• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eleven

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
This is my 1,000th post and BHLMRO told me to make it epic. Well...this isn't exactly epic but it's something I made up a long time ago and finally decided to share on smashboards.

This is a game called Eleven, to be played with Smash 64, Melee, Project: M.....or if you have a ton of free time, Brawl. I've showed this to a few smashers over the years like Hyuga, Mr. Ganondorf, Tipdawg, and ShadowCloud (mostly old school central cali players) and they all liked it. It requires the game of your choice, a pen and paper, two dice, and two smash players that like to play as more than one character (or want to get better with more than one character).

I'm going to use Melee as the example since this is the game I prefer.

Basically each player picks the eleven characters they're best with (or want to use).

Example: Zivs Team: Marth, Fox, Falco, Falcon, Samus, Doc, Ness, Peach, Mario, Sheik, Ganon.
Tipdawgs Team: Fox, Falco, Falcon, Marth, Mario, Yoshi, Ganon, Sheik, Puff, Roy, ICs.

Write these down. Now, proceed to number the characters between 2 and 12. These are numbers that will be represented by dice rolls. No more than one character can represent a number. Example, you can't have Marth and Fox both be 7. There is some strategy to numbering your characters also, based on probabilities of certain dice rolls. For example, if you're a player who likes to save your best characters for last, you might number them 2, 12, 3, ect. However, if you want to use your best characters more often (thus increasing chances of winning quickly) you can number your best characters to coordinate with common dice rolls, like 7 or 8.

Ok so after you number your characters, each player rolls. For example I roll a 5 and have to use Doc. Tipdawg rolls an 8 and uses Fox. The match ensues. We usually play regular tournament rules, 4 stock, no items, 8 minutes, random neutral stages. Sometimes we'll throw a couple of extra stages on that we feel we could use practice on. Anyways, say Tipdawg wins. It doesn't matter what percentage or amount of stocks remaining. After the match, I cross Doc off my list, and give his number to a different character. Example, I had my Falcon as number 9, and with my number 5 doc gone, I want to give that number to Falcon. So now Falcon is represented by both 5 and 9, thus increasing the chances of rolling him even more so.

The game continues on until one player has lost all their characters and is declared the loser.

It's a lot of fun so go try it out and post up on here and tell me what you think! It does take a fair amount of time though to complete one game but if you like to experience different matchups and practice with a lot of different characters, you'll like it.

Beat!

Smash Master
This sounds a little like the 12 character battle Isai and Superboomfan did for Smash 64. Same principle, at least.

gghhh3

Smash Apprentice
This sounds a little like the 12 character battle Isai and Superboomfan did for Smash 64. Same principle, at least.
It is very similar. Just they did it crews-like. Where you would keep the amount of stock with each char.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
It's quicker than you might think. The longest it could take is the same as playing 21 matches. The shortest is 11. Probably too long to run a tournament for, but if you're just doing friendlies, you can do 21 matches in less than an hour.

IYM!

Smash Lord
It's quicker than you might think. The longest it could take is the same as playing 21 matches. The shortest is 11. Probably too long to run a tournament for, but if you're just doing friendlies, you can do 21 matches in less than an hour.
Truth, in friendlies this is viable and fun, i did something similar with my friends.

maybe if we reduce the number of characters, to 5, 6 or 7, for example, this would be factible in a tournament.

realy good idea man, i will test it

Sim

Smash Apprentice
Reducing the number from 11 down to, say, 3-7 could make this a tournament-friendly setup.

Hmmm. Really good idea by the way!

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I like it, kind of like an improved around-the-world

what if I have a 25-sided die?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I like it, kind of like an improved around-the-world

what if I have a 25-sided die?
Lol 25 sided die would be fun and the game would last forever. The beginning strategy of numbering high probability rolls would disappear, but you'd still have the strategy of giving numbers to characters you want to use more after some die.

Esper

Smash Cadet
I had a similar idea as a fun-moneymatch just with 6 characters and one die. (stages random or loser's choice)

I like the idea of prioritizing characters over others, tho.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Uh, why don't you do what people have been doing for Smash 64 12 character battles?:

It's like crews. So you suicide until you have the amount of stocks you had on your character last. You can change characters if the loser changes the stage.

With your way, what if one player's best character one-stocks every single of the other character's? Then he wins with 11 characters left. It's kind of silly if that happens. It also depends too much on luck.

12 character battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5a48PsNuA

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
That sounds like lots of fun too and I'll most likely be trying that.

If the players are uneven, you can always stipulate a handycap, like HungryBox can't use Puff. When I play with my friends that aren't as good I'll use less mains and throw out more characters I'm less familiar with.

The main benefit of my game is that you get put into situations where you are Mario vs Pikachu, or Puff vs Zelda. Basically matches that rarely happen and some you might not have ever played. In the crew battle like you explained, you're still mostly counterpicking characters and taking turns choosing matchups you favor.

Both are good ideas though IMO.

Aves

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna try it! Sounds fun. You could also just use one dice and use six characters. For a significantly shorter game.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I'm gonna try it! Sounds fun. You could also just use one dice and use six characters. For a significantly shorter game.
You're right. People have mentioned that and while it is certainly possible, it does remove a little of the initial strategy of numbering certain characters with higher probability numbers.

La J

Smash Rookie
Wait, so the player who wins keeps playing with the same character untill he is defeated, right?

Dart!

Smash Master
the rules should be one for each tier or only one from top tier, cause everybody can ftilt with sheik or shine with fox or dair with falco

Dart!

Smash Master
S: Fox, Falco, Jigglypuff, Sheik
A: Marth, Peach, Captain Falcon
B: Ice Climbers
C: Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Samus
D: Pikachu, Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong
E: Link, Young Link
F: Zelda, Roy, Mewtwo, Yoshi, Mr. Game & Watch
G: Ness, Bowser, Kirby, Pichu

yeah

Top Bottom