• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drawing the line in Smash... with PictoChat!

Space_Pirate_Fox_McCloud

Smash Apprentice
As someone said in another topic, Sakurai just out-Mojo'd the Smash Bros. Mojo.
My initial reaction to the update was trying to make sure I had gone to the real Smash Bros site and not somehow wound up at Mojo. Everything from the concept to the screenshots made me believe it was too unbelievable to be real. But since it is real, it sure is the most unique stage idea to appear in Smash Bros, and definately out-wierds Wario Ware.

I also find it interesting that this stage got a franchise logo despite being nothing more than a minor chat app included on the DS. I would think that PictoChat belonged more under the misc category beside Little Mac, Dr. Wright, and Devil, and would have the general SSB logo than its own logo (which is the DS logo).

I'm really curious as to what the song "PictoChat" is since PictoChat literally didn't have any music at all (and was pretty much silent aside from some typing and scribblinh sound effects, a bell ring when a person entered the chat and a ding for each time a message was posted). As for the Wii Shop Channel and Mii Channel themes, they're not quite what would get my heart pumping for battle, but I can at least hear the Wii Shop theme matching the stage.

Probably what I like best about this update is the fact that we can have stages and icons without there automatically being a character, as the DS logo literally doesn't have any characters to go with it. Miis would have a Wii icon, as they are a Wii element, and never had any relation to the DS. Characters from DS games would simply have icons from their respective games instead of the general DS logo, and a fighting DS would be as corny as the "living" Game Boy that appeared in the second season of Captain N. If anything, this icon actually give hope to franchises and games that don't have a character that would really work as a fighter or even AT to be able to earn some sort of representation in Smash Bros by lending its environment.

overthere

Smash Cadet
PictoSmash

Forget Mojo indeed!

Sure, it's no means tournament-friendly. But we've got enough stages that are, so why not add a stage for the people who like to have ridiculous fun? Keep in mind, Nintendo likes to please all possible audiences, and they're well aware that there are little kids playing Smash who have more fun taking pauseshots and making up stories as if the characters are dolls than playing in tournaments.

Who would take the Wii remote or DS and draw on the stage instead of fight? I would! Why? Because it would be fun! Of course, it would make more sense as its own mode. After all, I don't anticipate this feature anyways.
But some form of create-a-stage would be awesome.

I don't imagine there would be a a Wii Menu or Mii Plaza stage now.

One thing I can't tell - does that floor have edges or is it another walk-off stage?

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
This is one of the best stages I've ever seen. The music can be used to annoy enemys and KO your foe when they are off guard. EPIC!!!

Also for you guys and that logo making you curious. Sakurai may be using some features for the DS... who knows what they can do with that?

pirkid

Smash Lord
Imagine drawing the stage yourself.
Drawing clouds, and inserting wind tiles pointing <<< so they blow that way.
Fire tiles, just plain boxes you draw, a huge arc movement tile...

Hmm...

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
This stage is actually really cool-looking... at first I was thinking "oh great, another reason not to take Smash Bros. seriously", but it just looks too fun to play on. A lot of the Brawl stages seem hard to concentrate on, but this one is solid and not distracting like Final Destination with a fun little twist.

crush_T_asain

Smash Apprentice
rofl when i first saw it i thought it was a way to talk on wifi but then i saw the stage icon and diddy and lucas so... but still lol

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
^^^

I hear the tiny disks hold around 1.5 gigs while the big DADDY disks hold around 4gigs. That's more than 2x.

Plus, if these drawings are 2D, then a TON can be included for the stage and take up virtually no space (especially if they don't have animation). Something tells me however, that these pictures are going to be drawn as your actually fighting, which would mean that the backgrounds are more than just doodles with attributes.

BokutoGuy

Smash Journeyman
wow, didnt expect this to happen for a monday update, i hope u can draw ur own stage *traped in box geting shdl*

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Those who do not know why there is no customizable drawings do not understand the world. I promise you, that in the hypothetical world where you could draw it yourself, that within teh first day of online and that stage, you will fight a random person who made a stage in the shape lof a very special body part. =/

SD3

Smash Rookie
This is an awesome stage update, but the icon is kind of worrying
I mean, it either means that there won't be a character for every icon (bad news for potential animal crossing reps), or there will be some sort of DS character...

DS Stylus for brawl!

BokutoGuy

Smash Journeyman
Those who do not know why there is no customizable drawings do not understand the world. I promise you, that in the hypothetical world where you could draw it yourself, that within teh first day of online and that stage, you will fight a random person who made a stage in the shape lof a very special body part. =/
guess ur right just an idea tho...

mcs

Smash Cadet
I hate Roy and everything he stood for in Melee, I really hope they aren't doing the same with Lucas.

I feel better now.
i am deeply offended by that....:( REVEEEENNNGEEEEE!!

Now leaving: Zero Suit Samus (maternity leave)
hehehe....

This update also makes me worried because Miis might be playable, and that would just ruin Brawl for me.
yaa but think of this: it might be a streatch but if miis are in brawl then custom combat styles for them might be to.

also the ds stylus as a item isint such a bad idea..search for animator vs animation the game. then imagine that in brawl!

off topic: what about the wii-mote as a item? Ideas? suggestions?

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
This is probably the most creative stage next to WarioWare but since it's probably going to end up like Flatzone, it's going to suck.

This update also makes me worried because Miis might be playable, and that would just ruin Brawl for me.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
How in any way does this prove mii's will be in the game?

Picto Chat is a DS game..
The music section shows Mii Channel music. Thus, Miis = a possibility. Nintendo does LOVE to throw Miis into everything, thinking it somehow makes the Miis cool (hint: bland graphics are still bland no matter how many games you put them in).

It also shows Wii Shop Channel music. Wii Points card for Brawl, lol.

Also, we got to see more of Lucas. Sad to say, as I would love to has Ness back, but those moves look a LOT like Ness's, with just the shiny part looking different (overused hexagonal shape, as some put it). I want mah Ness back. :(

Top Bottom