• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Draw With Your Power - ROUND 16: SNAKE

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
draw with your power

First there was Write With Your Power, for our incredibly creative community. Then, Debate With Your Power, for those of us who love arguing. We even have Chess With Your Power. Now, I propose a new challenge to your power: DRAW WITH YOUR POWER!

"Draw With Your Power?" What's that?

Draw With Your Power (or DWYP for short) is a creative art contest. Each 'week' (which may end up being more than a week), I will submit a Smash character for you to draw... In your own rendition. That's right, your own style. Ever thought that Mewtwo should have had his Robot armor as an alternate costume? Make it. Did you hope that Luigi would get a chef outfit in Brawl? Give him one. Love the idea of an 8-bit Link? Do it! Be as creative as possible. At the end of each week, the SWF community will vote on which rendition is the best.

In short: DWYP is a SSB drawing contest, in which you draw characters your way.

Rules and Tips

• 1) Be creative. You probably won't get very far if you just trace a picture of Mario.
  • 2) No nudity. Please. Really, people.
  • 3) No submissions past the deadlines. Even if you're a minute late.

• 4) I change the rules often. Check the OP every once in a while.

• 5) Have fun with it!

• 6) No flaming whatsoever. Constructive criticism is good.

• 7) Multiple entries are allowed.

• 8) WHEN SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, PLEASE SAY HOW YOU MADE IT. OTHERWISE, IT WILL BE IGNORED!

• 9) Only one person can work on each entry. Sorry, no collaborations. I want everyone to have an equal chance.

Types of Art Allowed

Anything from Microsoft Paint to ceramic animals dressed up in funny outfits. However, if you do a digital artwork, you CANNOT use any existing image of the character.

Schedule

The new schedule is easy. One week after the character is announced, the new character is announced and switched to. Absolutely, under no circumstances, are late entries acceptable. No exceptions.*

*Unless you say something. Then we'll make an exception.

Judging

When it's time to judge, the entire SWF community will have the chance to vote on your work. I have no say in who wins, besides who I vote for. There are 3 categories: Hand-drawn, which includes doodles, comics, paintings, and the like; Digital, for anything made on a computer, be it on paint or Photoshop; and Other, for macaroni art, marble statues, and the like.

Of course, you can't vote for yourself.

There is also an overall best vote, for which piece of art you think is the all-around best, and a most creative vote, for which one you think had the best idea (if not exactly drawn the best).

In total, each round, you will have potentially 5 votes to use.

If there is ever a tie, another voting contest will be held between the two.

VOTING FORMAT
Hand-Drawn: ***
Digital: ***
Creative: ***
Other: ***
Overall: ***
Do I get anything if I win?!

Eh, I might add you to my friend list. Or maybe I'll make a Character Selection screen with the winners of each category.

But really, I know you want to be in my friend list.

CURRENT ENTRIES

OTHER
-​

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

- WEEK 1: Yoshi
- WEEK 2: Zelda
- WEEK 3: Jigglypuff
- WEEK 4: Luigi
- WEEK 5: Bowser
- WEEK 6: Lucas
- WEEK 7: Ivysaur
- WEEK 8: Fox
- WEEK 9: MetaKnight
- WEEK 10: Roy
- WEEK 11: ROB
- WEEK 12: Peach
- WEEK 13: Olimar
- WEEK 14: Mario
- WEEK 15: Squirtle

Winners

WEEK 1: YOSHI

WEEK 2: ZELDA

• Overall: Spire III
  • Hand-Drawn: YagamiDark
  • Digital: Spire III
  • Creative: Zook

WEEK 3: JIGGLYPUFF

• Overall: Alex3
  • Hand-Drawn: Yagami Dark and Grunt
  • Digital: Zylar
  • Creative: Yagami Dark and Zook

WEEK 4: LUIGI

• Overall: Grunt
  • Hand-Drawn: Vulcan55 (SHORYUKEN!)
  • Digital: Zylar
  • Creative: Grunt and Keto

WEEK 5: BOWSER

• Overall: Ange
  • Hand-Drawn: Denzi
  • Digital: Legretta the Quick
  • Creative: Ange

WEEK 6: LUCAS

• Overall:
  • Hand-Drawn:
  • Digital:
  • Creative:
  • Other:

WEEK 7: IVYSAUR

• Overall:
  • Hand-Drawn:
  • Digital:
  • Creative:
  • Other:

WEEK 8: FOX

• Overall:
  • Hand-Drawn:
  • Digital:
  • Creative:
  • Other:

WEEK 9: METAKNIGHT

• Overall:
  • Hand-Drawn:
  • Digital:
  • Creative:
  • Other:

WEEK 10: ROY

• Overall:
  • Hand-Drawn:
  • Digital:
  • Creative:
  • Other:

WEEK 11: ROB

• Overall:
  • Hand-Drawn:
  • Digital:
  • Creative:
  • Other:

WEEK 12: PEACH

WEEK 13: OLIMAR

WEEK 14: MARIO

WEEK 15: SQUIRTLE

ZOOK'S HINT FOR NEXT WEEK'S CHARACTER:
*This was originally slated to go in the Artwork Emporium, but I realized that the majority of SWF never goes there.

**Zook, the original creator of DWYP, is a busy guy. Most everything you see above, the original concept, and rules were first decided by him, but due to his busy-ness, he's currently incapable of running this beloved competition anymore. I, Meno, am simply the new thread manager. I'll just be making some slight adjustments, and accepting all questions/comments/complaints on Zook's behalf. The old DWYP thread can be seen here.

Mit

Smash Ace
Gotta figure out if we're going to change submission dates. I strongly suggest Monday-Sunday, with voting Monday-Friday. Most entries won't show up until the end of the week anyways, and drawing on the weekend is something all of us artists have agreed needs to be allowed (since the majority of us have much more free time during the weekend).

Also, might want to include a link to the old thread in the OP somewhere.

And any new people reading this, we need your support too! Even if you can't draw, it'd be great if more people would vote every week.

Ange

Smash Lord
Awesome, Meno!

Now it feels like DWYP is alive again.

I wont nag you about this, but you betta keep the Archive updated. ;) Check Zylars Archive and latest voting results for the winners.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Uh, check the second post? Everything until Week 7 is already in there. I can understand that Meno took a break (for sleeping probably). Be patient. :p

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Hello, all!

Gotta figure out if we're going to change submission dates. I strongly suggest Monday-Sunday, with voting Monday-Friday. Most entries won't show up until the end of the week anyways, and drawing on the weekend is something all of us artists have agreed needs to be allowed (since the majority of us have much more free time during the weekend).
Hmm, I think think that thread might become stagnant that way. Maybe if we accept submissions Tuesday to Saturday, then vote Sunday to Monday?

Really, we don't need 5 days to vote.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I don't understand what character we are on now.
I would like to take part in some of these. =D

Mit

Smash Ace
I'm still going with Peach.

More submission discussion.

I just said Monday-Friday to give a nice even period of voting, could easily be Monday-Wednesday or something (that just seems a bit more difficult to remember.)

Sunday-Tuesday for voting and Wednesday-Saturday for submissions could work, although I still like the idea of overlapping voting with submission times, in order to maximize the time we can draw.

Pikamari

Smash Rookie
Its mario.
The first image is his taunt when he takes his hat off
the second image is his taunt when he spins then falls on the ground
the third image is when he grows

Gnarly Charlie

Smash Rookie
Its mario.
GENIUS!

I'm feeling pretty stupid for jumping the gun and drawing Peach now. Guess I'll just save that one for another week. Hahaha! I love how these hints have a whole 'nother layer to them!

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Brilliant if correct.

Moar submission time discussion.
i really dont see why voting needs to overlap submissions of the next week.
keep it two days to vote and five to draw like it is just make voting like monday and tuesday or sunday and monday like zook said.

Bitter Romantic

Smash Journeyman
Southern California [Anaheim/Fullerton, San Diego]
Its mario.
I feel silly thinking it was Peach :O
even if it were to be wrong [though unlikely], it's an amazing analysis <3

SO glad to see that this thing will continue :3

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Phew!

Done with a MASSIVE update. :psycho:

So yes, this week's character, as Zook has revealed to me, is PEACH! Zook will be revealing character's hopefully every Friday, with a hint before hand of course.

I've come up with a schedule that hopefully caters to everyone nicely. If not, we'll talk and look over it's flexibility. Look in OP for details. Deadline is Wednesday night! GO GO SWF artists!

Mit

Smash Ace
I've gotta say, I hate that schedule :\

It does allow for us to draw on the weekend, although I like to think about my idea, throw sketches around during the week when I have less time, and then finalize and put in all the hard work during the weekend.

On the schedule you posted, I'd have to do that backwards, which wouldn't really work out, and I'd just have to make the entire picture on Saturday/Sunday pretty much.

I say go with either Sunday/Monday as voting days, or Monday/Tuesday. Then we get the first part of the week to throw ideas around, and the final part of the week (the weekend), when we have the most time, to really finish up our pictures.

Also: great job on the aesthetics of the OP update.

:034:

Smash Hero
Peach? ****, I can't miss the chance... But I'm really busy the next couple days... What to do... What to do...

Oh well, I'll just draw her in skimpy clothing and call it a day.

Ange

Smash Lord
@Frown: You're too slow.

:sonic:

IC3R wins the cookie this time.

Im also pretty negative about that schedule. I do need my time to start up the picture during the week, then finish it off around Friday-Sunday. Especially if Im working in Photoshop.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
'Kay, schedule is still flexible as said.

I'll probably scoot it to drawing on Tuesday - Saturday, voting on Sunday - Monday, if reaction is still "bleh".

Moozle

Smash Champion
I really like the thing in the OP that says days when you can draw and days when you can vote Meno

Ahh Peach is my secondary I have to do SOMETHING

Mit

Smash Ace
Moar comments on the drawing/voting times. Surely more of you can weigh in on whether or not you like it.

I'd personally love it if we could just make this week an slightly longer week, and accept submissions until Saturday night, and vote Sunday-Monday. I'd like to do something more than a sketch for Peach :\

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'd personally love it if we could just make this week an slightly longer week, and accept submissions until Saturday night, and vote Sunday-Monday. I'd like to do something more than a sketch for Peach :\
Don't worry about missing deadlines this time - it's the first week of the new DWYP, it's still in experimentation mode. We'll be flexible, so no worries. :)

Top Bottom