• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Egg Throw Question

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
What success have y'all had with pulling out the second jump after using the egg throw in the air? I've experimented a few times, and maybe I suck, but I've only had success while doing it over the stage. When I jump off the stage, throw an egg, and then try to go into the second jump, the second jump doesn't work and I fall to my death.

Anyone have any explanations?

Also, this seems like something that would have been addressed before, but I didn't see it. :-/

Sharky

Smash Master
you have tapjump on. This is why I have it off. What's happening is when you hit up on the control stick for the egg throw, you're starting your double jump, and then quickly cancelling it with the b button. If this is a major issue for you, I'd turn tapjump off.

Doval

Smash Lord
What they said. You have two options - you can do things the hard way (only tilt the analog stick instead of smashing it, every time you need to use Up B) or the easy way (Tap Jump Off.) Technically you could also set the C-stick to specials, but that's the "learn to use your controller in a different way, way."

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
you have tapjump on. This is why I have it off. What's happening is when you hit up on the control stick for the egg throw, you're starting your double jump, and then quickly cancelling it with the b button. If this is a major issue for you, I'd turn tapjump off.
Gah....I've never considered that before. I guess it might be in my interests to eliminate the tap, then. It'll be annoying, but I guess it'll help with tilts, too.

Thanks, though.

Gindler

Smash Champion
True, and yoshi's Utilt is hella good in brawl. Melee an uptilted Ftilt was way better, I miss the dino kick but the tail is so much sexier. Ha, I love it when people go to edgeguard you and instead of second jumping you throw an egg in their face first :p then if you're feeling extra sexy a rising Fair to finish the kill :p

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Rising forward air should be banned, in all honesty.

I don't see anything fair about it.

acojan

Smash Apprentice
rising fair is the hardest thing for me to hit with yoshi .... i dunno why.....
and when i do actually hit it i usually stale-spot it >_< !

am i doing sumthing wrong ?

i just usualy use rising Nair to edguard

Gindler

Smash Champion
I've only done it a few times usually after an unsweetspotted fair I'll just rise up and hit em again. I love it when people call it the sex when I actually get it to work :p but have done it a couple times after an egg throw.

but still it only works about 25% of the time after I hit with the unsweetspotted fair during my first hop off the edge so it aint all to easy since i rarely use the fair to begin with.

bigman40

Smash Master
I've done it a few times also. Everything has to be nearly perfect though. I mostly hit the move when i'm coming back. Never done it throwing an egg though.

You gotta hit them when yoshi's head is traveling downward (Or hit them with the tip of his head). Not really something that you want to attempt unless you just feel like going on a limb.

3GOD

Smash Ace
One thing I dislike about Tap Jump Off is the difficulty of Egg Throwing backwards (Reverse Egg Throw Sliding - I've seen it called this) from the initial dash animation. You can Egg Throw backwards from the full speed run, but not in the initial "fox trot" portion of the dash unless you jump-cancel the Egg Throw.

Do you guys think it's worth the trade off to not have to worry about wasting your second jump in order to give up quick reverse egg throw slides?

Honestly, I suppose I should just learn to use Y -> Up+B reversal from the initial dash. It shouldn't be too hard since I use the "claw" grip on my controller.

bigman40

Smash Master
It's really easy to do when you claw the controller (I do it too). It'll only take you about a day to start getting them down easily.

bigman40

Smash Master
yeah. Put your index finger on the Y-button. I can ETS easily (with an exception of doing it too fast) and it's great for being just a little quicker in doing SH aerials.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
I've said it before (though it wasn't my idea) and I'll say it again.

Set L to Jump. Makes ETS (and other jump canceled stuff) MUCH easier.

Run > Pivot and simultaneously hit Up + b + L.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yeah, a few of my buddies and I have been experimenting with control schemes.

I haven't tried L as jump yet, but they tell me it's pretty amazing.

D

Deleted member

I turn L to jump (or r, whichever u dont use), and it makes ETS really easy.

Sharky

Smash Master
lol shiri and your control schemes. I still feel bad for that guy that tried to use yours at Final Smash XD

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
:yoshi: Yeah, a few of my buddies and I have been experimenting with control schemes.

I haven't tried L as jump yet, but they tell me it's pretty amazing.
It also works for Fox's JC shine, JC item toss and the shield up-smash (not with Yoshi, of course).

L-jumping is useful and everyone (regardless of character) who has Tap Jump off should at least try it out.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I can't do it (too used to clawing now). Plus, I use L to shield.
I love clawing - I started doing it about a year or two ago with Melee. It really give a lot of cool benefits (more so in Melee, but it has benefits for Brawl too). I also use L to shield (most seem to use R for some reason?).

I'll give the ETS a try with tap jump off using Y for my jump cancel...shouldn't be too bad.

Kyoryoku Hitori

Smash Cadet
You'll never find out! 'Cause by the time you do M
Once you master egg throwing to recover off the edge you will be near invincible. I was once brawling with my bro and we were on Halberd and i accidentally fell off and he stole my second jump. I used my egg throw and guess what... i didnt get back to the platform. BUT, i kept using the move and i thought i was done for but, i landed ON the Halberd and then i PWND his face.:chuckle:

Gindler

Smash Champion
Hmmm, come to think of it I don't use the L button for anything. R does all the shielding and dodging since I'm a righty. But not I can finally encorporate that fancy egg trick into my game, usually I don't get to use the egg throw too much anymore, actually I still don't ground point except to get back to the stage or punish someone coming up to Uair me, any tips on how to work a ground ground pound into my game?

Oh and I was just wondering, does anyone else use the egg lay to defend themselves in the air from an oncoming attack right infront of you? or am I the only person that doesn't just airdodge them?

Mr. Referee

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, come to think of it I don't use the L button for anything. R does all the shielding and dodging since I'm a righty. But not I can finally encorporate that fancy egg trick into my game, usually I don't get to use the egg throw too much anymore, actually I still don't ground point except to get back to the stage or punish someone coming up to Uair me, any tips on how to work a ground ground pound into my game?

Oh and I was just wondering, does anyone else use the egg lay to defend themselves in the air from an oncoming attack right infront of you? or am I the only person that doesn't just airdodge them?
I actually use the L button to sheild even though I'm a righty. Wierd. Never thought about it till now. Grounded pounds are good for surprising people running at you if you time it right and also if you do it right next to them because they will get hit on the way up and again on the way down. Just don't overuse theml.

Sharky

Smash Master
They're also nice on slopes. I love them on Yoshi's Island. Ground pound off the stage, jump as soon as you leave the edge and bair/nair =D

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I have specials set to X as well as B. It sounds confusing, but I don't use them interchangeably, I use them for different techniques.

Also, how many times have you turned into an egg off-stage instead of Edge-cancelled Eggs?

I think I'm at about 2 million. X.X

Gindler

Smash Champion
I've done it once, I try not to "ECE" too much. Sure it's ammusing to watch but they get hit by one at the most then shield the rest. But after losing a match SD on my last stock when I coulda easily won if I hadn't have done that I've lost some respect for it.

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
I'm glad to see that there are now more people making use of the L to jump strategy. It takes a while of getting use to shorthop with L on the Gamecube controller, but it is well worth it. C-stick aerials because much more effective when you aren't moving your thumb from jump to c-stick.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Hmmm, wierd. I use Y, I think X has a wierd location, but they're both still jumps of course, and now L. Hmmm 3 jump buttons is a bit much.

Top Bottom