• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
Welcome to NLA, KiyoXDragon KiyoXDragon , @Luviant X , and L Loz18-Echo ! We officially have 123(4) supporters. ;)

---
Question of the Day: What is your favorite continent and why?

My answer: Oblivia

From the sprawling wastelands, to its floating islands, towering ring structures, and the giant chasm in the middle of the desert, Oblivia is A M A Z I N G. Like... #amazing.

Growing up, I was always fond of deserts. Oblivia makes me nostalgic because my family and I would travel to Las Vegas and the surrounding desert area almost every summer. The background music is pure eargasm and it practically oozes the fact that it is a desert.

In conclusion...just look at this iconic .gif!

Sylvalum night crimson aurora.jpg

Sylvalum for me. It truly gives off the impression of an alien world not recognizable as any known biome in real life. It's even more mysteriously alien at nights and with energy mists and crimson auroras on top of that. It's where the quirky sci-fi element truly becomes relevant for me in the game. As for your answer on Oblivia, I see desert area everyday since I moved to Arizona xD
I should traverse Oblivia more and fight that giant sand-worm tyrant.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Something I just remembered: A few pages back, there was a short discussion about possible reveal tag lines for Elma, and I also had one that nobody else seems to have mentioned:

ELMA
KICKS THINGS INTO OVERDRIVE

I get the feeling you guys all missed this:
https://twitter.com/caitlinsvoice/status/1028492620111200257
Her English VA has made multiple tweets/replies saying she'd like to voice Elma in Smash/that Elma's her most wanted newcomer.

That is, she isn't under NDA. ...Which means Elma's chances are incredibly slim.

She could've been recast, but Ultimate has been doing a very good job of getting characters' most recent VAs (FE, David Vincent for Richter despite not having voiced him in a decade), --with tweets like this happening this close to release, the situation isn't very good.
Others here have already brought up all the arguments that still point in her favour, so there's nothing that I could still add there. But I'm wondering: Isn't this also the exact wording that she has used when she was asked this question before?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
A few pages back, there was a short discussion about possible reveal tag lines for Elma, and I also had one that nobody else seems to have mentioned:

ELMA
KICKS THINGS INTO OVERDRIVE
Personally, I’m thinking about using this as a reference to her being a Full Metal Jaguar:

ELMA IS ON THE HUNT!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Personally, I’m thinking about using this as a reference to her being a Full Metal Jaguar:

ELMA IS ON THE HUNT!
I was thinking this because of her division, the Reclaimers:

Elma Reclaims Her Drive!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I would go with: Elma Skrikes In!
In reference of Shadow Strike, her signature move.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
im calling it now in the artwork of all the characters she will be under dark samus shooting upward while sliding

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Are there any other replies from her about Elma or is it just the one?
A few pages back I posted two examples of her replying to anything regarding Smash bros. the first one is already here, where she says "that would be pretty rad", but the 2nd one has her replying to a tweet that generally asks what someone's most wanted in Smash Ultimate would be. I couldn't tell if that one replied to her originally, but she did say she would want Elma.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Great responses, everyone! I counted everyone's votes and compiled a list.

Cauldros: 0 votes
Primordia & Noctilum: 1 vote
Oblivia: 3 votes
Sylvalum: 4 votes

Now for our next question:

Question of the Day: Besides Elma, who is your favorite playable character? Why?

Lin is my choice. I adore this character. Despite being a teenager, she has a lovable personality and some interesting quirks, particularly her fondness of Skells. I'll never forget the moment when she brought up the Skell fan-fiction. I'm hoping she gets back to that someday. :D

Despite what people might say about her "wooden" face, she is probably the most "human" out of everyone in the main cast. She brings out a lot of emotion in some of the emotional cutscenes.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Dang it, I forgot to cast my vote for favorite location. :p In any case, it was Oblivia.

For my favorite character, it's L. I love how interesting and alien-like his design is, and despite his statuesque appearance he's quite the lovable goofball with the most endearing voice. His battle quotes also tend to leave me in stitches ("It's a horse-eat-horse world!"), even if I'm on the brink of losing a battle.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
A few pages back I posted two examples of her replying to anything regarding Smash bros. the first one is already here, where she says "that would be pretty rad", but the 2nd one has her replying to a tweet that generally asks what someone's most wanted in Smash Ultimate would be. I couldn't tell if that one replied to her originally, but she did say she would want Elma.
Don't quote me on that, and I might exagerate a but, but I feel like she wouldn't give our hopes ups if she didn't knew that something is up. She could have said many of her roles, like Cammy from Street Fighter or Mathilda from Shadow of Valentia. I might be an optimist, but...

Question of the Day: Besides Elma, who is your favorite playable character? Why?

Lin is my choice. I adore this character. Despite being a teenager, she has a lovable personality and some interesting quirks, particularly her fondness of Skells. I'll never forget the moment when she brought up the Skell fan-fiction. I'm hoping she gets back to that someday. :D

Despite what people might say about her "wooden" face, she is probably the most "human" out of everyone in the main cast. She brings out a lot of emotion in some of the emotional cutscenes.
For me it would be Nagi. I really liked him as a politician and general, since he had that stearn look on him. But them when he joins you to the battle he reveals how badass he really is (and he does that to avenge his subordinates, which show how he cares about every human being). I always appreciated old men still kicking butts around, and Nagi is no joke. He is usually my 4th character after Cross, Elma and Lyn in my team.
Honorable mentions goes to Hope, who has a great storyline but she is quite bad as a companion stat wise, and Mia, because I like what I've seen if her so far but unlocking her is a pain (and I still haven't managed it yet).

jimbozo

Smash Cadet
My favorite character other than Elma, it's-a-Mia! The loveable scamp who keeps brightening my life. I love her quirky and silly personality. I remember on my first playthrough running into her all the time, but I never knew I could play as her. She's definitely worth the trouble to get her though.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
https://mobile.twitter.com/caitlinsvoice/status/1022660274854215680
Here's the Twitter post I think Kazenna VA replied to Caitlin first. Don't use Twitter a lot so I can't tell.
Yeah. She was doing a general Q&A session on Twitter (even talking about anime she dubbed etc etc) and Kazenna asked her who she wanted to join the roster of Ultimate, with she replying Elma. Again, not a confirmation nor a disconfirmation, just a vague "I want her" wothout any "I wasn't contacted yet".

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
I finally decided to try and ask Caitlin about Elma in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. In order to leave little suspect I also included Lyn Lee in the tweet.
If you want to check it:
https://twitter.com/Nonno_Umby/status/1030878413496696832?s=09

I really hope this doesn't put Caitlin in trouble, she is a legitimaly nice person...
Good call.

Unfortunately someone on the comments said that it will happen for Elma, which implies he is talking about the datamine.

Given that this is sensitive information and that unfortunately someone already brought up there, the VA may be more afraid to answer that.

But yeah, if they answer we can have a look on what kind of answer they give when under restrictions.

Unless Elma blade ends up being revealed on gamescom before she replies, that would be a bummer.

For the question of the day, mine is Sylvalum, after beating the game sometimes I would go back there just to listen to the music and wander through that beautiful place.

Double post.

I like Nagi and Lao.

D

Deleted member

I still need to finish Xenoblade Chronicles X (haven't even gotten my Skells yet), but Elma's cool, and I'd be happy if she made the cut.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Probably Celica, I love her design and her more dignified and regal personality, she sort of reminds me of Melia who was my fave in the first game

Jibblypuff_

Supposed to be studying
Switch FC
SW 2726 7422 0030
Isn't there some voice actor union thing that prohibits non union actors being mixed with union ones or something of that nature? Is it possible to see if something like that is happening here?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Speaking of
Elma's appearance as Blade in 2, who will y'all be having as her Driver? Personally I'm leaning towards Mòrag since they're a bit similar to each other, but I could also see myself assigning her to Zeke or Nia. That is, if she can just change her Driver like Shulk and Fiora can.
. . .Either way, I'm not going to give her to Rex. Not even once.

In general, I'd say Hope. She's a really selfless and admirable character, and it helps that she's really pretty, too. Her usefulness in battle is something I can't really say anything about, though, since I basically mostly relied on my avatar on that.
If we're limiting things to story-relevant characters, though, I'd say Irina. She's just an interesting character, and I like how there's some strong subtext about her having feelings for Elma.

Chrono.

So I'm here to put myself down as a supporter.

Huge fan of Elma and Xenoblade X happens to be one of my favorite games of all time. Would definitely love to see her in.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
You know, I'm glad that Caitlin has been vocal with her support for Elma for Smash. I know that Palutena's VA from Kid Icarus was unable to do the role in Smash, so I felt that there could be concern no matter how insignificant. For me personally, it wouldn't feel complete if Caitlin didn't voice her in Smash.

Anyways, to answer the question, Nagi and Irina are probably my favorite non-Elma characters from X. Nagi's affinity mission shows just how cool he is, even though he's a little older than the rest of the characters. And, Irina has some really good moments character wise from the entire party.

Also, L deserves special attention because of how much of a walking meme he is.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Speaking of L... I need to start using 'Asscave' as an insult from now on IRL. :troll:

On a different topic, Miiks just uploaded a video of how all the Xenoblade games could be connected in future entries (XCX2 and XC3). Spoiler tagging because this contains heavy spoilers from pretty much the entire Xeno series.

After watching XC2's ending, Klaus and Galea definitely gave me the impression that they are pretty much Xenoblade's version of Fei and Elly. I wouldn't be surprised to see them as the main characters of a new Xenoblade game or something like that.

Also, Miiks' theory of Elma being related to the Conduit is very intriguing. I need the sequel now! T_T

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
Speaking of L... I need to start using 'Asscave' as an insult from now on IRL. :troll:

On a different topic, Miiks just uploaded a video of how all the Xenoblade games could be connected in future entries (XCX2 and XC3). Spoiler tagging because this contains heavy spoilers from pretty much the entire Xeno series.

After watching XC2's ending, Klaus and Galea definitely gave me the impression that they are pretty much Xenoblade's version of Fei and Elly. I wouldn't be surprised to see them as the main characters of a new Xenoblade game or something like that.

Also, Miiks' theory of Elma being related to the Conduit is very intriguing. I need the sequel now! T_T
Interesting! I won't watch until I at least finish Xenoblade Chronicles 2!

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
I'll support Elma as Xeno X is the only game holding me back on the Wii U.

My favourite continent would be Oblivia as it is well designed with unique locations being evenly spread out are and doesn't feel claustrophobic like Noctilum.

Favourite Character would be Gwin as he acts like a young soldier who is learning his way (pretty much how I envisioned cross).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Out of curiosity, during the August direct, did they check the Xenoblade section in the music section, and if they did, was there more tracks for it than 4?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Out of curiosity, during the August direct, did they check the Xenoblade section in the music section, and if they did, was there more tracks for it than 4?
I did, and hot DANG that’s a lot! I mean, did they search through X and 2 to get that number of tracks?

EDIT: Nvm, my memory decided to be a jerk on me.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Unless I'm seriously misremembering something, they went neither over nor in to the Xenoblade section of the music menu.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I guess it’s a Schrodinger’s Cat kinda situation, though they said something along the lines of series with multiple characters get music in their logo while series with only one rep, like Ice Climber and Duck Hunt, have their music in the Other section

Time will tell I guess

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
No, they conviently skipped it. But according to Sakurai's wording "franchises without a character, or if a fighter is from a single game rather than a series then it is under others" makes me suspect that Xenoblade's Music section will indeed have tracks from X and possibly 2. Game&Watch has its own series, with just 2 songs (Flat Zone 1 and 2) because they are originated from different games (like mizing sound effects etc etc). The notable thing is that for example Ice Climbers and Duck Hunta have 3 songs under others, so it isn't a matter of number of tracks.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Never played any Xenoblade games, but Elma's moveset seems really cool and unique. Plus, I like her design ^-^
Go ahead and add me to the supporters.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Welcome to the team guys :)

Great to see a influx in new followers it really makes me happy seeing Elma having a great number of supporters

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Just wanted to drop in real quick and show my support for Elma. I'd like to be added to the support list!

I won't be participating in the discussion because I'm currently playing through the game right now and I don't want to get spoiled. That said, I really hope we get our girl in!

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Question of the Day: What is your favorite Xenoblade Chronicles X moment? ( Nonno Umby Nonno Umby 's suggestion)

The entirety of Chapter 12 has to be my favorite moment of the game. I loved all of the plot twists, even if they ended the game with more questions than answers.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Question of the Day: What is your favorite Xenoblade Chronicles X moment? ( Nonno Umby Nonno Umby 's suggestion)

The entirety of Chapter 12 has to be my favorite moment of the game. I loved all of the plot twists, even if they ended the game with more questions than answers.
The end of chapter 11. Earth shattering revelations, and SO. MANY. FEELS. and that boss fight music <3

And also chapter 12 of course

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Chapter 8 probably, the city being attacked is when **** really starts going down in the story and the setting is just really cool

Last edited:

jimbozo

Smash Cadet

Hmmm, that's a tough one...
I remember starting chapter 8 and actually feeling scared when leaving the barracks to defend against the invasion, and all the references to Xenoblade 1 (Hom-Hom's and the Sword of Legendaryness) were some of my favorite parts.
I'm gonna have to go with Lin's speech after chapter 12 though. Hearing her explain Elma's story, wondering about the other arks, and her saying "We're here, on Mira, and we're alive." Along with the whole montage with all the characters easily makes it my favorite scene in Xenoblade X.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Also chapter 12 for me. Great music, great character interaction (which among the "core" playable cast is admittedly pretty lacking in X), cool final battle, and of course: It's this planet. . . there's something about this planet. . .

In terms of sidequests though, it can only be the Sword of Legendaryness. There's a reason why I picked the reward hologram of that mission as my avatar here.

For future questions, how about people's favourite type of Skell, and what they named them?
Even if the only acceptable name for Elma's Skell obviously is Skelma

Last edited:

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
It's killing me up inside. No leaker is talking about Elma it's making me kinda scared :( but I'm sure she will be in. Pls

At least In a week time though it's gonna be great for all of us.

Top Bottom