• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 speculation: Any more to come?

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Will Nintendo even E3 this year? they already said last year that they thought it to be a waste of money.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Will Nintendo even E3 this year? they already said last year that they thought it to be a waste of money.
Eh? I don't remember them saying that. :/ All I remember is that they said 'just because they didn't have a show, it doesn't mean they won't be next time'. They will be at E3 of course, that's a given. And I expect a Show presentation instead of a Direct this time~

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nintendo needs to impress at E3 this year. Sony and MS's launches didn't have a lot of killer apps so they'll be bringing the big guns.

All we know for sure is Zelda WiiU will be there along with something Smash.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Nintendo needs to impress at E3 this year. Sony and MS's launches didn't have a lot of killer apps so they'll be bringing the big guns.

All we know for sure is Zelda WiiU will be there along with something Smash.
AFAIK PS4/XBone have even less killer apps on the burner than release.

And when has a MS E3 presentation not been a Smorgasbord of ****ty "rember i exist" Kinect games?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hoping for a Smash demo of some kind.

Remember to take everything from it with a grain of salt if it happens though. Remember when we thought tripping was an exciting new dodge mechanic?

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
It'd be folly not to provide a release date during E3 this year. This year is passing pretty damn quickly.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It'd be folly not to provide a release date during E3 this year. This year is passing pretty damn quickly.
Indeed. We are already 1/4th of the way through the year, after all. Not really all THAT far, but still, it's proof that the year is flying by. If there isn't a release announcement at E3, I honestly have no idea when it'd get announced.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
E3: Yarn Yoshi. Kirby U. Smash Bros. Mario Sports game. X. Metroid 3ds. Hyrule warriors. Mario Party 10. Starfox or F-Zero for Wii U or 3ds. Nintendo Land 2.

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure the big N will appear on stage this year, as last year they decided not to was because of the main focus were on the new upcoming consoles.

As for what they'll be showcasing this year, i'm pretty sure we'll get a new trailer and a release date. Maaybe they'll reveal the final title for the game. (I really hope the current title is just a placeholder name)

As for other games they might be talking about i speculate it will be X, Bayonetta 2, Zelda Wii U, Yarn Yoshi, Nintendo IP's being worked on by third parties, Retro's new project and possibly Miyamoto-san's new IP he's been working on.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hoping for a Smash demo of some kind.

Remember to take everything from it with a grain of salt if it happens though. Remember when we thought tripping was an exciting new dodge mechanic?
Wait, who thought that? I remember there being a huge blowout over it when it was first revealed. People were pissed and most either were in denial about how bad it was going to be or thought the people who actually played the demo in late 2007 were lying about it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wait, who thought that? I remember there being a huge blowout over it when it was first revealed. People were pissed and most either were in denial about how bad it was going to be or thought the people who actually played the demo in late 2007 were lying about it.
I think it was given the name of Ink Dropping around E3 (Technically E for All) and it was only later when more people played it they realized it was random. And Bad.

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
I cant remember did we get 2 E3 trailers for Brawl I can only remember the initial trailer which does not guarantee us a trailer at all this E3

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think it was given the name of Ink Dropping around E3 (Technically E for All) and it was only later when more people played it they realized it was random. And Bad.
Ah, so people thought it was a good thing... interesting.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Indeed. We are already 1/4th of the way through the year, after all. Not really all THAT far, but still, it's proof that the year is flying by. If there isn't a release announcement at E3, I honestly have no idea when it'd get announced.
If there aint one at E3 i will kinda think the game will be delayed to 2015...

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
I cant remember did we get 2 E3 trailers for Brawl I can only remember the initial trailer which does not guarantee us a trailer at all this E3
Brawl got it's second Trailer during SpaceWorld in 2007, i think it's safe to say we're getting a new trailer sometime soon. Most likely during E3.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Most likely we'll see a release date. Iwata and Sakurai have reiterated it'll be out this year a few times now. And I expect we'll see a new trailer and at least two newcomers.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Most likely we'll see a release date. Iwata and Sakurai have reiterated it'll be out this year a few times now. And I expect we'll see a new trailer and at least two newcomers.
You take a little Chrom and Mewtwo, add a dash of Palutena, throw in a release date, then serve at E3. That my friend, is the recipe for success.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
You take a little Chrom and Mewtwo, add a dash of Palutena, throw in a release date, then serve at E3. That my friend, is the recipe for success.
I'd replace either Palutena or Chrom with Ridley honestly- E3 is a western event. Ridley is absurdly popular here compared to Japan. Besides, i see either of those two being revealed during April's inevitable Direct.
Exzactly all this but i also expect they will be a playable demo there for people.
I'd love to see a demo, but i'm not holding my breath for one.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
There's gotta be a demo. Especially after last years plethora of demo's.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
There's gotta be a demo. Especially after last years plethora of demo's.
Well, i could see a demo happening if the release date is announced and it's close. If it's a Q4 release, then i wouldn't be too sure. But if it's a surprise Summer or Fall release, then maybe. I mean, last year they had the Mario vs Megaman gameplay without it being a demo on the show floor.

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
I'd replace either Palutena or Chrom with Ridley honestly- E3 is a western event. Ridley is absurdly popular here compared to Japan. Besides, i see either of those two being revealed during April's inevitable Direct.
But newcomers for Smash have usually been based on their popularity in Japan, that's why characters like Marth, Roy and Lucas have appeared in Smash.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
But newcomers for Smash have usually been based on their popularity in Japan, that's why characters like Marth, Roy and Lucas have appeared in Smash.
I agree with you to a degree- in the past newcomers have been popular in Japan. Little Mac is virtually unknown there.

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you to a degree- in the past newcomers have been popular in Japan. Little Mac is virtually unknown there.
Yeah Little Mac is probably the first newcomer based on popularity in the west. Which opens opportunities for more maybe, but characters i'm hoping for most are popular in Japan like Lip, who is virtually unknown in the west. Overall i think the democracy for new characters is important for both the west and Japan.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Yeah Little Mac is probably the first newcomer based on popularity in the west. Which opens opportunities for more maybe, but characters i'm hoping for most are popular in Japan like Lip, who is virtually unknown in the west. Overall i think the democracy for new characters is important for both the west and Japan.
I think it's fair to say since we got Little Mac, Japan should get a popular Japanese rep. And if we get Ridley, they should get a second. Takamaru and Lip are fine choices for the two reps.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I h

I'd love to see a demo, but i'm not holding my breath for one.
i hear you but brawl got one but i agree it is 50/50...eh....maybe 60/40

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Well, i could see a demo happening if the release date is announced and it's close. If it's a Q4 release, then i wouldn't be too sure. But if it's a surprise Summer or Fall release, then maybe. I mean, last year they had the Mario vs Megaman gameplay without it being a demo on the show floor.
. Dkctf had a demo but didnt come out for another 8 months. Yea that fight was just a publicity stunt. Just trying to get hype. Also it probably wasn't ready for public play yet. There are already rumors of a demo existing so when e3 comes around we'll see if they are true.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
. Dkctf had a demo but didnt come out for another 8 months. Yea that fight was just a publicity stunt. Just trying to get hype. Also it probably wasn't ready for public play yet. There are already rumors of a demo existing so when e3 comes around we'll see if they are true.
My only issue is DKCTF was pushed- it was supposed to be out for November. I had it reserved and wasn't too happy when i got that call...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
From E3 I can forsee:

Safe-ish bets:
X given a name
Bayonetta 2 given a release date
No More Heroes 3 reveal
Zelda Wii U
Miyamoto's New Game
Retro's new Metroid
More Zelda Muso info
More Sonic Boom info
Pokkén the fighters

Riskier:
Mario Party U
Dragon Quest Seeds of Salvation and/or Luminaires of the Legendary Line (X/VII?)
Bravely Second info
New 3D Mario (Galaxy style, rather than 3D world style)
DS and/or N64 Virtual Console
Some of the 3rd party developers Nintendo IPs

An Indie section including atleast:
Knite & The Ghost Lights
Churbles/Soul Saga [I doubt both, but maybe, depends how many other games included]
A Hat In Time [almost certainly the last of the section for added hype]

Risky, but I think have a good chance for various reasons:
Fatal Frame 5 OR Spirit Camera 2 [not both]
Castlevania Lords of Shadow Collection: Ultimate Edition (Wii U)
Itadaki/Fortune/Boom Street 3D and/or U (Super Mario x Dragon Quest 2) [possible Geno reveal]
Chou Jigen Action Neptune U

Smash:
Shulk and Ridley to line up with the previous news.

and either:
Mewtwo OR
A third party, either Pac-Man or Slime. I'd put forward Layton, but I doubt he has anything to link his reveal, Simon Belmont's a shot too, but I think he'd be less likely than the main 2.

I think Nintendo's going to be bringing a big show... and probably win E3 again like they did with Smash last year... and with Cranky Kong at VGA... How are Nintendo not sweeping the floor this generation?

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
From E3 I can forsee:

Safe-ish bets:
X given a name
Bayonetta 2 given a release date
No More Heroes 3 reveal
Zelda Wii U
Miyamoto's New Game
Retro's new Metroid
More Zelda Muso info
More Sonic Boom info
Pokkén the fighters

Riskier:
Mario Party U
Dragon Quest Seeds of Salvation and/or Luminaires of the Legendary Line (X/VII?)
Bravely Second info
New 3D Mario (Galaxy style, rather than 3D world style)
DS and/or N64 Virtual Console
Some of the 3rd party developers Nintendo IPs

An Indie section including atleast:
Knite & The Ghost Lights
Churbles/Soul Saga [I doubt both, but maybe, depends how many other games included]
A Hat In Time [almost certainly the last of the section for added hype]

Risky, but I think have a good chance for various reasons:
Fatal Frame 5 OR Spirit Camera 2 [not both]
Castlevania Lords of Shadow Collection: Ultimate Edition (Wii U)
Itadaki/Fortune/Boom Street 3D and/or U (Super Mario x Dragon Quest 2) [possible Geno reveal]
Chou Jigen Action Neptune U

Smash:
Shulk and Ridley to line up with the previous news.

and either:
Mewtwo OR
A third party, either Pac-Man or Slime. I'd put forward Layton, but I doubt he has anything to link his reveal, Simon Belmont's a shot too, but I think he'd be less likely than the main 2.

I think Nintendo's going to be bringing a big show... and probably win E3 again like they did with Smash last year... and with Cranky Kong at VGA... How are Nintendo not sweeping the floor this generation?
Nintendo won last E3 beacuse of Smash?

The trailer was pretty crap tbh...except Megaman......villager was cool too.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It was a great trailer, really high quality, cleverly writen and very well made (far far more so than the frankly appalling Brawl trailer). It got a lot of attention, and continued to keep that attention for a good while. Nintendo didn't exactly win last E3 because the PS4 v XBone arguments got more traffic, but in my advertising company it's generally considered a Nintendo victory because Smash got about as much traffic as the entire Xbox games library combined, and managed to smoothly outdo Final Fantasy 15.

It's pretty close between Sony and Nintendo mind you, and it is pretty even a split on who thinks who won, but given they bought a new console to the table they made a worse deal of what they had, and struggled to differentiate themselves from Microsoft.

If you read pure traffic mind you Microsoft actually won, but mainly because of people complaining about the XBone, which far far fewer count as a win. There is truth in 'any press is good press' though, so I can understand the mentality of calling it an XBone win.

I guess it was pretty much a draw.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
follow me with this ok
e3 2014
"and one last thing"
trailer plays...samus battles metriods, omgz new metroid game. Ridley busts in. RIDLEY CONFIRMED!
trolled to thinking a metriod game is coming out.

I think people would literarly loose thier minds

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, if we're predicting all of Nintendo's E3...

Besides the obvious, we'll see:
Retro AND Miamoto's new IP.
The real Zelda U... As a single picture ala SS.
A sequel to something unexpected, like Takamaru's series.
A new eshop series, like 3D classics.
MK8 DLC, with a free character update.
A new 3D Mario hinted at.
(No new Metroid/F-Zero/Starfox please understand.)

Then for SSB:
A 'meh' newcomer like Mii.
A good fifteen seconds of Mewtwo beating up said newcomer.
A smallish Ridley on Pyrosphere with three other characters.
Five more vets. (Mother character, Yoshi, Wario, and Brawl newcomers people wanted to be cut.)
A newcomer from something so obscure, nobody can tell what it's from, and has about two minutes of HYPE.

Afterward, Iwata will say the SSB website will be updated into something more in depth like Brawl's, but it'll take a week. (To drag out the Ridley discussion of course.)

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Hey, whatever happened to that Zelda Sonic Lost World DLC? That will probably show up at E3 too.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
New F-Zero, New Star Fox, Metroid Prime 4, Zelda U, Nintendo x Sega, SMT x FE not canceled, Official Mother 4, every character ever confirmed for Smash 4, Wii U blessed by Jesus and sells 100 million units.

Trust me, my dad works at Nintendo.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
New F-Zero, New Star Fox, Metroid Prime 4, Zelda U, Nintendo x Sega, SMT x FE not canceled, Official Mother 4, every character ever confirmed for Smash 4, Wii U blessed by Jesus and sells 100 million units.

Trust me, my dad works at Nintendo.
Please be right hope your dad is telling the truth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom