• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DRDN's World

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Why this tournament is bad.

DRDN's Stupid Rule: No stage may be played more then 1 time during a set(this includes continuation sets for Grand Finals)
Lol, why is this even a rule?

Neutrals
Battlefield
Delphino Plaza
Yoshi's Island(Brawl)
Lylat
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Seige
SmashVille
Why da **** is Delphino a neutral and not FD? There's a reason why there are stage strikes before a set is started to determine where the frist stage is played on.

Counter Picks
Final Destination
Norfair
Frigate
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Drive
Skyworld
Pictochat
Jungle Japes
Onett
Mario Circuit
Green Greens
LOL.

Modified Rules For Teams
Teams can only have 1 of each charecter
Both charecters need to be from the same series during each game
You are able to switch teams in between games but they must also match
Why da **** is this even a rule? I feel like you put in this rule just so you and Van have a better shot at winning doubles. Not to mention L showed interest in going to this but guess what. He probably won't be attending because he can't even use his main in doubles. Not to mention team with who he wants to.

Not to mention you throw in money to try and get people to come. Obviously if you didn't do that no one would show up.

Have fun running this though. Show new smashers and un competitive environment. Just saying at the West MI tourny we went to yesterday it seemed like everyone had a blast using the Unity rule set. Hell their scene is going to grow now because of last tournament. Like 90% of theme seemed willing to come to another tournament. Where we using jank *** rules? No.

Obviously I won't be attending unless your rules change cause this **** is dumb.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
Why this tournament is bad.

Lol, why is this even a rule?

Because I get tired of seeing MK doubles on SV over and over again and it makes people play on more of the counterpicks which is what I'm looking at
Why da **** is Delphino a neutral and not FD? There's a reason why there are stage strikes before a set is started to determine where the frist stage is played on.
Because FD is the strongest stage for too many chars especially with MI having so many IC's and Diddys and Delphino has VERY many stage types in just 1 stage
LOL.
All stages considered legal by respectable people at some point or another and I have no reason to see them banned until I see them used....its called testing....its also me testing different skills then normal like being able to use more then one char and being able to use your surroundings not just playing Brawl like its street fighter
Why da **** is this even a rule? I feel like you put in this rule just so you and Van have a better shot at winning doubles. Not to mention L showed interest in going to this but guess what. He probably won't be attending because he can't even use his main in doubles. Not to mention team with who he wants to.
:metaknight::metaknight: also could you imagine this at a high level of play. I have not seen or talked to L and this also leads to using more then 1 char again my rules are trying to find the best PLAYER not the best user of a CHAR
Not to mention you throw in money to try and get people to come. Obviously if you didn't do that no one would show up.
It wasn't so people would show up it was to spread some money through this community that has been having small winnings for the whole season, not to mention I thought some people could use some money before APEX
Have fun running this though. Show new smashers and un competitive environment. Just saying at the West MI tourny we went to yesterday it seemed like everyone had a blast using the Unity rule set. Hell their scene is going to grow now because of last tournament. Like 90% of theme seemed willing to come to another tournament. Where we using jank *** rules? No.
What you call JANK I call new and exciting also this could have some people take a second look at the stages that noone is allowed to use and gets SHUNNED for TRYING
Obviously I won't be attending unless your rules change cause this **** is dumb.
You coming is your decision I'm sad your not open to new thing but if you feel they aren't for you there's not much I can do

Also if you read almost any response to getting these stages played its "go ask your local TO to use them and see how it turns out...or RUN YOUR OWN TOURNEY AND TRY IT OUT well here I am doing as told and also finding out about these stages first hand

DRDN

Smash Master
Sorry I just got up and it was blue which is my favorite

Also props to apasher for understanding what's real

What I don't get is why is it when a prize pot is announced its normally just an extra incentive to go but because I'm hosting a different ruleset its to get people to come especially when its coming from the people who AREN'T coming?

But I'm still going to have fun and I'm sure everyone who's here will as well :)

What's The Point

Smash Master
MK ban is an actual experiment and a possible way people will play this game.

Port Aero Town isn't deep and everyone knows how it works. It's an uneven stage that has many factors detrimental to competitive play. This applies to all the other stages he made legal as well. Plus nobody non-stupid likes them.

Series doubles is obviously a side tournament, and I can't believe you are being serious when you talk about it using words like "serious" and "high level play". It heavily limits character choice, and is a way bigger determiner of who is "only good" with a character than your weird perception of player skill.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm reading DRDN's arguments and while I see some valid reasons for trying something new, it just more or less seems like the basis of your argument is "La la la I'm not listening".

Like you're not even address half the points that are being brought up. In addition, your unwillingness to even consider tweaking your extremely unorthodox ruleset is just as inflexible as the people who don't want to go to this because they don't like the rules. Except the different is, you're the TO and you're the one catering to a select audience of people. Everyone else just needs to show up.

Being a TO is a privelege, not a right. I feel like despite your colorful explanations, your intentions are just as if not MORE selfish than altruistic. Do what you have to do though. I'm not calling into question your character however.

As of now, pot bonus and all I cannot promise my attendance to this despite it being so close. I can't consider this good practice for Apex either. We'll see what happens.

:phone:

DRDN

Smash Master
Its not just MK that I don't want double of and when I say can you imagine top level play with series doubles I'm talking about like what if the best player of each char entered a tourney with series doubles? I would LOVE to see how that worked out, IMO it would be very entertaining and lately that's what I'm looking for.

I know this format NEEDS tweaks BUT I want to see this attempted so I can work on fixing it.

I am reading their comments and taking them into some consideration but as I stated before this ruleset isn't going to change because some people won't give it a shot (especially within a month of it happening) and I will take peoples input MUCH MORE after the tourney because I will know that they have atleast tried it and tried to do well in it. Playing on the stages with the mindset of this is gay your not going to have your mind changed. But maybe when you try to use the stages to their full ability you might end up saying well it has this and this bad but its workable

And if I continue to host tourneys id plan on doing a more normal ruleset for singles and then a side event for anything I want to test or abnormal

What's The Point

Smash Master
None of the things you expect to happen won't happen.

First, people know how to "play the stage" on banned stages already. That is why they are banned. And why do you think people will have more insight on why Port Aero is a bad stage after they play it maybe once at your tournament? There won't be some major revelation happening on that day. It will be some guy being a **** or being so bored that they just counter pick it because they know Ally is beating them regardless.

Series doubles is still ********. Best players of each character enters? First, 75% of them don't enter because they have to make ****ty teams. Second, MK/Dedede gets first through last, and maybe Pika/Lucario and Peach/DK will be somewhere in there (But no where near first).

This is going to be a, likely small, smashfest with a really expensive smashfest tournament with these rules and your stance on them.

DRDN

Smash Master
And to wtp (when I posted yours wasn't up yet)

Didn't PS2 get added recently from being banned? And you ask why DRDNSR is in there but say noones going to pick the different stages....along with the reason I've given before you just answered yourself. These stages MAY get low chance of play but they still get a chance. And if they aren't going to be played it shouldn't be a big deal then.

Also for your point of series doubles what if MK were banned like he's going to be soon? How would that change things? When we play normal teams aren't they all considered ****ty because they aren't all double MK? Isn't that the only GOOD team right now?

And id think pit/G&W would do well even though they aren't top teir my BIGGEST problem with this series doubles is that I had no place to put Oli

And are you saying that if all the people who were say for example going to APEX that they wouldn't enter this event because their teams would suck...is that why everyone plays top teir only? There's 0 gannon mains. And these teams wouldn't happen ever anyway? I don't believe that ESPECIALLY since one of the teams you listed is having a $100 MM ditto which is Really Hype

when I think about shugo/kain teaming and taking on coney/(Insert EC MK) id get excited

What's The Point

Smash Master
DRDNSR is stupid because it only applies to GFs, and it can create a situation where one person gets more stage strikes in the second set. There's also no reason to not allow some one to return to a stage they lost on.

The stages being on is an issue because while most people will ignore them, some one will ruin another person's day by using a stage. Somebody is going to get killed by Port Aero cars, and somebody is getting circle camped/tornadoed on Sky World.

A normal ****ty team is like Snake/Dedede, or Wario/Olimar. Something good, but doesn't have an MK. MK/MK probably isn't even the best team, but a team with MK is. With the series crap, a Snake player can only play with Sonic, Olimars can't play at all, and Wario can at best team with Peach/DK. you are both limiting what teams can be picked to an incredibly heavy degree, and who players can team with. The biggest issue with series doubles is that it's a silly side event/smashfest tournament, plus the afore mentioned things.

You are all over the place and I'm not even sure what some of your arguments are supposed to address, or even convey, but you seem to be thinking "blerg blerg blerg everyone uses MK so now they can't". But what is actually means is everyone has to use MK because using their non-MK character means they have to team with a mid-tier character.

Nic/Wil vs Il/Rip is only hype because it's $100 each and Il is from TX. The characters are irrelevant.

Also Shugo would use MK in a Kain/Shugo vs Coney/Omni match. You'd only get excited because you have this hatred for MK and hate that he's the best character and that people use him.

DRDN

Smash Master
I'm sorry I sound incoherant I can't multi quote on my phone so ill try to go in order

I think ill need to clarify how GF will work better so thanks for pointing out about the strikes and DRDNSR affects the whole tourney, like I said there's way too many times people will just play on one stage and I don't see that as entertaining its not even just SV (GSS lain vs SK).

I want to know (and this is to everyone) why lylatt which the stage itself gimps chars with its tilts and get away with being a cp or sometimes a NEUTRAL because the way to tell when the tilts coming is looking at the BG but the cars in PTAD make it bannable when you can see them AND see their positions in the race and on the track? Honestly I don't see the cars as a problem. And skyworld since testing on it I've found some cool spikes and defenses on it I don't see how you can get circle camped on it worse then on BF since their almost the same thing. And if you let a bad death ie a car ruin your day that's just you getting frustrated which happens in normal play ie LF at skynet

Is snake/D3 a bad team they both live forever and snake controls land pretty well and D3 is pretty good in the air. And I'm limiting the teams to being in the same series yes because its a cool concept for some. Which of NINTENDOs series has the best fighters? And with it being series people like ally and I thought you specifically who like to play as 5 different people would be able to team with more people and have more possibilities I've already brought up my problem with Olimar not being able to team with anyone but let's say Coco wanted to come (as the only Oli main sort of active when I made this anyway) he would be able to play his mario and team with any wario/peach/yoshi and we have a few warios atleast 2-3 peaches and a couple Yoshis as well. Again I'm sorry if L wanted to come and now won't because he doesn't have another char he likes to play but that is one of the kinks I still have to work out. I really don't see how the biggest problem is relavent at all you call it a silly side event but my tourney was supposed to be FUN and anyone who's been to my place before knows we like to have fun :)

I don't think everyone uses MK, infact its the people putting this down saying MK/D3 is going to win when honestly aside from Tech/Gio and Lain/(insert MK) I don't see it as much of a problem getting past with the other teams and id expect those teams to do well regardless.

I'm pretty sure that match is hype because they created a hype train for it and people jumped on instead of putting it down I was just pointing out those teams are still used and people are wanting to watch it

In a normal dubs tourney yes shugo probably would go MK but what about after the ban? What if people stopped dropping their fav char for the one they know is better and just. Wrecked everyone because they all did the same...basically what if everyone had the same mind set as the *** players and stuck to their main would you not like to see the teams that I listed play each other? Can you not think of other top players you would like to see play like this?

If you don't think it'd be fun then that's your opinion and I'm okay with it. Gio find MK dittos on SV to be the most fun thing to watch/play and I don't but do I try to stop him from doing it? No. Do I hate MK No. When the MK ban came up for techs tourney I was for it to try and get more people out, everyone seemed to have fun that went but I don't know if it brought anyone in but I saw Tech himself get back in the game, which is possibly more important at that time because he does so much for the community.

I want to point out I've heard you guys, and I've heard others that think this is a neat idea and want to give it a try. I'm hoping to get a stream going for this so others can watch and give input as well.

I keep forgetting to mention that what gifts said bothers me if I did this to give me and Van a better shot at winning why would I let MK a char who destroys both his main and the main I'm trying to drop be legal? I was actually thinking about teaming with my usual partner during SFs but he *****ed out on me a lot and probably won't be here I WAS working on my PT/wolf. And I don't see me and him taking money unless all of the more seasoned players decided to not come

Roller

Smash Legend
Wait. You can read my mind? :denzel:

Also. Not the best idea to take a sarcastic and demeaning tone with the majority of the people posting in here; (your core demographic btw) who not only have more tournament experience than you, but also have a better understanding of the game's mechanics and the metagame than you, and have run more successful tournaments in the past than you. Not to mention the fact that we seem to have a better grasp on formal essay and debate composition than you do.

I don't understand how or in what area you believe you have the high ground in this dispute. Please let us know so that you can be corrected.

Roller

Smash Legend
I'm not just attacking those one or two posts. This is a consistent and recurring pattern present in most posts you make. Also, you chose to make those posts on your phone at work, (which you probably shouldn't have been doing anyway) knowing that the structure of those posts would be poor. Instead of just waiting until you got home, you intentiontionally decided to post on the spot, and in turn sacrificed any heir of formality. Which imo is important for a TO to maintain in their tournament's thread.

And I'm not just referring to myself in my last post (the majority of which you don't seem to have a response to). I'm talking about the way you're (despite your claims) ignoring the views of a number of the other people who meet my descrption in this thread.

Roller

Smash Legend
I don't have a problem with you as a person. You're cool by me. I just go ad hominem during debates. But we should be able to express changes we would like to see in a public forum.

And as a TO, you are essentially a servant of the community. Just as government officials are meant to be public servants. A TO's job is to hold the most enjoyable tournament possible with the resources available at their disposal to the most attendees possible.

If you are wantonly opposing rules/stages/etc which the community as a whole wants to see. Then you will soon find yourself in the same situation as a politician who ignores and/or opposes the views of the voters.

DRDN

Smash Master
You guys have made your points and as TO when I asked you to send your thoughts in PMs you should have done it correct?

And I have yet to see anyone answer my quesgtion about PTAD vs Lylat, you stick to your points that have been made by 3+ people already and after the HYPE started coming you started calling me out on not answering your negative feeling questions, which I shouldn't have answered at all in here because I already expressed my feelings about them being in this thread.

As the TO of this event I'm trying to make it as hype as possible but you guys make it difficult by tearing it down constantly and disobeying my requests, your getting away with it because I don't know how to stop it as this is my first time being a TO and a thread host

Roller

Smash Legend
You guys have made your points and as TO when I asked you to send your thoughts in PMs you should have done it correct?
Not correct. You are a TO, not a mod. You seem to have confused the jobs of the two. We do not have to censor ourselves because a TO would like it. Lord knows Alex Strife would like that control over a few people posting in the APEX thread.

And I have yet to see anyone answer my quesgtion about PTAD vs Lylat, you stick to your points that have been made by 3+ people already and after the HYPE started coming you started calling me out on not answering your negative feeling questions, which I shouldn't have answered at all in here because I already expressed my feelings about them being in this thread.
Because you have said nothing to refute our legitimate points, short of asking a few silly questions which if you honestly don't know the answers to, you should not be TOing anything. If you don't want negative sentiments in this thread, then appease the communities demands. Again. A TO is a servant of the community. Not a dictator. You are meant to give us a positive experience, not the other way around.
As the TO of this event I'm trying to make it as hype as possible but you guys make it difficult by tearing it down constantly and disobeying my requests, your getting away with it because I don't know how to stop it as this is my first time being a TO and a thread host
If you were trying to make it as hype as possible, you would be listening to the feedback the community is giving you. To not listen to us, and to argue against us is OBVIOUSLY going to kill hype.

I'll give you a perfect example of a new TO who stopped it. The Skynet TOs. The initial ruleset was FD only with 5 stocks or something. Other than me and like one other person, the community was not happy with this. The community asked Fishnax to change the ruleset. They did. Hype increased exponentially. It is not a coincidence that you taking the opposite approach of opposing the community at large is resulting in the opposite effect... killing hype.

What's The Point

Smash Master
TOing is not a privilege and a TO is not a servant to the community. TOs > Players by a lot. You guys have to stop saying these ridiculous things.

But still a TO has to meet some standards that players have because otherwise no one will go to their tournament. If you want a house tournament with non-competitive stages and a side-tournament instead of doubles, you'd need to do more than throw money at Ally to get people's attention. We've all seen Ally enough, he isn't really a crowd drawer anymore.

DRDN

Smash Master
TOing is not a privilege and a TO is not a servant to the community. TOs > Players by a lot. You guys have to stop saying these ridiculousness things.
Thank you

And roller you keep saying I should listen to the community but you mean I should listen to you guys, I have said before there were some people who loved the idea and wanted to try it. My reason for not taking your suggestions, because this is what I want and others do as well. I don't think that because a majority of you are used to the norm and want something similar to that, I shouldn't let the people who like this have their fun.

And can you all stop saying the pot bonus is to get people to come I've stated it was part of the plan from thought 1 and already have explained what the purpose was for so please stop insulting me by saying things like I threw money out there to get ally here. Honestly I'm glad he's coming but he had no influence on the pot bonus and neither did anyone else. This is what I mean by going in circles I explain something then your guys next argument makes it sound like I haven't, so I do it again.

I shall return to this during lunch

Roller

Smash Legend
@ Kevin: TOs ARE servants of the community. wtf are you talking about? They provide a service to us with (in most cases) no benefit to themselves. Yes, they are more important to the scene than other players by a lot. It's because you have a negative connotation of the word servant that you assume I meant otherwise. For instance, in most religious communities like Catholicism. Priests are servants of the church. They are also way more important than normal parishioners. It is an honor and a privilege for them to be a servant. In a similar way it is an honor and a privilege to provide the rest of the players in the communities with tournaments.

EDIT: @DRDN: Are you trying to tell me the pot bonus ISN'T to get people to come?

...But that's the whole point of a pot bonus. I believe you wanted to from the beginning, and I have no problem with the bonus. imo it's the best thing you've done for your tourney.

Top Bottom