• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DtJ #Chisports x PPRN Present: Geeksboro #1 - Twerk, Don't... - August 24th, 2013 - Greensboro, NC

clowsui

Smash Legend
DtJ #Chisports x PPRN Present: Geeksboro #1 - Twerk, Don't Jerk
08-24-13
I. Introduction
II. Venue Information
III. Ruleset
IV. Schedule
V. Miscellaneous
VI. Contact Information
I. Introduction

Sup y'all. My name's Chi, I just moved to NC for grad school. I used to be a Brawl TO in the Midwest (and a mediocre Brawl player). I was pretty good at TO'ing - I've co-hosted a few large events (the Phoenix Saga series, as well as School is in Session 4 if y'all care to look), helped to improve a few events (Big House 2, EVO2013's bracket, SKTAR1) and ran a few of my own 80+ man events. While I decided I'd work on learning how to play Melee while living here since I live very close to PP + PPRN (AKA Lauren), I also decided that I'd continue to run events. So here I am with my first one!

As you might guess by the title, Lauren is trying to become a TO. To assist her in her efforts, I've brought her on as an assistant TO for this event. Please treat her with the same respect that you give me =) if not, we're going to have some problems.

II. Venue Information
Geeksboro Coffeehouse Cinema, located at 2134 Lawndale Drive, Greensboro, NC, is as you might guess a coffee parlor. The venue owner is interested in showcasing and providing a space for gaming communities in order to show off the positive power of gaming. As we all know, the Smash community is much like a family for all its members. So you might say that this venue is perfect for us. But how about some concrete details about the place?​
- 4 TVs already at the venue and available for us to use, meaning we can support up to 20-30 players on their equipment alone provided people bring systems.​
- A HUGE amount of floor space​
- Air conditioning​
- Delicious beverages available for purchase​
- Food nearby, including Chipotle across the street
- Did I mention delicious beverages available for purchase?
- Open until 2 a.m. on Saturdays
- Accessible by GTA, fairly close to highway
If you have any doubts still about this place, have no fear! Pictures will be on their way soon. Lauren and I simply forgot to take some when we went to check it out.
III. Fees and Ruleset
VENUE FEE: $5
SINGLES ENTRY: $5 (negotiable)
DOUBLES ENTRY: $10 PER TEAM (also negotiable)
This tournament will be using the MBR Ruleset, conveniently abridged by EVOLUTION 2013 as follows:​
  • Game version: US Nintendo Gamecube
  • Game Settings: 4 Stock, 8 Minute Time Limit, No Items, Pause Disabled, 2/3 Games
  • Starter stages**: Yoshi’s Story, Fountain of Dreams, Final Destination, Battlefield, Dream Land
  • Counter-pick Stages**: Pokémon Stadium.
  • Wobbling is legal. Freezing and infinite stalling are not legal. Tactics that are ambiguous with respect to their "stalling" nature are subject to the TO's discretion in labeling and punishment.
  • First stage is decided by banning from the Starter Stages in P1-P2-P2-P1 order.
  • Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.
  • Following stages decided by winner banning one stage from all stages and then loser choosing.
  • Any matches that are best of five, there are no stage bans.
  • You may not choose a stage you have already won on unless mutually agreed to.
  • Double Blind Picks are allowed. Port Priority can be part of the Counterpicking Process also.
  • Gentleman's Clause - where any stage or rule can be turned on provided both players or teams agree - is in effect this tournament.
  • WINNERS FINALS, LOSERS FINALS AND GRAND FINALS ARE 3/5. ALL OTHER MATCHES ARE 2/3.
  • If any players are found guilty of intentional underperformance or collusive behavior, the TOs reserve the right to withhold any winnings towards these individuals.
** FOR DOUBLES, THE STAGES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Starter stages: Yoshi' Story, Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland, Pokemon Stadium
Counterpicks: Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle 64
IV. Payouts and Schedule
IF THERE ARE LESS THAN 32 ENTRANTS TO AN EVENT:
1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%
IF THERE ARE MORE THAN 32 ENTRANTS TO AN EVENT, BUT LESS THAN 64:
1st 50%
2nd 25%
3rd 15%
4th 10%
THE SCHEDULE BELOW IS BASED ON THE FOLLOWING PROJECTIONS:
48 SINGLES ENTRANTS*, 16 TEAM DOUBLES BRACKET
8 SETUPS
2/3 MATCH TOTAL DURATION: 15 MINUTES (including dawdling + CPing)
3/5 MATCH TOTAL DURATION: 30 MINUTES (including dawdling + CPing)
THE SCHEDULE IS INVALIDATED ENTIRELY IF THERE ARE >48 SINGLES ENTRANTS AND >16 DOUBLES TEAMS. THIS IS BECAUSE WE WILL NEED BIGGER BRACKETS
Oh, and we'll only run RRs if attendance goes over 64.
12:00 PM - 1:30 PM REGISTRATION (SINGLES AND DOUBLES)
1:30 PM - 2:00 PM DOUBLES BRACKET CREATION + ANNOUNCEMENTS
2:00 PM - 2:15 PM DOUBLES WBR1
2:15 PM - 2:30 PM DOUBLES WBR2/LBR1
2:30 PM - 2:45 PM DOUBLES WSF/LBR2
2:45 PM - 3:00 PM DOUBLES LBR3 + LAST CALL FOR SINGLES REGISTRATION
PLAYERS SHOULD GET FOOD IF THEY'RE NOT IN DOUBLES AROUND NOW
3:00 PM - 3:30 PM DOUBLES WF/LQF + LSF
3:30 PM - 4:00 PM DOUBLES LF
4:00 PM - 4:30 PM DOUBLES GF
4:00 PM - 5:15 PM SINGLES WBR1+2: This block is projected to take longer than usual because players who were in GF of doubles will want a little time to eat. There's gonna be a little bit of a window POTENTIALLY to play friendlies. DO NOT PLAY MMs at this time.
5:15 PM - 5:45 PM SINGLES LBR2: 16 matchups in the losers bracket at this point, so 30 minutes because we only have 8 TVs.
5:45 PM - 6:00 PM SINGLES WBR3
6:00 PM - 6:15 PM SINGLES LBR3 - Players in winners, NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO GET FOOD
6:15 PM - 6:30 PM SINGLES LBR4 - Players in winners, NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO GET FOOD
6:30 PM - 6:45 PM SINGLES WQF/LBR5
6:45 PM - 7:00 PM SINGLES WSF/LBR6 - 2 SETUPS PERMANENTLY OPENED UP FOR FRIENDLIES AT THIS TIME
7:00 PM - 7:15 PM SINGLES LBR7 - 5 SETUPS PERMANENTLY OPENED UP FOR FRIENDLIES AT THIS TIME.
7:15 PM - 7:45 PM SINGLES WF/LQF + LSF - 7 SETUPS PERMANENTLY OPENED UP FOR FRIENDLIES AFTER LQFs ARE DONE.
7:45 PM - 8:15 PM SINGLES LF
8:15 PM - 8:45 PM SINGLES GF
8:45 PM onwards - Side Events/Whatever. Venue closes at 2 a.m, remember
V. Miscellaneous
- We can easily accommodate more than 8 setups. It's always better to have more than less, so please show up with setups guys.
- If we end up with more than 32 singles at this first one, there will be some cool venue fee reduction opportunities at the next one. I'll also allow someone to stream the next event for venue fee off as well as one event off.
- Lauren and I actually don't care about DQ'ing people. We're pretty bad at saying no but we're also pretty dead set on wanting to get out as early as possible. You should be too. Crews and side events are fun, and so is going out to eat.
- Try to take cool photographs at this event and post them up afterwards through IG/FB etc. If we see a lot, there will be chances for venue reduction too.
- Re: schedule. I obviously don't expect everything to go perfectly, but in the end all the shorter/longer matches should balance out and the small breaks that people take will balance out also. Trust me.​
- Please be responsible and respectful. Smokers (of all kinds), please USE COMMON SENSE.​
- We're starting at 2:00 and we have a last call for singles registration. There is literally zero excuse to be late barring emergencies, and even then...lmao.​
VI. Contact Information
Me (513) 206-0500 <-- call or text this
Venue (336) 355-7180 <-- call this

clowsui

Smash Legend
SETUP COUNT:
TVs:
1-4. Geeksboro
5. Skytch
6. hood+
7. Jonny
8. v4extreme
9. Slasher
10. Bl@ckChris
11. Jonny
(more slots added if necessary)
GAMECUBES:
1-2. Geeksboro
3-4. PPRN + PPMD
5. Skytch
6. Bl@ckChris
7. hood+
8. Jonny
9. v4extreme
10. Slasher
(more slots added if necessary)

clowsui

Smash Legend
By the by if I see that RSVP mark fall w/in 25% of the actual tournament attendance amount I'll come up with another venue fee reduction for the next one.

Hop to it boys I'm all about discounts

PS this ain't no online sweepstakes, don't try to invite people to RSVP when they're not from here. I'll be watchin and if people don't play nice then I'm not about that venue welfare paypuh you feel me?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
YO WE GOT JAPES DO?

i was planning on traveling, as this is my 4 day weekend of the month, but i might be able to persuade my other half to let me attend. we will see.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Yo that's for doubles only bruh check the MBR 2012 ruleset

Japes is actually a pretty fair doubles stage lol. Brinstar too but I'm tryna stick to what the Illuminati handed me

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Ill go if I can, only like an hour away.

I might win a match this time :gawmelee:

O yea, is there any official discount for bringing setups, or are they all negotiable? I can bring two cubes, a tiny ass tv (Grand Finals TV), and a copy of melee.

Laurrrr

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1289-9620-8171
Thanks Jonneh it was my first one ever on SB ~*~

And I don't remember why Puff is listed as the main but there was some reasoning behind it. I think it's what Lauren actually mains so I think that's why.

clowsui

Smash Legend
AHHHHHH Less than a week away! Who's hype?!

BTW the DQ rule in effect at this tournament is as follows: from the time your match is announced, you have 5 minutes before you lose a game. If you don't show up within 5 minutes of that announcement, you lose the set. If you don't show up within 2 minutes of that announcement, you lose your following set (supposing you have one).

I will offer leniency if you tell me where you are/where you will be and for approximately how long, but don't expect me to offer these if we're behind on time or if we've given you a lot of breaks.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I have no idea lol. 20?

Jonny
Chris
me
Kevin
Smithers
4-5 Locals
Spencer(?)
Locke
Peter Le
Moses (?)
$mike
Taheem if he gets a ride?
You + a carful of raleigh boyz

BTW, PSA#2: I probably won't be paying singles entry. If anyone has a SERIOUS issue with this, I can scrounge up the money most likely but I don't think there will really be an issue w this since I'm running the damn thing lol

Top Bottom