• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Finally beat Elma Redux (on Easy). Hardest fight in the game personally. As soon as I changed orb she would use ghost walker and I would end up with 7 ghosts lol.
Had to fight her with overclock and constant dark orbs to compensate. I only have 80 hours in the game.

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
On the topic of victory themes, what's everyone's idea for one? Links and Timestamps for everyone's enjoyment would be appreciated too!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Victory themes eh?

Can’t do it as well on mobile but: THEMEX from 4:22 to 4:28.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Y'all know what a fanboy I am of Black Tar by now, I'm thinking the guitar riff that stretches from 0:29 to 0:44 would be my ideal Elma victory theme.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
After watching that XC2 trailer so many times, I keep wondering how they'd do a smash trailer

"So, you're my enemies then"
Sees 70-something Smash characters
"They really did crank up the difficulty this time..."
*Annouces All Star mode after reveal*

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
This AC was fun! And the Last heart-to-heart mission of the affinity chart is curious but I will do a spoiler if someone doesn't wanna know

There's a conversation with Rex, Myrtha, Elma, Shulk and KOS-MOS and Rex says that maybe they being all together is what the wise nopon meant when he said that everybody wants Shulk and Elma in the same place. But Elma says (in the spanish version) : Maybe you're right, but I've got a feeling that there's something more... A meaning, a purpose...

And Shulk agrees. This is some good fanservice, I hope this leads to a smash reveal

Ps: sorry for the writing but Im writing from my phone rn and the autocorrect changes all the english Words for spanish words D:

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
This AC was fun! And the Last heart-to-heart mission of the affinity chart is curious but I will do a spoiler if someone doesn't wanna know

There's a conversation with Rex, Myrtha, Elma, Shulk and KOS-MOS and Rex says that maybe they being all together is what de wise nopon meant when he said that everybody wants Shulk and Elma in the same place. But Elma says (in the spanish version) : Maybe you're right, but I've got a feeling that there's something more... A meaning, a purpose...

And Shulk agrees. This is something good fanservice, I hope this leads to a smash reveal

Ps: sorry for the writing but Im writing from my phone rn and the autocorrect changes all the english Words for spanish words D:
Man, I would LOVE to complete Elma's Affinity Chart, but I had to leave town without my Switch for a week. I just had enough time for unlocking her to Alrest (by using Custom difficulty...I have no regrets).
I MISS MAH GURL!

domriver

Smash Lord
Changing the subject, but how would you like to see Elma interact with the other Smash characters?

Of the playable cast, the two characters I could see her interacting with the most are :ultsnake: and :ultsamus:. Snake because of his past life in the military, and the fact that he's dealing with yet another Colonel while in Smash, who this time is a playable character, and Samus because they're both cool Sci-Fi female protagonists who frequently face off against alien threats. Elma would probably respect them both for their various skills, and Samus in particular for her association with the Chozo and her frequent protections of alien life on various planets.

I could also see her disliking both :ultridley: and :ultwolf: since they're exactly the kind of aliens who would be found within the Ganglion's ranks.
I see her interacting with Shulk -.- lol But as far as for Ridley and Wolf quite even so Ganondorf she would already dislike them due to their nature.

Bowser lands in Primordia after Shulk Back Slashes him off Gaur Plains, Elma appears in her Skell, shoots him up, and jumps out.
ELMA KICKS THINGS INTO OVERDRIVE
Elma in her Skell as a final smash would be beautiful.

Victory themes eh?

Can’t do it as well on mobile but: THEMEX from 4:22 to 4:28.
There are to many themes in Xenoblade that are just very very good. Music and the possible stages.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Changing the subject, but how would you like to see Elma interact with the other Smash characters?

Of the playable cast, the two characters I could see her interacting with the most are :ultsnake: and :ultsamus:. Snake because of his past life in the military, and the fact that he's dealing with yet another Colonel while in Smash, who this time is a playable character, and Samus because they're both cool Sci-Fi female protagonists who frequently face off against alien threats. Elma would probably respect them both for their various skills, and Samus in particular for her association with the Chozo and her frequent protections of alien life on various planets.

I could also see her disliking both :ultridley: and :ultwolf: since they're exactly the kind of aliens who would be found within the Ganglion's ranks.
I would love to see Elma and Snake interact. Two of my favourite characters ever doing something together? Sign me in. I can already imagine their first meeting being a fight because Snake mistakes Elma's Skell for a new and dangerous Metal Gear. I did write a possible Codec for Elma somewhere? if I find it I will post it here.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I haven't bought any of the DLC for XC2 yet. But I did look into a lot of the stuff for Elma that was added into the game.

First off, it's pretty cool to see Elma, Shulk and Rex standing side by side. And I appreciate a lot of the references to XCX, even mentioning something as little as acknowledging the different pronunciations of 'Nopon'.

After seeing this, I do feel a bit more anxious to see her possibly get added into Smash. Though lately with the whole focus on fan-favourites and how limited newcomer slots will be in the game I have been feeling slightly pessimistic about her inclusion. However I do still feel she's got a decent chance. I'd like to think she had enough support during the release of XCX and the DLC period of Smash 4 for her get consideration.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Finally beat Elma Redux (on Easy). Hardest fight in the game personally. As soon as I changed orb she would use ghost walker and I would end up with 7 ghosts lol.
Had to fight her with overclock and constant dark orbs to compensate. I only have 80 hours in the game.
I just went for custom difficulty, with everything set as much in my favour as possible. I may have about 200 hours in the game, but I have no patience.

After seeing this, I do feel a bit more anxious to see her possibly get added into Smash. Though lately with the whole focus on fan-favourites and how limited newcomer slots will be in the game I have been feeling slightly pessimistic about her inclusion. However I do still feel she's got a decent chance. I'd like to think she had enough support during the release of XCX and the DLC period of Smash 4 for her get consideration.
With everything that went into Elma's appearance in this DLC, I would be surprised if there wasn't something more planned for her, be it her making it into Smash, an X port, or sequel. I mean, she got her own reveal trailer at an event, two memorable boss fights, a big introductory scene that gives a good overview of her background (before the EVERYONE IS HERE of XBC2), five unique party chats that explore her personality and backstory in more detail, two songs to accompany her, and a recreation of the Overdrive mechanic that's arguably even more faithful than the recreation of the Vision mechanic. They're really pushing her with this update, especially when you compare it to what Shulk and Fiora got: A cutscene, the Vision mechanic, and one song.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I just went for custom difficulty, with everything set as much in my favour as possible. I may have about 200 hours in the game, but I have no patience.

With everything that went into Elma's appearance in this DLC, I would be surprised if there wasn't something more planned for her, be it her making it into Smash, an X port, or sequel. I mean, she got her own reveal trailer at an event, two memorable boss fights, a big introductory scene that gives a good overview of her background (before the EVERYONE IS HERE of XBC2), five unique party chats that explore her personality and backstory in more detail, two songs to accompany her, and a recreation of the Overdrive mechanic that's arguably even more faithful than the recreation of the Vision mechanic. They're really pushing her with this update, especially when you compare it to what Shulk and Fiora got: A cutscene, the Vision mechanic, and one song.
Yeah, and that's not counting the whole Sage Nopon teasing debate.

I really feel there is something more for our beloved Colonel.

EDIT: I also noticed something: while her battle is very difficult, both her challange are set at level 60. Shulk and Fiora were given away at the beginning, but in order to unlock them in Alrest you have to beat a level 99 challenge. It almost feels like the developers went the extra mile to assure that most players could try getting Elma (since you reach level 60 easely in a normal playtrough trough the story without grinding) and know her more...

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
lvl 60 is the cap in X so it is a reference to the original game.
(Where's QOTD)
I did the QotD thing to drum up hype for Elma's reveal, I never intended to go beyond her reveal. I guess I could go back to it, but I can't promise I'll do it daily. I'd be perfectly fine if someone else wants to be in charge of the QotD. Any volunteers?

Question of the Day: What is your favorite alien race?

Gonna make this short and sweet. For me, it's gotta be the Ma-non. Their obsession with pizza is hilarious. I mean, who doesn't love pizza? Oh, I should mention that the pizza murderer sidequest was entertaining as heck.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yeah, I really like the Ma-non too. For an alien race that could've easily just been treated as "comical" or "amusing" because of their cutesy voices, there's a surprisingly large number of them with more depth than you'd think. I especially liked that Ma-non BLADE member for how dedicated he was to his job and in helping you out.

FireFury190

Smash Rookie
You know I've been thinking about Elma's chances as a DLC character if she didn't make the base roster. I used to think her chances would be extremely low because of the high demand for Rex and Pyra. But after thinking about it, there really isn't any rule that says only one DLC character per franchise. Especially since in Smash 4 we got Roy and Corrin who are both from Fire Emblem. Yeah Roy was a veteran but they still had to completely remake his moveset. Even making him a semi-clone. So having 2 characters from the same franchise with completely original movesets as DLC isn't too outlandish.

Plus given that Sakurai said he loved Xenoblade 2, he would have at least heard of Shulk and Elma all being in Rex's game right now. And knowing that having all 3 protagonists together is a huge amount of fanservice that maybe adding Elma into Smash is just as important as adding Rex. Especially since both can offer something unique.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Zaruboggan are probably my favorite thanks to their backstory (their bible is "our god loves us and made a planet full of voltant for us", but their god looks like us and is likely Samaar, which makes their bible look like a cover story for "our gods made a lot of garbage and made us to clean it"). XBX never really explains too much, but that much seemed to make sense and connecting the dots to come up with that interpretation was really satisfying. I also like Prone since you get to know a lot about their customs. There's like, 2 weddings and a funeral involving them, you learn about their beast-taming, dancing, their feud with Cavern prone, etc.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Picking a favorite alien race was way too difficult, but I just have to say that the quests about the alien races were just fantastic.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I'm a fan of the Orpheans, personally, and not just because they remind me of District 9. They're basically Vulcans, but also giant mantis men, which is reason enough, and I also thought the Ovah was an interesting concept. The reveal of the truth behind it (which I won't spoil) was also an enjoyable bit of writing.

Seriously though, why does "lolnope, your religion is a hollow lie" seem to be such a prevalant theme in this series?

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I did the QotD thing to drum up hype for Elma's reveal, I never intended to go beyond her reveal. I guess I could go back to it, but I can't promise I'll do it daily. I'd be perfectly fine if someone else wants to be in charge of the QotD. Any volunteers?

Gonna make this short and sweet. For me, it's gotta be the Ma-non. Their obsession with pizza is hilarious. I mean, who doesn't love pizza? Oh, I should mention that the pizza murderer sidequest was entertaining as heck.
Like most things in X, it's really hard for me to pick what I like the most out of a group of things, but if I have to choose, I think I'll pick the Wrothians.

Mostly because their noble warrior race reminds me a lot of the Elites from Halo

And I still think there should have been Wrothian party members

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Seriously though, why does "lolnope, your religion is a hollow lie" seem to be such a prevalant theme in this series?
It seems to be a common JRPG plot element in general. Can recount Final Fantasy X and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn as two examples off the top of my head.

EDIT: Putting that in spoilers just in case even though the two examples I picked are more than a decade old.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
It was so good to see the Elma Blade! Still need to purchase the DLC (and beat XCX altogether)

Ma-non here too. They're so well spirited and funny! At first their voice kinda annoyed me but I grew to kinda love it? lol

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
I really do like Elma but if I'm being honest I do think her chances significantly drop if she's not in the base roster.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I really do like Elma but if I'm being honest I do think her chances significantly drop if she's not in the base roster.
Agreed, although that only applies if an X port/sequel aren't announced. And if that were to happen it would probably run rex's chances into the ground unless sakurai decides to add him just because he likes xenoblade 2 that much.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Makes sense at first yeah, but then when you realize there's a fair chance that X2 (or possibly an X port) has probably already started development and suddenly it doesn't seem as unlikely.

However maybe I'm being biased but I believe Elma's chances of making it in the base game are slightly higher than otherwise and I feel like she is now the most likely newcomer to make it in (eh, maybe second below Geno). The fact is, most of the candidates sans Gen 7 rep, Elma, and Rex are relying on Ballot popularity where in which we don't have the proper statistics for. If we make the assumption that even 1 more rep is getting in without Ballot infuence but rather traditional smash guidelines, then suddenly Elma is competing with only two real viable contenders.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The ballot importance seems a bit overblown to me. I mean, Ridley and K. Rool are long overdue additions, Inkling is from a new game and Simon is a classic retro addition. K. Rool is hurt by a lack of appearances but otherwise all those characters could be added in a Smash game even without a ballot. Smash discussion shifted from "RELEVANCY IS EVERYTHING" to "POPULARITY IS EVERYTHING" so fast it gave me whiplash.

When we see someone like Isaac or Skull Kid get in, then we know that popularity is everything. (Even Geno has been seriously considered before, the ballot would just be the final push to get him added).

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The ballot importance seems a bit overblown to me. I mean, Ridley and K. Rool are long overdue additions, Inkling is from a new game and Simon is a classic retro addition. K. Rool is hurt by a lack of appearances but otherwise all those characters could be added in a Smash game even without a ballot. Smash discussion shifted from "RELEVANCY IS EVERYTHING" to "POPULARITY IS EVERYTHING" so fast it gave me whiplash.

When we see someone like Isaac or Skull Kid get in, then we know that popularity is everything. (Even Geno has been seriously considered before, the ballot would just be the final push to get him added).
Not so much overblown but more so heavily misinterpreted.

Sakurai said that they were looking at the ballot for inclusions (because that's what they said they would use the ballot for and it's a very damn good point of reference for him to use) and that K Rool scored highly on the ballot. I see a lot of people saying something similar about Chrom and Dark Samus, however we only know that support for Chrom was strong in Japan and Dark Samus was strong overseas. While the ballot may have been a factor in their inclusion but it could've been requests in other areas that they got noticed as well. K Rool is the only character we know for certain was chosen based on the ballot and honestly until Sakurai says otherwise there's no real reason to believe that ballot's the only point of reference he's using. tbh I don't think Simon Belmont did particularly well on the ballot, as support for the character was rather around mid-range imo.

I don't think that Sakurai's ONLY looking at the ballot for potential characters in the same way relevance wasn't the only factor for Smash 4's characters, hence why characters like Megaman, Duck Hunt, and Bowser Jr.'s were included.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
You know I've been thinking about Elma's chances as a DLC character if she didn't make the base roster. I used to think her chances would be extremely low because of the high demand for Rex and Pyra. But after thinking about it, there really isn't any rule that says only one DLC character per franchise. Especially since in Smash 4 we got Roy and Corrin who are both from Fire Emblem. Yeah Roy was a veteran but they still had to completely remake his moveset. Even making him a semi-clone. So having 2 characters from the same franchise with completely original movesets as DLC isn't too outlandish.

Plus given that Sakurai said he loved Xenoblade 2, he would have at least heard of Shulk and Elma all being in Rex's game right now. And knowing that having all 3 protagonists together is a huge amount of fanservice that maybe adding Elma into Smash is just as important as adding Rex. Especially since both can offer something unique.
While I think the reason for that was due to Roy being a vet and Corrin filling the role of promoting an upcoming game. It would be funny if by the end of DLC Xenoblade had Shulk, Rex & Pyra, Elma and Malos as a Shulk echo fighter.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Rumor - Xenoblade X port is coming to Switch. Could it be announced along Elma revealed for Smash?

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Rumor - Xenoblade X port is coming to Switch. Could it be announced along Elma revealed for Smash?

Please check the man's source it says 2016. (Laura Kate Dale 2016 (Not reliable))
He just connected an old rumour to the Elma blade and then complains about the wii u's graphics.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Please check the man's source it says 2016. (Laura Kate Dale 2016 (Not reliable))
He just connected an old rumour to the Elma blade and then complains about the wii u's graphics.
Plus complaining a lot about the game in general. It's pretty obnoxious to watch, really.

That aside though, does anyone know which other characters from X Elma references in 2? So far, I've caught her mentioning Lin, Lao, Doug and L.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice

The Orpheans!

Also, I just beat Elma in XC2. At first I was like "level 60 cap? ezpz", then I was like "oh **** it really is XCX, level 60 means nothing, i'm ****ed". Now I need to beat the challenge that unlocks the ability to take Shulk, Fiora and Elma to Alrest.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
Plus complaining a lot about the game in general. It's pretty obnoxious to watch, really.

That aside though, does anyone know which other characters from X Elma references in 2? So far, I've caught her mentioning Lin, Lao, Doug and L.
She mentions an ambiguous "him", who I think is the guy that she used to run the tandem Skell with, who was also treated with secrecy in XCX. She mentions Tatsu as well.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Wait! Elma mentioned Lin, Lao, Doug, and L? Where did she mention them?
She occasionally namedrops Lin in battle, saying something like "This is how I protect Lin!".
Lao is namedropped when she activates her Keen Eye Field Skill for anything, something about being as great of a sniper as Lao is.
Doug is also mentioned in battle, although I've only heard it once or twice, and didn't really catch it either time. Something about. . . well, "something that Doug also has problems with".
L might've been her affinity chart, but I'm not sure. At any rate, it's something about his weird "phrases".
Personally, I'm hoping that she also mentions Irina and Gwin somewhere.

Top Bottom