• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragon Ball Movie

Aesir

Smash Master
Most people like dragonball because it's blonde guys that fight at unimaginable speeds firing giant blasts of energy at each other. Thats the average fan.
That's incredibly superficial, considering the bulk of the series Saiyans weren't even present in the series.

I understand you but aren't you the least bit dissapointed? I mean I grew up on the show since I was 7 and have watched and anylized it in every dorky way possible. You have to find something to nit pick. I wonder if anyone doing the movie are fans of the series. But hey you never know it might be a blockbuster and shut everyone up. But really It's impossible to please everyone.
No because I'm not fan who expects a movie to accurately emulate the show, I'm above that I know hollywood doesn't care and I know hollywood knows if you cater it to the fans you'll lose money.

from what I've seen I'm not upset.

They could have stayed to the story somewhat. In which time/saga fans would approve I don't know. Dragon Ball before it got the Z was the most enjoyable part. For me anyway. So I don't mind.
Whats so wrong? they sorta are sticking to a point, Goku is going to fight king Piccolo. Just so happens Goku is in high school. Are we really going to get hung up on technicalities? seriously lets not do that.

ShaolinAce

Smash Ace
That's incredibly superficial, considering the bulk of the series Saiyans weren't even present in the series.
I know that. I like The Tenkaichi Budokais 21-23. I'm just saying thats all the average fan knows. Most jumped in at the beggining of the Saiyan saga. They demand SSJ.

No because I'm not fan who expects a movie to accurately emulate the show, I'm above that I know hollywood doesn't care and I know hollywood knows if you cater it to the fans you'll lose money.

from what I've seen I'm not upset.
They could have done a little homework. Thats all I'm saying. This is no differant than the average Super Hero movie. But atleast each of those came somewhat close. How far DB has strayed away bothers me.

Whats so wrong? they sorta are sticking to a point, Goku is going to fight king Piccolo. Just so happens Goku is in high school. Are we really going to get hung up on technicalities? seriously lets not do that.
Well ok. But what happened to how Goku ran around with bulma finding the DB's and facing pilaf? Are they just going to skip his origins? And King Piccolo of all people has a big backstory aswell. master mutashio sealing him away.

I could go on and on. But It's ok. Hollywood doesn't care so why should we. Right? If thats you reasoning.

Aesir

Smash Master
Well ok. But what happened to how Goku ran around with bulma finding the DB's and facing pilaf? Are they just going to skip his origins? And King Piccolo of all people has a big backstory aswell. master mutashio sealing him away.
you realize how boring that movie would be to the general audience right? also compressing that to a 2.5 hour movie? Yeah not unreasonable at all.

I could go on and on. But It's ok. Hollywood doesn't care so why should we. Right? If thats you reasoning.
No my reasoning is I know what hollywood has to do to sell a product what you proposed is how hollywood can lose money. In America losing money is usually a bad thing.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Screens from the trailer have been leaked.

Dragonball

Goku in the traditional gear.

And....ugh.

Why can't they ever get the **** easy and obvious things right? They can't be real demons in Doom, they make them zombies, and now they can't even get Piccolo green? Ugh

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Of all things they choose to make piccolo NOT green. I hope this movie is good.
@Shaolin ace: SSJ wasn't even present until near the end of the freiza saga. Goku does look caucasian, mostly all anime characters lack an asian look. Few anime characters look asian. But who cares, its the acting and special fx that better be good.
Its "Master Mutaito" who sealed piccolo up.
The most popular thing would be energy battles and combat. So if goku does a single kamehameha they'll ZOMG
the average fan knows a lot about db,z,gt. Spectators know little. and have a vague perception of what's going on therefore boiling a scene down to blondes fighting. The fan can tell you what's up.
Hollywood is about money and how to make more money.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Wow, that looks awful. I'm at a loss for words about "Piccolo".

And Goku looks scrawny as ****.

Yeah, this movie's going to suck dragonballs.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
People where seriously expecting this be good?

Even after the live-action Speed Racer?
More like in spite of the live-action Speed Racer. That movie was pretty much as good as it could've been (some annoying things involving the kid and the monkey could've been done away with).

This movie looks bad on paper AND on the screen. I mean, it was off to a bad start just because no one outside of the Dragoball fandom would ever even give this movie a chance, but they're alienating the core fanbase too, by changing **** around.

This movie is already in the tank.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Well since it's obviously going to be bad I hope they at least try acknowledge how stupid it is and run with it. Alternatively they try to make it serious, fail and it's funny anyway.

Either way the winner is comedy.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
what, I've never seen no Simsons Dragonball movie, has it even came out yet? in any case they all look ridiculous but at the same time it's fun to watch knowing they look pathetic. *looks at FriBurns*

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Most people like dragonball because it's blonde guys that fight at unimaginable speeds firing giant blasts of energy at each other. Thats the average fan.
Like Aesir said, that's superficial, since not only were Saiyans not present for the majority of the entire series (Dragonball to Z), but in Dragonball Z they weren't even really used that way until the Majin Buu saga... or at least the very end of the Saiyan Saga.

And, yes, it's going to be bad. There's no getting around it. Maybe it'll go into So Bad It's Good territory, but we can only hope.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
There is a point where a movie can be so overhyped, so badly made, and so full to bursting with pretty graphics that it surpasses terrible and becomes a thing of legend.

This movie will be that legend.
This quote is amazing. You mind if I put it on the TV Tropes page for So Bad It's Good?

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Oh yes. Am i the only one on the boards who actually thinks that this movie doesn't look that bad? Maybe it's my huge Dragon Ball fetish i had for many years, but i actually will see it. Besides, Goku looks kinda cool.
Yes i'm as blind as heck. Shut up =P

And huge lol at the Simpsons image on Pg 1.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I didn't even think this was real until a few minutes ago. I'm getting a serious Dead or Alive/Speedracer vibe from this...it's not going to be pretty. And they could've at least made piccolo some sort of dull grayish green color instead of bright green...the peach skin just kills the whole "inhuman" look.

M@v

Subarashii!
known about this for a while. I can forgive them not imitating gokus hair, since its near impossible, BUT PICCOLO NOT GREEN!! THEY HAVE COMMITTED BLASPHEMY!

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Has anybody here seen the other live DragonBall movie? It's called DragonBall: The Magic Begins. If you haven't seen it, believe me, it is mandatory viewing. Get over to youtube and watch it now. No matter how bad this movie is it won't compare to that. Funniest movie I have ever seen.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Piccolo looks like a frign' vampire with a leather fetish.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
wtf is going onnnnnn

christine from phantom doing bulma? wat

i'll watch this just to watch it

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
Where I live? Why, location is a state of mind my
You know, before I make too many judgements on the film, I think I'd rather see the script on it first, and maybe see a trailer or two. Honestly, as long as they don't make any ridiculous changes to the story, and keep it in a form that's actually recognizable to us, it might have a decent chance of being decent.

The Piccolo thing is kinda sad though, I mean, if they had actually gone to the effort of changing him green, he woulda actually been a decent imitation (and the outfit kinda kills him to, he wore robes, not armor).

The Falconator

Smash Cadet
It's cetainly interesting, but I have a feeling it won't be too good. I don't know why I just don't have a good feeling.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
You know, before I make too many judgements on the film, I think I'd rather see the script on it first, and maybe see a trailer or two. Honestly, as long as they don't make any ridiculous changes to the story, and keep it in a form that's actually recognizable to us, it might have a decent chance of being decent.

The Piccolo thing is kinda sad though, I mean, if they had actually gone to the effort of changing him green, he woulda actually been a decent imitation (and the outfit kinda kills him to, he wore robes, not armor).
Apparently Goku also goes to high school.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Sigh...crap, now I know that they're going to make some significant changes in his character to. I mean, did Goku ever even go to any kind of school?
I get the feeling they're turning Goku into a "teen hero" in a poor attempt to connect with more people.

It's not going to go well.

Somewhere Akira Toriyama... doesn't care anymore...

Edit: Toriyama's not even involved in this movie, is he?

Shroomed

Smash Master
i'm already disappointed =(

wtf is mai doing, serving under piccolo

and no kami? WTF lol, still gonna c it tho

M@v

Subarashii!
I am going to see this just to see how bad it will crash and burn. I have a very bad feeling this is destined for massive failure.

Goku goes to school and gets bullied as a kid...yup. He was destroying dinosaurs at like 4 in the anime.

Piccolo is NOT green. lol wut?

Bulma is not blue hair from what I know right now. That either A. better not be true B. Better change it fast.

Goku's hair is normal. I can understand that though, considering a wig would look so fake.

And many more things.....

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Edit: Toriyama's not even involved in this movie, is he?
Seeing as how Tatsunoko, the company that makes the Speed Racer/Mach GO GO GO! anime, never bothered to even get their name/logo/licensing signed on to the Asian release of the live-action Speed Racer movie like the Wachowski brothers suggested, I doubt Toriyama even acknowledges this movie's relationship with anything he's done.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Wow, if they can't even get some green make up for Piccolo than I have very little faith in what else they're gonna do with the movie. I have a feeling this is going to turn into some generic action movie but with a few DBZ references strewn about to legitimize calling it DBZ. I'm hoping I wrong and that the movie does turn out okay, but at the moment, it doesn't look that way.

marcus0103

Smash Apprentice
Someone's name in the credits of the movie is Texas Battle? 0.o Seriously....wtf, was the pun intended? That's just... wow...

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
The trailer is horrible....

Bulma is hot though.

And yeah what hyper ridley said about this being a generic action movie with DBZ references....totallly true.

Epic fail of a movie.

Top Bottom