• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I got a character I wanted for the 2nd time since Bayonetta, the mecha figure is still at large. I'm sad it's not Elma but I'm excited for the newcomer.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
well at least Byleth broke the all third party pattern. Elma’s chances probably went up now!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'm probably going to stop posting here after this. It's just not worth it. Elma's a spirit and if there's any indication that Sakurai doesn't give a **** about anything that he hasn't already gushed about it's this.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Am i mad? No, absolutely not. Quiet the opposite. Byleth looks cool and i love the reference to the "to many Swordfighters". I laughed.

However what im gonna do is stay away from Smashboards for the next few weeks. I don't need to look into the other discussions to know
how some people feel about this.

Besides: We now have confirmation for 6 new fighters.

Im looking forward to it.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Mhh. I don't dislike Byleth, but for Elma. . . sorry, but I just don't have any hope anymore. All our points in favour turned out to be nothing. Right now, the only thing we can really hope for is that we finally get an X port, or that there'll be some bonus X content in Definitive Edition.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I honestly accepted that Elma wasn’t going to be playable a long while ago. I’ve made peace with it, though I still have some hope left. Byleth is okay for me, considering I really wanted to see some FE3H music in Smash. At least they are a lot more than just another Marth. That helps me care more than I would otherwise.

As far as the next Fighter’s Pass goes, I’m gonna make some predictions! Also, CacoMallow Mii Costume leak is still alive, somehow. It’s probably real at this point.

Doomguy
Geno
Phoenix Wright (Dante maybe more likely, but I want Phoenix a lot)
Elma (pipe dream, I know!)
Waluigi
Sora

GolisoPower

Smash Master
On the plus side, everybody, 1st-party DLC fighters in Smash Ultimate isn't off the table anymore. Besides, we got 6 whole new slots to fill. That's a plus for us still!

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Not gonna lie, kind of upset at the fact that Fire Emblem got 2 new representatives with Chrom and Byleth, while Xenoblade got 3 songs and some spirits. For a series that Sakurai has stated that he liked, the representation doesn’t seem like it.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, kind of upset at the fact that Fire Emblem got 2 new representatives with Chrom and Byleth, while Xenoblade got 3 songs and some spirits. For a series that Sakurai has stated that he liked, the representation doesn’t seem like it.
Sakurai can pay lip service to Xenoblade as much as he wants but actions > words. Pretty obvious by now he doesn't particularly care.
Not here to mock you or anything, I like monolithsoft and their games in general. I'm just genuinely baffled that he would make his bias this obvious.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It will come soon. I’m sure of it. He apologized for Rex being a Mii Costume, which to me indicates there’s another Xenoblade character in the wings waiting to be revealed...

maybe two?? Fiora?? Chrom set a precedent for that... particular situation after all

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'd love to be wrong but I'm almost certain that we're not getting another Xeno rep until Smash 6.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sharing this here, my Season 2 Predictions (say uhhh anyone wanna post in the Octoling thread so I don't double post? Appreciate it)
My predictions, in no particular order:
FP2-1: Ryu Hayabusa. There’s a rumor that Byleth was originally gonna be in pass 2 but got expedited to pass 1 cause Hayabusa was leaked. Hayabusa is a common name among insiders while almost NO insiders knew of Byleth.

FP2-2: Neku Sakuraba. The The World Ends With You site went under a surprise maintenance lately. Last time this happened was before Final Remix’s release, and I doubt we’d see a sequel just yet. Nintendo’s Twitter accounts also heavily promoted Final Remix before its release. I also doubt Geno will make the jump from Mii Costume in 4 to playable in Ultimate via DLC. See KOS-MOS’s section for my reasoning.

FP2-3: Elma. First Spirit promotion. Rex was shown as a Mii Costume at the start of Pass 1 and apologized for him not being playable. It could be that ANOTHER Xenoblade character is planned, especially if Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition becomes a thing. Plus, Caitlin Glass’s NDA is STILL unknown. CRAZY STRAW GRASPING - also, Fiora was added to Shulk’s Chain Attack Final Smash despite Chain Attacks in 1 and 2 having only three party members. X, however, has four party members and Overdrive instead of Chain Attack but that’s not important so Fiora breaking the three members only rule may be a reference to X. Again this here is just a stretch but I can see it.

FP2-4: Octoling (Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion). Second Spirit promotion. At the start of the year, something new involving Splatoon 2 was teased months after Final Fest (the SAVE OUR SALMONS thing). Octo Expansion was a huge hit and Splatoon 2 is still played widely today even after Final Fest. A major Splatoon 2 update is also scheduled for April. And despite Rex being a costume, Spring Man an Assist Trophy and Officer Howard from Astral Chain an Event Spirit, Byleth proves there’s no such thing as “too new” for Smash. Octo Expansion came out in 2018, and Inklings can be used as a base for an easy Isabelle style semi-clone if not Echo.

FP2-5: KOS-MOS. She was deconfirmed for the fifth pass character, sure, but the second pass opens up an opportunity. And before you say Heihachi or Lloyd, it’s very unlikely a 4 Costume will be promoted to playable in DLC. So far that’s only happened in base with Inkling, Isabelle (who was also an AT in 4), Chrom, King K. Rool and I think I’m forgetting one more. Maybe not. But my point stands and while a Xenosaga HD Trilogy was deemed financially unfeasible, the interest is very much there. Plus, KOS-MOS appeared in Xenoblade 2 as a Blade alongside Shulk, Fiora and Elma; and in the Project X Zone series with Ryu and Ken (and in 2, Chrom, Lucina and Fiora).

FP2-6: Arle Nadja. Why DID the Puyo Puyo director retweet the 1/16 announcement when Byleth was revealed...? Arle wasn’t even a Mii costume. Unless... Arle will be in Pass 2. Arle was another big name among insiders, and since Lip from Panel de Pon couldn’t be added as playable, Arle may be the next best thing. Plus, Sega has been promoting Puyo Puyo like CRAZY as of late.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Speaking of the date by which the second pass is supposed to be finished, though - by that point, we might probably just have an announcement for the next mainline Xenoblade game, which might even be X2. It's honestly just a. . . weird thought.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I thought it was ridiculous before that Fire Emblem had more reps than Zelda, DK, Kirby, and Xenoblade but now it's a complete joke because fans of these franchises have been waiting for years to just get at least one character while Fire Emblem get's 2 to 3 reps per Smash game. Call me entitled if you wish, but I feel like Nintendo is screwing over some of their important franchises that need missing iconic reps and are ignoring them in favor of promotional characters for their new games specifically Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I thought it was ridiculous before that Fire Emblem had more reps than Zelda, DK, Kirby, and Xenoblade but now it's a complete joke because fans of these franchises have been waiting for years to just get at least one character while Fire Emblem get's 2 to 3 reps per Smash game. Call me entitled if you wish, but I feel like Nintendo is screwing over some of their important franchises that need missing iconic reps and are ignoring them in favor of promotional characters for their new games specifically Pokemon and Fire Emblem.
three houses is a good game. i like it.

i do not enjoy any other fire emblem game, or if i do its not to that extent.

i would not be happy as a xenoblade x fan if we got rex from xenoblade 2, whom i actively dislike.

please understand.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
three houses is a good game. i like it.
Listen, while I'm not much of a Fire Emblem fan, I'm not against the franchise either. I just don't like that it has so many more reps than Zelda, DK, Kirby, and Xenoblade. DK still doesn't have Dixie Kong, Kirby still doesn't have Bandana Dee, and Xenoblade still doesn't have a 2nd rep while Fire Emblem pretty much get's every protagonist from their games in. Those franchises deserves those characters to complete their main character lineup.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
tbh i feel like it's clear we aren't even getting rex- only his mii costume and if he were to be promoted it'd be next game

at this point our options are Lora (doubtful), Fiora (esp with Xenoblade DE on the horizon) and well... the obvious choice

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Does elma have a spirit in game?
Yes... but it has very... unique unlock conditions.

She will NOT appear on the Spirit board until you free 50 fighters in World of Light, which you get her as a reward for. And she doesn't appear in WoL itself either. literally ANYONE coulda been that reward. and there's a Xenoblade 2 spirit category but no X spirit category. Elma, Lin, Lao, Tatsu and the Skell are listed under vanilla Xenoblade Chronicles.

also they went out of their way to include Xenoblade 2 music, but not a single X track in the game...

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Yes... but it has very... unique unlock conditions.

She will NOT appear on the Spirit board until you free 50 fighters in World of Light, which you get her as a reward for. And she doesn't appear in WoL itself either. literally ANYONE coulda been that reward. and there's a Xenoblade 2 spirit category but no X spirit category. Elma, Lin, Lao, Tatsu and the Skell are listed under vanilla Xenoblade Chronicles.
Thank you! Never played world of light all the way through.

I’v been a supporter for elma since ultimates start. After today I think she’s got a clearer shot.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I like Elma but some of you guys need to lighten up a bit on the bias and realize she's in the same boat as Rex and Fiora.
Show me the X Mii costumes and music in Ultimate then.

If this is all that Xenoblade as a series is gonna get for the entirety of Ultimate's lifespan. . . I'm honestly not impressed.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Listen, while I'm not much of a Fire Emblem fan, I'm not against the franchise either. I just don't like that it has so many more reps than Zelda, DK, Kirby, and Xenoblade. DK still doesn't have Dixie Kong, Kirby still doesn't have Bandana Dee, and Xenoblade still doesn't have a 2nd rep while Fire Emblem pretty much get's every protagonist from their games in. Those franchises deserves those characters to complete their main character lineup.
Honestly, I think don't think it's healthy to think of Smash like this because Sakurai obviously doesn't. If you're going into Pass 2 with the idea that Sakurai should round out the roster with the nebulous goal of "representation" then, I'm sorry, but you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I think all of those series are overdue for new characters just as much as you do, but at the end of the day, that isn't Sakurai's intent with his work. He just wants to make a good fighting game with characters he imagines would be fun. We know he's thought about adding reps from those series, even if they ultimately didn't make it in the end. Yes, in my heart of hearts, I want another MonolithSoft character (preferably Elma or KOS-MOS, but I'd take Rex or even Lora) to rep my favorite series, but if Sakurai couldn't think of a way to make them a blast to play and really do them justice then I'd rather he didn't.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Show me the X Mii costumes and music in Ultimate then.

If this is all that Xenoblade as a series is gonna get for the entirety of Ultimate's lifespan. . . I'm honestly not impressed.
Trust me, I also think Xenoblade deserved a lot more content in Smash than what it got, especially XCX, but we're pretty far in the newcomer game at this point and all of the "evidence" pointing towards Elma's inclusion hasn't amounted to anything over a year since it was originally compiled...so why are we still assuming that she's likelier than Rex?

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer but I'm tired of people excluding Rex because he's a Mii costume while Elma was also disconfirmed by having a spirit.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Trust me, I also think Xenoblade deserved a lot more content in Smash than what it got, especially XCX, but we're pretty far in the newcomer game at this point and all of the "evidence" pointing towards Elma's inclusion hasn't amounted to anything over a year since it was originally compiled...so why are we still assuming that she's likelier than Rex?

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer but I'm tired of people excluding Rex because he's a Mii costume while Elma was also disconfirmed by having a spirit.
Never said she was more likely. Like I said above, at this point, I'm honestly doubtful that we're getting anything new for Xenoblade beyond what post game provided - and my pessmistic side says that Rex might still be coming after all, as much as I'd absolutely hate that.
Honestly, as of right now, I'm mostly hoping that Definitive Edition has some nice new crossover content like the Land of Challenge. Even hoping for an X port at this point seems pointless, considering that all the rumors for the two supposed unannounced seem to be mostly pointing towards Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World.

. . .Come to think of it, though, I do wonder if Definitive Edition is gonna get any specific Spirits.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Never said she was more likely. Like I said above, at this point, I'm honestly doubtful that we're getting anything new for Xenoblade beyond what post game provided - and my pessmistic side says that Rex might still be coming after all, as much as I'd absolutely hate that.
Honestly, as of right now, I'm mostly hoping that Definitive Edition has some nice new crossover content like the Land of Challenge. Even hoping for an X port at this point seems pointless, considering that all the rumors for the two supposed unannounced seem to be mostly pointing towards Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World.

. . .Come to think of it, though, I do wonder if Definitive Edition is gonna get any specific Spirits.
I think XCDE will have a crossover sort of thing, I think after Land of Challenges they'd want to make this a recurring thing, especially with how Elma in 2 got a bit more background to her (and maybe XCXDE will have something similar to tie it all together?).

In fact, calling it RIGHT NOW - Xenoblade 1 DE will release in like April or May, and come E3, wham bam thank you ma'am, THERE'S A XENOBLADE X DE ANNOUNCEMENT SET FOR A Q1 2021 RELEASE. AND ELMA IN SMASH WITH IT. after all wasn't vanilla X being developed around the same time as Xenoblade 3D?

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I think XCDE will have a crossover sort of thing, I think after Land of Challenges they'd want to make this a recurring thing, especially with how Elma in 2 got a bit more background to her (and maybe XCXDE will have something similar to tie it all together?).

In fact, calling it RIGHT NOW - Xenoblade 1 DE will release in like April or May, and come E3, wham bam thank you ma'am, THERE'S A XENOBLADE X DE ANNOUNCEMENT SET FOR A Q1 2021 RELEASE. AND ELMA IN SMASH WITH IT. after all wasn't vanilla X being developed around the same time as Xenoblade 3D?
I hope they keep this crossovers between the games, even if it's just as an easteregg. Like how the Tales of-Games have references to each other with
customes or older characters appearing as secret boss-characters. I love this kind of stuff.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I hope they keep this crossovers between the games, even if it's just as an easteregg. Like how the Tales of-Games have references to each other with
customes or older characters appearing as secret boss-characters. I love this kind of stuff.
Oh, imagine if they made armour pieces based off past (or rather, future?) Xenoblade characters for Definitive Edition. Like, say, Elma's outfit for the female characters.
. . .Though admittedly, out of Fiora, Sharla and Melia, none really fits her all that well.

I just hope that there's gonna be fashion gear.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Oh, imagine if they made armour pieces based off past (or rather, future?) Xenoblade characters for Definitive Edition. Like, say, Elma's outfit for the female characters.
. . .Though admittedly, out of Fiora, Sharla and Melia, none really fits her all that well.

I just hope that there's gonna be fashion gear.
Fiora with Elmas outfit...i want that...like right now.

Back when Xenoblade X was in development and they revealed the skells i was convinced that some of the Face Mechons like Metal Face or Face Nemesis would end up as special bonus skells you could unlock. It surprised me a bit, that this wasn't the case.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Fiora with Elmas outfit...i want that...like right now.

Back when Xenoblade X was in development and they revealed the skells i was convinced that some of the Face Mechons like Metal Face or Face Nemesis would end up as special bonus skells you could unlock. It surprised me a bit, that this wasn't the case.
Come to think of it, it should be perfectly doable to mess around with the character creator in X to get some decent lookalikes for Fiora, Melia and Sharla to see what it'd be like to have them wear the outfits of characters from X.
I like the idea of Melia with Celica's outfit.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Come to think of it, it should be perfectly doable to mess around with the character creator in X to get some decent lookalikes for Fiora, Melia and Sharla to see what it'd be like to have them wear the outfits of characters from X.
I like the idea of Melia with Celica's outfit.
Hope with Sharla's outfit. Cause they both have straight black hair and are the general "support" type character.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably going to stop posting here after this. It's just not worth it. Elma's a spirit and if there's any indication that Sakurai doesn't give a **** about anything that he hasn't already gushed about it's this.
Same here. I'm in the "spirits deconfirm" boat. The dream is dead.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Still rooting for Elma. To be completely honest, part of me was hoping she would be the fifth character. That said, though, I've no problem with Byleth making the cut--if anything, I was expecting him sooner or later.

Xenoblade Chronicles X was hands down mine favourite Wii U game, along with The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 1&2. That said, as usual, I'm hoping for a Switch port. I wonder if, like Xenoblade 1, Xenoblade X had deleted maps that might be included in the port.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Still rooting for Elma. To be completely honest, part of me was hoping she would be the fifth character. That said, though, I've no problem with Byleth making the cut--if anything, I was expecting him sooner or later.

Xenoblade Chronicles X was hands down mine favourite Wii U game, along with The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 1&2. That said, as usual, I'm hoping for a Switch port. I wonder if, like Xenoblade 1, Xenoblade X had deleted maps that might be included in the port.
if freakin TOKYO MIRAGE SESSIONS (which wasn't exactly a financial hit and a bit of a base breaker too) got an enhanced port, X sure as heck can get one

(are you on the list already or would you like me to add you?)

Top Bottom