses whenever I look up cutscenes all the time. Would they really want to go to the effort of making all those different Crosses? I'm not sure. I can hope so, but I'm not sure.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
I just want Sawano. I'd pay extra just for X's music. lol

But yeah, any character between Cross, Elma, and Lin is good with me, or even alternate Elma who'd likely be the new default for potential future games. Who knows, maybe they could do future promotion for X-2 and include a new character from that game, if it's coming. Plus one new remix track from Sawano himself!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
That character artwork from that video looks exactly like this:
That website leak is fake. I spoiler tagged it anyway, just in case.
Thank you for showing that.

Well, we are back on square one then. Still I do belive that Spirits do not mean anything for the actual DLC fighters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If Cross got in instead of Elma, that would be disappointing. But if this means we get Xenoblade X music, I'll be happy. I would hate to see X content get ****ed at this point.
Does Cross even have a default design like Robin and Corrin had?

Also, I am definitely leaning towards spirits being deconfirmations with Piranha Plant not having any spirits out of the 1,300 in the game. I am thinking that DLC is probably going to be third-party characters and Nintendo advertisements (think Corrin).

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Closest thing would be these two:

My only hope would be that they use some drastically different builds and outfits for other designs, because at least the female one is just. . . boring.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Also, I am definitely leaning towards spirits being deconfirmations with Piranha Plant not having any spirits out of the 1,300 in the game. I am thinking that DLC is probably going to be third-party characters and Nintendo advertisements (think Corrin).
I don't think we should really give that much credit to the absence of Piranha Plant. Unlike the other DLC, Piranha Plant was developed alongside the main game, to the point that not only they could already show full gameplay of it, but also release it just 2 months after release, while Mewtwo, a veteran, took nearly 6 months to be developed after Smash For's release.
Also Piranha Plant was planned to be revealed before release, so people wouldn't have been suspicious about its absence (while if a big name like Elma was missing from the Spirits catalogue then people would have suspected she was planned as DLC, and Nintendo wants to keep the surprise factor).

I would say that the absence of the Piranha Plant spirit is as much relevant as any other base roster character, so it really isn't identicative for DLC fighters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Again, the fact that PP isn't a Spirit changes nothing.

With PP being free AND ready in literally two months after Ultimate releases (they even already have gameplay!), and being a character number that would round out the roster to a nice clean 70, there's a pretty massive chance that he was meant to be in base as the wtf character but simply took a bit too much time so they had to push him back a couple of months. Why would they make a Spirit of something they thought was going to be in the base game?

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Again, the fact that PP isn't a Spirit changes nothing.

With PP being free AND ready in literally two months after Ultimate releases (they even already have gameplay!), and being a character number that would round out the roster to a nice clean 70, there's a pretty massive chance that she was meant to be in base as the wtf character but simply took a bit too much time so they had to push him back a couple of months. Why would they make a Spirit of something they thought was going to be in the base game?
There is that cut victory theme,but I'm focusing more on how there are still a lot of other missing spirits that should be in like Porky or Sylux, or in Xeno X's case, Cross and True Form Elma.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Apparently the "KOS-MOS's mother" form of Elma isn't in as a"Powered-up" form when you have others such as:
Fiora
Mecha-Fiora
Kyogre
Primal Kyogre
Groudon
Primal Groudon
Tsubasa Oribe
Tsubasa Oribe (Carnage Form)
Bluebird Elma confirmed for DLC? :surprised:
Yo legit if Elma gets in using her true form I'd be hype as all hell.

aarchak

Smash Ace
They did it before with Fiora in Project X Zone
They did it even before THAT with the Mecha-Fiora trophy in Smash 4, which even is used in Smash Tour! Honestly, it's like nobody cares about spoilers at Nintendo, considering Lucina is here at all.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They did it even before THAT with the Mecha-Fiora trophy in Smash 4, which even is used in Smash Tour! Honestly, it's like nobody cares about spoilers at Nintendo, considering Lucina is here at all.
And Sheik too.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
Hello, a new fan for Elma in smash just wanting to raise an interesting point about something bizarre I've noticed (other than the lack of XCX music.) Forgive me if I note anything that has been noted before.
1.) Elma's reveal trailer in XC2. While I loved the fact that she got her own trailer an thought showing off her skills and special Overdrive was interesting, why did they make it? They could have foreshadowed her in the XC2 season pass trailer that came out on July 31st. How much of a last minute addition to the game was she? which leads me to my second point.
2.) Elma's interaction between her and the party of XC2. There is nothing new in her voiceover interaction with the party. In her intro cutscene, she's the only one speaking, all of her post-battle comments from rex and the others are reused, and the main cast doesn't even say her name in both the Japanese and English versions of the game.
Again, this seems very last minute, to the point where she wasn't even planned in the first place. Compared to Corvin who was released on the same day and has everything noted in the second point that Elma doesn't. I don't know how long it would take a company to program Elma into the game as a boss fight, with a few different cutscenes, and her different attacks in the game, but I still think its worth noting.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Hello, a new fan for Elma in smash just wanting to raise an interesting point about something bizarre I've noticed (other than the lack of XCX music.) Forgive me if I note anything that has been noted before.
1.) Elma's reveal trailer in XC2. While I loved the fact that she got her own trailer an thought showing off her skills and special Overdrive was interesting, why did they make it? They could have foreshadowed her in the XC2 season pass that came out on July 31st. How much of a last minute addition to the game was she? which leads me to my second point.
2.) Elma's interaction between her and the party of XC2. There is nothing new in her voiceover interaction with the party. In her intro cutscene, she's the only one speaking, all of her post-battle comments from rex and the others are reused, and the main cast doesn't even say her name in both the Japanese and English versions of the game.
Again, this seems very last minute, to the point where she wasn't even planned in the first place. Compared to Corvin who was released on the same day and has everything noted in the second point that Elma doesn't. I don't know how long it would take a company to program Elma into the game as a boss fight, with a few different cutscenes, and her different attacks in the game, but I still think its worth noting.
She was last minute.

When people were datamining Xenoblade 2, they found data of Shulk, Fiora, Crossette, and Corvin around May. Plus the Expansion Pass had shown Crossette, Corvin, and Poppibuster as silhouettes at first. Those three were planned at the beginning. Shulk and Fiora were likely planned for the Land of Challenge mode, and thus for the beginning. The voice work was likely all done at the beginning of 2018 as Poppibuster came out in April. Elma was datamined around June and was found to be as simply an enemy blade. A "why not" type of scenario I guess.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Elma's last second inclusion could mean any number of things. They might've been surprised by the success of the game and expansion pass and decided to add a bit more content, or it might've been a later decision because they knew Elma would appear in something else.

It's worth noting her model is almost identical to her XCX model with only a modified face/head/hair and textures. So she was definitely less work to implement then Shulk/Fiora.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
You know, with this in mind, this does open up the question when the initial fighters for the DLC pack where decided. I mean, sure, Sakurai said that they were finalized recently, but that doesn't mean that there are individual ones that could've been decided earlier. . . which in turn could have influenced how certain other games handle their content.

And as a side note,
It's really kinda starting to feel like Xenoblade in general got the short end of the stick. From the looks of it, Metal Face isn't even a proper boss, and therefore most likely not even in Shulk's Classic Mode, which is honestly just baffling. Seemingly the only game in the series that got any kind of love was 2, and that. . . I better not say any more on my opinion on 2.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Weirdly enough, and I'm going to repeat myself here; XB2 had an exclusive dedicated section during a Smash direct, which proves that the series itself isn't really something they know they can forget about. It just begs the question as to why XBX itself is so underrepresented when that game had major significance in the Wii U's life... and plenty of evidence to suggest that Nintendo and Monolift Soft definitely recognize its existence. Like how Elma had her own special trailer in XB2 and how we even got a tad bit more lore for XBX in her intro cutscene (and probably other voice lines.)

Maybe the fighter that was cut wasn't Petey Pirahna. Maybe it was Elma...but they held back on her because she has a difficult to program mechanic and she had to become a DLC character because of that?

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
Also, what if monolith and nintendo are doing a "Christmas miracle" and porting XCX to the switch during the winter direct? The whole "money is an issue" thing seems kind of weak, could be true, but kind of weak. (I'm probably too recklessly optimistic.)

Last edited:

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Also, what if monolith and nintendo are doing a "Christmas miracle" and porting XCX to the switch during the winter direct? The whole "money is an issue" thing seems kind of weak, could be true, but kind of weak. (I'm probably too recklessly optimistic.)
I haven't played X yet and I really want to so this would be dope for me.
Fingers crossed.

Although if Elma is going to be DLC, I could see them going with the Switch port alongside the Elma release, which will be around mid next year at the earliest.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
1.) Elma's reveal trailer in XC2. While I loved the fact that she got her own trailer an thought showing off her skills and special Overdrive was interesting, why did they make it? They could have foreshadowed her in the XC2 season pass trailer that came out on July 31st. How much of a last minute addition to the game was she? which leads me to my second point.
She was last minute.

When people were datamining Xenoblade 2, they found data of Shulk, Fiora, Crossette, and Corvin around May. Plus the Expansion Pass had shown Crossette, Corvin, and Poppibuster as silhouettes at first. Those three were planned at the beginning. Shulk and Fiora were likely planned for the Land of Challenge mode, and thus for the beginning. The voice work was likely all done at the beginning of 2018 as Poppibuster came out in April. Elma was datamined around June and was found to be as simply an enemy blade. A "why not" type of scenario I guess.
I like to think that she wasn't planned initially but she was added after Sakurai and Nintendo decided that she was going to be one of the DLC fighters in Smash, so Monolith wanted to promote her the most before she was added in Ultimate by giving her her own trailer, music and special tecniques like Overdrive. No matter how last minute she was, she did leave an impression on XC2.

Last edited:

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
Don't know if it's been posted but here's the Elma Spirit.

Not sure if that harms or helps anything

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
It seems pretty unlikely, but hey, at least there's still chances for announcements this year. The Video Game Awards as well as the rumored second Direct for this month come to mind.

Don't know if it's been posted but here's the Elma Spirit.

Not sure if that harms or helps anything
We've been over this here. Several times in fact.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I was thinking about something: what if Nintendo makes a collaboration with DAEMON X MACHINA and gives it some Xenoblade X content like characters and SKELLs crossing over? It might sound crazy but considering they licensed Star Fox, a minor series with a quite divisive last game, to Ubisoft for Starlink (which isn't even a Switch exclusive, unlike DxM) and that they did already licensed Xenoblade content in the past (Fiora in Project X Zone 2) then it isn't such an odd idea.
And it might help for hyping up an hypotetical XCX2: first Elma in Xenobalde 2, then in DAEMON X MACHINA, then Super Smash Bros and finally the game. That would make Elma also a good pick if the DLC are being decided for promotion purpouses.

Top Bottom