• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
You know, I'm starting to consider making one of these fancy compilation images. You know, the ones that people have already made for other characters to list all the things that point towards their inclusion, like the one with Shantae I've seen recently. That'd make it easier to spread these things around, and who knows, maybe one of these YouTubers who make Smash speculation/leak videos picks it up for a video so that it can reach more people.
Yes please. You can use all my bullet points I once did for this tread, they should have been added to the first post IIRC.

I would do it myself but I sucks at doing those tipe of charts.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I really really really want XCX content just so that people would stop considering it the "black sheep" of the franchise. Even though it's my least favorite Xenoblade, it's still a damn good game and it would be an awful shame if Rex/Pyra got in as DLC with their own music and stage and XCX gets nothing. That'll just feed the XCX haters- "XCX is the only one not represented in Smash!!!" or some bull**** like that

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I honestly don't think Rex/Pyra would make the base roster. It's still a case of "they're too new", since the timing of Ultimate's finalized project plan was still pretty early in XC2's development.

I could see Elma potentially being paired with KOS-MOS, since they're both technically part of the overall Xeno franchise. But that might be a stretch since KOS-MOS is technically a 3rd party character, so I'm wondering if a 3rd party reveal would have to share the spotlight with a 1st party character.

That's the only way I could see Elma being in a double reveal that makes sense. Unless we pair her up with someone from another franchise, like Isaac.
The leak that lines up with the banner says the following:
- Ray was cut (makes sense with Custom Robo’s trademark being cancelled)
- Dixie Kong was cut (maybe she was on the initial roster but something came up, idk what it could be)
- Monster Hunter was cut (lines up with the Rathalos boss/AT and MH stage but no playable rep)

If it’s true, those three may be in Chrom/Chorus Kids’ situation in 4. Sakurai may have also have had a Greninja moment with Rex, or at least played enough of his game to be familiarized.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Alright then, I'm done making the compilation image. I decided to do this based on the "Elma's Advice" tutorials from X, to neatly tie this thematically together, even if it did end up making the individual parts a bit large. I used Nonno Umby Nonno Umby 's argument list for this, though I ordered the points chronologically, rewrote some parts, and added a few bits of my own.

So, first of, as a series of images:

CaseForElma1.png

CaseForElma2.png

CaseForElma3.png

CaseForElma4.png

CaseForElma5.png

CaseForElma6.png

CaseForElma7.png

CaseForElma8.png

CaseForElma9.png

CaseForElma10.png

And here it is as a one hecking big image, that is even too big to properly upload on Smash Boards' servers.

If anyone has any further additions/found any typoes/found any other mistakes, let me know so I can feel like a complete and utter idiot correct it.

- Dixie Kong was cut (maybe she was on the initial roster but something came up, idk what it could be)
- Monster Hunter was cut (lines up with the Rathalos boss/AT and MH stage but no playable rep)

If it’s true, those three may be in Chrom/Chorus Kids’ situation in 4. Sakurai may have also have had a Greninja moment with Rex, or at least played enough of his game to be familiarized.
Rex and Pyra still seems as unlikely as ever, if you ask me. Remember Skye Bennet's statements about not being contacted? If the two character reveal is a Xenoblade one, it could be Elma with Cross/Rook as an Echo Fighter.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright then, I'm done making the compilation image. I decided to do this based on the "Elma's Advice" tutorials from X, to neatly tie this thematically together, even if it did end up making the individual parts a bit large. I used Nonno Umby Nonno Umby argument list for this, though I ordered the points chronologically, rewrote some parts, and added a few bits of my own.

And here it is as a one hecking big image, that is even too big to properly upload on Smash Boards' servers.

If anyone has any further additions/found any typoes/found any other mistakes, let me know so I can feel like a complete an utter idiot correct it.

Rex and Pyra still seems as unlikely as ever, if you ask me. Remember Skye Bennet's statements about not being contacted? If the two character reveal is a Xenoblade one, it could be Elma with Cross/Rook as an Echo Fighter.
Ali Hillis said she wasn’t contacted to voice Palutena, but Palutena was still in; they just used a different VO. They could just as well use a different VO for Pyra.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Actually, what I think of the "two character reveal" is Elma and Isaac.

Shulk, Marth, and Link battle Rathalos in the trailer, and Elma comes in to assist to beat it. Then some sort of Richter thing happens with Isaac saving the rest of the group's butt as the "hype" reveal. We still get Elma but the trailer's focus is Isaac.

That's what I want to believe, anyway.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Ali Hillis said she wasn’t contacted to voice Palutena, but Palutena was still in; they just used a different VO. They could just as well use a different VO for Pyra.
it's possible but i don't see why they would do that, skye doesn't seem all that busy and has expressed interest in doing it

Alright then, I'm done making the compilation image. I decided to do this based on the "Elma's Advice" tutorials from X, to neatly tie this thematically together, even if it did end up making the individual parts a bit large. I used Nonno Umby Nonno Umby argument list for this, though I ordered the points chronologically, rewrote some parts, and added a few bits of my own.

If anyone has any further additions/found any typoes/found any other mistakes, let me know so I can feel like a complete an utter idiot correct it.

just saying but there's no part 3 lol, other than that this is great

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly I really really really want XCX content just so that people would stop considering it the "black sheep" of the franchise. Even though it's my least favorite Xenoblade, it's still a damn good game and it would be an awful shame if Rex/Pyra got in as DLC with their own music and stage and XCX gets nothing. That'll just feed the XCX haters- "XCX is the only one not represented in Smash!!!" or some bull**** like that
I actually liked XCX more than XC1 myself (haven't played XC2, so can't compare it to that).

Gameplay-wise I thought XCX was definitely superior to XC1. Better deeper combat, more stuff to fuind in the overall world, way more customization, skells...

Story-wise, eh, honestly I felt both games were decent. Both games had interesting themes, both games had a cast of characters I was okay with (although the whole Lyn cooking Tatsu gag did get grating), and I thought both games had some dumb moments in their stories too. One thing I'll say is that while XC1 had a larger focus on story, I do think XCX was much better when it comes to world-building. XCX's side quests had actual stoies to them and there were actual side stories, where IIRC XC1's side quests were basically just only "do x amount of y", do because of that I almost kind of prefer XCX when it comes to story.

Music-wise, like story, I think both games are actually pretty close. XCX music admittedly took a pretty weird direction, but some of the weird vocal stuff aside, XCX still had some nice tracks, and honestly, some of my favorite tracks from XCX beat out the better tracks from XC1 I think.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

That is simply amazing! I'm going to post this everywhere so that more and more people can know Elma's situation.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh, on a more random note: I decided to do something I could've already done about two months ago, and compared the height of Shulk in Xenoblade 2 to that of Elma. Since Shulk actually has an official height of 171cm/5'7'', I was able to figure out that Elma should be around 185cm/6' tall. I don't know what to do with this information, but it's there.

Story-wise, eh, honestly I felt both games were decent. Both games had interesting themes, both games had a cast of characters I was okay with (although the whole Lyn cooking Tatsu gag did get grating), and I thought both games had some dumb moments in their stories too. One thing I'll say is that while XC1 had a larger focus on story, I do think XCX was much better when it comes to world-building. XCX's side quests had actual stoies to them and there were actual side stories, where IIRC XC1's side quests were basically just only "do x amount of y", do because of that I almost kind of prefer XCX when it comes to story.
Uhh, are you sure that you're remembering the sidequests in XBC1 correctly? While there were admittedly plenty of basic missions like that, there were also plenty of sidequests that not only developed NPCs, but also their relationships with one another, the world of the Bionis and the Mechonis, and even the party members. These sidequests don't really contribute anything to the main story, but they are pretty deep. The sidequests in X are pretty much the same, except that they do arguably contribute to the main story, if you consider the main story of X to be anything that's about humanity establishing a new home on Mira.
But really, these kinds of sidequests are a good part of what makes the Xenoblade series so great in my eyes. . . and a big reason why I didn't like 2 very much, since the sidequests there don't realyl develop any NPCs, and get for the most part just shoved aside for the Blade quests, which, as a whole, I found to be pretty boring and forgettable.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Pokemon is a franchise that has the ability to take a character, like Greninja, and have a flexible moveset built around it because in Pokemon, the story doesn't always revolve around a single Pokemon, even if it's a starter. Even if you picked Froakie as your starter in X and Y, your Pokemon's moveset is always going to change as you level them up.

You can't really do that as well with Rex and Pyra because XC2's story CONSTANTLY revolves around them. Their fighting style is changing as the story progresses, but unlike Pokemon, you can't really create a moveset on character(s) that are very crucial to a game's story unless you keep it close to the source material.

And by the time the project time was finalized, I'm not sure that source material was even finalized.

I'm not against Rex/Pyra making it into the base roster, I just can't see it happening.

aarchak

Smash Ace

Amazing. Perfect. I especially love the use of the advice columns for organization. Spread that across the internet so people can see it better.

On another note, I still don't believe the Grinch leak. I don't think I'll ever believe in it until the reveal line up. Speaking of which, do you all think Elma's reveal would disconfirm the Grinch leak or not? My guess is yes, because how could the leaker miss Elma if the banner was real?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Oh, on a more random note: I decided to do something I could've already done about two months ago, and compared the height of Shulk in Xenoblade 2 to that of Elma. Since Shulk actually has an official height of 171cm/5'7'', I was able to figure out that Elma should be around 185cm/6' tall. I don't know what to do with this information, but it's there.
How funny, 185 cm is exactly my height too! I never known that I am as tall as one of my favourite girls in videogame.

Last edited:

aarchak

Smash Ace
Wait, Elma is 6ft tall? She seems about average size in X, where there are many party members as tall or taller than her. Wait, then how tall is L? He's way taller than any other party member in X, how tall is he?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait, Elma is 6ft tall? She seems about average size in X, where there are many party members as tall or taller than her. Wait, then how tall is L? He's way taller than any other party member in X, how tall is he?
I swear L is like 7'5” or something

Elma is 5'10” I think

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, what I did was admittedly not the most reliable method. But she should be at minimum 5'9''. To be completely certain, though, someone would need to directly compare her model in XBC2 to Shulk's. At any rate, I intend to do some more comparisons in X based on that knowledge, so I can try to figure out some more heights, like L's.

Last edited:

Yarael-BJ-Poof

Smash Cadet
I just came here to say that Cross/Rook has better voice acting than Rex.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

But seriosuly, XCX is, no matter what people say, indeed the dark horse of the series, primarily because it was on the Wii U. If XC2 was released on the Wii U, and XCX on the Switch, I can almost guarantee people would worship XCX and call 2 the dark horse.
And Elma, whether or not she's the main character, deserves a spot in Smash. Then maybe XCX would get a Switch port, and MAYBE EVEN A SEQUEL?? (Xenoblade Chronicles X-2 sounds right) The story just had so many unanswered questions that just left me begging for a sequel. So yeah, Elma in Smash would be cool. I support. I'm sorry if this isn't a support thread, I didn't read it all forgive me plz

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I do believe Xenoblade is likely to get a new character so its time to #GiveElmaAChance, shes been underrated long enough.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The most important question tho

What would Elma Kirby look like?? >w<

(Side note how would Rex Kirby work tho :thonk: )

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Is there a source for this?
I can only find her stating her reasons for not voicing Palutena.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is there a source for this?
I can only find her stating her reasons for not voicing Palutena.
Oh, my mistake. Either way Ali didn’t get to voice Palutena. Does anyone know if Skye Bennett is union or no?

I’m just imagining Kirby with Elma’s white hair. That would look so cute!
It's gotta be Kirby with guns. Just like Bayonetta.
Now I’m imagining Kirby with a high pitched voice saying “Swidin Singah” like a Kirbified version of “Sliding Slinger”

heLP ITS TOO CUTE??????

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I swear L is like 7'5” or something

Elma is 5'10” I think
L should become a basketball player. He'd do very well for himself with that height.
Alright, going back to this now, I took a few comparison pictures of one of my female avatars, Elma, Lin and L in X, with each of them in the lead of the party, and without resetting the camera. Doing that allowed me to compile this image:
HeightsX.png
So for Elma, I decided to go with the lowest height I got from the comparisons in 2, which was 1.80 meters, since otherwise the resulting heights seemed a bit unlikely to me. (I'm not going to bother with measurements in foot this time, since I really don't get how decimals are supposed to work with this system. Sorry!)
Starting with L, this puts him at a bit more than 2.20 meters.
Continuing to my avatar - who's set to maximum height, for reference - that'd be 2 meters, maybe a bit more.
And lastly, with Lin, this means she's 1.60 meters.

So. . . yeah. There's that. I think that means that Lin is actually taller than Melia (and most likely, Rex) and around the same height as Fiora. For L, that means he is taller even than Reyn, and that he might even be around the same height as Egil. For the avatar, I'm not actually surprised that the maximum height might be around 2 meters, seeing as Japan also uses the metric system, and it's a good enough cut-off point.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Alright then, I'm done making the compilation image. I decided to do this based on the "Elma's Advice" tutorials from X, to neatly tie this thematically together, even if it did end up making the individual parts a bit large. I used Nonno Umby Nonno Umby 's argument list for this, though I ordered the points chronologically, rewrote some parts, and added a few bits of my own.

If anyone has any further additions/found any typoes/found any other mistakes, let me know so I can feel like a complete and utter idiot correct it.

Excellent job, both you and Nonno Umby Nonno Umby ! I will be adding this to the OP.

I also just now realized I haven't added the link to the Discord channel for Elma. Is there a permanent link, Fierymew Fierymew ?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Uhh, are you sure that you're remembering the sidequests in XBC1 correctly? While there were admittedly plenty of basic missions like that, there were also plenty of sidequests that not only developed NPCs, but also their relationships with one another, the world of the Bionis and the Mechonis, and even the party members. These sidequests don't really contribute anything to the main story, but they are pretty deep. The sidequests in X are pretty much the same, except that they do arguably contribute to the main story, if you consider the main story of X to be anything that's about humanity establishing a new home on Mira.
But really, these kinds of sidequests are a good part of what makes the Xenoblade series so great in my eyes. . . and a big reason why I didn't like 2 very much, since the sidequests there don't realyl develop any NPCs, and get for the most part just shoved aside for the Blade quests, which, as a whole, I found to be pretty boring and forgettable.
How tall would she be without the heels though? those have gotta add on a few extra inches

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes please. You can use all my bullet points I once did for this tread, they should have been added to the first post IIRC.

I would do it myself but I sucks at doing those tipe of charts.

Are there a lot of bullet points for Elma? Sorry, I havent kept up, so I'm out of the loops as to what's going good for her inclusion.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Are there a lot of bullet points for Elma? Sorry, I havent kept up, so I'm out of the loops as to what's going good for her inclusion.
There are some very interesting points about her. You can either check this tread's first post or the amazing pictures Calamitas Calamitas did in order to share and spread those

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There are some very interesting points about her. You can either check this tread's first post or the amazing pictures Calamitas Calamitas did in order to share and spread those
Very well structured and presented. Besides there being long paragraphs, I think it's really nicely put together, and useful :)

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
On the note of things that I could have already done two months ago: I got curious about how the Japanese version of Xenoblade 2 handled Elma's DLC, the trailer and "It is dream of everyone to see Shulk and Elma in one place together" line in particular. What I found was that there seems to be no trailer for Elma in the Japanese version. Either that, or I simply couldn't find it.
As for the Nopon Archsage's line:

DreamOfEveryoneJP2.png

シュルク is Shulk, and エルマ is Elma. There is still no mention of レックス (Rex) or フィオルン (Fiora). What is however there is みんな, meaning everyone. I had to rely on the Japanese character names on the Xenoblade Wiki as well as Google Translate to figure this out since I don't speak Japanese, but it's pretty certain: This line was deliberatly chosen to only mention those two, and is in no way a mistranslation.

Edit: I just asked a friend of mine for a translation on that line as well as having it typed out. My friend was a bit uncertain, but both they and Google Translate agree that "シュルクやエルマがやってくるのはみんなの夢も!" translates to something like "Everyone's dreams that Shulk and Elma come along!". So yeah, little room for error there.

How tall would she be without the heels though? those have gotta add on a few extra inches
I kinda doubt that those would make much of a difference, considering how Xenoblade 1 and X tends to handle their models, but I suppose it's worth checking. There should be a couple of outfits that don't have any kind of heels on them.
(Seriously though, why the hell do the developers feels the need to put heels on all kinds of female outfits??)

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I think that ElmaKirby should have Elma's true form hair, with the crystal looking things on his forehead. That'd make people who don't know about it go, "Huh, that doesn't look like Elma?"

I love how they do that with ZeldaKirby; he references her younger version in OoT, and it looks less generic than regular hair.

He'll look cute regardless of what they do though lol.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I think that ElmaKirby should have Elma's true form hair, with the crystal looking things on his forehead. That'd make people who don't know about git g, "Huh, that doesn't look like Elma?"

I love how they do that with ZeldaKirby; he references her younger version in OoT, and it looks less generic than regular hair.

He'll look cute regardless of what they do though lol.
That reminds me of how before the release of Smash 4 and reveal of Shulk, people were a bit concerned that Kirby with Shulk's ability would look a bit too similar to Robin. And then in the end, they just gave Kirby the Monado, which worked just fine.

#Elma4Smash

Smash Cadet
hello everyone, i literally just made this account to say that im a supporter and that i'm so happy i found this thread, i didn't know there were so many people so dedicated to my most wanted smash newcomer, even if elma is not in the base roster im not losing hope until they stop updating smash

Calamitas

Smash Champion
What are guy's thoughts on the model gun might been used for Mach Rider instead of Elma's Skell?
To preface this: I'm still sceptical towards the leak, so keep that in mind.
Anyway, even if it was, that'd be just one point taken out of the list of things pointing towards Elma. Rifles aren't exactly the most iconic Skell superweapons in X, so I'm guessing the figurine itself could've still been used as reference for the general Skell movements. The most likely Skell for Elma's Final Smash would be the Ares 90, and the strongest attack of that, the Aghasura Cannon, is shoulder-mounted anyway.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
What are guy's thoughts on the model gun might been used for Mach Rider instead of Elma's Skell?
I mean there isn't a written rule that states that model gun can't be used for both Mach Rider and Elma. In fact using it for more than just a single character would be a better justification for buying it.

hello everyone, i literally just made this account to say that im a supporter and that i'm so happy i found this thread, i didn't know there were so many people so dedicated to my most wanted smash newcomer, even if elma is not in the base roster im not losing hope until they stop updating smash
Welcome abord, fellow BLADE!

Last edited:
Top Bottom