• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 speculation: Any more to come?

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
My favorite part in that video is always the one where the crowd goes wild for Ridley when they see him face Samus. I know I would've reacted the same way if I was there.

Its a shame he wasn't playable back then. :(
They weren't cheering for Ridley, they were cheering for a high quality Samus model; Samus hadn't been on a console game in ages at that point.

R0Y

Smash Master
My favorite part in that video is always the one where the crowd goes wild for Ridley when they see him face Samus. I know I would've reacted the same way if I was there.

A wrong will be righted 13 years later.

They weren't cheering for Ridley, they were cheering for a high quality Samus model; Samus hadn't been on a console game in ages at that point.
No way. Samus was in the original Smash which was just over 2 years old at E3 2001. They probably figured it was a Bowser scenario. He was also announced in that same trailer along with Zelda, Sheik, and Peach.

Last edited:

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice

I thought it was that they got wild for Samus. I mean, they cheered quite a bit when you saw her play in-game shortly afterwards.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I thought it was that they got wild for Samus. I mean, they cheered quite a bit when you saw her play in-game shortly afterwards.
It could be that they were cheering for both. But I doubt it was just Samus, for she was already playable in the last Super Smash Bros. game. Ridley, on the other hand, was a major darkhorse in the fanbase even back then, and when people saw him there they most likely thought he was a newly confirmed newcomer.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
It could be that they were cheering for both. But I doubt it was just Samus, for she was already playable in the last Super Smash Bros. game. Ridley, on the other hand, was a major darkhorse in the fanbase even back then, and when people saw him there they most likely thought he was a newly confirmed newcomer.
Well sadly, I still think he's not going to be a newcomer. I was all but certain that the Nintendo Direct video just confirmed that he will be a boss in one of the modes. But I dunno, if Sakurai is wacky enough to include some of the characters in the Gematsu leak, it just might be possible.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
You know, I'm thinking it's highly likely that we get a character reveal at E3 that none of us could even possibly predict. Like, one from an unannounced IP (Miyamoto's for instance), or a character (maybe the villain) from the new Zelda Wii U game.

That was great. Thanks for posting. I can't believe the reaction Ridley got even back then!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It just occurred to me, after E3 is over this thread will probably be locked.

I made myself sad.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Last I've checked, E3 is on Tuesday, not Monday. Therefore, we actually have "5" days left until E3.
Technically it starts on Tuesday but there are a couple of conferences on the Monday. Besides, when we get closer I'll start counting down to the Nintendo Conference.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Nintendo E3 2014 Speculation: 5 days until E3

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Technically it starts on Tuesday but there are a couple of conferences on the Monday. Besides, when we get closer I'll start counting down to the Nintendo Conference.
OH! For the longest time I was wondering why the countdown here seemed to be skipping ahead halfway through the day. I kept thinking you were basing the time by Japan (ahead of the US) or something. That explains a lot.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I was wondering about the day count too... but be it 5 or 4 days, it's still next to nothing and it keeps getting closer! Funny how time flies.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm thinking that we might get Shulk at E3.

It would be mainly to advertise X, cause some hype for X by revealing the face of Xenoblade.

I still think that the characters stick out of their rectangles for a reason, so I feel that we'll get Mewtwo and Pac as well.

Not that I ever really doubted they would be shown at E3 to begin with.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm thinking that we might get Shulk at E3.

It would be mainly to advertise X, cause some hype for X by revealing the face of Xenoblade.

I still think that the characters stick out of their rectangles for a reason, so I feel that we'll get Mewtwo and Pac as well.

Not that I ever really doubted they would be shown at E3 to begin with.
That sure would be nice.

Shulk, Palutena or K. Rool sounds good to me. I already expect Pac-Mii, so something I'm really looking forward to would be a nice surprise.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Now let's just hope and pray that Snake does return... with the glorious voice of David Hayter stating "Kept you waiting, huh?"
IT'D BE GREAT BECAUSE HE ACTUALLY DID KEEP US WAITING UNLIKE IN BRAWL WHERE HE WAS REVEALED RIGHT AWAY. *shot*

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
They were cheering for Samus, not Ridley :I
How do you know that? Were you there that day? How can you prove to me that they were cheering for a Smash veteran and not a newcomer that most of them probably liked, but didn't expect?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Neither of you could prove who was cheering for who, lol.
It could go either way, but I highly doubt they went wild for a veteran they already knew was returning for that game. Also, they didn't cheer again when they Samus appeared again, I checked.

Anyways, changing the topic. I think it's more likely that we're getting more veterans revealed at E3 with only one newcomer added to the roster. At this rate, Sakurai seems more content on filler pics (apart from the new Wii U stage) than going further into detail about each character.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I really doubt we are getting only one newcomer, unless there isn't more than one newcomer to reveal. The 3DS version will be released soon, after all.

Dairz

Smash Ace
It could go either way, but I highly doubt they went wild for a veteran they already knew was returning for that game. Also, they didn't cheer again when they Samus appeared again, I checked.
No, they did. It was when they were showcasing the characters at the end. Doesn't matter anyways because arguing about who was cheered for at an event 13 years ago is silly.

Hopefully we'll see 2-3 newcomers. ONE newcomer for E3, of all things, would be kinda lame.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Well think about it this way. In Melee we had a handful of hidden newcomers didn't we? I know in Brawl we only had like five hidden newcomers. Do you guys think we will have more hidden newcomers than announced ones? Or less hidden than announced ones?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I have a better chance at marrying Eliza Dushku than there only being one newcomer revealed at E3.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I'm still going with 8 characters for/around E3. 4 Vets, and 4 Newcomers.

Ridley, PacMan, Palutena, Mii, and Wario, MetaKnight, Cpt. Falcon, Ice Climbers. ^^

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Uh, were you wearing earmuffs during 3:03 - 3:13? Because yes they did. And noticeably louder than anyone else who appeared before her.

People can be happy for their veterans returning and looking more badass, can't they? But as others have said before, we can't prove who they were happy about. I mean, I'd be cheering if Captain Falcon returned to SSB4, not the F-Zero rival he might happen to be fighting with in a cutscene.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm thinking 2 or 3 newcomers, plus Mewtwo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Check out the comments on IGN and GameSpot about this. Half of them says Iwata is faking cuz' he's afraid of the PS4, and the other half wishes Sakurai will die from it.

Gotta love them people.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Check out the comments on IGN and GameSpot about this. Half of them says Iwata is faking cuz' he's afraid of the PS4, and the other half wishes Sakurai will die from it.

Gotta love them people.
Gamespot harbours a lot of console war fanboy crap, which isn't particularly helped by the site's journalists posting misleading titles about subjects. My console wars ended last generation - I want all three companies to survive in the console world, as I find appeal in each one in their own ways.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Not sure if mentioned yet but there's a bit of new E3 info:

https://www.facebook.com/2241731377...4173137756374/285719644935056/?type=1&theater

"In addition to the 16 skilled players that will be competing at the Super Smash Bros. Invitational at E3, we'll also be holding a special exhibition match starring four media outlets from around the world!"
That's it, I'm convinced. There will be a newcomer announcement during or at the end of the Invitational. The opportunity is simply too good to pass up.

Top Bottom