• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dubuque, Iowa Tournament Discussion - October 13th

Faellie

Smash Apprentice
UPDATED!!!

I added rules. They're pretty standard. Copied from the MLG thread.

Dubuque will be holding a tournament on October 13th. This thread is to gauge interest and discuss the tournament. :colorful:

There's a LAN center we will be holding it at called Area 51 Gaming Zone.

Reply if you need housing overnight, it can be arranged.

We will need cube/Wii setups, but we should be ok on TVs.

Area 51 Gaming Zone
3033 Asbury Road
Dubuque, IA 52002

No carry in food or drink is allowed, but they have a snack bar, etc.

Registration/Set-up will start at 12, Tournament begins at 1.

Entry Fees:
$10 each for Singles
$10 per person for Doubles, $20 total per team.

Pot distribution will be 60/30/10.

Area 51 will take a 20% cut of the entry fees, but I feel that the increased attendance we can get from holding it there will make up for this. Holding it in someone's apartment would be pretty difficult to get over 20 people. I'm hoping for 30-40+.

General Rules:

* 8 minute time limit on all matches.
* Items off.
* Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
* First stage is random from the Neutral stages listed below.
* Each player is allowed to reset the random stage once; this forces a new random stage to be picked. If the new stage has been previously reset by either player during the same set, that stage is reset again. (Random Stage Reset)
* The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
* No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
* Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
* Each person (or team) may choose one counter-pick stage to be disabled for the entire set at the START OF THE SET, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked. You may not ban neutral stages.
* Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
* For doubles: Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.
* Wobbling is not banned.

Pools:

* Pool matches are best 2 of 3, 4 stock.
* All General rules apply to pool matches, including Advanced Slob Picks, Dave's Stupid Rule, Double Blind picks, and stage banning.
* Your ranking within your pool will be determined by the number of sets you win. Individual games won will not be considered, except:
o In the case of a tie, the tied players will be ranked in the following order:
+ Number of individual games won.
+ Number of individual games lost (fewer games gives a higher rank).
+ Head-to-head records.
Please note that beating the player you're tied with in the pool is the last criteria considered. Do not complain if someone you beat advances and you do not.
* To summarize: you are playing a full, bracket-style set for each of your pool matches, and will be ranked primarily on the number of sets you win.

Brackets:

* Bracket matches are best 2 of 3, 4 stock.
* Winners' bracket finals, losers' bracket finals, and championship sets are all best 3 of 5.

Stages:

* Singles Neutral: Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Fountain of Dreams, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium
* Singles counterpicks: all Singles Neutral stages plus Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle 64, Mute City, Brinstar, Green Greens, Corneria.
* Doubles Neutral: Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Rainbow Cruise
* Doubles counterpicks: all Doubles Neutrals plus Pokefloats, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Green Greens, Corneria, Kongo Jungle 64
* Things to note: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City are banned for doubles;

Echo

Smash Champion
just for you, christie. i'll be there.

september would be great, doesnt matter when.

mo, you wanna team?

Faellie

Smash Apprentice
Aww, thank you Echo. =) If Hogosha can't make it for whatever reason, I'll be your doubles partner if you really want...

Updated the first post with the two possible dates so far. The 15th of Sept works best for me, I still need to talk to the guy with the LAN Center connection to see if those dates are open or not.

Echo

Smash Champion
well, we do make too good of a team lol... you'll have to let me know if Isai plans on coming or not then, so I can plan accordingly. :p
btw metroid games on the Wii VC is too good!! :)

Dark Hogosha

Smash Apprentice
I'll do whatever I can to help. Let me know the date ASAP so I can work around, uh, work. I think my manager might have one of those days scheduled off...so this could be kinda tricky. I'll find out tomorrow or Thursday.

As far as lodging, if needs be, I can house about four or so here (willing that it's in September). I live in a one bedroom apartment, so it'll be floor space, but it's available. I owe Echo a bed since he gave his up when we stayed there, so if you stay here I'll sleep on the floor. ;P If it's October, I'll have to talk it over with my roommate at the new place.

Also, if Leon shows up, I demand that 20 dollar money match in 3rd Strike.

Chaos Ogre

Smash Rookie
hey guys, sorry about the delay in the date. in the next couple of days im gonna run this by the owners of Area 51 and see what they think. i dont wanna schedule this on any dates we are hosting other tournys like Halo, Gears, ect. also im tryin to avoid homecoming here in DBQ. if i dont have details by thursday expect them on monday when im back from MLG Chicago (that is if i can get cash to get there).

Echo

Smash Champion
so... it looks like the 22nd then? unless you want to try the first week of october... whatever works for you.

Dark H - the housing would be greatly appreciated, but i'll take the spot on the floor... lol

Echo

Smash Champion
well, unless you wanna go the week sooner... the 8th, is it? unless thats too soon... sept 22nd does sound good though

Echo

Smash Champion
i meant the week sooner then the 15th... which was a date she oiginally had in mind.

donk. :p my word choice may not be the best, but i been postin on my wii lately so gimme a break lol

Chaos Ogre

Smash Rookie
alright guys, talked with one of the owneres today and he said the 22nd is possible, but the grand opening of the Area 51 might be that day. if it is he said we might be able to still have it that day, we would just have to work around it. but if you guys want a definate date, the 8th could work.

i also found out that cant use their tvs, so some people will have to bring some equipment. but dont fret, i have connections to get about 2 or 3 tvs and i can also bring one too. hopfully Hogosha and Faellie can bring a setup.

as far as rules go, i will prolly have singles tourny and a doubles. both with MLG rules, if people forgot them i'll explain. so all of you converse, see what works, if you see a date you dont like dont dismiss it right away, im flexable.

ps. my AIM in thejiggity1 if you wanna get ahold of me.

Faellie

Smash Apprentice
Chaos: You yourself said the 8th was too soon, and I doubt I can get it off of work. (I'm already scheduled that day.) ;P Did you mean October 6th?

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
um.....i don't remember when brawl comes out but why would it matter. Um.... I want to come. I guess it's only a 3 hour drive for me. but could i get an address and maybe a definite date. I don't know maybe it's too far away for that stuff but ok. I am kind of quitting smash i mean i know i'm not going to do good but i go for the people and the traveling hehe.

Chaos Ogre

Smash Rookie
whew, aight guys, back from chicago, still stoked that the team i personaly know and watched through most of the tourny made it to the pro bracket in Halo 2. last event everyone was goin nutz how Xena and Smiley's (2 girl gamer teammates) team made it in the pro bracket. this event we had to play them to get into the pro bracket and we won 2-1. we caused lots of sad faces because everyone was hoping Xena and Smiley would make pro again. meh, i think they are overrated anyway (Lelu is better than both of them).

anyways back to smash. the 13th will most likely be the date. the 22nd will definatly be the grand opening and we really wanna concentrate on that for now. we need to advertise and get our name out there and start bringing people in. as far as rules go, like i said before. it will be your basic tourny, (best of 3) only diff that i want to do is what MLG did for theirs. if 2 people meet in the tourny a second time, the series extends to a best of 7. if people have strong feelings to change this rule i will change it if need be.

if you can please post if you are 100% coming. spread the word, all that good stuff, i'll release payout details whenever i can.

Top Bottom