• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Actually I just thought about how Sakurai said Nintendo made the decision for DLC (and he decided if they were possible), but something about leaving it to Nintendo seems bad for Elma's chances.
That's just made me sad.
Thinking about it...maybe Nintendo calling the shots is based on what characters the companies they own want? Like they could ask GameFreak, Intelligent Studios, Camelot, Retro Studios, and most importantly Monolith Soft, what they’d want, and wing it from there.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
What's the thread consensus on Elma's chances as one of the DLC characters? Looking pretty good if we take into consideration the 'no X music yet', no?
Actually I just thought about how Sakurai said Nintendo made the decision for DLC (and he decided if they were possible), but something about leaving it to Nintendo seems bad for Elma's chances.
That's just made me sad.
I'm actually not too pessimistic about this. I've talked about this again and again, but the wording in that one Takahashi interview was way too vague to deconfirm an X port being in the works. Therefore, Elma could still be used to advertise that.
But beyond that, I feel like she also has a greater long-lasting staying power for the Xenoblade series as a whole. What I mean is, based on the various Monolith Soft developers have said, it seems likely that Xenoblade as a series will continue having its numbered entries like 1 and 2, while having X as a parallel series to that. Elma would then be quite similar to Shulk, the protagonist of the first of these games.
Even beyond that, Nintendo/Monolith Soft does seem to be pushing Elma quite a bit - as much as you can with a character from a series like RPG, that is. The way her appearance was handled as DLC in 2 can attest to that. And remember what other character with a noticable push behind them made it in? Ga Jiarg's Poké-Wrestler-sona Incineroar.
And of course, there's still the ever-glaring omission of X content.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
If Nintendo is making the decisions, I could potentially see Elma's chances boosted a little bit. Why? Because this is the same Nintendo that decided to make an actual trailer for Elma's DLC reveal. Sure, it could be nothing, but I think it boosts her chances a little bit.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So GameXplain just released a video were they identified almost all the Spirits we have seen so far:

Not only Elma isn't a Spirit as far as we know, but also the only XCX one is a generic Formula SKELL, so not even big characters like Lin or Tatsu have been shown as Spirits.
This is very interesting due to the recent rumors about some Spirits being released for free post launch. If Elma is really one of the 5 DLC fighters then they might also release the XCX cast as Spirits alongside her.

This added to the lack of XCX songs makes me really hopeful for our Colonel TBH.

Last edited:

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Well then, here's my take on this: Vergeben (I seriously will never be fine with just shortening that word to just Verge, that's not how it works in German) vouching for Hitagi alone is not enough to me. Unless one of Hitagi's DLC leaks comes true, I'm not believing any of them. I just feel like trying to leak DLC characters might be a whole different story from base game stuff.
I'm also leery of Hitagi. He has a good track record for other games, but his recent misinterpretation of his sources--him saying Katalina was being talked for DLC when the discussions actually had nothing to do with Smash--has me in a "wait and see" stance towards him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm also leery of Hitagi. He has a good track record for other games, but his recent misinterpretation of his sources--him saying Katalina was being talked for DLC when the discussions actually had nothing to do with Smash--has me in a "wait and see" stance towards him.
Especially given that the last time it was claimed there wouldn't be any DK reps, the miracle happened. :ultkrool:

Also, has anyone gotten Hitagi's gender right? I constantly see them being referred to as "he" and "she".

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Do you have a source for this?

Just want to make sure.
Here's what Hitagi said:
"I.e. professor layton, banjo, xenoblade characters, and a few others are all characters i will just say are all characters I haven't heard from my sources."

He has also alluded to not knowing all the characters yet, especially after what happened with his claim about Katalina being in discussions for DLC.

Also, I have no idea what his gender is, but from experience, I've learned when it's vague, it's safer to assume it's a he until told otherwise. Lol

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Be careful about the lack of X musics. Maybe they are juste unlockable by buying them in shop or winning them by completing challenges. If you want my opinion, its probably to early to affirm there is no X content except the skell spirit. On the other side I'm really happy she doesn't have any spirit because it increases her chances to become a fighter. I just can't imagine Nintendo let her on the side when she got a badass trailer for her inclusion in XC2. If after the launch of the game we found that there is clearly no X tracks in the game, then I think her chances will be super high.

For now I'm positive about her futur as a fighter, but I'm also realistic: she has a lot of rivals outside (first and third party).

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Well, we don't know if spirits completely deconfirm characters, but at least we may finally have a pseudo deconfim. Tough it took this long, but hey, at least she made it in somehow and is an Ace spirit from the looks of it. At least Elma's name became way more prominent through out the cycle, even cracking top 20 on a lot of fan made polls. She will always be our colonel and there's always next time <3
it's been fun

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
I'm not throwing in the towel until it's been confirmed spirits deconfirm DLC characters.

Spirits are replacing trophies, and characters such as Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in Smash 4 before being made DLC.

And it's likely spirits were decided on before DLC characters, so I'm not surprised she has a spirit or that other potential DLC characters might end up with spirits before being announced.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
*Sigh*
Well then, all aboard the "Spirits can be DLC characters" train. Let's just remember that Mewtwo and Lucas still had trophies prior to returning. And so long as we still have no music, there's definitely still hope.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I'm not throwing the towel too (its not the attitude of a Blade member) but it is not a good sign.

On the other side some actual fighters have spirits (king K Rool, Daisy, WFT, Kirby...) but these are differents versions of the character (kaptain K Rool, kirby robot machine, etc) and I think they don't have any effects. So maybe this spirit is an alternative version on Elma since she could have her XC2 design but its hard to tell right now.

Last edited:

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
I can understand the concern. It might be true spirits DO deconfirm DLC characters, but I'd rather wait and find out.

I'd be more concerned if X tracks were found because the DLC characters are bringing music and a stage with them. If X tracks are already in the game, that's another story.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to throw in the towel, but i think my viewpoint has changed to that I;m not expecting Elma, and she would be a lovely and welcomed surprise. I am pretty sad tho. She was the first character I ever fully supported for Smash and actually wanted in Smash before hand. So I will keep on supporting her, xenoblade, and definetly Xenoblade X. There is always a next time!

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
Today is a bad and sad day....
What people forgets when they talked about mewtwo and lucas is that they were already payable in another smash game so it was more easy to create them for dlc.
I still believe spirits deconfirm characters, but secretly hoping I'm wrong
But still a supporter !!!!!

Did someone found a bandana waddle dee spirit ? If so dlc will be impredictible and that's a good point.
But I'm hoping for the least amount of 3rd parties possible.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
What people forgets when they talked about mewtwo and lucas is that they were already payable in another smash game so it was more easy to create them for dlc.
The only thing Mewtwo and Lucas having trophies beforehand tells me is that trophies were decided upon before DLC characters were chosen.

How easily or quickly those characters could be made is unrelated to that.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
There is a Banda Dee spirit. In the same video at 6:19 you can see him under Villager icon

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
And with almost every Nintendo character likely to be a spirit, does that mean every Nintendo character is deconfirmed for DLC?

That's why I'm skeptical until we have more evidence.

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
Clearly that's the only true thing that we can extract by this.
But by speculation you can find other thing.

Alot of people are like trophys didn't deconfirm character look at mewtwo and lucas, but they are all forgetting another major point, they were playable before so all the game design for this characters was already created before.
I think the "true" argument should be : if it was playable, then a trophy don't deconfirm this character.

Elma with the jeanne alt of bayonetta makes a lot of sense. Nice one sakurai and your team.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
And with almost every Nintendo character likely to be a spirit, does that mean every Nintendo character is deconfirmed for DLC?

Maybe DLC will be mostly third parties or promotional first parties like Fire emblem Three houses avatar or anything else

Mistaros

Smash Cadet

Like I said I hope I'm wrong.
But if it means more 3rd parties, I'll hate myself^^

Under the villager icon, he is the spirit of villager in this fight.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well either this confirms only 3rd party will be DLC, or spirits are like Lucas and Mewtwo trophies, because lets be honest at this point all high profile characters that weren't Ridley and K.rool were deconfirmed if we follow this theory and then I ask myself the question, what can they even do for first party characters as DLC then.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Well either this confirms only 3rd party will be DLC, or spirits are like Lucas and Mewtwo trophies, because lets be honest at this point all high profile characters that weren't Ridley and K.rool were deconfirmed if we follow this theory and then I ask myself the question, what can they even do for first party characters as DLC then.
Fire Emblem Three Houses avatar
Pokémon 8 Gen starter
Metroid Prime 4 character

But like I said, we don't know when the DLC have been decided by Nintendo.

Shenryu64

Smash Rookie

Well then, does anyone here speak Spanish and know what the conditions for this battle are?

Edit: Smashboards being stupid, so I'm linking this here.
My english isn't very nice but I'll try to translate this:

-The enemy will be invencible sometimes. (Ghost Factory reference)
-The weapons like swords will do more damage.
-The enemy will be equiped with a killing edge.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, being confirmed as a spirit is kinda ehh but it's far from a deconfirmation.
Can't really see where they're going with DLC if they decide not to add Elma (or any other XBC reps in general).

Nvm, Maple's post reminds me of possible first party additions.

Since we're gonna be waiting until 2020 for the all the DLC to drop, I'm assuming if Elma's included she'll be one of the first to be revealed, leaving big 3rd parties for the end.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Like Luviant said, We will know better when we will have access to the game cause we will see if there are X musics tracks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom