• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Echo Characters"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm secretly hoping in vain that there is a Pokemon Trainer echo fighter with Blastoise, Charmeleon, and Bulbasaur. Although Bulbasaur doesn't have the same leaves that Ivysaur has so that would be hard. Also Charmeleon doesn't have wings...

But Blastoise could totally be a bigger, badder clone of Squirtle.

"Rival Trainer"

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I'm secretly hoping in vain that there is a Pokemon Trainer echo fighter with Blastoise, Charmeleon, and Bulbasaur. Although Bulbasaur doesn't have the same leaves that Ivysaur has so that would be hard. Also Charmeleon doesn't have wings...

But Blastoise could totally be a bigger, badder clone of Squirtle.

"Rival Trainer"
Man, that would be awesome... Mainly just for Blastoise lol, though sadly they wouldn't really pan out as Echoes since their bodies are too diferent.

Y'know, I know that choosing Squirtle and Ivysaur instead of Blastoise in Brawl was the much better option since it allowed for better character variety and Evolution line representation, but there's a small part of me that's always going to be sad that Sakurai had considered my favorite Pokemon to be in Smash but didn't go through with him in the end. In an alternate universe perhaps...

Wouldo

Smash Rookie
All I really want is Ms. Pac-Man.

In Smash 4 I always wanted her to be an alt skin of Pac-Man. Now she has a legitimate chance as an Echo Fighter.

Ms. Pac-Man's design would be from Pac-Land (like Pac-Man):

This was actually her first official appearance in a Japanese game.

Ms. Pac-Man (1981):

Pac-Man World trilogy and Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness:

Pac 'n Roll ('Pac-Girl'):

Television Series ('Pepper'):

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
it allowed for better character variety and Evolution line representation
They sacrificed too much for the sake of the "evolution line representation" narrative. Trainer is a dumb, clumsy character concept. A triple transformation character with 2 forms that never deserved to be playable Smash characters in a game that wisely removed transformation characters in the previous game. And the only reason he's back now is for the sake of the "Everyone is here!" narrative.

He's not even a GOOD representation of the concept of Pokemon evolution, as none of his Pokemon are evolutions of each other.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I hate Charizard and am glad Squirtle is back

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
They sacrificed too much for the sake of the "evolution line representation" narrative. Trainer is a dumb, clumsy character concept. A triple transformation character with 2 forms that never deserved to be playable Smash characters in a game that wisely removed transformation characters in the previous game. And the only reason he's back now is for the sake of the "Everyone is here!" narrative.

He's not even a GOOD representation of the concept of Pokemon evolution, as none of his Pokemon are evolutions of each other.
In some ways, I can agree. Charizard could have justifiably stayed its own character, and the switching can be cumbersome for some people. I can say that I would have preferred for them to be separate characters rather than scrunched up into Pokemon Trainer myself.

But I mean, he's not a "good representation of the concept of Pokemon evolution" because that wasn't the main point of his character design. If it was just Blastoise and Charizard, then it would be two heavyweights together, but Squirtle and Ivysaur allowed it to be a lightweight, a middleweight, and a heavyweight, for better character variety. I mean, I'm not sure what exactly the "evolution line representation" specifically sacrificed, since I feel that the main point behind adding in Squirtle and Ivysaur was for character diversity, with the evolution line thing just being a thematic bonus.

And personally, I don't see how Squirtle and Ivysaur "never deserved to be playable Smash characters" when the Gen 1 starter trio probably remain the most famous and well-known Pokemon behind the likes of Pikachu. Notice how no matter what generation of Pokemon we're on, there's always plenty of merchandise for Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmander? Again, I can agree that Charizard is deserving of being its own character alone, but the prominence of the other two Gen 1 starters makes them plenty worthy to be in Smash in my opinion. Besides, while Charizard may be the most popular, it's not like Charmander was the only starter that everyone who played Pokemon Red/Blue/Green ever chose.

Now, what Pokemon Trainer is supposed to represent isn't "evolution line representation" but just representing the gameplay in Pokemon in general. Like, when you look at the way the Pokemon fighters are designed in Smash Bros, they don't really represent the gameplay of their series that much beyond being Pokemon and having attacks based on Moves that their species can use in the main series. Sakurai even had to take a fair share of liberties with the Pokemon to make them more interesting, like with Lucario's Aura mechanic that has no real basis in the main series, and Jigglypuff's famous Rest, which works pretty much the opposite of how it's supposed to work in the games.

Pokemon Trainer on the other hand actually represents how the games are played. You have a team of Pokemon that you switch out strategically based off of which one has the best match up against the current opponent. And having an actual Trainer being in the game makes sense because that's who you're actually playing as in the games. I believe that was the main purpose behind the way his character was designed, and while I can agree in the sense that I would have preferred separate characters myself, I can respect the intention behind the design.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I dislike clones even if you give them a fancy title, but I actually really want Dr. Luigi in the game. Mario’s college-educated counterpart gets to be in Smash, so why not do the same for Luigi?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
And personally, I don't see how Squirtle and Ivysaur "never deserved to be playable Smash characters" when the Gen 1 starter trio probably remain the most famous and well-known Pokemon behind the likes of Pikachu. Notice how no matter what generation of Pokemon we're on, there's always plenty of merchandise for Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmander? Again, I can agree that Charizard is deserving of being its own character alone, but the prominence of the other two Gen 1 starters makes them plenty worthy to be in Smash in my opinion. Besides, while Charizard may be the most popular, it's not like Charmander was the only starter that everyone who played Pokemon Red/Blue/Green ever chose.
I think it's the fact that they're at different evolutionary levels that bothers me the most.

If it was Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander, that would have been fine. If it had been Venusaur, Blastoise and Charizard, that would have been fine too. But really, it should have JUST been Charizard. Then Greninja. Then Decidueye. 3 fully evolved starters, 3 different generations.

But because they were in before, and we have to have EVERYONE, we're stuck with Squirtle and Ivysaur, probably forever.

So the solution I'd like to see NOW is to just make all 3 of them separate, fully fleshed out characters, and then give EVERY Pokemon character except Mewtwo a Trainer. Since, without the switching mechanic, the Trainer is literally just cosmetic. And I feel like the fact that Nintendo gave each of them a separate number in Smash would make this change really easy in the future.

Also, each Pokemon could have a different trainer...

Charizard - Red
Ivysaur - Leaf
Squirtle - Blue
Jigglypuff - May
Lucario - Dawn
Greninja - Calem
Pikachu - (Let's Go, Pikachu's player character)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I think it's the fact that they're at different evolutionary levels that bothers me the most.

If it was Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander, that would have been fine. If it had been Venusaur, Blastoise and Charizard, that would have been fine too. But really, it should have JUST been Charizard. Then Greninja. Then Decidueye. 3 fully evolved starters, 3 different generations.

But because they were in before, and we have to have EVERYONE, we're stuck with Squirtle and Ivysaur, probably forever.

So the solution I'd like to see NOW, and the fact that they each have separate Smash numbers will really facilitate this for future games, is to just make all 3 of them separate, fully fleshed out characters, and then give EVERY Pokemon character except Mewtwo a Trainer. Since, without the switching mechanic, the Trainer is literally just cosmetic, each Pokemon could have a different trainer. Red for Charizard, Green for Ivysaur, Blue for Squirtle, and so on.
I actually prefer the three-in-one mechanic. Charizard in Sm4sh felt really empty to me - I’d loved the three together in Brawl, and then they got rid of the two I was better at because of 3DS limitations.

Charizard was always my favorite starter, but since Brawl, I’ve loved Squirtle, and I don’t evolve him in main-series games anymore.

Based on the games, one of the major mechanics is “Youngster Joey is about to send out Ratatta, would you like to switch?” The idea of switchable Pokémon makes a great load of sense to the games themselves. Add to that that they chose three different evolutions of the three Kanto starters (which are the most well known), it was a great idea.

I get that it’s not for everyone, but I’ve seen you posting several times about this like it was the worst imaginable decision, and I’d like to offer the counterpoint that there are some who like this and are not ‘stuck with’ anything. Everyone is allowed to play differently, and without Stamina, you’re free to play whichever you want. I however will play all three in rotation - I was pretty good with Squirtle, and Ivy was okay, but I couldn’t play Charizard to save my life.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Based on the games, one of the major mechanics is “Youngster Joey is about to send out Ratatta, would you like to switch?” The idea of switchable Pokémon makes a great load of sense to the games themselves.
Yes, and the map in Metroid is a huge part of that series as well. That doesn't make it a good idea to base a Smash character around.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know what they should use Echo Characters for? Two things:

1. Significantly different iterations of characters from previous games.

I've been pretty vocal in saying this, but I miss certain versions of characters from previous games. Melee Bowser holds a place in my heart for how monstrous he is, and I have a preference for how Link played in previous Smashes (not that I'm against BotW Link at all). And I do miss Ganondorf having the elbow, high kick, and front-back kick in lieu of his Smashes (though I completely understand why they are changed).

To this end, I think they should use Echo Characters to bring back these significantly different iterations. This would truly make this game more "Ultimate" than it already is by letting us play the way we want with certain characters in a way:
  • :ultbowser:: Dark Bowser, Dry Bowser, or even False Bowser (w/Tanooki Tail) or Bowser Statue can take Bowser's Melee moveset. However, the Melee-type Bowser Echo needs to have the Koopa Klaw instead of the Flying Slam, as the latter fits current Bowser better while the former fits Melee Bowser better.
  • :ultganondorf:: Yes, I know this is an annoyance for many people who want Ganondorf to keep the moveset, but Black Shadow should receive the old Ganondorf moveset. Black Shadow can retain the dark version of Raptor Boost instead of Ganondorf's Flame Choke, and he would use the high-kick up smash that Ganondorf lost as well as the elbow forward smash that both Falcon and Ganondorf have lost. And hey, maybe this will lead to Ganondorf getting the magic that people want so much!
  • :ultlink:: TP Link should come back with the Smash 4 moveset, with OoT Link being his alt. The boomerang would be the Melee version, but TP Link's would aesthetically be the Gale Boomerang without the wind effect.

2. The first step towards having multiple characters from one third-party franchise.

I've been... somewhat against having multiple third-party characters per franchise, as we discussed on this thread. However, with Echo Fighters, that could change. All they would really need to do is make models, and they can recycle coding and animations from other characters.
  • :ultryu:: Akuma should be Ryu's echo. Sorry Ken, but Akuma is the most iconic of the Ryu clones at this point.
  • :ultsonic:: Either Shadow or Metal Sonic. I'd personally prefer Metal Sonic since Shadow being Sonic's echo might create another "Ganondorf's moveset" situation where people would ask why he doesn't have Chaos Spear or other unique stuff.
  • :ultbayonetta:: Jeanne should be Bayonetta's echo. Not much to discuss there.
  • :ultsnake:: Naked Snake/Big Boss. I can't really think of any differences, though.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes, and the map in Metroid is a huge part of that series as well. That doesn't make it a good idea to base a Smash character around.
Now you got me thinking about a Great Cave Offensive style Metroid map and it’s such a great idea. Maybe they’ll do it for Castlevania?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
As cool as that will be, the proportions would look too off. (Context: Eggman over Bowser Jr.)

Especially with an up special like that.
I get what you mean, but it did make me wonder about some other alts or echoes for Bowser Jr that are more his size, namely the Mario themed Rabbids and possibly Captain Toad/Toadette.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Oh yeah? Where was Ken in MvC3? Where was he in MvCI? Where was he in Asura's Wrath? Where was he in Tekken 7?
Not that number of games matters, but where was Akuma in SF1? SF2? SF2CE? SF2HF? SSF2? SF3NG? NxC?

Ryu and Ken will always be "those two guys". No matter how much push Capcom keeps trying to give it's discount Shen Long.

Mark my words: Capcom WILL put Akuma in MvCI over Ken.
You think MvCI still has content coming?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If we're on the subject of Ike Echo's, why not Magnus from Kid Icarus uprising?

I was always confused as to why they implied Chrom would fight the same as Ike tbh, it didn't seem like it fit. If Chrom is in as an echo, I honestly would prefer a Roy echo. Make Chrom the Lucina to Roy's Marth.
Like Roy's moveset with the multiple hits but without the fire effects?

• :ultsnake:: Naked Snake/Big Boss. I can't really think of any differences, though.
Simple, C4 is C3 butterflies and Missile isn't remote.
The ol' Dark Pit treatment.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
pls delete

Last edited:

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Like Roy's moveset with the multiple hits but without the fire effects?
No fire effects, and no tipper near the base. It's balanced along the whole blade like lucina! and probably no multihits in the upsmash/up B.

Though maybe that makes him to close to Marth then. hmm...

Last edited:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
My understanding is that echo fighters are representatives from the same series. Clones from separate series haven't been seen since Melee, and they were only one set: Ganondorf and Captain Falcon.

Like others have mentioned it'd look weird on the CSS to have, for example, Giygas next to Mewtwo. But then again, clone characters in SSB4 had their designated spot on the CSS (which I wasn't personally a fan of tbh).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My understanding is that echo fighters are representatives from the same series. Clones from separate series haven't been seen since Melee, and they were only one set: Ganondorf and Captain Falcon.

Like others have mentioned it'd look weird on the CSS to have, for example, Giygas next to Mewtwo. But then again, clone characters in SSB4 had their designated spot on the CSS (which I wasn't personally a fan of tbh).
It probably wouldn’t look weird anymore though, as the CSS is apparently organized by character number now. If it’s not Giegue it’s Roy.

At this point, I’d take any weirdness for more Earthbound representation.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm surprised that I haven't seen many people hype Ken as an echo fighter. We already have a couple of his themes in Smash 4, he's arguably one of the most iconic clones in fighting games, it'd take little effort to differentiate him from Ryu (moveset wise) while still making him feel true to his own character. He has a similar build, fighting stance, etc. Perhaps the only thing holding him back is that he's third party.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
If we're on the subject of Ike Echo's, why not Magnus from Kid Icarus uprising?

I was always confused as to why they implied Chrom would fight the same as Ike tbh, it didn't seem like it fit. If Chrom is in as an echo, I honestly would prefer a Roy echo. Make Chrom the Lucina to Roy's Marth.
Having Marth's moveset in the game in the game 4th time feels ridiculous. If Chrom doesn't work as an Echo for Ike and the only option that makes sense is to clone Marth again then I'd rather he just stay as Robin's Final Smash. FE has plenty of representation already, Awakening especially.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Having Marth's moveset in the game in the game 4th time feels ridiculous. If Chrom doesn't work as an Echo for Ike and the only option that makes sense is to clone Marth again then I'd rather he just stay as Robin's Final Smash. FE has plenty of representation already, Awakening especially.
This is fair. I honestly forgot that Roy used to be a marth clone now that he got unique moves in smash 4.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
It's not a matter of Ragnell being "special," it's the fact that it's a much heavier sword than Falchion. Ike wields it with one hand, but it's meant to be a two-handed sword, unlike Falchion, which is plainly a one-handed sword. If Chrom were an Ike Echo, he would have to swing Falchion as slowly as Ike does, while Lucina (Who's using the exact same sword) swings it swiftly like Marth. Compare Ike's FSmash to Marth's/Lucina's for example. They both swing their swords down to the ground in an arc, but Ike has to hold his sword over his head with both hands and slam it down, which takes a couple of seconds, while Marth and Lucina swing it down almost immediately with one hand. Why would Chrom swing Falchion so much slower than his daughter? Obviously Chrom's body could match Ike's model just fine, but unless they gave him a random Longsword instead of his signature weapon (Which of course is doubtful), I think his attacks would look super awkward next to Lucina's.
That whole “Ragnell is heavy” stuff was only brought in Brawl if memory serves to justify PoR Ike’s powerful attacks. You’re trying to stick way too much to that “source” when Sakurai himself has mentioned that he takes liberties with characters. If anything, Chrom would be a faster Ike to make himself stand out from Ike’s slowness. Chrom is known as a “rough” fighter and while Awakening mentions that Chrom was the one that taught Lucina how to fight, that was never truly shown in-game aside from a very short scene. Outside of that, she’s just female Marth which became Sakurai’s perfect excuse for making her a “Marth for novice players”.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm surprised that I haven't seen many people hype Ken as an echo fighter. We already have a couple of his themes in Smash 4, he's arguably one of the most iconic clones in fighting games, it'd take little effort to differentiate him from Ryu (moveset wise) while still making him feel true to his own character. He has a similar build, fighting stance, etc. Perhaps the only thing holding him back is that he's third party.
I think Ken is really just a bit too similiar to Ryu without brining anything extra to the table.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
That whole “Ragnell is heavy” stuff was only brought in Brawl if memory serves to justify PoR Ike’s powerful attacks. You’re trying to stick way too much to that “source” when Sakurai himself has mentioned that he takes liberties with characters. If anything, Chrom would be a faster Ike to make himself stand out from Ike’s slowness. Chrom is known as a “rough” fighter and while Awakening mentions that Chrom was the one that taught Lucina how to fight, that was never truly shown in-game aside from a very short scene. Outside of that, she’s just female Marth which became Sakurai’s perfect excuse for making her a “Marth for novice players”.
Well someone on this board earlier mentioned that Ragnell was indeed meant to be a two handed sword in response to me saying something similar, and they seemed to know a whole lot more about the Tellius games then I do, so I thought that was the case. If Ragnell is apparently just as light as Falchion then fair enough, I haven't played Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn to be able to tell. But I was just going off what I thought based off of Dark Pit and Lucina, and as far as I could tell, they have very minimal changes and are almost 1-to-1 with their original counterparts in terms of speed, weight, and attributes like that. I thought that Chrom being an Ike Echo would be the same situation.

I admit I was probably wrong about Ragnell being heavier than Falchion, I should have played the Tellius games or at least watched some gameplay footage before acting like I knew what I was talking about. But from my perspective, if Chrom had to be an Echo of Ike, then his properties and animations would also be mostly 1-to-1. So at that point, it didn't matter whether or not Ragnell was heavier than Falchion in canon, because in Smash, Ike's animations make his sword seem very heavy. So if Chrom were an Echo of Ike, he'd have to have the same animations and same speed that makes his sword seem heavy, at least, that was what I thought.

And my point about Lucina was mainly that since Chrom has a stronger build than her, I figured it would be weird if he was an Ike Echo because of the difference in speed. Lucina swings Falchion with little effort, so I imagined that Chrom being an Ike Echo would mean that he would have those same animations that make it look like he has a slightly harder time wielding the sword while Lucina is able to do so effortlessly. I wasn't thinking that Chrom trained Lucina so it would be weird that their fighting style is different, it was that Chrom has a stronger build than Lucina so it would be weird if his attacks were slower and made the sword seem heavy since she wields the same sword and has no problem swinging it quickly.

But admittedly, everything I said above was just what I was thinking when I wrote that earlier post. I was sort of adamant in thinking that Echoes would have no differences in terms of speed and so on, but upon thinking about it some more, I can't deny that they probably could make them either faster or slower (Though that might require a fair amount of tweaking to make them balanced). We don't know the criteria for Echo fighters yet so we can't say for sure really. I guess Chrom could be an Ike Echo if they altered the speed of his attacks and the animations that make the sword seem heavy. But I'll still contend that doing so is necessary to make him look right next to Lucina, because if he's a Dark Pit (and also Lucina) level of clone, then I still think it would be weird if Chrom swings Falchion slow, while Lucina swings Falchion fast.

Really, I think it would be easier to make him a Roy echo, since Roy's animations seem pretty "rough," but he still swings his sword relatively quickly. All they'd have to do is make his sword the same "Balanced across the whole blade" business as Lucina, slap his model on Roy's, probably change the fire effects, and call it a day. But that would technically be a third derivation of Marth, a seventh Fire Emblem rep, and a third Awakening rep on top of that... so yeah (Also god damn I write way too much at once, sorry for throwing this wall of text at the thread).

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Isn't that the point of Echo characters though?
The way I see it, it's more along the lines of taking a character people want to include and the easiest way to do it is to make them a copy of somebody else.

Choosing Ken seems more like you';re looking for an extra character to be included just so you have a character that's a copy of somebody.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
The way I see it, it's more along the lines of taking a character people want to include and the easiest way to do it is to make them a copy of somebody else.

Choosing Ken seems more like you';re looking for an extra character to be included just so you have a character that's a copy of somebody.
Well I suppose. But Ken is a popular and well known streetfighter character. And since clones are usually made with leftover dev time due to their easy creation I don't think it could be a longshot that Ken could be made a Ryu clone since the connection is right there.

the problem lies in whether the devs want to add another third party street fighter character I think.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Well someone on this board earlier mentioned that Ragnell was indeed meant to be a two handed sword in response to me saying something similar, and they seemed to know a whole lot more about the Tellius games then I do, so I thought that was the case. If Ragnell is apparently just as light as Falchion then fair enough, I haven't played Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn to be able to tell.
Yeah. Ragnell is a heavy ass sword. In Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn it's weight is 20 while most non-legendary/special swords max out at around 10-12

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
While wouldn't expect the Koopalings to be broken up into 8 different Echo fighters, I think it would be cool if they split them into two groups, with one group being the Echo.

Heavy: Bowser Jr., Morton, Roy, Ludwig
Light: Larry, Wendy, Iggy, Lemmy

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
This is how I feel about most clones. Just because someone could be in Smash doesn’t mean that they should be. Giving clones an official name and everything is nice, but I hope they don’t use it as an excuse to add a bunch of characters that are just slight variations of others.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is how I feel about most clones. Just because someone could be in Smash doesn’t mean that they should be. Giving clones an official name and everything is nice, but I hope they don’t use it as an excuse to add a bunch of characters that are just slight variations of others.
It’s not really an excuse when you’re talking about one of the most iconic fighting game characters out there.

(Of course, you could be talking in general and not about Ken, in which case I look like a Rool right now)

Top Bottom