• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That's actually a really incredible idea, I'm just wondering how they'd incorporate other smash characters into it since every trailer does
Well, I was thinking that it could go something like this:
  • Open on Elma doing The Walk towards the Skell and entering it (let's face it, that's one of the more iconic scenes from X), all without her being shown in full and only from behind
  • Cut to an ongoing battle in Primordia (/Gaur Plains, if there's no new stage after all), featuring characters like Shulk, Samus, Snake, or some of the FE cast against a new boss from X, Metal Face or some miscellaneous villains
  • The battle goes badly until the Skell shows up, does some major damage before it gets damaged
  • Elma jumps out of the damaged Skell, joins the fight, and gets her fighter tagline
  • Cue the gameplay

aarchak

Smash Ace
I have an idea on how Elma's reveal trailer would work.

It opens on some of the FE characters, Link, Cloud, and Shulk fighting Giga Bowser in Primordia's Janpath Plain and getting beaten. Just as Giga Bowser is about to finish them off, Elma's red Skell comes in and stops him, and defeats him, and he falls to the ground, "dead". Elma jumps out, fighter tagline, gameplay.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Okay I have a question for yall, since classic mode for every character has set battles, what should elma's battles be?

I think one where she teams up with ZSS to take down ridley would be cool, maybe she could fight rob cause...y'know...robots.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Okay I have a question for yall, since classic mode for every character has set battles, what should elma's battles be?

I think one where she teams up with ZSS to take down ridley would be cool, maybe she could fight rob cause...y'know...robots.
I can see her going up against any character that's monstrous and/or alien-like, which includes Bowser, King K Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo. Her allies can be human/humanoid space travelers like Samus, Captain Falcon, or even Olimar.

jimbozo

Smash Cadet
I can see her going up against any character that's monstrous and/or alien-like, which includes Bowser, King K Rool, Ridley, and Mewtwo. Her allies can be human/humanoid space travelers like Samus, Captain Falcon, or even Olimar.
Olimar is a must. After all, they both got stuck on a whole different planet.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about classic mode battles for a while, like if battles might have pools they can pull from. So instead of Snake always fighting, say, Bayonetta as his first he'll fight any gunslinger/assassin type character to recreate an MGS bossfight, and all his fights combined essentially make up the plot points of an MGS game (fight Ocelot, fight Ninja, get captured, elevator ambush, that kind of thing). A pool of enemies that each stage can pull from would be best for replayability while still keeping the same theme.

Elma's might be a short summary of X's plot, from arriving at Earth to defending NLA on Mira to finding the Lifehold.
A few ideas;
  • Go Incognito! 1v1 fight; humanoid opponent, Urban/town stage
    • (ie Elma vs Snake/Ness/Zero Suit on Onett/Shadow Moses/New Donk etc)
  • Escape Earth! 2 on 2 Team fight; humanoid ally (your former opponent), alien/otherwordly enemies, spaceship stage
    • (ie Elma and Ness vs Ridley/Wolf/Dark Samus on Lylat/Halberd/Pilotwings)
  • Miran Wildlife! Horde fight; small monster/animal enemies, extraterrestial stage
    • (ie Elma vs 30 Diddy Kong/Duck Hunt/Pikachu on Zebes/Hanenbow/Distant Planet)
  • Miran Tyrant! Metal or Giant fight with allies; large monster/animal enemy, extraterrestial stage
    • (ie Elma, stage 2 ally and new ally vs Giant Donkey Kong/Metal K. Rool on Zebes/Garden of Hope/Brinstar Depths)
  • Defend NLA! 1v1 fight; Robot/Alien enemy, Urban Stage
    • (ie Elma vs Mega Man on Saffron)
  • To the Lifehold! Survival fight (get to the end without being KO'd) on an auto-scroller or travelling stage. Enemies constantly respawn
    • (ie Elma vs horde of Dark Samus on Rainbow Ride/Maro Circuit/Skyloft/Spirit Train)
  • Inside the Lifehold! Free for all against 1 Robot enemy, 1 Alien/otherworldy enemy, 1 wildcard enemy, on an indoor stage
    • (ie Elma vs ROB vs Mewtwo vs Mr. G&W on Kalos League/Dracula's Castle/Gamer/Luigi's Mansion)

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Can't wait to get Elma and play Squad Strike! Elma + Zero Suit Samos + Bayonetta = Deadly Female Team

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Gonna copy and paste my idea from the Event Match Ideas thread:
Some quick ideas:
Betrayal
Player Character: Elma
Allies: :ultshulk::ultlucina:
Opponent: :ultchrom:
Mode: Stamina
Stage: Sylvalum’s Lake Ciel (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Special conditions: if Lucina dies, you lose.
Story: Chrom is defecting to an enemy nation. Elma, along with two friends, must stop him before he compromises their situation.
Music: aBOreSSs (Prog Ares battle)

This is a reference to
Lao betraying New LA. Chrom and Lao are both voiced by Matthew Mercer.

Brotherhood
Player character: :ultsnake:
Opponents: :ultsimon::ultrichter:
Stage: Shadow Moses Island
Music: Calling to the Night
Mode: 3 minute survival (lose if KO’d)
Story: Snake must try to survive against his brothers-in-arms, Simon and Richter. (Reference to the three being owned by Konami.)

Forever he will be our hero
Player character: :ultfalcon:
Opponent: Black Shadow (Falcon echo)
Ally: one of your choice (can’t be Black Shadow)
Stage: Port Town Aero Dive
Mode: 2 Stock + 3 minutes (fail if time runs out)
Music: Theme of Captain Falcon (F-Zero GX)
Story: Captain Falcon faces off against Black Shadow to prove once and for all that he will always be our hero and stop at nothing to protect us all!

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking about classic mode battles for a while, like if battles might have pools they can pull from. So instead of Snake always fighting, say, Bayonetta as his first he'll fight any gunslinger/assassin type character to recreate an MGS bossfight, and all his fights combined essentially make up the plot points of an MGS game (fight Ocelot, fight Ninja, get captured, elevator ambush, that kind of thing). A pool of enemies that each stage can pull from would be best for replayability while still keeping the same theme.

Elma's might be a short summary of X's plot, from arriving at Earth to defending NLA on Mira to finding the Lifehold.
A few ideas;
  • Go Incognito! 1v1 fight; humanoid opponent, Urban/town stage
    • (ie Elma vs Snake/Ness/Zero Suit on Onett/Shadow Moses/New Donk etc)
  • Escape Earth! 2 on 2 Team fight; humanoid ally (your former opponent), alien/otherwordly enemies, spaceship stage
    • (ie Elma and Ness vs Ridley/Wolf/Dark Samus on Lylat/Halberd/Pilotwings)
  • Miran Wildlife! Horde fight; small monster/animal enemies, extraterrestial stage
    • (ie Elma vs 30 Diddy Kong/Duck Hunt/Pikachu on Zebes/Hanenbow/Distant Planet)
  • Miran Tyrant! Metal or Giant fight with allies; large monster/animal enemy, extraterrestial stage
    • (ie Elma, stage 2 ally and new ally vs Giant Donkey Kong/Metal K. Rool on Zebes/Garden of Hope/Brinstar Depths)
  • Defend NLA! 1v1 fight; Robot/Alien enemy, Urban Stage
    • (ie Elma vs Mega Man on Saffron)
  • To the Lifehold! Survival fight (get to the end without being KO'd) on an auto-scroller or travelling stage. Enemies constantly respawn
    • (ie Elma vs horde of Dark Samus on Rainbow Ride/Maro Circuit/Skyloft/Spirit Train)
  • Inside the Lifehold! Free for all against 1 Robot enemy, 1 Alien/otherworldy enemy, 1 wildcard enemy, on an indoor stage
    • (ie Elma vs ROB vs Mewtwo vs Mr. G&W on Kalos League/Dracula's Castle/Gamer/Luigi's Mansion)
I like the idea of it following the plot of XCX, but I'm gonna follow it from the point Elma finds Rook, and do it so the characters are set in stone. The characters representing Rook will change from event to event.
  • Get to NLA, 2v2: Elma and Shulk (representing Rook) vs. Olimar (small indigens in Starfall Basin) and Wolf (Elder Grex) on Distant Planet (Starfall Basin)
  • First encounter with the Prone, vs. Team: Elma vs. Team Donkey Kong (Prone) on Moses Island (Seaswept Base)
  • Saving the Ma-Non, 1v1: Elma vs. ROB (Ganglion Skell) on Gerudo Valley (Oblivia)
  • Attack on NLA, 2v2: Elma and Mega Man (Rook) vs. Zelda (Ryyz) and K. Rool (Dagahn) on Prism Tower (NLA)
  • vs. Traitor, 3v1: Elma, Snake (Rook) and Inkling (Lin) vs. Giant Bowser Jr. (Traitor) on Venom (Cauldros)
  • vs. Vita, 1v1: Elma vs. Dark Samus (Vita) on Midgar (Lifehold)
  • Final battle, FFA: Elma vs. Ridley (Chimera) vs. Bowser (Chimera) vs. King Dedede (Chimera) on Brinstar Depths (Kraid = Final boss)

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
still wondering if Elma will be built on Bayonetta's parameters
not if she should be a clone, like "something to start from instead from scratch"

for example: Corrin and Bayonetta were built from Ike and Zero Suit Samus' parameters respectively according to DLC game data
and Little Mac had some leftover stuff from Falcon via animation, so he was probably built from Falcon's parameters when doing him

and if my memory is right, some hit animations for Roy and Ryu were traced back from Robin and Ganondorf. (shame i can't remember the sourcegaming article for that tho)

Last edited:

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't be surprised, considering that some moves like "Sliding Slinger" are like Bayonetta's Heel Slide.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I could definitely see that happening. None of the other characters in the game already don't really fit Elma's basic build and dual-wielding premise. Likewise, I could actually also see Elma being used in Bayonetta's Classic Mode as a stand-in for Jeanne, considering that fits her colour scheme and (very basic) fighting style pretty well.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
So, I had a dream about Elma in Smash last night. It felt so real and when I woke up, I couldn't help but be upset because I knew it was just a dream.

This has actually happened to me once before. We can only hope that my dreams are the equivalent of Shulk's visions. I can't exactly put my finger on why, but it feels like right now is the worst when it comes to waiting. I guess we did just come down off of the Elma blade reveal hype, so I'm already suffering from news withdrawal. Hope we get a direct announced in the next week or two.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Think we could get some Smash reveals at Tokyo Game Show? Nintendo will be showing up there for the first time ever (?) and Smash will most likely be there. It’s also the ideal place to announce a Xenoblade X port...

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Think we could get some Smash reveals at Tokyo Game Show? Nintendo will be showing up there for the first time ever (?) and Smash will most likely be there. It’s also the ideal place to announce a Xenoblade X port...
They've been there before, it's just been a long time. Don't get your hopes up though, they won't have a booth and are only there for business.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
They've been there before, it's just been a long time. Don't get your hopes up though, they won't have a booth and are only there for business.
In what form are they at TGS? I can't say I really follow that...

But yeah, I expect the next reveal to be in a Direct this month.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If that’s the case I hope it’s on the digital release date of Torna, just for the sake of tieing in. They did it with Shulk when Xenoblade 3D was announced...

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
In what form are they at TGS? I can't say I really follow that...

They're taking meetings with other companies that scheduled with them in advance. Nobody on the outside seems to know anything more than that.

So yeah, they're not going there to talk to the press or put on a show.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I honestly hope so, especially if it's soon. The constant fake leaks and so on are honestly getting kinda annoying, mostly because these "leakers" pretty much all sleep on Elma.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I honestly hope so, especially if it's soon. The constant fake leaks and so on are honestly getting kinda annoying, mostly because these "leakers" pretty much all sleep on Elma.
I did see a recent “ESRB” leak in the Smash Ultimate Discussion thread and it has Elma, Waddle Dee AND Chorus Kids and some echoes I want but he misspells ESRB and lists Viridi as an echo when her stage cameo still exists

And making Viridi playable as well will be harder than making Captain Toad or new Final Smash characters like Kumatora, Fiora, Proto Man or Bass playable...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
They're taking meetings with other companies that scheduled with them in advance. Nobody on the outside seems to know anything more than that.

So yeah, they're not going there to talk to the press or put on a show.
Thank you very much.

I did see a recent “ESRB” leak in the Smash Ultimate Discussion thread and it has Elma, Waddle Dee AND Chorus Kids and some echoes I want but he misspells ESRB and lists Viridi as an echo when her stage cameo still exists

And making Viridi playable as well will be harder than making Captain Toad or new Final Smash characters like Kumatora, Fiora, Proto Man or Bass playable...
Uh, I'm going to look into it, but Viridi's stage cameo isn't really as big of a problem since that is her godess vision rather than her physical body, similar to how Palutena appears in Chapter 18
1535995000286.png

It's similar to how Duck Hunt appears on his stage as an 8-bit sprite.

EDIT: Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura Do you have a link? I coulkd't find it on the Speculation Thread...

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Uh, I'm going to look into it, but Viridi's stage cameo isn't really as big of a problem since that is her godess vision rather than her physical body, similar to how Palutena appears in Chapter 18
View attachment 161597
I think the point here was that it would be difficult for her not to be playable at all, but for her to be an Echo Fighter. There isn't really a good character to base her off, considering how she's a lot shorter than Palutena, and we have yet to see Echo Fighters from different series.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thank you very much.

View attachment 161597

EDIT: Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura Do you have a link? I coulkd't find it on the Speculation Thread...
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76961661

“ERSB” yeah...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think the point here was that it would be difficult for her not to be playable at all, but for her to be an Echo Fighter. There isn't really a good character to base her off, considering how she's a lot shorter than Palutena, and we have yet to see Echo Fighters from different series.
Well that might be another problem, but we don't know how much they can push the echo brand. We started with near carbon copy like dark Pit and now we have different moves and abilities with Chrom and even a different roll and physic with Dark Samus. It could be a similar situation like Link and Young Link in Melee.
Also I didn't really played Palutena that much in Smash For, but I don't really remember any attack were she used her body, they were all eighter light magic or with her staff.

Thank you, I will check it immediately.

EDIT: Yeah, misspelling ERSB might have been a dumb mistake, but it could have happened even if it was real.
The real red allarm is 19 echoes, the reference to the Roster Maker (which is known only to people here on Smashboards) and litteraly adding all the current most speculated characters. I would love this to be real, but I agree that this is 99.999% fake.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
who supposedly works for them but can't even spell it right...

Also that's a ridiculous amount of echoes, there's no way we're getting that many
Black Shadow seems cool, but I think Octoling would be DLC, and Dark Meta Knight? Dry Bowser??

Tfw no Zack in the echoes list either or at least one more Namco rep for Uniques

Last edited:

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
A lot of them just seem to be caught up in the furor over Isaac and Skull Kid. Apparently LoZ recently walked back his statements on them to a less confident "They're in, but I'm not sure they're playable." I'd expect those two to be the focus of any opportunistic fake leaker out there, Elma doesn't generate as much drama.

When Viridi joins the battle, Alfonzo is in charge of dropping the Reset Bomb.

Alfonzo: "Leave it to me."

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well that might be another problem, but we don't know how much they can push the echo brand. We started with near carbon copy like dark Pit and now we have different moves and abilities with Chrom and even a different roll and physic with Dark Samus. It could be a similar situation like Link and Young Link in Melee.
Also I didn't really played Palutena that much in Smash For, but I don't really remember any attack were she used her body, they were all eighter light magic or with her staff.
It'd still be a bit far-fetched to just think that someone like Viridi is fair game already. So far, all Echo Fighters pretty much shared the basic physique with the characters they're based off, and, again, Viridi is quite a bit shorter than Palutena. Not to mention that your example of Link and Young Link isn't really a matter of Echo Fighters.

I mean, the character choices for unique newcomers are nice, but generally, this whole thing would just be too good to be true.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
It'd still be a bit far-fetched to just think that someone like Viridi is fair game already. So far, all Echo Fighters pretty much shared the basic physique with the characters they're based off, and, again, Viridi is quite a bit shorter than Palutena. Not to mention that your example of Link and Young Link isn't really a matter of Echo Fighters.

I mean, the character choices for unique newcomers are nice, but generally, this whole thing would just be too good to be true.
If Echoes were introduced in Melee, Young Link would have counted as one, I would bet on that. Now they are classified as different also because of all the new moves Link got since Melee, and especially in Ultimate with the new Bombs or Grappling Hook. Also Young Link was based on Link in a very similar way as Echoes are done today.

I just think that we cen't really say that a significant height difference is enough from preventing an Echo, especially if it is a populr charactter like Viridi is.
And again, we thought "All Echoes are going to be near carbon copy with just different taunts" until Dark Samus (different physic being floatier, different attack animation, different roll and dodge) and Chrom (completely different Up-b, different tip mechanic, 3 hits Up-Smash instead of 5 hits) happened, and all those differences are gathered from the little we have seen of them.

Anyway, back on Elma: I finished today her Affinity Chart in XC2! Those special conversation around Alrest were great fanservice, and really showed her calm and collected personality while also showing more of her sensible side.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Anyway, back on Elma: I finished today her Affinity Chart in XC2! Those special conversation around Alrest were great fanservice, and really showed her calm and collected personality while also showing more of her sensible side.
Man, I really need to get the expansion pass soon. I'm missing out on so many things.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I don't think we'll be getting a reveal outside of an official Nintendo/Smash Direct.

I'd be pretty happy with this ESRB leak, but it's super fake.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
To be honest, I don't think we'll be getting a reveal outside of an official Nintendo/Smash Direct.

I'd be pretty happy with this ESRB leak, but it's super fake.
I think they could pull another robin and lucina and just drop a trailer on the smash site, but I don't think we'll get any at any specific events.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Back to the topic of a reveal trailer, one of the most memorable parts of Xenoblade X was the cutscenes where you first walk into NLA with Elma. THEMEX is playing and it's just a really cool moment. Even though Smash trailers are all action-y and everything, I'd love to have a similar feel where it just casually reveals her with THEMEX playing. A high energy Skell fight would also do it for me, but there'd be a different feeling for me personally if it was something as simple as her walking out and looking over NLA.

D

Deleted member

Do you think Elma would have (XBX story spoilers)
Her true form as a costume alt? Or would it be too "skimpy"? They could sensor it slightly like F!Corrin.

Last edited by a moderator:

aarchak

Smash Ace
Her true form as a costume alt? Or would it be too "skimpy"? They could sensor it slightly like F!Corrin.[spoiler/]
I don't think they should, but Sakurai is a madman who PUT MECHON FIORA IN SHULK'S FINAL SMASH, so it isn't impossible. I would much prefer her alts to be references (or maybe even the armor of) the other potential party members (Lin, Irina, Gwin, etc.).

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't think they should, but Sakurai is a madman who PUT MECHON FIORA IN SHULK'S FINAL SMASH, so it isn't impossible. I would much prefer her alts to be references (or maybe even the armor of) the other potential party members (Lin, Irina, Gwin, etc.).
He's also the mad man who put Sheik in smash as Zelda's transformation just 3 years after ocarina of time came out, at least with fiora it had been 8 lmao

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If Echoes were introduced in Melee, Young Link would have counted as one, I would bet on that. Now they are classified as different also because of all the new moves Link got since Melee, and especially in Ultimate with the new Bombs or Grappling Hook. Also Young Link was based on Link in a very similar way as Echoes are done today.

I just think that we cen't really say that a significant height difference is enough from preventing an Echo, especially if it is a populr charactter like Viridi is.
And again, we thought "All Echoes are going to be near carbon copy with just different taunts" until Dark Samus (different physic being floatier, different attack animation, different roll and dodge) and Chrom (completely different Up-b, different tip mechanic, 3 hits Up-Smash instead of 5 hits) happened, and all those differences are gathered from the little we have seen of them.
I'm still unconvinced. After all, the only past characters that were rebranded into Echo Fighters now were Lucina and Dark Pit, and both of them are pretty much carbon copies of the characters they're based off, right down to attributes. And weren't there already statements from Sakurai or the development about how Echo Fighters share most of their attributes?

Her true form as a costume alt? Or would it be too "skimpy"? They could sensor it slightly like F!Corrin.
I'd honestly prefer if they didn't spoil that. I think
her true form is a bit ehhh anyway, since she goes from the skintone of her mimeosome to being literally white. I get that that's most likely just a thing of her race, but it still comes off as a bit questionable to me.
That aside, I'd prefer her having a tank top alt, anyway. I mean, those things probably make up the biggest percentage of quest rewards.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Hmmm...no music update tonight plus rumors of a potential Nintendo Direct this week.

The hype is uncontrollable!

Edit: Oops, I'm wrong. The music update is supposed to be coming tomorrow. My bad!

Last edited:
Top Bottom