• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Echo Characters"

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't see why Dry Bowser couldn't just be a costume. It's not like the two of them have notable differences besides one being skeletal.

Daisy shouldn't be a costume because she needed her spunky animations vs Peach's dainty ones. Dry Bowser could have all the same animations and movements as regular Bowser and it would be fine.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
giygas as a mewtwo echo and Ninten as an echo for Ness if some one hasnt already posted this tweet

If you want to get a little more crazy you could have Lana from HW be Robins echo character

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Here's some unlikely but probably not impossible suggestions I haven't seen yet.
:ultpokemontrainer:: Gary/Blue/Rival Trainer
:ultfox:: James McCloud
:ultridley:: Robo-Ridley

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Mecha Ridley is gonna be a costume according to the trailer; I guess they didn’t have it ready in time for the demo though.

I like the James McCloud idea either as an echo or an alt costume.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Mecha Ridley is gonna be a costume according to the trailer; I guess they didn’t have it ready in time for the demo though.

I like the James McCloud idea either as an echo or an alt costume.
Robo-Ridley, not Meta-Ridley. Two entirely different things. The former is a robot built by Ridley, the latter is Ridley's cyborg form.

Omniomega

Smash Apprentice
Guys guys I just had an epiphany. So what if.....
250px-Dr._Mario_SSBU.png
+
250px-Luigi_SSBU.png
=
480.jpg

An echo fighter of 2 characters. :crazy:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
giygas as a mewtwo echo and Ninten as an echo for Ness if some one hasnt already posted this tweet

If you want to get a little more crazy you could have Lana from HW be Robins echo character
I've seen this a while back and I'm kinda in love with the idea of Giygas as a Mewtwo Echo.
It's not happening, but I'm still in love with the idea.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Hoping and predicting Impa and Dixie Kong as echo fighters if I can't have them with original movesets. I just want to see them as playable.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Here's my (fairly safe) predictions for likely Echoes:

* Dark Samus (circumstantial evidence points toward this happening)
* Shadow (same as above)
* Chrom (not as likely as others, but a decent fan request. 3 Awakening characters out of 7 FE fighters would be a bit excessive, but it's not outside the realm of possibility)
* Funky Kong (seems weirdly possible. Funky has always been a bit of a wild card, between his surprise addition to Mario Kart Wii and getting his own mode in Tropical Freeze. His proportions with DK are also very close. Maybe just give him a surfboard for his up-B)

I personally don't think any echoes will "cross series" so to speak. If a character is going to be a clone, then they're going to be based off someone from the same series. Melee Ganondorf being the sole exception, and he has become more different with each game.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Here's my (fairly safe) predictions for likely Echoes:

* Dark Samus (circumstantial evidence points toward this happening)
* Shadow (same as above)
* Chrom (not as likely as others, but a decent fan request. 3 Awakening characters out of 7 FE fighters would be a bit excessive, but it's not outside the realm of possibility)
* Funky Kong (seems weirdly possible. Funky has always been a bit of a wild card, between his surprise addition to Mario Kart Wii and getting his own mode in Tropical Freeze. His proportions with DK are also very close. Maybe just give him a surfboard for his up-B)

I personally don't think any echoes will "cross series" so to speak. If a character is going to be a clone, then they're going to be based off someone from the same series. Melee Ganondorf being the sole exception, and he has become more different with each game.
Aside from Chrom, this list looks solid to me (Chrom's sword is way too light for him to be an Echo of Ike, who has a very heavy sword. And I don't think that they'd make a second Echo for Marth, which would make three clones of Marth in total counting Roy).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't see why Dry Bowser couldn't just be a costume. It's not like the two of them have notable differences besides one being skeletal.
Well, in Dry Bowser's first appearance, he's the powered up version of Bowser and has stronger attacks.

But they ARE still fundamentally the same character, so he should just be an alt costume. But if they made Dr. Mario a separate character, I wouldn't be surprised if they made Dry Bowser an Echo.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Ninten as an echo for Ness/Lucas would be a great thing. To have all 3 main protagonists of the trilogy together in the game would be just in time for the trilogy's 30th anniversary next year. Plus, even though PK Flash wasn't in the first game, PK Freeze was, and PK Beam could totally be the final smash with Ana and Lloyd coming in to assist Ninten.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
My Echo Fighter Third Parties

Shadow The Hedgehog
Jeanne
Ken
Ms.Pac Man

Dont be surprise no third parties echo I post because I main all the third partie and I dont want to be left out I want to join the party.

Wouldo

Smash Rookie
:ultsamus:: Dark Samus, currently missing as a color swap and Assist Trophy
:ultsonic:: Shadow, currently missing as an Assist Trophy. Knuckles is a new Assist Trophy

:ultike:: Chrom, currently missing as a color swap. Currently unknown if he's in Robin's Final Smash.
:ultvillager:: Isabelle, currently missing as an Assist Trophy. Playable in Mario Kart 8 alongside Villager
:ultzelda:: Hilda, Zelda's current design is from ALBW/ALttP
:ultsheik:: Impa, fellow Sheikah and recurring character
:ultpikachu:: Raichu, completes the evolution family trio
:ultness:: Ninten, completes the trilogy's protagonist trio
:ultbowser:: Dry Bowser, Bowser's recurring counterpart
:ultdk:: Funky Kong, playable in Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. DK's counterpart in Mario Kart Wii
:ultryu:: Ken, he was an 'Echo Fighter' in Street Fighter
:ultpacman:: Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man's iconic love interest. She also appears in Pac-Land
:ultpalutena:: Medusa, as a 'dark' Echo Fighter. She just needs a shield or something similar for the dash attack
:ultganondorf:: Demise, an incarnation of Ganondorf from Skyward Sword
:ultmewtwo:: Dark Mewtwo, from Pokken Tournament
:ultmetaknight:: Dark Meta Knight, (if he isn't a color swap) playable Dream Friend in Kirby Star Allies
:ultolimar:: Louie, deuteragonist of Pikmin 2. Alph is a color swap
:ultdiddy:: Dixie, Diddy no longer fights with his tail. It would be a shame if Dixie doesn't utilize her ponytail at all
:ultyoshi:: Birdo, the main aesthetic difference would be that she shoots eggs from her snout for her Up-B
:ultfalcon:: Black Shadow or Jody Summer
:ultinkling:: Octoling, with 8 more distinct ink colors
:ultsnake:: Big Boss
:ultmegaman:: Zero
:ultcloud:: Zack
:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne

:ultmario::ultdoc::ultluigi:: already has 3 variants if you count Luigi, I don't think there will be any more.
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:: same as above
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:: same as above
:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy:: same as above
:ultmiifighters:: additional Mii Fighter types seems like the only plausible option
:ultbowserjr:: he already has the Koopalings as color swaps
:ultridley:: Meta Ridley is a color swap

:ultzss::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultpokemontrainer::ultjigglypuff:
:ultduckhunt::ultrob::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultwario::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac:
:ultshulk::ultrobin:ultcorrin:

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
This is the only echo fighter I want right here baby! I'd say he has a pretty decent shot at being added too, since he already meant to add Alph as an echo, but decided against him (since he's dis-confirmed and is still an alt to olimar), possibly giving us a Chrom to Lucina situation in that Chrom was apparently going to be a Marth clone, but eventually decided against it and ended up putting in Lucina instead. Either way, Louie is pretty damn iconic now and is the Luigi of Pikmin.
Louie Smash Ultimate Portrait.jpg

also I'd like Funky Kong.........

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Alph still being an alt is so weird to me. I mean the Koopalings make sense since it's essentially the clown car that's fighting (minus some moves), but Alph deserves his own spot, and it would be such an easy echo to make. Just give him rock pikmin.

Then again maybe since the Pikmin are mainly fighting that's why Alph is only a skin.

Although I think Ms. Pacman would probably be her own character just because they seem to be embracing clones now, and she is relatively popular.
I think alph was kept an alt for the reason of his design kinda just being a blue Olimar. I know I already said this previously, but I think that Louie would make a much better echo than Alph, due to being more iconic and having more physical differences that would warrant differing animations and maybe even a weight change, if echoes are able to do that sort of thing. Regardless, I think he should have the Bulbmin to help round him out as the quintessential "Pikmin 2 Captain." Though, he'll probably just get Rock Pikmin. In a perfect world, Olimar/Alph would have Rock Pikmin added into their own moveset and Louie could be an echo that replaces Rocks with Bulbmin. Oh well.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Daisy shouldn't be a costume because she needed her spunky animations vs Peach's dainty ones. Dry Bowser could have all the same animations and movements as regular Bowser and it would be fine.
Well they can have some differences, I imaigne Dry Bowser would be less livley (HA!) which could be reflected in jis idle and taunts.

Side note: There's a white Bowser costume but the wiki claims it's based on Morton Koopa Jr. I dont' quite see it

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
As cool as that will be, the proportions would look too off.

Especially with an up special like that.
I totally agree. Whenever I imagine an eggman echo fighter, I kinda imagine him as bigger, with proportions modified to fit him. The only thing is that it defeats the purpose of echo fighters, which is that they're relatively easier to make then regular fighters.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Would Mona work as an echo fighter for Wario if they changed the Motorcycle to the vespa she used and the gas mechanic Wario has to a jetpack considering how many careers Mona has had over the course of the series?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

I really like the idea of Giygas as an echo. Especially if Black Shadow gets added as an echo fo Falcon, and K Rool gets in as a unique character. Than all the OG 12 characters have an antagonist/rival in the game

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Would Mona work as an echo fighter for Wario if they changed the Motorcycle to the vespa she used and the gas mechanic Wario has to a jetpack considering how many careers Mona has had over the course of the series?
Wouldn't work. Mona can't dislocate her jaw to devour prey larger than herself.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's too bad Deoxys doesn't have a tail because being a Mewtwo echo might've got him in somehow

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman

Giygas is one of my most wanted echoes because of this tweet, along with Ninten, to a lesser extent. I'm usually against clones of characters hat aren't from the same series, but this is the exception. Right now I'd say Louie, Funky Kong, Giygas and Ninten are all the echoes I'd like to see. I'd say that all of those have a pretty decent chance at being added except for maybe Giygas (sadly).

also, here's a portion of a moveset I found online that's based on Ed Mendoza's idea!

Attachments

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Ooooh, I'd adore that Gigyas echo. Especially that UP SMASH, mmf delicious.

:ultike:: Chrom, currently missing as a color swap. Currently unknown if he's in Robin's Final Smash.
I've been thinking about this. Doesn't Ike have both his Brawl look and his Smash 4 look? Doesn't that mean he only has 4 pallets of each? That would explain the lack of Chrom honestly.

marmite

Smash Rookie
Wanted to come up with some more out there echo ideas which still work

Captain Falcon = Captain Rainbow
Young Link = Prince of Sablé
Ganondorf = Mach Rider
Ganondorf = Zoda (StarTropics)
Zero Suit Samus = Jody Summer
King Dedede = Wart
Villager = Tingle
Bowser Jr = Porky (Earthbound)
Ike = Zael (Last Story)
Mii Fighter (Swordfighter) = Musashi (Sushi Striker)
Mii Fighter (Brawler) = DeMille (Tomato Adventure)
Mii Fighter (Swordfighter) = HarmoKnight
Toon Link = Tetra
Pichu = Plusle/Minun
Mii Fighter (Swordfighter) = Lip (Panel de Pon, replace sword with flower)
Mii Fighter (Brawler) =Donbe (Shin Onigashima)
Mii Fighter (Gunner) = Ray (Custom Robo)
Marth = Pious Augustus (Eternal Darkness)

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
My Echo Fighter Third Parties

Shadow The Hedgehog
Jeanne
Ken
Ms.Pac Man

Dont be surprise no third parties echo I post because I main all the third partie and I dont want to be left out I want to join the party.
I think third parties hold the best characters with respect to the ease of being an Echo. For instance, Big Boss (Naked Snake) could be an Echo of Snake.

Yet, with the exception of Shadow the hedgehog, I don't think we'll get any. Nintendo probably doesn't want the game diluted, and similarly, third parties want their characters in the game to whet appetites for their games, not to replace it (in the case of a Ken Echo Fighter, Capcom would rather us buy Street Fighter Anniversary).

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Giygas is one of my most wanted echoes because of this tweet, along with Ninten, to a lesser extent. I'm usually against clones of characters hat aren't from the same series, but this is the exception. Right now I'd say Louie, Funky Kong, Giygas and Ninten are all the echoes I'd like to see. I'd say that all of those have a pretty decent chance at being added except for maybe Giygas (sadly).

also, here's a portion of a moveset I found online that's based on Ed Mendoza's idea!
This is excellent and I love it!

Also, since Ninten was brought up as an Echo of Ness;
He could even work with an Olimar/Alph or a BJ/Koopaling treatment. Change the hair a little, maybe make the voice a bit different and the announcer calls out a different name if you select him.
Super easy to implement and adds representation to a whole game!

...I still don't see it happening.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't know where things are going to fall in terms of Echo fighter vs costume. If we retain Alph as a costume for Olimar, then that begs the question of what makes for the qualification of an Echo over just the costume swaps. Is that decision just made on popularity? They continue to be in a weird place I think. It might also be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think we'll actually see too many echo fighters in the game. I feel like they were incorporated by Sakurai as a way to shut people up about clones and roster spots. Beyond that, he decided to make a couple for characters that could easily be a clone and he didn't see as much personal potential in.

Don't get me wrong, I love Daisy in as Peach's echo, but I don't want to see a ton of them either. Really the main one i support is Isabelle as an echo of Villager. Just changes her animations to more cutesy and expressive, and it's a way to get an Animal Crossing rep in without necessarily having to go through the process of making a whole new character.

I could see Jeanne for Bayonetta, Shadow for Sonic, and maybe Black Shadow for Captain Falcon in. Dark Samus feels a little odd when we finally got Ridley anyway, and anybody who actually really wants Dark Samus doesn't want that character as just an Echo I believe. Feels more like people just want to be right in predictions. Ninten is maybe an alt costume in my mind. I'm not sure Ninten has the fan base to justify full echo status, and Earthbound seems to already be getting a lot of attention in other areas. That might be slightly more supportive of him as an Echo, but I don't think the original Mother really has the cult status of the other two at this point (Could be wrong on that though). Chrom seems like one too many Awakening characters, Fire Emblem desperately needs more diversity in the character lineup too. A nod to fans is fine, and I'm not opposed, but his reasons for not being included in the last game make me doubt Sakurai would include him anyway.

marmite

Smash Rookie
Really think there are going to be more echos then people think, just so Nintendo have more amiibos to sell

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Really think there are going to be more echos then people think, just so Nintendo have more amiibos to sell
Considering how much the amiibo bubble has burst, I doubt that. They already have 10 additional ones to sell, plus whatever new characters are in the game we don't know about and DLC. Plenty of amiibo from that, especially when you barely see Amiibo in stores anymore. I think amiibo are just the extra little bit of income for Nintendo, especially when the Switch itself is doing so well.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
This is excellent and I love it!

Also, since Ninten was brought up as an Echo of Ness;
He could even work with an Olimar/Alph or a BJ/Koopaling treatment. Change the hair a little, maybe make the voice a bit different and the announcer calls out a different name if you select him.
Super easy to implement and adds representation to a whole game!

...I still don't see it happening.
Indeed! I love seeing all of these Giygas movesets everywhere! It has inspired myself to make one of my own as well, so I will post it here once I finish it. The image itself won't really be a moveset, however, but more of a schematic showcasing whichever moves and properties change the most from Mewtwo's.

Also I agree about Ninten, he would definitely be easy to make. Though I must say that both Ninten and Giygas' odds are much better in my opinion than seemingly yours, as Earthbound Beginnings had just release worldwide in 2015, just in time for the roster finalization.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Aside from Chrom, this list looks solid to me (Chrom's sword is way too light for him to be an Echo of Ike, who has a very heavy sword. And I don't think that they'd make a second Echo for Marth, which would make three clones of Marth in total counting Roy).
Ragnell isn’t really too special. It’s just a strong sword. The whole thing behind Chrom becoming Ike’s Echo Fighter is more about Chrom being a “rough” fighter like Ike which is why Viridi brought it up in Smash 4.

NicePebble

Smash Rookie
Wow I feel unoriginal/uncreative now looking at this thread. I can find every one of the characters I put on My List . I love the idea of James McCloud and Isaak. Geeze everyone on here really covered all the bases.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Ragnell isn’t really too special. It’s just a strong sword. The whole thing behind Chrom becoming Ike’s Echo Fighter is more about Chrom being a “rough” fighter like Ike which is why Viridi brought it up in Smash 4.
It's not a matter of Ragnell being "special," it's the fact that it's a much heavier sword than Falchion. Ike wields it with one hand, but it's meant to be a two-handed sword, unlike Falchion, which is plainly a one-handed sword. If Chrom were an Ike Echo, he would have to swing Falchion as slowly as Ike does, while Lucina (Who's using the exact same sword) swings it swiftly like Marth. Compare Ike's FSmash to Marth's/Lucina's for example. They both swing their swords down to the ground in an arc, but Ike has to hold his sword over his head with both hands and slam it down, which takes a couple of seconds, while Marth and Lucina swing it down almost immediately with one hand. Why would Chrom swing Falchion so much slower than his daughter? Obviously Chrom's body could match Ike's model just fine, but unless they gave him a random Longsword instead of his signature weapon (Which of course is doubtful), I think his attacks would look super awkward next to Lucina's.

Last edited:

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
If we're on the subject of Ike Echo's, why not Magnus from Kid Icarus uprising?

I was always confused as to why they implied Chrom would fight the same as Ike tbh, it didn't seem like it fit. If Chrom is in as an echo, I honestly would prefer a Roy echo. Make Chrom the Lucina to Roy's Marth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom