• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"DUDE! Your Shiek just SHAD!" "Oh is that what that smell is?"

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
So I've recently been on this crusade to get better, cause I want to play competitively, and because there is somewhat of a competitive scene in North Carolina I don't want to get annihilated when I go to a tourney. Just pokin around the Comprehensive Guide to AT's and such I came upon what's called the "SHAD" [Short Hop Air-Dodge for all those who don't know].

I had seen the topic before, but really didn't pay much attention to it. I know technical skills don't solely win you matches, but I figure they can't hurt to know and at least try to integrate into my play. Well, deciding to at least give it another chance I read up all there was on it, and booted up my wii. Fast-forward to Solo training mode and I started giving it a try.

OMFG....

Seemingly near-lagless lands into down, left, right, and up smashes as well as basically any other move. And that was without fastfalling it... [If someone has the ability to Short hop, fast fall, Airdodge, Downsmash in one jump please tell me, because you either have an extra appendage, or a dancing spider on your controller to help you..]

fastfalling it gives you near lagless anything but smashes.

It's decent for at least an approach. From what I've seen most of the sheiks don't really mess with SHADing so I was wondering if integrating it into our play [if you don't already] would help better at least someone else.

Does anyone else use this?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Uh... it's a situational approach?

I dunno, do it if it seems like a good idea, but airdodging at people still makes you approach in a non-aggressive manner that can be punished if they just see you coming and do some multihit attack.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I think SHAD is good to mix it up a bit but I really haven't done it since brawl was released...I think the reason why I stop using it was because everyone was doing it at the time and it became pretty predictable.

Villi

Smash Lord
It might be a better way to get behind someone than a roll for Sheik. I don't really know, but it's not a big deal approach for me. You can buffer attacks out of all Sheik's aerial approaches, and kinda sorta fast fall nair and bair to have no landing lag (just ff later). Any sort of lingering hitbox or multi hit attack is just gonna follow through uninterrupted as you land, though.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Ive been doing this for quite some time. I think it works really well against projectiles. Preferably slow ones. Pika or Tink spam is a little... difficult.

It works on laggy attacks too. Good for approach against SOME characters.

Flamingo777

Smash Apprentice
I actually just got done smashing and implemented this strategy, and to my surprise, it actually worked! The opponent's attack went right through me, and I had time to punish. (I did fail at it a few times before I got it down though)

Blad01

Smash Lord
Well, does Sheik fall fast enough for a SHAD ? I'm not really sure about that...

SHAD is amazing with Fox, Wolf, but with Sheik... I don't know, i should test it deeper.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I only ever use SHAD to get through spam, if you're opponent has good reactions they'll know to use their multi hitters to get through it if its used as an approach.

Top Bottom