• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

El Paso Thread

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
way to put the pressure on me lol.

If you guys are ever in the west side you can come to my house and play smash I don't have a license yet so you would actually be doing me a favor lol. (waiting till I'm 18 as thats less than the 6 month waiting period if I get a permit)

I hope the librarian found a sponsor for the tournament, she said she would look for some and that other librarians had done it before so she may have better luck than if I called. Other news is that we probably can't have a melee tournament there because we can't stay there all night and if this becomes big brawl will probably take up most of if not all of the time. We could get a few people and do one at my house though I live like 3 blocks down.

This is going to be the rule set though http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5097738#post5097738

and the stage list:

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter

Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Green Greens
Onett
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1

Banned

Mario Circuit
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
lol dont worry, you still got time. I meant WE too because i want everyone working on this not just the TOs. Rules are good except i think lylat should be counter, it screws with some characters when it moves

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
Duffman, so that guy is coming in October? Wouldn't it suck if he came all the way down here for a tournament and there were NO cash prizes?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Duffman, so that guy is coming in October? Wouldn't it suck if he came all the way down here for a tournament and there were NO cash prizes?
:<

It's still a no with the cash prizes. I understand if you guys don't want to come because of that (it would just help me get the shiny gift card to GameStop).

Yeah. I've been trying to look for a way out of it, and the only way I can think of is to charge a venue fee, pay Franklin that, and say that that was payment for Franklin allowing me to host the tournament there. That way, it wasn't a Franklin tourney and so the no cash payments rule shouldn't apply.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord

It's still a no with the cash prizes. I understand if you guys don't want to come because of that (it would just help me get the shiny gift card to GameStop).

Yeah. I've been trying to look for a way out of it, and the only way I can think of is to charge a venue fee, pay Franklin that, and say that that was payment for Franklin allowing me to host the tournament there. That way, it wasn't a Franklin tourney and so the no cash payments rule shouldn't apply.
No matter what the prize is i will go. I want to see the skills EL Paso has.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I think there where more at the anime con. Although I could have lost because the 1st rounds where only 1 match.

BTW skyler have you gone to the ebgames across the street to see if theres any good people? I'm always wondering if they play brawl there but never bother to go.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
All the skill that El Paso had went to the major players tourney.
Hate to hear that but i do want to play other people that i haven't played, including you. Also people are getting better like Mr. Vermillion. I also want to play Arturito Burrito's ike again cause i always seem to land on ike's attacks cause i cant read them.
I am going to main falcon now

All the top players that were at the anime went to major players no?
Wish i went to that one but I was at Austin

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I'm not sure I lost right away in that one and just left since I didn't know anyone but there where a few people there that I didn't see at the major players tournament. Plus that thing of people getting better is true so the more tournaments the more people get used to playing competitively. Thats what happened to me.

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice

Oh don't get me wrong. I'll still go. Even if there is no cash prize. I like to see how well I do against other players. I'm just saying it would suck for that guy to come out here and not have a chance at winning anything worthwhile.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Yeah.

Well, I've gotten (somewhat) better. Mario has only had one noteworthy Metagame advancement since the Major Players tourney, and even then it was an already known technique that just got proven to work.

I'm up for playing any of you guys online, but don't expect me to win. My training partner went off to college, so I'm stuck with practicing on lvl 3 CPUs and laggy WiFi matches.

Regarding good/not yet entered the (nearly nonexistant) EP tourney scene:

There may be a few on the westside that haven't shown themselves. I know a guy who used Yoshi and won the Game Stop tourney, but whenever I play him now I three stock him. But maybe he suddenly got good in the two months that I haven't played him?!

Who knows. there may be a few people, but don't get your hopes up. The top 20 at the Major Players tourney are most likely the only ones who have a shot of even making it out of pools in high-level play.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
I am ****ing drunk reading this ****, I expect more post when i get home at this time. COME ON MAN.
Lets do a tournament right now

Sorry for being obnoxious ^^^^ lol. Yesterday i remember drinking with some one and he said that there was going to be another tournament at that fix, which is now called gamers heaven. THey fired the guy that worked there too so maybe we can get a good tourney there?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Yeh. The reason I couldn't go the the doubles tourney there is because it's way to far away from where I live. Nearly a two hour drive.

And um... after the next tourney, should we start getting the results and start making a rank of the best smashers in El Paso? Just for fun/bragging rights?

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Yeh. The reason I couldn't go the the doubles tourney there is because it's way to far away from where I live. Nearly a two hour drive.

And um... after the next tourney, should we start getting the results and start making a rank of the best smashers in El Paso? Just for fun/bragging rights?
I found out the brawl tournament was yesterday. It was on a bulletin on myspace lol. Short notice. The place now takes 20% of the pot then distributes among the winners. which i dont think is that much? maybe.

You live that far? i make it to utep like in 20-25 from socorro. Isn't franklin like another 20 from UTEP?

As for the fun/bragging rights, I OWN YOU ALL jk but i will

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Yah man from my house its like 30-40 min drive where do you live? Also since we are both nearby we can give each other rides or split the gas, After plus we can take some scrubs in hope that they get better thats kind of why I want more tourneys. Also I think its a no go on the prize money because if he is coming the 11th well its out of my hand Since the library won't charge me a venue fee and I doubt a store will go for giving out cash instead of gift cards. Unless Its like a local nongaming business.

Maybe we can have a melee tournament at my house but it wouldn't be a big thing probably like 20 people at most, I guess if we make it a 10$ venue fee then it would be a good cash prize.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I don't, but I can't say much because I never got on the melee tourney scene.

I dunno. I live like up in the mountains. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to Franklin, so maybe two hours was an over estimation. Just, to long for me to drive. I'm lazy.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Thats why I'd like to find a place downtown so the people on the east side don't have the same problem. And I don't really play melee anymore but it might be a little boring to finish a 5 hour brawl tournament and then do another one right after for money which is why I said melee at my house.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Thats the problem.. I dont like people's enthusiasm here in El Paso. In central Texas they travel for 1-4 hours every weekend to make it to tourneys while we struggle for minute drives. Another thing is people aren't willing to pay much for tourneys too.

I got an idea, might be stupid... What if you charge money for a drawing for the 1st place prize after he/she wins it then give him the money?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Well if it was up to me I would charge and just give out money but the library doesn't like to charge money for people. I'm not sure on your drawing thing though because wouldn't that need to have a prize as well?

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Well if it was up to me I would charge and just give out money but the library doesn't like to charge money for people. I'm not sure on your drawing thing though because wouldn't that need to have a prize as well?
What i meant was that the 1st prize would be the prize for the drawing after the person wins it. So like the drawing is somewhat The winner himself creating the drawing. Charge 10$ fro the drawing, winner gets the prize but is then put on the drawing so he receives the money and then someone else gets the prize? That way the school isnt really givin out cash prizes or no rules are broken

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
****, I'll just hold another tournament so we can give out cash. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Neocell

Smash Rookie
lol why you so excited to lose??? jk jk... but yeah.. if major players hosts another tourney that'd be awesome man. do it do it ** and i could also bring a TV if needed.. it's not HD but it looks like it.. no lag but nice picture.. can't go wrong :)

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
No beer no girls= smashboards all night but its alright. Just give me an easy bracket, i dont want fight New Port either. Some one has to beat him. I am going to practice a lot more with snake, best choice vs a marth i hope

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
G&W actually has a better advantage against marth. Snake is actually a neutral.

I hope that tournament isn't on the same day because that would really suck since I kind of have to go to this one.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
G&W actually has a better advantage against marth. Snake is actually a neutral.

I hope that tournament isn't on the same day because that would really suck since I kind of have to go to this one.
absolutely no advantage, trust me. It is hard because marth has better range than him, even the turtle. i would say marth has an advantage 60-40 or 55-45.
Snake vs marth would be a bit more neutral but i would like to test him on newports marth just to check it out. I mean out of my 3 mains i didnt expect my wario to be able to beat 2 times.

Dont worry, vermillion knows better to make a tourney the same day

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
Nah, it's going to be the same day... Oh LAWDY HOW DO I HOSTED TURNAMENTS!? What? Hah, sorry, it's late and I'm tired. Of course it will be on a different day. I'm just not sure which one. Hows about you guys decide. And someone make me a flyer. I hate doing that. HURR HURR, MAKE IT ALL PURDY!

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Nah, it's going to be the same day... Oh LAWDY HOW DO I HOSTED TURNAMENTS!? What? Hah, sorry, it's late and I'm tired. Of course it will be on a different day. I'm just not sure which one. Hows about you guys decide. And someone make me a flyer. I hate doing that. HURR HURR, MAKE IT ALL PURDY!
I would love to but i dont really know hoe to make one... If someone suggests how i can do i would like to put plenty of time to it. SO when do we want it? before, after or the same day? Tomorrow would be fine but how about the 27th of this month or 25th of the next?
I expect some money matches this time. Maybe we should ask Sinz for a good date for them to see if they can come? I'm a little too excited now:(

Outlawstar2121

Smash Cadet
You should ask, the more the merrier if they come. Also the 27th sounds perfect give time to spread the word out and get people ready for tourny. Yo arturito we should play i get out of work at 5:30 tomorrow i'll hit you up if you want. Should be back from school then right?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I'm getting excited too as I invited this one guy who was like 10 times better than me in melee and he said he would go. He would probably come to this one as well and hes brother is really good too. I've never played him in brawl but I'm assuming he is better at it than melee because he said **** melee lol.

I say the 27th as well because its still a month till the my tournament having one in between would be nice. You can make a flyer with word 07 if you want to do it with that. Thats what I'm using for mine once I find a sponsor (think its going to be Rudolf Chevrolet lol) The main reason I asked if it was the same date was because you said that guy from Austin is coming on the 11th and everyone was like hes going to come all the way out here for no cash.

Outlaw my wii is broken right now so can you bring yours over? I have all the cables a brawl copy just no Wii I sent it to get repaired this mourning. Talk to me on Aim or msn for directions.

Aim: me65times
MSN:me65times@hotmail.com

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I can make a flyer, but purtyful-ness is not guaranteed. I guess if you give me the background photo that you used on the one last time, I could just make a new flyer.

And what rulesets will you guys be using?

V3RMILLION

Smash Apprentice
... Eh, I think I still have the old flyer on my Mac... I'll just mash it with Photoshop and change the date. Since you all have FAILED me. I guess the 27th will be fine. Make sure you guys tell lots of people. Don't expect the same nubs to show up... they stop coming once they realize they have NO chance at winning. We need more, different, experienced players.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
Vermillion you ask Mr. art major Raul to make you one lmao. So 27 it is? Divide this up in areas to promote. Now Outlaw and Arturo got the West, i can help you out around our area. Someone can do it at UTEP. Aaron and Anthony said they would do it at Americas. Now for the fee? $10? Who ever makes it make sure to like advertise it as THE BIGGEST EL PASO Tourney ever. Ill even post it on myspace, make sure to post it here on smashboards as well so we can let outsiders know.

Skyler: rule set i think it should be almost like last time except MK is banned jk.

I get on vacations on the 22nd so i will be playing brawl most of the time, not kidding

Top Bottom