• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My predictions assuming 6 more base reveals and a DLC button on the roster:

Unique:
69: Elma
70: Incineroar
71: Mystery Square Enix Rep (hoping for Neku)
72: Waddle Dee

Echoes:
60e: Ken
11e: Black Shadow

DLC Uniques:
ARMS character
Rex & Pyra
Dragalia Lost protag
Shantae
Isaac
Chorus Kids
Lloyd Irving
(Maybe) Lora and Jin? Will probably be in a much later DLC season tho

DLC Echoes:
Octoling
Zack Fair (Square will probably want a cut of DLC money so they may easily do with echoes)
Shadow (see above but with Sega)
Dixie Kong
Impa
Celica

Maybe we’ll have seasons of DLC?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm also gonna throw in my (admittedly biased) predictions. Just gonna assume 6 characters for the base roster because that's what I think we'll get if the box theory is bunk because if it isn't there's no reason to speculate anyway, and 6 characters is what we'd get if the blog theory is true up until the final week (which will probably be a countdown of sorts), with one 4 character trailer week somewhere down the line to make up for the lost post from the direct delay.

Uniques:
Incineroar
Square rep, probably someone from Dragon Quest like Eight if I had to choose
Steve
Elma
Shadow, but he's even less of a semi-clone than Isabelle and is just barely not an echo

Echoes:
Ken

This is kind of an amalgamation of the box, blog, and music theories, plus Vergeben because he's been right about everything Smash so far. Verge's 4 hopefuls are pretty self-explanatory, although Steve isn't a lock like the other 3. Elma has the music theory, Sawano's remix, the project plan date, and the mech rifle backing her. A unique Shadow is kind of an odd pick but I think it's very possible because even if the box theory isn't entirely true, the fact is that there is a skipped over spot that is almost certainly for Ken, but not for any other potential echoes. I think this means Ken is the last echo and the lack of more remaining unique newcomer spots can be explained away by the graphic art designers enlarging the displayed fighters as to make the box have less blank space and to not give away the number of fighters left. Aside from everything else going for him, a unique Shadow is also currently backed by the music theory, kind of like how everyone thought Isabelle would be an echo but she was actually a semi with her own music on the blog.

5 unique newcomers is kind of a lot to be revealed in the final two months though, so I'm not entirely sure if this is the way to go. Shadow would kind of be treated like an echo though so who knows? Maybe we'll get an Incineroar + Ken duking it out in Alola's Battle Royal Dome in a dual reveal on the site a la Robin and Lucina in October, and the other 3 uniques + Shadow in a November Direct, with Sakurai saying Shadow started off as an echo, but a few drastically different moves changed up the character enough to warrant his own roster slot.

And just for fun, here's another look at my biased predictions, this time for DLC:

Rex & Pyra
Spring Man + Ribbon Girl echo bundle, but hopefully they do season passes anyway
Edelgard
Banjo & Kazooie
Isaac
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong semi clone
Octoling echo/semi maybe? Still unsure about them because I think they'd make a better costume but they're popular enough to be their own fighter.

Edit: Music theory just got killed, so some of the points regarding Shadow and Elma don't work anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tonight we’re getting a music track. Let’s hope the music theory continues to work in Elma’s favor

Though admittedly, I don’t really put stock in any big theory anymore. Whatever happens, happens.

Lol just imagine if it’s a Pokémon track though and we still get Incineroar...or if a series that has a track already gets another...

ZelDan

Smash Master
My personal wish list while considering Vergeben and not going too overboard with the character amount:

UNIQUE NEWCOMERS:

1. Isaac
  2. Geno
  3. Elma
  4. Incineroar
ECHO CHARACTER:
  1. Felix for Isaac
  2. Impa for Sheik
  3. Dixie Kong for Diddy Kong, and she gets DK's recovery and spins her hair during it
  4. Ken for Ryu

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Tonight we’re getting a music track. Let’s hope the music theory continues to work in Elma’s favor

Though admittedly, I don’t really put stock in any big theory anymore. Whatever happens, happens.

Lol just imagine if it’s a Pokémon track though and we still get Incineroar...or if a series that has a track already gets another...
That would shake everything up. Honestly I kinda want that now, just to shake this speculation season which became stale quite too soon. After evry single reveal people assume who the remaining fighters will be just to have those expectation being destroyed with the next reveal lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
DUDE

HOLY ****

I CALLED THAT ****

I CALLED THAT SPECIFICALLY, TONIGHT, WE’D GET A POKÉMON TRACK

Watch as Incineroar still happens, I guess music theory is now BTFO’d

Though I still maintain they’re gonna save all Xenoblade content on the blog, even Shulk,for after Elma is revealed

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
DUDE

HOLY ****

I CALLED THAT ****

I CALLED THAT SPECIFICALLY, TONIGHT, WE’D GET A POKÉMON TRACK

Watch as Incineroar still happens, I guess music theory is now BTFO’d

Though I still maintain they’re gonna save all Xenoblade content on the blog, even Shulk,for after Elma is revealed
If by some chance we DO get a Xenoblade remix before Elma's reveal, it'll very likely be from the first game. That said, I also don't expect ANY Xenoblade content (aside from maybe a post about Shulk) until she's announced.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
As easy as it is to doubt the Music Theory, I'm willing to take one for the team as a Pokemon fan to support it if it means that leaks with Incineroar are wrong and Elma's chances have just shot up. All-in-all, a decent day to support Elma.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
To be fair, this remix is from 3rd gen, and Incineroar originated in Gen 7. If anything this decomfirms Gardevoir or any other Pokemon from Hoenn. We still haven't gotten a blog post about the Sun and Moon Trainer Battle theme that's confirmed (by Gamexplain) to appear in the game. So, I think that it's still possible for the music theory and Vergeben to coexist. Especially if Incineroar's music is the battle theme.

Either way, this does give us something interesting to talk about.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Of course there are people taking Incineroar over the music theory.

Not that they are necessarily wrong and by all means, the music theory could be bunk and we are getting Incineroar or some other Pokemon rep. It just amuses me that there are people out there always looking for the worst possible outcome in Smash speculation.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
A Pokemon Gen 7 battle theme would require them to put up two music pieces for a franchise, which hasn't been done yet, but who knows?

That said, I'd love for it to be a subtle hint at Sceptile being an echo to Greninja, since echo fighters don't seem to factor into the music theory (Dark Samus and the possible Ken). Sceptile could easily reskin most of Greninja's moveset and be completely faithful (Shadow Sneak is the one issue though)...

Honestly, I'd rather have this post wind up being true than us getting a Gen VII Pokemon- sure, I'm a big fan of Decidueye and Lycanroc, but I'll admit that Sceptile is way more beloved than them and any Gen VII pick at this point (RIP Mimikyu).

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
While there goes the music theory and given how so many had Geno on there rosters they likely did not buy it anyway. Here are my guesses for DLC and my wishlist for it.

Guesses
Rex
Spring Man
Octoling as Inkling's echo fighter
Edelgard
The Gen 8 Grass Starter
Erdrick
Monster Hunter

Wishlist
DLC bundle 1
Rex
Malos as Shulk's echo fighter
Waluigi to please his fans
Erdrick

DLC bundle 2
Spring Man
Ribbon Girl as Spring Man's echo fighter
Ashley
Monster Hunter

DLC bundle 3
Edelgard
Octoling as Inkling's echo fighter
Bomberman/ Shovel Knight
Heihachi

DLC bundle 4
A Gen 8 Pokemon
2 popular newcomer requests who did not make it into the base game
Crash

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
My personal take about the new song and the Music Theory.

I don't belive it's completely busted, but it needs to be revisited or given a second thought.

Now what does this tells us?
The options are two:

1) Music Theory was just a big fat coincidence. It is a possibility, although strage when you remember than it worked perfectly until now and they have delayed the AC remix for Isabelle.

2) Maybe we have to consider one thing: music is uploaded once a week, and they are clearly trying to add a remix for each series (but since not all have one they also added some random pieces like Snipperclips and Galaga). If we think about the possibility that in the final Direct they reveal more characters than weeks left, then they wouldn't have been able to add music for everyone before release, so they are adding music from that series before the character, but in order to not give it away they use music unrelated to it. This is interesting to think because it leaves the door open for characters such as Bandana Dee or Geno, because just like how this music is from Gen 3 while Incineroar is from Gen 7, neighter of the themes for Kirby and Mario are associated with those characters.

About Elma, nothing is changed, and at this point they could even release a remix of the first game next week and it wouldn't matter. The only real thing that might be a red flag for her is having anything related to Xenoblade X revealed wothout her, being it a stage, AT, music etc etc.
Because that is the most strong thing going for us: XCX was an enourmous and important title for Nintendo during the Wii U era, so it is near impossible that there is not going to be any content from it in Smash, and the fact that they have not revealed anything about it might be because they are tied with Elma as a newcomer.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Music theory or not, I still think we have a chance until any sort of Xenoblade content is posted on the site.

link2702

Smash Champion
So I’ve been playing x again lately (taking a break from torna) and finally got my skell after not touching the game in forever....

I’ve also spoiled the ending of x reading up on it since I’m not too concerned about spoilers like that (it just makes me want to see it happen in game more) and I started to wonder...are there any theories on how x ties into the other two games at all? I know the creator of the xeno series as a whole loves leaving tidbits and Easter eggs in the games that could all tie em up, so I’m just wondering if that’s true for x as well?

Sorry for such a outta the blue question, but I figured the elma boards of all places would surely have some interesting theories on if or how things tie together.

Staarih

Smash Master
Not sure where the music theory stands as of now, but I feel like as long as we don't get any Xenoblade X music before Elma, it's still all good (...not that it wouldn't otherwise, but if we're playing along with the music theory). So don't be alarmed if we do get Xenoblade music before her, as long as it's from the first game (much like this Pokémon tune was from the 3rd/6th gen (counting remakes) instead of the 7th gen... so far).

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
So I’ve been playing x again lately (taking a break from torna) and finally got my skell after not touching the game in forever....

I’ve also spoiled the ending of x reading up on it since I’m not too concerned about spoilers like that (it just makes me want to see it happen in game more) and I started to wonder...are there any theories on how x ties into the other two games at all? I know the creator of the xeno series as a whole loves leaving tidbits and Easter eggs in the games that could all tie em up, so I’m just wondering if that’s true for x as well?

Sorry for such a outta the blue question, but I figured the elma boards of all places would surely have some interesting theories on if or how things tie together.
Yep, there are little fun Easter eggs every now and then relating back to the first game, between some character names, Monado imagery, and a few enemies. That said, they're currently nothing more than Easter eggs rather than any pure connection. X appears to be its own Xenoblade side series, so while it has references to XC1 and XC2, it appears to take place in a different universe. There are theories about the two universes being connected, but at the moment, they're just that, theories.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So since the music theory is a talking point right now, I'll just put this out there: I for one am more willing to believe it than I'm willing to believe Vergeben. Remember when the Gematsu leak was a big thing in Smash 4, and everyone treated it as the absolute truth? Because I do.

Other than that however, I guess it's my turn to share a Smash-related dream I just had.
In that dream, it was the middle of a Smash reveal (obviously), and the character first shown off was. . . Rex, ironically enough, given my opinion of the guy. Pyra, Mythra or any other Blade was however nowhere in sight, and he wasn't even using any weapon that he canonically ever used. Except, Rex had the Monado as his weapon, but didn't have any Monado arts, and seemingly couldn't even activate the Monado, so that he just swung it arround like a normal sword. After that, there was a reveal for an Echo Fighter for Shulk. But no, it wasn't any Xenoblade character as an Echo, but rather the player character from Fire Emblem Heroes, the summoner, which again is pretty odd, since even though I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem, I haven't played Heroes even once. The summoner definitely had the Monado Arts and all, but no visible weapon on them, and instead had a bunch of white wings or swords floating behind them, that changed colour depending on the art active. Other than that, the only thing I remember about them is that their walking animation was them floating around.
After that however, I finally got to an actual good bit, since Elma was finally shown off. I don't remember anything from that dream about her playstyle, but that reveal was coupled with a sequel (or very enhanced port) of X being shown off, that also changed the art style to be a lot more colourful, kinda like how Elma appeared in 2.
So. . . yeah, a bunch of nonsense, as dreams tend to be. But at least one out of those three things is something I actually want.

Well, in X itself, there's nothing that outright connects it to the original game, other than some throwaway lines from Tatsu about the "legendary Frontier Village" and calling the humans "Hom-Homs" at one point. In 2, there's of course the entire Challenge Mode, which connects all three games with the Nopon arch sage's god powers, but nothing too canonical. Depending on how you interpret things, though, the endgame reveals of 2 could be used to come up with a theoretical connection between X, the original and 2.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
So since the music theory is a talking point right now, I'll just put this out there: I for one am more willing to believe it than I'm willing to believe Vergeben. Remember when the Gematsu leak was a big thing in Smash 4, and everyone treated it as the absolute truth? Because I do.
I still believe Vergeben, but I think a mistake is possible. My initial theory was that he knew it wasn't Decidueye Lycanroc and Mimikyu because they're all pokeball Pokemon, but he just assumed that it was Incineroar instead. Then I put that aside when he confirmed the Pokemon was Incineroar. Now I'm not so sure.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Now Sakurai’s saying he may have jumped the gun with the amount of reveals and we’ll get a slower reveal rate...

Maybe Incineroar AND Ken are the final reveals before say, a Test Smash...if that’s the case maybe Elma could be a free update along with Waddle Dee and any remaining echoes and the rest will be DLC... either way I don’t think she’ll be in any upcoming directs before December...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Now Sakurai’s saying he may have jumped the gun with the amount of reveals and we’ll get a slower reveal rate...

Maybe Incineroar AND Ken are the final reveals before say, a Test Smash...if that’s the case maybe Elma could be a free update along with Waddle Dee and any remaining echoes and the rest will be DLC... either way I don’t think she’ll be in any upcoming directs before December...
Slowing down might also refer to taking a slower pace. We got basically 6 characters revealed in less than a month (if Isabelle wasn't delayed), so maybe them going at like a slower pace might mean we will see more single reveals like Isabelle rather than huge packs like in the Direct.
I don't think it means much about actual characters being few, but let's wait for the actual column since the summary tends to be misleading sometimes (like people confusing the development team with the stages).

EDIT: As i thought, he is referring to slowing the pace of reveals. Of course he has, there is no way that he could do 6 characters a month before release!
So now I'm expecting a single reveal in October (maybe an echo) and all that's left in a November Direct.

Last edited:

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Slowing down might also refer to taking a slower pace. We got basically 6 characters revealed in less than a month (if Isabelle wasn't delayed), so maybe them going at like a slower pace might mean we will see more single reveals like Isabelle rather than huge packs like in the Direct.
I don't think it means much about actual characters being few, but let's wait for the actual column since the summary tends to be misleading sometimes (like people confusing the development team with the stages).

EDIT: As i thought, he is referring to slowing the pace of reveals. Of course he has, there is no way that he could do 6 characters a month before release!
So now I'm expecting a single reveal in October (maybe an echo) and all that's left in a November Direct.
Makes me wonder if Incineroar is in, could he possibly be revealed during a Pokemon Direct, which will likely happen in October or November with the Pokemon Let's Go games releasing in the latter month?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Makes me wonder if Incineroar is in, could he possibly be revealed during a Pokemon Direct, which will likely happen in October or November with the Pokemon Let's Go games releasing in the latter month?
I highly doubt that they would reveal any newcomers outside of regular Nintendo directs or dedicated Smash directs.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
I highly doubt that they would reveal any newcomers outside of regular Nintendo directs or dedicated Smash directs.
Though does seem curious Sakurai has held Incineroar (assuming he's in) this late and so close to the release of new pokemon games and a probable Pokemon Direct. I think it's possible.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Though does seem curious Sakurai has held Incineroar (assuming he's in) this late and so close to the release of new pokemon games and a probable Pokemon Direct. I think it's possible.
The problem being: LGPE only has Gen 1 Pokemon and a Smash reveal would overshadow anything about LGPE.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's how I think the reveals are gonna go.

Minecon: Steve(69) is revealed and final Smash Direct is confirmed
October: Lucina/Robin style trailer reveals Incineroar(69) and Ken(60e)
November: Final Smash Direct reveals Elma(71), Geno(72), Dixie Kong(36e), Shadow(38e) and Medusa(54e) as the final characters.

or

Minecon: Next and final Smash Direct is confirmed (Semi confirms Steve)
November: Final Smash Direct reveals Steve(70), Elma(71), Geno(72), Dixie Kong(36e), Shadow(38e) and Medusa(54e) as the final characters.

or

October: Triple reveal of Incineroar(69), Steve(70) and Ken(60e)
November: Final Smash Direct reveals Elma(71), Geno(72), Dixie Kong(36e), Shadow(38e) and Medusa(54e) as the final characters.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

or

November: Final Smash Direct reveals Steve(70), Elma(71), Geno(72), Dixie Kong(36e), Shadow(38e) and Medusa(54e) as the final characters.

or

While I don't see anything happening at Minecon I would gladly take any of these (or really any outcome) as long as Elma is in!

I'm not too sure, especially since a Pokémon Direct would be focused on Let's Go rather than Gen VII. I could see them holding Incineroar for the final Direct, which will probably be after Let's Go is out.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
The problem being: LGPE only has Gen 1 Pokemon and a Smash reveal would overshadow anything about LGPE.
Pokemon Directs often cover all things Pokemon, so Incineroar wouldn't be out of place in one unless LGPE is the only games shown (which is possible).

You're right that an Incineroar trailer could overshadow things, but with the timing, can't help but wonder if the Direct would start off by getting him out the way and focus heavily on Go and LGPE and possible new Pokemon titles/info.

Kinda hoping this happens. Rather not have Incineroar capping the final Smash direct lol.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
As for my predictions on the final roster, I think that we can expect 2 more echoes and 2-3 more newcomers.

Echoes:
Ken
Shadow

Newcomers:
Incineroar
Elma
Geno or Waddle Dee

I think that if we get these, we'll potentially get a Robin/Lucina style trailer in mid-October with both Incineroar and Ken, as they're both fighters in their respective games. Then, we can get a final Smash direct in November with Elma, Geno, and Shadow.

As for getting less reveals as time goes on, let's look at the character reveal timescale so far.

March 8, 2018: Inkling

June 12, 2018: Daisy Ridley Daisy and Ridley

August 8, 2018: Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool

September 13, 2018: Isabelle

Over the course of a month, we got six characters. So, anything less would technically be "slowing the pace". I still think that based on what we know, we'd get more characters in a Smash-centered direct. Having three more unique character reveals over the course of two months after the four we got in one month would make sense to me personally. As for echoes, they don't really count, in my opinion.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

or

or

I highly doubt that anything will be revealed at Minecon.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Yeah, Incineroar would be odd, since Gen VII is in the middle of fading out right now and would detract from the Gen I nostalgia that is LGPE. Maybe we're not getting a Pokemon, since PT and Mewtwo were good enough reps that weren't in Smash 4's base roster and both rep Gen I...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As for my predictions on the final roster, I think that we can expect 2 more echoes and 2-3 more newcomers.

Echoes:
Ken
Shadow

Newcomers:
Incineroar
Elma
Geno or Waddle Dee

I think that if we get these, we'll potentially get a Robin/Lucina style trailer in mid-October with both Incineroar and Ken, as they're both fighters in their respective games. Then, we can get a final Smash direct in November with Elma, Geno, and Shadow.

As for getting less reveals as time goes on, let's look at the character reveal timescale so far.

March 8, 2018: Inkling

June 12, 2018: Daisy Ridley Daisy and Ridley

August 8, 2018: Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool

September 13, 2018: Isabelle

Over the course of a month, we got six characters. So, anything less would technically be "slowing the pace". I still think that based on what we know, we'd get more characters in a Smash-centered direct. Having three more unique character reveals over the course of two months after the four we got in one month would make sense to me personally. As for echoes, they don't really count, in my opinion.
Idk why but I think Shadow may be a DLC echo since Sega will probably want an additional cut for DLC

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I always thought Elma was such a cool looking character when I first saw her in Xenoblade Chronicles X, though I didn’t get far in the game itself yet, I’ll support her being in. :)

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Gamexplain brought in some guys that have been researching the blog posts in great depth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKn0Rq74oKk

They're saying it's likely we're getting 6-8 more characters.

If this "Blog Theory" is true, I'm even more optimistic about Elma making the base roster. :cool:

Last edited:

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Really, really loved XBCX, I wanted her to be the real official MC by the end of the game but still, I hope she gets to smash!!

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Really, really loved XBCX, I wanted her to be the real official MC by the end of the game but still, I hope she gets to smash!!
In any story, the main character is the most important.

Take Cross out the narrative, not much changes. Take Elma out, we'd get an entirely different story.

Glad you're an Elma supporter! :)

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Prediction wise I'm not sure what to think.
All I believe is that we have 3 unique and 4 Echoes left (making a total of 8 unique and 8 echoes). And that Shadow and Ken are 95% guaranteed to me (hell I'd say Shadow is 99%)

Not sure I buy Vergeben, I'm afraid he's about to become Gematsu 2, idk why. If he didn't exist, I wouldn't ever have even seriously considered Incineroar to be in Smash. If it wasn't to be Mimikyu or Decidueye, my bet has always been Zeraora, bc of the timing of the movie and all that

Elma-wise, as people stated before, people are highly underestimating her chances

Top Bottom