• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edgeslips

This is for awareness purposes only.

First watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFtJDxsqMs

These are all the characters that are mentioned in the video: Fox, wolf, Shiek, Captain Falcon, Falco, Ganon, Bowser, King Dedede, Link, Diddy, Donkey Kong, Meta Knight, Pikachu, Snake, Zero Suit Samus, Lucas, Sonic, Squirtle, Charizard, Ike, Pit, and Wario.

That's 22 characters and slightly over 50% of the entire roster. The animation mentioned in the video for Snake and Marth is 27 frames, I assume this might be close to other characters duration. From this point of view, Utilt ends quickly enough to allow Snake to capitalize on the Edgeslip with other attacks. But the biggest thing is that...

Snake has a jab reset -> uncharged fsmash...

Someone on battlefield platform, utilt them a shield, they fall off, jab reset, fsmash.

This to me is a pretty hefty realization that we can get a guaranteed fsmash on someone by setting up right, and while situational, it is a fairly common situation. Battlefield is among one of the most popular stages to play on, and people getting caught on those platforms is quiet common too against someone like snake. Snake's Utilt covers a good chuck of a lower platform if there is a shield to hit. The push from Utilt is high enough too. Someone not shielding on a platform is irrelevent as when the alternative means getting hit or still stuck in a bad position.

The entire situation is in Snake's favor anyway and this is nothing new since day one. However, given awareness you start to look for the situations, and knowledge allows you to properly capitalize on punishments. What makes a good player different from a great player is often times knowing what they can punish with if their opponent uses different options. Utilt is good anyway in that it can hit people if they do not shield on a platform, but if they do, you can punish them in someway still. Anywhere from a dashattack/snakeslide to a fsmash. The little bits add up.

P.S. Snake's platform game under them is pretty good.

Its also weird how this thread sees more activity in the span of about 5-10 minutes than in a whole 10 hours of being up.

etecoon

Smash Hero
The push from Utilt is high enough too. Someone not shielding on a platform is irrelevent as when the alternative means getting hit or still stuck in a bad position.
not necessarily, some characters have options to attack below the platform like MK can shuttle loop or dair and if you utilt at the same time you'll get hit.

I LOVE MY BROKEN CHARACTER

Max113

Smash Apprentice
If the last hit of Nair causes the edge slip, you can jab reset --> Fsmash them. Just getting that out there. :D

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
another sidenote:
i think pushing them down with uair instead of utilt is better, cause jab will miss if they DI too far away.
with uair you can chase them.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
not much to say here, cept we should test the platforms it works on. Works on YI when the platform is slanting low. Does not work on Frigate transformation 1's platform (against Snake at least), I remember teching the edge slip there. More testing would be appreciated.

but yeah, jab -> fsmash if they are close, other wise jab -> running dash/ftilt. remember that the jab can be sdi'ed. so if they are at kill percent just utilt.

Testing all platforms is ridiculous in my opinion. No one is going to memorize a chart of information, I found this when I did part of the stuff on Dthrow tech chasing. Its better to generalize for quick information in ones head.

The general thing you need to know is that the lower to the ground a platform is, the more people are affected by those edgeslip mechanics. Anything shorter than BF or same height should not change anything for those listed here.

Lylat is legit. I think I have changed my mind about this stage for stage striking and CP.

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
side note: you can't just click the c-stick. you need a slight charge to it otherwise it will miss by like a frame or something like that.
not keeping that in mind cost me a torunament set this weekend >.<
it was vs mk, game 3 on bf last stock both.. he had like 60%..
and i just flicked the cstick after the jab...and got punished for the missed fsmash and died
...i wont forget this anymore EVER now..LOL

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
I remember how you told this to me afterwards XD

So bad :D

Oh and LC is my CP stage as Snake since this tournament. It's probably even better then Halberd, which gets banned anyway XD

Platforms <3333 So good for Snake :D

Top Bottom