• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Eggstraordinary Rainbow Yolk: Yoshi Results Thread

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
The remarks about Yoshi in your inquiry clash with how you also claim him to be overrated. What about Yoshi is overrated?
A lot of people act like he's amazing in this game, yet his grabs are horrible, he has one of the worst side specials in the vanilla metagame (though not as bad as most people make it out to be), can die easily off stage from a gimp or footstool, had his back and down air's frame data worsened in the transition from Brawl to Smash 4, etc. But he also has some very strong attributes such as being able to rack up damage quickly, has great kill power and combo potential, a great projectile, an excellent command grab, etc. Basically he's a solid high tier character that is frequently portrayed as a top ten character. Yet he is completely unable to get the results to show he's that good. He seemed pretty amazing in the original 3DS version, but those nerfs hurt him badly. He probably would be top ten if they never nerfed his frame data.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
A lot of people act like he's amazing in this game, yet his grabs are horrible, he has one of the worst side specials in the vanilla metagame (though not as bad as most people make it out to be), can die easily off stage from a gimp or footstool, had his back and down air's frame data worsened in the transition from Brawl to Smash 4, etc. But he also has some very strong attributes such as being able to rack up damage quickly, has great kill power and combo potential, a great projectile, an excellent command grab, etc. Basically he's a solid high tier character that is frequently portrayed as a top ten character. Yet he is completely unable to get the results to show he's that good. He seemed pretty amazing in the original 3DS version, but those nerfs hurt him badly. He probably would be top ten if they never nerfed his frame data.
Well just nitpicking, side special is a horrid move, but tha is near hardly influences Yoshi's performance as a character. Yes, it could've been a more useful move, but Yoshi does fine without it. Also, it is very, very hard to gimp or footstool a Yoshi who knows how to optimize his offstage options and mobility.

To answer your question, Yoshi not getting results is simply the case of lack of representation from top players. It's not the character's fault. As you said, and everyone knows, Yoshi is a great character. I personally believe him to be a top 10 character, if not then right outside that bubble. To put it in perspective, recall Pikachu's under-representation in Brawl bar Esam. Everyone knows Pikachu was an outstanding character with a lot going for him, but barely had more that a few top players repping him. In Smash4 Yoshi's case as well, is simply because there are better charcaters than him that are also easier to use and learn at a high level. We'll see how things pan out in the future, especially after this patch.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I just hope they improved his grabs at some point. If down throw became a true combo throw, that would be wonderful.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Yea, in a game where most of the top tier characters get a 'hoo-hah', Yoshi lacking significant/guaranteed reward off his grabs is disappointing. Egg lay is amazing though.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Balance patches are giving a lot of characters actual combo throws, so with Yoshi's lack of results, I'm hoping he'll eventually get one. I'm guessing they decided to not give Yoshi that because of his neutral special, but the added startup from the 1.0.4 balance patch made his lousy grabs a much bigger problem.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I have an easy enough time landing Yoshi's grabs. It's just the enormous amount of ending lag they added to them, especially after brawl(note pivot grab). That's what really bugged me about the transition.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
His grabs leave him super vulnerable and he gets very little out of grabs. It's a lousy combination.

Peppa

Time's up, pipsqueak. I'm gone!
NNID
ThePeppa
A little old and small, but after a month or so of switching mains I finally placed decently(7th) in a pretty stacked (for our local scene, first place guy was the Mii Brawler who took a game off Zero with Brawler at FGC) local. I was super proud and still am, I lost game 3 against a Pika, which I had never gone against though.
http://challonge.com/Propane/standings

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Updatez
Huge one too... help.

Singles
Super Smash POYO | Zudenka | 04/18/15 | 1st out of 39 | :4yoshi:

Super Qwertz Bros | Zudenka | 05/23/15 | 2nd out of 45 | :4yoshi:

Tech A Break | Zudenka | 06/28/15 | 1st out of 35 | :4yoshi:

La Paradiso | Skippy | 06/13/15 | 9th out of 79 | :4yoshi:

Northwest Battlgrounds 1 | Aveean | 06/13/15 | 7th out of 26 | :4yoshi:

3º Torneio Intergalático da Física | Lukin | 06/27/15 | 2nd out 31 | :4yoshi:/:4ness:

Manoa Monthlies 1 | GSM_Dren | 06/20/15 | 2nd out 17 | :4yoshi:

CEO 2015 | Poltergust | 06/27/15 | 17th out of 512 | :4yoshi:/:4luigi:

CEO 2015 | KDB | 06/27/15 | 25th out of 512 | :4yoshi:

Big Agon | Slice | 06/27/15 | 9th out of 96 | :4yoshi:

Big Agon | Yikarur | 06/27/15 | 13th out of 96 | :4yoshi:

Smash Series 7 | GSM_Dren | 06/27/15 | 5th out of 27 | :4yoshi:

Wille vai à França! | Lukin | 07/09/15 | 2nd out of 35 | :4yoshi:/:4ness:/:4kirby:

EVAC July Smash 4 | Nikes | 07/10/15 | 2nd out of 24 | :4yoshi:

Smash Town PA | Fuerzo | 07/11/15 | 13th out of 36 | :4yoshi:

HH Nothin Personnel | Demo | 07/11/15 | 7th out of 27 | :4yoshi:

Avcon2015 Nikes | 07/19/15 | 9th out of 256 | :4yoshi:

League of Shadows 2-12 | Slush | 07/23/15 | 7th out of 44 | :4yoshi:

SAFGC Round 4 | Nikes | 07/26/15 | 2nd out of 32 | :4yoshi:

The Reset #2 | Zudenka | 07/26/15 | 1st out of 75 | :4yoshi:

Smash At Xanadu | Bonz | 07/28/15 | 17th out of 116 | :4yoshi:

San Japan 8-bit | Slush | 08/01/15 | 13th out of 160 | :4yoshi:

BHAM | Kasai | 08/01/15 | 7th out of 34 | :4yoshi:

Doubles
Sal2ournament | Nikes/Ghost | 07/03/15 | 1st out of 16 | :4yoshi:/ Random
Courage, I have no idea how to do that result.
No towards phili sadly, half and half would've been fine but 90% of matches of not Yoshi not so much.

As I'm sure most of you have noticed, (if you check the first/second post) the results are getting pretty fat. How do you think I should trim it down a bit if any?

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
StreetGeek 15.08
Nikes
2nd out of 21
8/8/2015
Yoshi

Lost to MK killing me from a dash attack into an Uair chain into upB when I was at around 20% before getting hit, on several occasions. Apparently it's a true combo depending on both players %...this game is really giving me a hard time.

In truth even though 2nd is still good, losing to stuff like this is making it hard for me to keep going...Just not making any progress at all, and this is only on a local level.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
In the gf set I lost, most of my deaths came from dthrow -> Uair from sheik lol

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
In the gf set I lost, most of my deaths were dthrow -> Uair from sheik lol
:/
Problem against Sheik is unless you're at really high % where you won't get combo'd from Dthrow it's a guessing game between double jumping away from the vanish kill, or airdodging the Uair...I'm not sure if we can airdodge and drift away from the vanish in time or not. Either way it's a really difficult situation.

Good job on getting to gfs though!

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Cant you vector torwards sheik and DI up then jump and not get hit? You could also jump air dodge which is only 1 frame of delay but jump seems alot more safe.

Idk though. Sometimes I air dodge un willingly against sheiks down throw.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No you can't, if sheik grabs you and dthrows, she has a 50/50 chance to take a stock from either upb or Uair. Even then her dthrow goes into her fair too at high % lol, just prolly won't kill.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Yoshi can jump out of the multi hit. What makes air dodgeing any better? Its 3 frames slower.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Since your guys are discussing that, there was a single random moment that he tried to Dthrow -> Uair me while I was trying to escape with DJ, and I managed to escape being killed because the armor protected me from the first hits of the move and by the time the final hit of the move came I was already far away from him. Idk how exactly that happened because it didn't work in all the other times I tried doing it :/

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
KSAW Bi-Weekly
Micaelis
2nd out of 28
7/2/15
Yoshi

Gwinnett Brawl 19
Micaelis
4th out of 32
8/8/15
Yoshi

Tournament Tuesday's!
Micaelis
3rd out of 29
8/12/15
Yoshi

Decided to start being a bit more active on the boards and post up my results. I don't make it out to much but I try to rep Yoshi the best I can.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
KSAW Bi-Weekly
Micaelis
2nd out of 28
7/2/15
Yoshi

Gwinnett Brawl 19
Micaelis
4th out of 32
8/8/15
Yoshi

Tournament Tuesday's!
Micaelis
3rd out of 29
8/12/15
Yoshi

Decided to start being a bit more active on the boards and post up my results. I don't make it out to much but I try to rep Yoshi the best I can.
Wow, nice results! Getting top 3 or 4 is pretty good. Who's keeping you outta Top 1? =P

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Wow, nice results! Getting top 3 or 4 is pretty good. Who's keeping you outta Top 1? =P
Thanks! Some of those results didn't have the best PR attendance though I do almost always make Top 5. GA has a lot of solid players but I only usually lose to the Top 5-6 players. I'm slowly changing that with my recent pickup of Yoshi now. He fits my play style much better than Rosaluma did.

I lose mostly to the following:

Fatality (Captain Falcon)
Scatt (Megaman)
Neos (Rosaluma)
Player-1 (Diddy)
DRN (Metaknight/Diddy)

Sadly Player-1 is now retired so I may not get my revenge on him as I did in Brawl many times :)

My last tournament I did beat Fatality in winners with Yoshi before he brought it back with solid play in losers. Good indication my Yoshi is getting there.

DRN is my training partner and really has my number though I often take games.

Scatt I play often but have a hard time being patient enough to play the Megaman Yoshi MU correct plus I tend to run into him at customs tournaments which make that MU even more annoying. I've recently worked on my patience to great results so I'm optimistic here.

Neos I have yet to play against with my Yoshi minus my first tournament with him where I almost won. I'm looking forward to our rematch :)

There's an upcoming Bowser player named LordMix who demolished me two tournaments ago but I'm confident that once I learn the high level Bowser MU that I can do equally as well against him too.

Hopefully I'll keep up the work. I try to attend as many tournaments as I can but between my full time job and recently becoming engaged, I find it hard to find time

Last edited:

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 @ PCGz
GSM_Dren
2nd out of 31
8/23/15
:4yoshi:
Felt I played good, I didn't drop any games except to VoiD in WF and GF. :4sheik: 2 gewd. Unfortunately won't be attending any future tournaments for a month or two due to college starting again tomorrow.

--

Manoa Monthlies 2
GSM_Dren
2nd out of 24
8/30/15

Ok I lied, probably won't attend a tourney until Oct lol. Got knocked into loser's by :4fox:and wasn't able to close GF against :4luigi:, I don't like the luigi MU. :c

Last edited:

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels
First time I've posted in this thread.
Wyoming Smash @ Casper Casper, WY (1st out of 26)
http://challonge.com/wyomingsmashatcasper#

Neumont August Smash Jam Salt Lake City, UT (13th out of 58)
http://gamersabbey.challonge.com/NASJSSB4S

Mostly Yoshi, some Wario and Dedede mixed in.

The video of the first one should be up soon, I had a lot of sets on stream.

The second one, while not great is a huge improvement for me, I think it's just from having a reputation for pulling upsets and getting more favorable seedings now.

Last edited:

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Versus Smash 4 Paragon Sponsorship Tourney (http://versus.challonge.com/paragon_la_2015_s4_singles)
Tag: Hound
Date of Tournament: July 25, 2015
17nd out of 100
Customs: Off
Version: Wii U

I posted these results a while back but they seemed to be missed. Notice in the results Poltergust and KDB(both Yoshis) that placed 7th and 4th respectively.

- - - - -

Versus Smash 4 Weekly http://versus.challonge.com/s4_082015/standings
Date of Tournament: 8/20/15
25th out of 101 Players
Customs Off
Wii U

- - - - -

Versus Smash 4 Weekly http://versus.challonge.com/s4_082715
Date of Tournament: 8/27/15
9th out of 61 Players
Customs Off
Wii U

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
EVAC September Fundraiser
http://sasmash.challonge.com/evacsmash4fundraiser
Nikes
11/9/15
2nd out of 36
Yoshi
Customs off
Wii U

Lost yet again to Ghost who went Sheik and Diddy, GFs had to be cut down to Bo3 due to time constraints. He really has a way of making me do stupid things and just straight up wins the neautral as a player.
Also lost the money match against him 3-1.
I could call sick johns as I've been sick and bedridden for the past few days, realistically I shouldnt've even gone out but I desperately wanted thay result.

Also, there was another Yoshi main who entered called Kaezer who did really well and placed 5th so put down his results too imo.

Last edited:

TuttyTheFruity

Smash Rookie
NNID
yourkevina
3DS FC
4081-6671-6764
Just gonna dump my results from this year.

PRed 8th in Ottawa at the moment as the sole Yoshi rep

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday Night Mayhem 22 - Challonge
Tutan
September 14 2015
3rd/37
Yoshi/Mii Brawler
Customs Off

Back 2 School Battle Royale - Pools + Top 32
Tutan
September 12 2015
17th/79
Yoshi
Customs Off

Monday Night Mayhem 21 - Challonge
Tutan
September 7 2015
7th/41
Yoshi
Customs Off

Monday Night Mayhem 20 - Challonge
Tutan
August 31 2015
7th/30
Yoshi
Customs Off

Smash Nexus - Challonge + Facebook page
Tutan
August 22-23 2015
33rd/96
Yoshi
Customs Off

Monday Night Mayhem 18 - Facebook page
Tutan
August 17 2015
5th/55
Yoshi/Mii Brawler/Mario
Custom Off

Monday Night Mayhem 13 - Facebook page
Tutan
July 13 2015
5th/39
Yoshi/Mii Brawler
Customs Off

ECHO 2015 Summer - Facebook page
Tutan
July 11 2015
3rd/32
Yoshi
Customs Off

Monday Night Mayhem 11 - Facebook page
Tutan
June 29 2015
7th/38
Yoshi/Olimar
Customs off

Monday Night Mayhem 7 - Facebook page
Tutan
June 1 2015
1st/26
Yoshi/Mario
Customs off

Monday Night Mayhem 6 - Facebook page
Tutan
May 25 2015
4th/27
Yoshi
Customs off

Monday Night Mayhem 5 - Facebook page
Tutan
May 18 2015
4th/26
Yoshi
Customs off

Monday Night Mayhem 3 Facebook page
Tutan
May 4 2015
3rd/31
Yoshi
Customs off

Monday Night Mayhem 2 - Facebook page
Tutan
April 27 2015
4th/25
Yoshi/Mii Brawler
Customs off

Battle Royale 8 - SmashBoards Results
Tutan
February 21 2015
9th/69
Yoshi
Customs off

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
To be honest, I have no idea if I wanna keep updating this thread, especially after tuttyfruity's gigantic post lol
It's not laziness honestly for all my threads (the MU thread is definitely laziness tho) it's just smashboards keeps track of most tournaments as long as the TO enters it into their system or the bad way by just keeping it on facebook or left in the void forever (which fb is basically that kinda, will be lost in the flow of "anyone wanna 1v1?" "Who going to X tournament later this week?" "chek out muh tierlizt")

It sucks for some japanese yoshi's or small scenes like Zude's for example since they of course don't use smashboards (the TOs) but as much as I'd like to keep updating this thread forever, Smashboards rankings might have more tournaments added than this thread, just less organized of course.
You can click Characters > Yoshi and find pretty much results of people who chose Yoshi.
http://smashboards.com/rankings/smash-for-wii-u.8/league/team?rank=0&value=0&team=yoshi

Maybe I'll keep updating the thread, just the tuttyfruity post is kinda overwhelming and with the size of the OP, I might need to trim it down a bit or Delta needs to provide me a third post to put down archives already almost a year into this game lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom