• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
they just had a much worse Earthquake in Fuji hours ago and they JUST had a very awful Typhoon before the quakes came
what an awful time to be in Japan, especially with all those injuries and deaths.
cripes

aarchak

Smash Ace
I had heard about the earthquake yesterday on the radio (in the car, I'm not old), and seeing the direct getting delayed hammers home how devastating it is for the people of Hokkaido. I hope they can recover and go on with life soon.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

It's a neat video, but I don't agree with everything this person says. Some of his points are plain wrong, such as "Cross" being the default name and Xenoblade X selling less than the original.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman

It's a neat video, but I don't agree with everything this person says. Some of his points are plain wrong, such as "Cross" being the default name and Xenoblade X selling less than the original.
Do we even have digital sales of Xeno X? (vgchartz guesses 0.84million without digital)
I like to think all 3 xenoblade games as having sold a million (3ds port helps the original).

D

Deleted member

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought the case was that "Rook" was the Avatar's Default Name in the US but "Cross" in Japan.

As for my stance on Elma vs. Rex & Pyra. If we're talking base game, Elma. If we're talking DLC, Rex & Pyra. The draft for the roster was decided roughly late 2015 when Rex and Pyra's designs weren't finalized which makes it unlikely that they even could have been considered. Elma doesn't have that problem, but in the realm of DLC Rex & Pyra is probably the character they'd go for given Xenoblade 2 being what's hot right now. But that's if they only pick one of the two for DLC. If Elma doesn't get in the base game, I'd be all for both Elma AND Rex & Pyra becoming DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Do we even have digital sales of Xeno X? (vgchartz guesses 0.84million without digital)
I like to think all 3 xenoblade games as having sold a million (3ds port helps the original).
Sadly, we don't have any complete sales data for Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X. In terms of digital sales, the only known data we have is Famitsu's estimate of ~20k digital copies for the first month in Japan.

Between the original and eShop release as well as the New 3DS port, XC may very well be a million by now. The combined sales of Xenoblade Chronicles X and the eventual port will almost certainly cross over a million.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The eventual port itself might even cross a million by itself. Tropical Freeze w/ New Funky Mode outsold the original Wii U release easily.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Lol, Media Create just posted the sales number for several Xenoblade games as of December 2017.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 156,717 (with used copies: 164,195)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: 118,098 (with used copies: 175,754)
Xenoblade Chronicles X: 130,886 (with used copies: 200,985)

There isn't one as far as I'm aware. Someone should create one if there isn't such a channel.
If we want Elma in, we'll need a more active community hub tbh. It helps to have a more intimate relationship with the supporters and more can be done to support the character.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So the Smash Blog hasen't been updated yet, which could mean two things:

-The situation in Japan is so dramatic that they can't post that update (altough the one on the site are preplanned without much human intervention)
-The update had something to do with the Direct and so it was pushed back with it, meaning that we would have seen a new character.

In any case I'm still praying for Japan to recover and for the victim of these disasters. Truly a shame that something like that happened...

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

-The situation in Japan is so dramatic that they can't post that update (altough the one on the site are preplanned withhout much human intervention)
-The update had something to do with the Direct and so it was pushed back with it, meaning that we would have seen a new character.

In any case I'm still praying for Japan to recover and for the victim of these disasters. Truly a shame that something like that happened...
I was expecting there to be atleast one newcomer reveal during the direct, and would have been surprised if there wasn't TBH. Smash IS easily NIntendo's biggest title for the year and perhaps even beyond, so it would make sense they would want to keep the hype alive and announce atleast one character per month or something.

between those two options I do feel it'd be the latter one.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Lol, Media Create just posted the sales number for several Xenoblade games as of December 2017.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 156,717 (with used copies: 164,195)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: 118,098 (with used copies: 175,754)
Xenoblade Chronicles X: 130,886 (with used copies: 200,985)

There isn't one as far as I'm aware. Someone should create one if there isn't such a channel.
Yo, I'll join that Discord, if anyone makes it. Or I can, if nobody else does.

-The situation in Japan is so dramatic that they can't post that update (altough the one on the site are preplanned withhout much human intervention)

Yea, I was just about to mention this.
I could see it going either way, but I think it did have something to do with Smash being in the Direct.

Either way, hopefully everyone is able to recover and hopefully go back to living happy and safe lives as soon as possible.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys, I came here to support you guys. My condolences to those who were affected by the earthquake. I hope their recovery is swift and fast. So, I don't mind waiting a bit longer for the Direct to come out. It can wait.

I hope you guys get your wish fulfilled. I think she could be an cool character to play with. I made an picture of Elma fighting with various potential newcomers.

Last edited:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys, I came here to support you guys. My condolences to those who were affected by the earthquake. I hope their recovery is swift and fast. So, I don't mind waiting a bit longer for the Direct to come out. It can wait.

I hope you guys get your wish fulfilled. I think she could be an cool character to play with. I made an picture of Elma fighting with various potential newcomers.

How dare you point a gun at Bandana Dee. I might revoke my support because of that.
I am just joking. It's good to have more supporters.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, how about a new topic of discussion to kill the time? Like, what trophies from X do you expect to make it into the game? That is, not assist trophies, but the collectible trophies.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So, how about a new topic of discussion to kill the time? Like, what trophies from X do you expect to make it into the game? That is, not assist trophies, but the collectible trophies.
I suppose that Lyn, Tatsu, L, Gwin, Doug and Irina are locks considering they are the "main" party. But I could also see the other playable characters, Vandham, the President (I forgot his name) and some monsters and Tyrants. Plus I would love some of those enviromental trophy for each continent and Neo L.A.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought the case was that "Rook" was the Avatar's Default Name in the US but "Cross" in Japan.

As for my stance on Elma vs. Rex & Pyra. If we're talking base game, Elma. If we're talking DLC, Rex & Pyra. The draft for the roster was decided roughly late 2015 when Rex and Pyra's designs weren't finalized which makes it unlikely that they even could have been considered. Elma doesn't have that problem, but in the realm of DLC Rex & Pyra is probably the character they'd go for given Xenoblade 2 being what's hot right now. But that's if they only pick one of the two for DLC. If Elma doesn't get in the base game, I'd be all for both Elma AND Rex & Pyra becoming DLC.
It's funny, after putting a lot of time into Xenoblade 2 (I put 300 hours into X, I've put nearly 800 into 2), I feel like I'd be happy for Rex & Pyra to get in over Elma, although the base game argument is completely valid. After getting Elma as a DLC blade and having Shulk, Elma, Rex and Pyra/Mythra in a team together, with either 'You will know our names' or 'uncontrollable' playing in battles, I REEEEALLY want all 3 main characters in the game - if I have to wait for DLC to make that a reality, then so be it. But Elma and Rex should both be in this game by DLC's end. There are so many unique things they can do with both characters.

-The situation in Japan is so dramatic that they can't post that update (altough the one on the site are preplanned without much human intervention)

It may be a mixture of both. There is no doubt that the direct contained a Smash reveal - it's the done thing in a direct - but also, if the earthquake has affected Nintendo and its employees, that likely means it has affected Sakurai's team as well. I hope all affected will recover from this - I can't imagine what they must be going through.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
It's funny, after putting a lot of time into Xenoblade 2 (I put 300 hours into X, I've put nearly 800 into 2), I feel like I'd be happy for Rex & Pyra to get in over Elma, although the base game argument is completely valid. After getting Elma as a DLC blade and having Shulk, Elma, Rex and Pyra/Mythra in a team together, with either 'You will know our names' or 'uncontrollable' playing in battles, I REEEEALLY want all 3 main characters in the game - if I have to wait for DLC to make that a reality, then so be it. But Elma and Rex should both be in this game by DLC's end. There are so many unique things they can do with both characters.
I could really see this being the case. Xenoblade has really become a strong franchise for Nintendo that they seem to be more than happy to push. With the three main protagonists in the game they’d be representing pretty much all aspects of it.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I hope we get trophy sets like Wii U had, just so we can have one with Vangarre, Vandham and Vandham.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

XenobladeJP didn't update either... They have been making daily updates for Torna ~ The Golden Country since August. That means their update was either tied to a trailer for TTGC or...something related to Smash?

I dunno, I'm probably overthinking lol.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

The only "default name" that may exist is Avatar or <blank space> as indicated when the naming convention shows up. The character is only called "Cross" and some other names in Japanese trailers. Everywhere else, the character has been shown with multiple names, such as Amber or Grant. The character is referred to as "Avatar" on the game's website and in the artbook. The Avatar has never been referred to as "Cross" by the developers nor did they ever imply that the Avatar has a "canon" name.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Assuming Elma's in and there's this coming Direct and one Smash Direct left before release, which Direct do you guys think Elma is more likely to be revealed in? :cool:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Assuming Elma's in and there's this coming Direct and one Smash Direct left before release, which Direct do you guys think Elma is more likely to be revealed in? :cool:
Probably the regular Direct, since while being a cool addition she wouldn't steal the spotlight from the other announcements like Geno or King K. Rool would, and she might be paired with a X port announcment.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Well, Elma getting in with this coming Direct isn't far from possibility, wouldn't it? With the Torna expansion being a standalone retail release, her announcement could certainly push for more last minute pre-orders.

Although that's the same if it was Rex instead.

Please give me Elma first I promised to main her if she got in.

D

Deleted member

The Smash blog has actually been running with a pattern of not updating on Friday's and Saturday's for quite a few weeks now.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Well, if she does not show up now but they also still don't show anything xenoblade x related added to smash, I will keep strong hope.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
The worst case scenario for me would be no Elma but XBX music and a Skell Assist Trophy.
There's just no way XBX wouldn't be represented with how the series is performing AND the OST potential.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a topic on Gamefaqs just brought to light how Rex and Pyra's designs were conceived during the time period of the Project plan after all. Here's the link from the topic:
https://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/...2-production-notes-3-character-design-part-1/
I still don't think they'll be in the base game. As brought up in the video earlier in the thread, Xenoblade characters just aren't they type of characters that can be made from concept art like a Pokemon can.

I can't speak for how Sakurai acts, but seeing as he tries to incorporate every last possible detail of a character when he adds them to Smash, I feel like he would want to fully experience the game before adding Rex and Pyra, so that he doesn't make any fans upset by missing out on any details.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I don't know how it would be bad news. It's not too far-fetched to believe that Rex/Pyra can make it in as well as Elma.
The only real thing that would deconfirm Elma would be what I mentioned earlier: music from Xenoblade X without her.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I still don't think they'll be in the base game. As brought up in the video earlier in the thread, Xenoblade characters just aren't they type of characters that can be made from concept art like a Pokemon can.

I can't speak for how Sakurai acts, but seeing as he tries to incorporate every last possible detail of a character when he adds them to Smash, I feel like he would want to fully experience the game before adding Rex and Pyra, so that he doesn't make any fans upset by missing out on any details.
And even with Pokémon games we talk about games that are releasing the year after the project plan, so games in the final stages of development. XC2 was at its early stages when Ultimate was planned, and the fact that Sakurai eloged the game when he played AFTER its release kinda confirms he didn't had that much knowledge of it before hand.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
To add to what the others have said here: Even if the designs of Rex and Pyra were finalized at that point - why would it matter? Back when the project plan was made, there was no way to tell that the Switch in general and 2 in particular would do as well as they did in terms of sales. The only reason why I could see them prioritizing those two over Elma would be to promote 2, which however doesn't really work, since 2 released about a full year before Ultimate.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To add to what the others have said here: Even if the designs of Rex and Pyra were finalized at that point - why would it matter? Back when the project plan was made, there was no way to tell that the Switch in general and 2 in particular would do as well as they did in terms of sales. The only reason why I could see them prioritizing those two over Elma would be to promote 2, which however doesn't really work, since 2 released about a full year before Ultimate.
Why not have both?

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
I think Rex & Pyra are most likely DLC characters in all honesty. Just hope that if they are, more time is put into them than Sm4sh's DLC. Also, a DLC xenoblade echo like Malos or Addam would be nice too.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Ehh, there is still the matter of Skye Bennett saying multiple times she is not voicing Pyra in the game. She can't confirm or deny involvement if she is under an NDA.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
I actually really enjoy Elma's voice for some reason. Dunno why. Sounds collected and professional to me.

Top Bottom