• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

During which Super Smash Bros. Game did you feel there were too many characters?

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
You can answer this question any way you want. Maybe you felt this way by the release of Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U or 3DS. Maybe you felt this way during the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Perhaps you never felt this way and you are fine with the way the roster is right now in Ultimate. Maybe you felt this way when Melee was released or when Brawl was released? Heck, if you want, you could even say you felt there were too many characters back when the original Super Smash Bros. game for the Nintendo 64 released. Just state your case or argument and share your perspective.

I must confess, I never felt there were too many characters until around the time Super Smash Bros. for the Wii and 3DS released. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed those games and I definitely enjoyed Ultimate especially considering some of my most wanted characters are now in Ultimate, but at the same time, I realized I started doing things I had never done before for the original Smash game, Melee, and Brawl, which is writing down each character on a piece of paper, listing them, and writing which ones will be my mains, which I would use frequently, which I would use occasionally, and which I would rarely use. I also wrote all the different match-ups and that took quite a while to figure out; which match-ups I like and which I would avoid. Growing up, I got used to seeing fighting games usually having around 20-50 characters. I recall playing the arcade version of Tekken 3 a bunch of times, that had 21 characters and the original Dragon Ball Z Budokai game I played for the PlayStation 2 had around 21 characters. I enjoyed playing Soul Calibur 2 for the GameCube and that one had 25 characters. Now with some of the newer fighting games, especially with DLC, my approach to these games and matches has changed over time.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I dont think you can have Too Many Characters in a fighting game BUT I think we never needed to get a everyone is here!
I mean i like Toon and Young link but you really only need toon link you also dont need pichu in the game!

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman

i can answer this question whichever way i want.

and i thought melee had so little of characters i didnt want.

i wanted toad. koopa troppa. a better mewtwo. for pichu to not take damage. not so many clones.

etc.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I didn't really start paying attention to balance and game design until Ultimate, so Ultimate, but Smash's bloat problem dates back to 3DS/Wii U, possibly even Brawl. How balanced Ultimate is is impressive, especially with the series' track record, but at the same time, the game is filled with some really BS, borderline-kusoge (derogatory), characters that are trying way too hard to be unique among a 90+ character cast. Min Min, Hero, Steve, Kazuya, Mega Man, Bayonetta, so on. Next game would benefit from a 30-ish character cast and some revamps for newer fighters to be more in line with 64/Melee/Brawl fighters

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I didn't really start paying attention to balance and game design until Ultimate, so Ultimate, but Smash's bloat problem dates back to 3DS/Wii U, possibly even Brawl. How balanced Ultimate is is impressive, especially with the series' track record, but at the same time, the game is filled with some really BS, borderline-kusoge (derogatory), characters that are trying way too hard to be unique among a 90+ character cast. Min Min, Hero, Steve, Kazuya, Mega Man, Bayonetta, so on. Next game would benefit from a 30-ish character cast and some revamps for newer fighters to be more in line with 64/Melee/Brawl fighters
not really interested in a roster this small esp when we got a good balanced roster now,

Top Bottom