• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
It seems like we'll have to unlock a bit of XC1 tracks, as the screen where they showed the XC2 songs had some XC1 songs missing (I might be wrong on this, some guy on Discord was talking about it and I haven't verified it myself)
Seems unlikely. There were eleven songs listed, eight were in Smash 4, three new tracks from 2 were added. The ones not shown were most likely simply not on screen in that shot.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am a bit conflicted regarding Elma's DLC prospects on paper.

One the one hand, Xenoblade X will be turning four years old next year, and MonolithSoft seems to be busy on a new project. According to an interview back in October, a Xenoblade X port might not happen due to expense reasons (however, this can easily change).

On the otherhand, the near complete absence of Xenoblade X content in Ultimate is extremely bizarre. No music tracks. No Assist Trophy reference. No Mii costume reference. The only reference to X so far is a spirit of a Skell.

If Elma is among the few characters to not receive a spirit in Ultimate, it will be extremely obvious that the character is being saved for DLC (as well as combined with the near complete absence of X content in general). We shall see in a month whether this is the case.

However, I am also curious. Does Xenoblade X's music have any special copyright issues that might potentially be keeping the music out?

Right now, it seems like Elma is a frontrunner for DLC due to the suspicious absence of Xenoblade X content.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

One the one hand, Xenoblade X will be turning four years old next year, and MonolithSoft seems to be busy on a new project. According to an interview back in October, a Xenoblade X port might not happen due to expense reasons (however, this can easily change).

On the otherhand, the near complete absence of Xenoblade X content in Ultimate is extremely bizarre. No music tracks. No Assist Trophy reference. No Mii costume reference. The only reference to X so far is a spirit of a Skell.

If Elma is among the few characters to not receive a spirit in Ultimate, it will be extremely obvious that the character is being saved for DLC (as well as combined with the near complete absence of X content in general). We shall see in a month whether this is the case.

However, I am also curious. Does Xenoblade X's music have any special copyright issues that might potentially be keeping the music out?

Right now, it seems like Elma is a frontrunner for DLC due to the suspicious absence of Xenoblade X content.
I would think the opposite re: copyright issues. Hiroyuki Sawano is ok with letting people use his music, as it’s a way to broaden his audience.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I would think the opposite re: copyright issues. Hiroyuki Sawano is ok with letting people use his music, as it’s a way to broaden his audience.
Yes, it's hard for me to imagine Sawano refusing to let any of his music be in such an extremely high profile game when he has almost exclusively done music for anime/TV/movies in the past. This could broaden his audience quite a bit.

I'm conflicted too... We can't be sure when the DLC characters were decided upon, even if the comment about Xenoblade 2 being too recent suggests it was before 2017. We can't know if Nintendo/Sakurai believed it would be a good idea having Xenoblade X content as DLC either. I think that would depend partially on how much faith they have in Monolith Soft as a developer and a potential sequel (or port?) with Elma. I'm honestly expecting Elma to be a spirit, but I'm hoping that she isn't or that it's only done to make it not obvious she's DLC.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Considering X music was in Xenoblade 2 there's no real reason for it not to be in ultimate

KatKit

Smash Lord
Crazy theory: While Xenoblade X's soundtrack is good, what if the real reason its music is suspiciously absent in Smash is because of some the outlandish song titles? :secretkpop:

Seriously though, imagine causally scrolling through the playlist and seeing straightforward titled songs like Don't Worry and Uncontrollable next to N木ig木ht木L, 96-:rip, aBOreSSs, no5=KAKU-WEST*→▲★★KAI, etc. Then there's a German titled song, songs with capitalization all over the place, and even one with a mixture of kanji and English letters. People unaware of the weird title names would probably think their game is breaking lol. Heck, merely typing them out somehow italicized my text afterwards, I kid you not.

Naturally, I'm banking on Elma being DLC, but I can imagine Sakurai going "screw it" when looking at some of X's song titles and making them all unlockables.

Last edited:

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
Crazy theory: While Xenoblade X's soundtrack is good, what if the real reason its music is suspiciously absent in Smash is because of some the outlandish song titles?
It would be fine if they went for songs with more normal titles... In addition to Uncontrollable and Don't worry there's THEMEX, CODENAMEZ/In the forest, NO.EX01, Black Tar, and The key we've lost. Those are the main songs I'd want anyway besides a melody with multiple area themes.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Crazy theory: While Xenoblade X's soundtrack is good, what if the real reason its music is suspiciously absent in Smash is because of some the outlandish song titles? :secretkpop:
Never talk to me or my aBOreSSs, MNN+@0・, or z30huri2ba0tt12le1110 ever again.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Seems unlikely. There were eleven songs listed, eight were in Smash 4, three new tracks from 2 were added. The ones not shown were most likely simply not on screen in that shot.
Are the Xenoblade 2 songs even at base, I believe they could also be bundled with the Rex costume?

D

Deleted member

omg this cant be happening elma would never say the f word oh god oh **** oh god

Smashboards and the eater of meme images -_-

Last edited by a moderator:

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
It seems xenoblade 2 and Torna the golden country got no nominations on VGA. Unless there is a "Nintendo switch" category I didn't see.

ZelDan

Smash Master

Seriously though, imagine causally scrolling through the playlist and seeing straightforward titled songs like Don't Worry and Uncontrollable next to N木ig木ht木L, 96-:rip, aBOreSSs, no5=KAKU-WEST*→▲★★KAI, etc. Then there's a German titled song, songs with capitalization all over the place, and even one with a mixture of kanji and English letters. People unaware of the weird title names would probably think their game is breaking lol. Heck, merely typing them out somehow italicized my text afterwards, I kid you not.

Naturally, I'm banking on Elma being DLC, but I can imagine Sakurai going "screw it" when looking at some of X's song titles and making them all unlockables.
You know, I'va always wondered what the hell the song titles were about. Is it known why the song titles are so weird in Xeno X? Like, is there some creative reason for it, or was someone just screwing around when thinking up names? (wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter TBH)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It seems xenoblade 2 and Torna the golden country got no nominations on VGA. Unless there is a "Nintendo switch" category I didn't see.
That's an honest surprise. I figured XC2 would get a decent set of nominations even if just for the music.

Side note, I finally bit the bullet and downloaded Torna. Looking forward to playing it!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
omg this cant be happening elma would never say the f word oh god oh **** oh god

Smashboards and the eater of meme images -_-
It seems to work whiley quoting, at any rate.
And pfft, that's actually an image that I made. The reason why I didn't post it here was because I didn't exactly want to perpetuate any of the negativity/toxicity that people were complaining about recently.
. . .And I already saw that someone just reposted the image on Reddit without asking for permission, or even linking to the source. Great.

Side note, I finally bit the bullet and downloaded Torna. Looking forward to playing it!
Have fun! The game's essentially "Xenoblade lite", which of course is by no means a bad thing.

Last edited:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Hmm, seems like Nintendo is completely absent from VGA 2018. Sans Octopath Traveler which I consider Square Enix anyway.

I feel like a Smash announcement there is unlikely; but we might get DLC announcement close to launch either way.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I feel like a Smash announcement there is unlikely; but we might get DLC announcement close to launch either way.
You mean like the first Smash Ultimate teaser, but instead of the veterans being silhouetted, it's the DLC characters? That could kick up some imaginations.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
You know, I'va always wondered what the hell the song titles were about. Is it known why the song titles are so weird in Xeno X? Like, is there some creative reason for it, or was someone just screwing around when thinking up names? (wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter TBH)
If I remember correctly, these names were actually all encoded in some way. For example, something like "aBOreSSs" means "Ares Boss", you just have to read the lowercase and uppercase letters seperately.
"MNN+@0・" is an encoded version of "Manon", with the "+@0" meaning that you have to add an "a" and an "o" to it, or at least that's how I interpret it. Not sure what the ・is for, though.
z30huri2ba0tt12le1110 is similar to "aBOreSSs". By just taking the letters, you get "z huri battle", which. . . well, at least it might refer to something. What the remaining number, 30 2 0 12 1110 stands for, I'm not quite sure what, but it's something. I heard that it could stand for the exact date and time when the song was composed, but I don't know how to decypher that.
Edit: I actually compared this last one here with a few other songs with names like that, and I think that the numbers could be explained as follows: The 2012 is the year it was composed, since that is kinda a recurring number among titles, along with a few tracks that have 2013 in them. The 11 and 10 refer to month and day, respectively, so the 10th of November. The 30 I'm still a bit unclear on, but one guess I'm willing to make is that it's just the track's number. So this particular track is basically "#30 z huri battle 10th of November 2012".

Hmm, seems like Nintendo is completely absent from VGA 2018. Sans Octopath Traveler which I consider Square Enix anyway.

I remember hearing something about Reggie being there, though, and wearing a Metroid shirt in an announcement photo for that. Maybe they're gonna show off Metroid Prime 4?

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

Hasn't Nintendo shown up in the last 2 or 3 VGAs? I know they came last year with the Bayonetta 3 announcement. With how on top of things they've been with the Switch so far (for the most part), it'd be weird to see them absent at the VGAs.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I meant nominee-wise. Doesn't mean I'm informed on participation... Sorry, poor choice of wording xD

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Mario Tennis Aces was also nominated...

Not really a surprise at the lack of Nintendo since they didn't do much this year outside of Smash, which obviously hasn't been released yet.

KatKit

Smash Lord
To whoever came up with the "It's Mira, I don't have to explain..." picture: thank you. Elma is a great character for a lot of reasons, but the funny pictures (I love that sunglasses one), and awesome fanart/videos, etc. never gets old and make her even more of a treat. She's got some talented fans, so thanks. If/when she makes it into Smash, I'd like to see more of that kind of fanart.

Nobody knows what it means, but it's provocative!

In all seriousness, the composer said that the music (and how it makes people feel) is more important than the meaning of the titles. He went on to say that the titles have no meaning, if you don't understand them. If I recall correctly, he didn't know when/where certain songs would be played in-game, so he didn't come up with meaningful titles for all of them. Someone mentioned earlier that there's a bit of decoding involved (there is), and I personally think that was done to avoid spoilers, to some extent.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Speaking of music though, here's a thought I had: What if one of the tracks that Sawano composed for Ultimate was an X medley, in much the same way that the original Xenoblade got a medley in Smash 4? What tracks would y'all think should be incorporated in something like that?

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
Honestly Xenoblade X musics do not fit this commercial, they are too much epic / powerful for this.
Aside Nier Automata that I put its ost as the same level of epicness / forcefulness I still haven't seen a game that top Xenoblade X.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Speaking of music though, here's a thought I had: What if one of the tracks that Sawano composed for Ultimate was an X medley, in much the same way that the original Xenoblade got a medley in Smash 4? What tracks would y'all think should be incorporated in something like that?
Uncontrollable and Black Tar, natch, but personal preference wants Ma-Non Day because that's fighting music and would make a good interlude.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
What was done to Xenoblade 2 is really odd, not even Torna, really, just why?

But in a sense, it got the treatment X got in smash ultimate. Justice? Not sure.

Now talking about X, I have been thinking things that could be done in a port to make more people like it, and I thought of something that may be polemic, and I what to hear your opinion on that.

What if the avatar creation has to go through some changes to make adding voices for cross, possible?

I said sometims ago that people would prefer if the avatar in X could interact like the avatars in mass effect. One thing that could be done, to achieve it, is doing some changes to the avatar options.

They could make it more akin to pokemon, where the frame of the boy or girl, is kinda fixed, but you can change, color, hair, pupils, and add some face painting. And at maximum, some degree of hight modification. But just one frame /build face for boy and one for girl, and just one voice for it. This way it would be easier to animated the face, for dialogues, since there is just two faces rather than all the possibilities of the original X. And thanks to this fixed frame, a fixed voice would not look off. So with this, cross would be voiced, so when you pick a line, he would actually say it, with expressions and all, and would also talk in parts with fixed text.

This way two problems people had with X would be fixed. Silent avatar, and clash in art style (since some builds of the avatar creation did not fit with the rest of the art style).

So, on one hand we would lose some degrees of customization, but on the other we would win a much more strong presence for cross while still being an avatar. Would you guys be okay with this.

I don't think that would be a problem for X newcomers, but for people who played the Wii U version, that is something to wonder.

I think this would be a positive change all things considered.

D

Deleted member

What was done to Xenoblade 2 is really odd, not even Torna, really, just why?

But in a sense, it got the treatment X got in smash ultimate. Justice? Not sure.

Now talking about X, I have been thinking things that could be done in a port to make more people like it, and I thought of something that may be polemic, and I what to hear your opinion on that.

What if the avatar creation has to go through some changes to make adding voices for cross, possible?

I said sometims ago that people would prefer if the avatar in X could interact like the avatars in mass effect. One thing that could be done, to achieve it, is doing some changes to the avatar options.

They could make it more akin to pokemon, where the frame of the boy or girl, is kinda fixed, but you can change, color, hair, pupils, and add some face painting. And at maximum, some degree of hight modification. But just one frame /build face for boy and one for girl, and just one voice for it. This way it would be easier to animated the face, for dialogues, since there is just two faces rather than all the possibilities of the original X. And thanks to this fixed frame, a fixed voice would not look off. So with this, cross would be voiced, so when you pick a line, he would actually say it, with expressions and all, and would also talk in parts with fixed text.

This way two problems people had with X would be fixed. Silent avatar, and clash in art style (since some builds of the avatar creation did not fit with the rest of the art style).

So, on one hand we would lose some degrees of customization, but on the other we would win a much more strong presence for cross while still being an avatar. Would you guys be okay with this.

I don't think that would be a problem for X newcomers, but for people who played the Wii U version, that is something to wonder.

Tbh my main issue with X is that Cross was kinda stupid in that he never said **** and felt like a generic nameless entity. I didn't really feel connected to him despite him being my OC. I would rather have an established character like Rex or Shulk

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I forget that you can even have a male Cross. Me and all my friends played female and one of my friends did a bunch of art of her OC interacting with the cast so she's kind of the default Cross in my mind.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

I'd honestly rather keep the avatar the way it already is. And I'm also pretty sure that the animations in X were already rather standardized, so the possible heights are not an issue.

I forget that you can even have a male Cross. Me and all my friends played female and one of my friends did a bunch of art of her OC interacting with the cast so she's kind of the default Cross in my mind.
I personally kinda switch back and forth between male and female, though I admittedly also mostly stick with female. Though doing that also really shows how unnecessarily different some outfits are between genders, with some like L's or Celica's outfit being outright gender-locked. That's something that I hope they change around in either a sequel or an enhanced port.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
https://i.imgtc.com/9X06jCl.jpg

This means nothing officially, but I thought I'd share anyway. These are the results of the Smash subreddit's top 50 most wanted DLC poll, which took in over 6,000 votes (so not a complete picture, obviously, but it gives us a decent idea of where the community's mindset is). Elma finished at #20, so not up there with the heavy-hitters like Banjo, Geno or Sora, but people definitely know who she is.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

This means nothing officially, but I thought I'd share anyway. These are the results of the Smash subreddit's top 50 most wanted DLC poll, which took in over 6,000 votes (so not a complete picture, obviously, but it gives us a decent idea of where the community's mindset is). Elma finished at #20, so not up there with the heavy-hitters like Banjo, Geno or Sora, but people definitely know who she is.
One could argue the Grinch Leak skewed the results (and why do people insist on that awful Isaac Smashified render when his AT looks so good) but this is a solid lineup. Glad to see Elma so high, even if Rex & Pyra are still number 8. Sad about no Neku but Travis even placing makes me happy. And Phoenix that high up? Great!

(On a side note, I started Torna last night and despite originally not feeling like the combat had much weight to it I'm enjoying it a lot! Lora & Jin for Smash.)

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Honestly I don't think any Xenoblade game got nominated in the past for VGA either. (could be wrong, but the original was Boycotted in the US by Gamestop when it first released)

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly I don't think any Xenoblade game got nominated in the past for VGA either. (could be wrong, but the original was Boycotted in the US by Gamestop when it first released)
You got this the wrong way round. The original Xenoblade Chronicles was released in the US as a Gamestop-exclusive, and only received a localization a good while after it was already out in Europe.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
You got this the wrong way round. The original Xenoblade Chronicles was released in the US as a Gamestop-exclusive, and only received a localization a good while after it was already out in Europe.
well its still a boycot, because Gamestop basically sold that game for scalper prices, while in Europe it was more a very rare game like most RPG's

D

Deleted member

Hmm... seems like people don't seem to care about AT or Mii Costume status like they did last time when the ballot was running... iirc that was why Ashley and Waluigi probably did awful during the ballot- their fanbases weren't mobilized, while if you look over at the Isaac thread right now they're running events and planning cosplays, competitive Smash tournaments, and special days like last how Sunday was GS' anniversary so they had something called Golden Sunday

This is probably because we now have Chrom, who's a Mii Costume, Final Smash, and playable Fighter. At this point people probably think it's only a matter of time before someone is an AT and a Fighter

Last edited by a moderator:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Hmm... seems like people don't seem to care about AT or Mii Costume status like they did last time when the ballot was running... iirc that was why Ashley and Waluigi probably did awful during the ballot- their fanbases weren't mobilized, while if you look over at the Isaac thread right now they're running events and planning cosplays, competitive Smash tournaments, and special days like last how Sunday was GS' anniversary so they had something called Golden Sunday

This is probably because we now have Chrom, who's a Mii Costume, Final Smash, and playable Fighter. At this point people probably think it's only a matter of time before someone is an AT and a Fighter
Maybe we should do some stuff with Smash Ultimate for us Elma fans? Maybe a Smash tournament when the game actually comes out? An art contest? Something for the anniversary of Xenoblade X's North America release?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

I'm still not convinced about AT and Mii Costumes being promoted, at least not among the 5 announced characters so far.
Chrom is a special case because he is an echo fighter, and also many people pointed out that his animations looks stiffer than anyone else, pointing towards the idea that he was a late addition to the roster.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Chrom is a special case because he is an echo fighter, and also many people pointed out that his animations looks stiffer than anyone else, pointing towards the idea that he was a late addition to the roster.
Not to mention his in-game model is very VERY rough. Almost as if he was a rush job. If you compare him to the rest of the FE cast you can see how much more blocky he looks.

I seriously think he was added as an echo by popular demand from both fans and developers and Sakurai simply gave in to silence them but preferred not to rework Robin's Final Smash or remove the Mii Costume (since the Costume was pretty much a copy paste job anyway.)

Top Bottom