• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dubuque, Iowa Tournament Discussion - October 13th

kintehr

Smash Apprentice
So kintehr gary you still need a ride?
It would just be Gary, not me, and I'm going home this weekend so I'll probably have a better answer after that.

Why doesn't anyone know I live in Ames when school is going on, getting a ride home is like getting a ride to Dubuque itself.

Echo

Smash Champion
picturing mike with a weight would be unrealistic, unless you're thinking of him taking pictures of himself... with smash, just see him poppin 'roids while doin the falco thing... oh and he'd probably be shirtless, as well.

lol too good i need to call that dude

Echo

Smash Champion
well, it looks like we might actually have spots open now... lol, so i might be able to give someone a ride, I'll try to find out within the next week

TehYoon

Smash Journeyman
Update, I can't give anyone a ride there, my parents said it's just way too far, On a good note though, My dad just started up a dealership and the garage is huge, I think I could host a Tourney there. We would just need set-ups( TV's, Cubes), some tables, extension cords, and some power strips, chairs would be helpful too. Anyone wanna comment on this? Oh, also this would probably be on a Sunday. Now just to pick which Sunday.

Faellie

Smash Apprentice
Echo -- Might wanna mention that you'd be leaving Friday and coming home Sunday, so the people asking for rides can make sure that works for them. ^^; (Since it didn't for certain silly Omaha people. :p)

SM3EsH

Smash Ace
it'd actually be nice to know whats happenin on sunday, cause i gotta work on sunday...havent really been told why we're stay'n sunday?
it'd be nice if someone would give folks a heads up on wtf is goin on...

Echo

Smash Champion
I've already said multiple times that I'm going up friday and coming back sunday, if you, mo, or anybody else really wanna come back saturday, then you're going to need to drive a seperate car. In which case, I would have room to pick up some people from Iowa.

TehYoon

Smash Journeyman
Yay Echo just leave a spot open for me, and Tehyoon wtf sunday dude no thx
Thanks for including me I guess. Yeah, just leave a spot for me and Ian.

I've already said multiple times that I'm going up friday and coming back sunday, if you, mo, or anybody else really wanna come back saturday, then you're going to need to drive a seperate car. In which case, I would have room to pick up some people from Iowa.
Friday until Sunday, that sounds fine, but where are we staying on friday,saturday and sunday? In a motel?

Fall

Smash Ace
well, it looks like we might actually have spots open now... lol, so i might be able to give someone a ride, I'll try to find out within the next week
Yay Echo just leave a spot open for me

Update, I can't give anyone a ride there, my parents said it's just way too far, On a good note though, My dad just started up a dealership and the garage is huge, I think I could host a Tourney there. We would just need set-ups( TV's, Cubes), some tables, extension cords, and some power strips, chairs would be helpful too. Anyone wanna comment on this? Oh, also this would probably be on a Sunday. Now just to pick which Sunday.
Tehyoon wtf sunday dude no thx

Fixed due to confusion

SM3EsH

Smash Ace
**** man..you suck...

TehYoon

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be working that day, so I cant make it. Btw if anyone wants to buy a car. I can give you a good discount. We sell pretty cheap cars. Anything under 8,000 cash right now. Cheapest we have is a Cadillac for 2,000 or so.

*edit*
On another note, If anyone needs a sig. I'll be taking requests since I'm bored and have nothing to do on Sundays.

FaceLoran

Smash Champion
lol this thread is easily the worst...people are hawking cars, people are talking about spending an entire weekend in...DUBUCHE IOWA?!?!?! Ugh Mike you fell off *****.

Me and Devon will have to figure something out I suppose if we are to make this...

Faellie

Smash Apprentice
I updated the first post with MLG's rules.

Only 3 and a half weeks! :colorful:

Joel: There's nothing in there about that set-extending rule. It's straight from the MLG Smash thread in the Tournament Discussion forum... care to explain? lol

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
UPDATED!!!

I added rules. They're pretty standard. Copied from the MLG thread.

Dubuque will be holding a tournament on October 13th. This thread is to gauge interest and discuss the tournament. :colorful:

There's a LAN center we will be holding it at called Area 51 Gaming Zone, and there are rooms there that people can stay overnight in for free. (Bring air mattresses, etc.) Or, we could probably arrange more personal housing if that's something you guys would want. :)

Entry fees are still being discussed, but will be at least ten dollars for singles and ten each for teams. The LAN center might want to take a cut, we're not sure yet on that. But, hey.. it's fun, people!

Area 51 Gaming Zone
3033 Asbury Road
Dubuque, IA 52002

Entry Fees:
$10 each for Singles
$10 per person for Doubles, $20 total per team.

General Rules:

* 8 minute time limit on all matches.
* Items off.
* Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
* First stage is random from the Neutral stages listed below.
* Each player is allowed to reset the random stage once; this forces a new random stage to be picked. If the new stage has been previously reset by either player during the same set, that stage is reset again. (Random Stage Reset)
* The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
* No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
* Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
* Each person (or team) may choose one counter-pick stage to be disabled for the entire set at the START OF THE SET, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked. You may not ban neutral stages.
* Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
* For doubles: Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.
* Wobbling is not banned.

Pools:

* Pool matches are best 2 of 3, 3 stock.
* All General rules apply to pool matches, including Advanced Slob Picks, Dave's Stupid Rule, Double Blind picks, and stage banning.
* Your ranking within your pool will be determined by the number of sets you win. Individual games won will not be considered, except:
o In the case of a tie, the tied players will be ranked in the following order:
+ Number of individual games won.
+ Number of individual games lost (fewer games gives a higher rank).
+ Head-to-head records.
Please note that beating the player you're tied with in the pool is the last criteria considered. Do not complain if someone you beat advances and you do not.
* To summarize: you are playing a full, bracket-style set for each of your pool matches, and will be ranked primarily on the number of sets you win.

Brackets:

* Bracket matches are best 2 of 3, 4 stock.
* Winners' bracket finals, losers' bracket finals, and championship sets are all best 3 of 5.

Stages:

* Singles Neutral: Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Fountain of Dreams, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium
* Singles counterpicks: all Singles Neutral stages plus Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle 64, Mute City, Brinstar, Green Greens, Corneria.
* Doubles Neutral: Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Rainbow Cruise
* Doubles counterpicks: all Doubles Neutrals plus Pokefloats, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Green Greens, Corneria, Kongo Jungle 64
* Things to note: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City are banned for doubles;
Pools only 3 stock?:(

Chaos Ogre

Smash Rookie
im assuming these are the rules for the tourny in Cali that MLG is "sponsoring" or whatever. i wouldnt know why they would do 3 stock, i want to do 4. i just glanced at this cause im in class, but it seems ok. if anyone has been to an MLG 06 event, expect the setup like that. as far as pools are concerned, im willing to do whatever. i havent worked with pools much so i might just let echo, mike, or anyone else that would be willing to help.

if anyone has any, ANY questions about this, hit me up on AIM, thejiggity1

Echo

Smash Champion
yeah, I could help you run it if you need help. 3 stock pools is for bigger tournaments with a time constraint, so you should be able to get away with doing 4 stock, here.

People from Des Moines - get hold of me on AIM while I'm on tonight if you get a chance =]

Faellie

Smash Apprentice
Andrew is gonna need a partner... :D (Sink to the beat)

I talked to the guy at Area 51 last night, and updated the first post accordingly. We're almost all set. :grin:

Top Bottom