• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EBGames/Gamestop Release Tournaments?

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
So apparently hundreds of stores nationwide are going to have midnight releases and tourneys. Anyone know exactly how it's going to be coordinated? Or any more specific info for that matter? Like what winners will get, rules, etc. Sorry if this has been discussed already, my search skills are slow right now, so if that's the case I'd appreciate some redirection.

Thanks in advance.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Hey it's you. A rumor? Not likely. I've been to at least 4 EBGames/Gamestops around my area (Berkeley, San Francisco, San Pablo) and they all confirmed that they are having midnight releases and tournaments. I was just wondering if anyone here had more info. I'm sure it'll be filled with newbs and n00bs but hey, it seems like a fun event with everyone getting their copy, more like a celebration.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
A person from Gamefaqs has posted info about the tourney. It'll be on Melee, not Brawl... I called the Gamestop I'll be preordering from and it confirmed this info: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=41084826

As (hopefully) all of you know, Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be released on March 9th (in the States, anyway). 2500 Gamestop and EBGames stores will be holding a midnight launch sale of the game. The only stores that definitely won't be doing this are stores that are centered inside malls, in which case they would have to pay fees for security, which apparently won't offset the edge of having a midnight release.

Stores having a midnight launch will also be hosting tournaments at around 9:00 pm on March 8th, 2008, a few hours prior to the game's launch. Be aware that game will NOT be sold to anyone before 12:01 am on March 9th, 2008.
(I do not know if stores that are NOT having midnight launches will host tournaments. My guess is that they will not, because of all the confusion there would be if it were to be held)

The tournaments being held in stores will be tiered. The first tournament will be held on March 8th, 2008.

The winners of that tournament will move on to a district-wide tournament held on March 15th, 2008 in the store of the choosing of the district management (probably the best store in the district). Districts are usually separated just like counties.

The winners of the District Tournament will move on to a region-wide tournament held on March 29th, 2008. As with the District Tournament, management teams will select the best store in the region to hold the tournament. Regions are usually separated just like states.

The Top 8 people in all of the Regional Tournaments will be flown to San Jose, California, to compete in the National Tournament on April 12th, 2008.

Prizes will be awarded by Nintendo at each tournament stage. Gamestop and EBGames stores will also be giving prizes at the District and Regional Tournaments.

Keep in mind that these tournaments end events are sponsored by Nintendo.

That's all the information I have about the tournaments. I will update this topic (or make a new) if I find out any more information regarding the tournaments.

Also, on another note, Gamestop will be receiving the launch kits on February 25th. If they're going to send us a demo of the game, it will probably arrive then. But don't expect it to be playable then. The 26th is a safe bet, though.

And, one last thing, the tournaments held in the store will be on the official game, not the demo.

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them as best as I can.

P.S. Let's see if we can sticky this. ^_^

AskWhy2008

Smash Rookie
I am glad Nintendo is doing this, the last tourney if I remember correctly was the Journey Across America for Pokemon. This will be the last hoorah for Melee considering the huge difference between it and Brawl.

I will come to win >: )

quinn95

Smash Journeyman
they sayd they still were wating for something but its most likely going to happen

A Big Galoot

Smash Rookie
Wait, it's a Melee tourney?

Aww, I was looking forward to playing a Brawl Tournament.

This is the national one you're talking about, yes?
Local - District - Regional - National

Yes?

Koko

Smash Rookie
Well, EB Games in my area(Redmond WA) is holding their tournament on March 2nd. And its a 4 Stock match on FD. Thats all i know of so far :]

EDIT: And they also mentioned that the Prize will be most likely a copy of Brawl.

Weed

Smash Lord
Hey it's you. A rumor? Not likely. I've been to at least 4 EBGames/Gamestops around my area (Berkeley, San Francisco, San Pablo) and they all confirmed that they are having midnight releases and tournaments. I was just wondering if anyone here had more info. I'm sure it'll be filled with newbs and n00bs but hey, it seems like a fun event with everyone getting their copy, more like a celebration.
O_O

newbs AND n00bs?!

Man, I gotta get me some of that.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Hey thanks for clearing that up AKC12. Hm, it might not be so amateur afterall. I forgot that it was gonna be sponsored by Nintendo. Which normally means the best of the best will be competing. Not sure about my area, but I'm sure alot of the better players will be there. I'm not sure if I should be taking this seriously though.. I'm more excited for Brawl's release. Maybe the later events will be in Brawl? It would be pretty neat though to win the tournament, or at least get as far as the top 8. Hm.. I wonder. I might not even be able to get a chance to play though, seeing as the place I reserved it at will be packed. Decisions decisions. Well, what can I lose right? Hell I'll try and join this thing. Why not.

And I agree, someone should sticky this. It IS sponsored by Nintendo, which makes it one official tourney. Pretty big one too in my opinion.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I work at the EB Games in Largo, MD.

I'll be quitting in the next week, but I know we're having a tourny the night before. Also, I think my manager said we should be getting something around Feb 24 around that time.

Awesome.

Chrnocide

Smash Apprentice
But to have the winners head to nationals? lol.. they'll be at nationals playing like their 4 match of Brawl EVER. >_> ..

Minty

Smash Apprentice
Hm I wonder if they have one @ Chicago. If people know these streets on lincoln & McCormick.. The gamestop we have there is pretty small.. So i dont know if it accomodate a lot of people for a tourny o_O.. But i'll be glad to go to one

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Sounds awesome. I'm glad those demos are coming. Goodbye Melee, hello Brawl. But I will stay play with SSB2 to remember by its flaws and the 4 (or 5) characters they said goodbye to for updated spiritual incarnations and revised originals, ala Ike and Lucario and Toon Link and of course Mario and Pikachu.

Also, I'm getting to play the demo early. The store here in California nearby my place said its getting it on the 23rd. I don't know about other regions, but the reserves are well out of Gamestop here in this state. Hope the rest of you decided to get it at Circuit City and Wal Mart and Target and whatever store that will be selling Brawl right off the shelf on the first week, or should I say first month, because I sure know now that I'm not alone when it comes to liking playing Smash Bros. :D

Thanos

Smash Rookie
any word on if this is going down for canada also. or at least ontario.

Cheerio

Smash Cadet
i just called in a couple of them in my area. The store employees seemed completely oblivious in 2 of the stores i called. In the bigger store the guy actually talked to his manager for me and he said that they aren't actually hosting it themselves but a group sent by corporate is going to manage everything. I really hope its not FFA.....

X Megadragon

Smash Cadet
I called Gamestop just now, and they're clueless. o_o

I asked if they would use SSBB or SSBM, and they "didn't know". They said to call later. <.<

Cheerio

Smash Cadet
I hope its not really disorganized...some of these stores are the size of a small room inside malls and i don't understand how they can hold a tournament in there unless they have it at a different venue inside the mall they are at.

S2

Smash Lord
Awesome, my store is doing one.

Plus I've played the game on the import copy, so I'm playing Olimar. Let's just hope using the Wiimote/chuck isn't too awkward, since I've only used the GC controller (I don't have Brawl, a friend does).

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
I will be checking the G.S. in my area to see how they are going to do things. I will share my information with the rest of yous when I recieve the aformentioned info.

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
ll you need to do to see the list is save the link for the list on this page http://www.ebgames.com/gs/ssbb/tournament/default.asp

Right click on the link then go to save link as pick the folder you want it in put it there then DL it after that go into the folder you saved it to and open it and there you go you have the list for all 50 states and the locations of the tournys

wing zrow

Smash Lord
Definitely be going, i won my local pokemon battle revolution tournament when gamestop hosted that so if i win this too I'm sure I'm going to be able to piss off allot of people :)

bearquat3

Smash Rookie
My gamestop was clueless about it and said they were holding a melee tournament that only people who preordered could enter. Guess it will be to their suprise when they hear about this, and they are on the list...

Deathknight

Smash Ace
I really hope it's a Melee tourny, I don't want a Brawl tourny. Brawl is too new and right now there isn't really any competition in it for that reason.

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
Classic Controllers. Hurrah for being supplied with controllers that you aren't familiar with.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I'm falling trap to Nintendo's scheme of making people buy Classic Controllers.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
That's why I don't even plan on competing unless there's less than 20 people there. I already had my share of so-so tourneys with the recent Nintendo SSBB tourney anyway. I'll just pick up my game and go home and, well, be one of the millions of people brawling their Wiis out.

Top Bottom