• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Keep in mind I'm a Melee Dr. Mario main, so there's no bias here when I say him coming back as anything more than an alternate costume is one of the most amusing things Smash 4 has given us.
I figured the italics would have indicated that I was just playing along. :p

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
This is about to make everybody mad, but I have to point this out to clear the misconceptions already being developed here:

• Dr. Mario is historically significant to the Nintendo universe, and his series includes very well-recognized (not necessarily good, just well-recognized) puzzle games, second only to Tetris.
  • Dr. Mario is different enough from Mario (especially now, since he probably won't be using F.L.U.D.D.) to deserve his own slot. Sakurai said something similar about Lucina. His clone status (more literal than other clones) didn't hurt his chances, but it's understood that Sakurai led almost everyone to believe that only unique characters would appear this time.
  • Dr. Mario had data on Brawl's disc. Roy did too, but Roy is bad. Very bad, and so severely unpopular that it would hurt Smash Bros. to put him back in lol (especially now that we have Lucina and Robin).
  • Mewtwo still has a shot, I shouldn't have to explain why unless you ask (tl;dr - given two Mega Evolutions in X/Y, almost as popular as Lucario or Pikachu, had data on Brawl's disc).
Also should add that Dr. Mario's demand as an alternate costume might have helped him too lol.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I figured the italics would have indicated that I was just playing along. :p
Oh, usually I recognize that kind of thing when people use a :troll: at the end of their statement.

tbh it's more easy to see that way than through italics, but that's just me.

Also Dr. Mario better not just be "Mario but better" again like he was in Melee, because then he'll be incredibly redundant and amount to a separate character that you might as well call wasted development that could've been better done on Mario himself.

He better have more weaknesses to balance him from Mario, basically. Dr. Mario's "weaknesses" in Melee did little to hamper him.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
You know, upon thinking about it, the only really sad thing about Doc's inclusion is that I can't play him in the 'Murica NES Open costume. (At least there'll likely still be the kickass black alt.)

Last edited:

SonicN64

Banned via Warnings
Oh, usually I recognize that kind of thing when people use a :troll: at the end of their statement.

tbh it's more easy to see that way than through italics, but that's just me.

Also Dr. Mario better not just be "Mario but better" again like he was in Melee, because then he'll be incredibly redundant and amount to a separate character that you might as well call wasted development that could've been better done on Mario himself.

He better have more weaknesses to balance him from Mario, basically. Dr. Mario's "weaknesses" in Melee did little to hamper him.
What was Dr.Mario weakness?

TrevonMarrast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luigicheesecake
Doctor Mario's side smash was shorter than Mario's, his neutral special was different, and his side special was also different.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
What was Dr.Mario weakness?
Aside from his shorter f-smash and cape, his recovery was worse than Mario's (side-B didn't make you rise as much, and up-B was shorter). But in a game like Melee where onstage play was dominant and getting offstage was only a good idea with characters like Peach and Jigglypuff, it didn't matter that he wouldn't be able to recover as much anyway. His onstage game was MUCH better with Mario's, with better throws, a much more useful projectile to spam, faster horizontal aerial mobility, and a fair that could KO from ANYWHERE on the stage instead of just the edge like Mario's.

All of these changes could have been made to Mario himself. As good as Dr. Mario was to play, that was the problem--despite these weaknesses, he was still Buffed Mario.

So yeah, worse recovery didn't mean much in Melee. On the bright side, though, this isn't Melee, so perhaps the Smash 4 team will better balance him with his plumber outfit and Luigi, and the rest of the cast, rather than completely overshadow one of them.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I'm really glad he's back in, he was one of my favorites in Melee, so I can't wait to see him in HD/3D!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Dr Mario back with no sign of Mewtwo is the most .....

beautiful thing I've ever seen:troll:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
What do you suppose Doc's final smash will be like?

I almost wish it had the virus dudes attacking random people, but I'm not sure how that'd turn out...

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Seeing how Dr. Mario is returning, I think he should have some changes. Here's what I got so far:
Up tilt: Rubber hammer uppercut: Dr. Mario uses one of those rubber hammers (that are used to test reflexes) as an uppercut move.
Side Smash: Apple: Dr. Mario throws a apple (that you can charge of course). Also, this can be picked up to heal 3% damage.
Up Smash: Clear!: Like Megaman's Spark Shot, Dr. Mario gets out one of those electric thingies (you know what I'm talking about :p ) and uses it electrocute opponents.
Down Smash: Heart Beat: Dr. Mario pulls out his stethoscope, and bangs it on the ground, and acts like Donkey Kong's hand slap.
Down Aerial: Virus Drop: Acts like Megaman's Hard Knuckle except slower.
Side Special: Arm Band Catch: This one may not make sense :p . As a projectile is coming, use the Arm Band to catch it, then throw it back. Acts like Villager's pocket.
Up Special: Arm Band Float: Dr. Mario inflates the arm band, floating him up.
Final Smash: Dr. Mario Game: Many viruses drop on the stage, causing major knockback.
So, what do you think?

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I would love it if Doc played like P:M Mario.
The reason I play Doc is because he's a risky Mario that can kill quick, contrasting regular Mario who is a safer character but has a much harder time getting the kill.

PM Mario is a safe character that can kill quick. Not fun and borderline too good for me. :V

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm looking forward to seeing his Final Smash. Hopefully it'll be something that references the Doctor Mario games. Though it could be just an Electric version of Mario's Final Smash.

I'm thinking that one of his Pill Variants will have explosive pills. It could work.

The reason I play Doc is because he's a risky Mario that can kill quick, contrasting regular Mario who is a safer character but has a much harder time getting the kill.

PM Mario is a safe character that can kill quick. Not fun and borderline too good for me. :V
Respect the greatness of the plumber.

Last edited:

SonicN64

Banned via Warnings
Seeing how Dr. Mario is returning, I think he should have some changes. Here's what I got so far:
Side Smash: Apple: Dr. Mario throws a apple (that you can charge of course). Also, this can be picked up to heal 3% damage.
Up Smash: Clear!: Like Megaman's Spark Shot, Dr. Mario gets out one of those electric thingies (you know what I'm talking about :p ) and uses it electrocute opponents.
Down Smash: Heart Beat: Dr. Mario pulls out his stethoscope, and bangs it on the ground, and acts like Donkey Kong's hand slap.
Side Special: Arm Band Catch: This one may not make sense :p . As a projectile is coming, use the Arm Band to catch it, then throw it back. Acts like Villager's pocket.
Final Smash: Dr. Mario Game: Many viruses drop on the stage, causing major knockback.
So, what do you think?
The side special sounds unfair. Being able to throw apples and use them to heal yourself? Yeah, that's TOTALLY CHEATING.

Polo

Smash Cadet
The Doc is one of those characters I never knew I wanted. He was one of my most-used characters in Melee, and the character I would play as if I wanted to win (Mewtwo was my favourite, but Dr. Mario was of course leaps and bounds better competitively).
However, I really didn't like Brawl Mario. He just didn't feel anywhere near as good as Dr. Mario (or regular Mario) did in Melee for me. Thus, a moveset that I really enjoyed in Melee became one I never touched in Brawl.
From what I had seen, Smash 4 Mario seemed very similar to Brawl Mario, and I was once again ready to write off what was formerly one of my favourite movesets. Now, all of a sudden, it seems like Dr. Mario is back in the game again, and after thinking about it, I am very happy with his inclusion.

Dr. Mario may well solve all of my gripes with Mario's changes in Brawl, as my main issues with Brawl Mario were that his moves didn't feel powerful enough, and that the Mario Tornado was gone (well, not quite, but it felt odd as a Dair imo). Both of these are issues that Dr. Mario will be likely to solve, if he's anything like his Melee self. Oh, and the megavitamins are pretty dang awesome too (who doesn't love those sound effects?).

Oh, and one more thing, I don't think Dr. Mario and Mewtwo supporters should be arguing with each other. From what I've seen in the Mewtwo thread, the majority of Mewtwo supporters there are actually happy that Dr. Mario is coming back, because it proves that Sakurai is willing to bring back previously cut characters.
You will occasionally get someone who thinks that Dr. Mario got in "instead of" Mewtwo, but really, I doubt that the Doc took up much development time. If his situation was anything like Lucina's, then he was probably originally just going to be an alternate costume, until Sakurai decided to expend a little bit of extra development time to add him to the roster as a slightly altered clone (due to his slight differences to regular Mario, like megavitamins). He certainly wouldn't have been resource-consuming enough to replace an entire unique character.
In fact, Sakurai said he added the six clones to Melee (Falco, Roy, Young Link, Pichu, Ganondorf, and Dr. Mario himself) in the time it would have taken for him to add one unique character, who would have been King Dedede (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37915502&postcount=7506).

Last edited:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I'm quite excited to see what customization options DM's going to get. I guess we're all assuming he'll have his old DownB (FLUDD wouldn't make any sense), and his pills probably won't be customizable in the same way as Mario's fireballs.

Maybe his normals will be altered as well! Can't wait to see him in action.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Up tilt: Rubber hammer uppercut: Dr. Mario uses one of those rubber hammers (that are used to test reflexes) as an uppercut move.
So, what do you think?
Added an Up-tilt idea.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So, what do you think?
I've seen a few movelist suggestions like this that make Doc more of...well, an abstract representation of his chosen profession. It puts me in mind of Valentine from Skullgirls or Dr Psyche from Mega Man.

I am every conceivable shade of okay with this.

McMilla1228

Smash Cadet
Not important, but I remember that the Nintendo Power Player's Guide had a name for every attack that the characters had and used in Melee. Here is Dr. Mario's.

Weak Attacks

1-2-3: Left Jab, Right Cross, Toe Kick

Strong Attacks

Upward: Uppercut
Forward: Dr. Kick
Downward: Reflex Test

SMASH ATTACKS:

Upward: Ear, Nose & Throat
Forward: Defibrillator
Downward: Surgical Sweep

Dash Attack: Slide

Aerial Attacks:

Center: Dr. Kick
Front: Dr. Punch
Back: Drop Kick, M.D.
Up: Bicycle Kick
Down: Bone Drill

Special Attacks

Standard B: Megavitamins
Foward B: Super Sheet
Upward B: Super Jump Punch
Downward B: Dr. Tornado

Grapples and Throw Downs

Pummel: Eye Exam
Front: Routine Physical
Back: Traction
Up: Check Up
Down: Hospital Bed

Well, that's another one.
Do you have more of these?

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I have a question for this thread. I was having a discussion with my girlfriend and I was just wondering, is Dr. Mario typically portrayed to be from a different universe mushroom kingdom? Or is he just Mario who decided to be a doctor from time to time?

Last edited:

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
I always liked Dr. Mario. He'll definiely be my secondary regardless of what this final roster turns out to be. Good to have the Dr. back.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I'm glad the Doc's back, i admit i wanted him as an alt costume, but you know, if there's a clone of Link, Marth and even Pit, why wouldn't there be one or Mr. Nintendo himself?
Can't wait to prescript some KOs with his fair.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I have a question for this thread. I was having a discussion with my girlfriend and I was just wondering, is Dr. Mario typically portrayed to be from a different universe mushroom kingdom? Or is he just Mario who decided to be a doctor from time to time?
It's an interesting question. I've wondered that myself a bit, but it seems to me that it's not discussed much. My gut tells me that Dr. Mario is just Mario in a costume with different abilities, but Doc might be some kind of friendly doppelganger. Who's to say? I think, outside the puzzle games, Smash has been his only major appearance. I might be wrong. Correct me if I am, please.

And yeah... Can we lay off the Mewtwo bashing? I am a Mewtwo fan, but I love Doc just the same. Almost no one is salty over Doc coming back, and he and Mewtwo do not effect one another. They should not be rivals! Hell, people get annoyed at K.Rool or Ridley people at times, but honestly, Mewtwo fans tend to be hella cool. Let's just enjoy Doc together, okay? If Mewtwo makes it back as well, I hope you guys come on over and celebrate with us! You're more than welcome to :)

I've still never seen anyone give any ideas for Doc's final smash that wasn't just a cosmetic difference to Mario's. I kinda hope it's a bit cooler than that. And, like @ BADGRAPHICS BADGRAPHICS mentioned, I'm dying to see what his custom moves are like. I kinda wish the bedsheet gets swapped for a new move, but I guess we'll see. Nothing wrong with the bedsheet, mind you, I just think Doc has potential for something more interesting.

Folt

Smash Ace
Dr. Mario's Final Smash will presumably involve viruses and pills... and I don't think that would make it look much like the Mario Finale.

As for Dr. Mario himself, I could see him being reminiscent of the old Mario's moveset mixed with some of Dr. Mario's Melee properties (F-Smash, Bair, and so on and on).

And either way, I'm happy for his return, since he was one of my favorite clones alongside Ganondorf.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Doc's Final Smash - something like this, perhaps?

Seriously, though, I'd like to think it''ll involve Megavitamins and viruses in some way. I've heard suggestions that it could drop a series of Megavitamins and viruses down onto the screen in the vein of PK Starstorm, or that it would infect people and grant status effects in the same way that Negative Zone does. I'll be most amusing all the same, that much I'm certain of.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
He need's his own Stage. And needs a few different specials from Mario.

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually kind of happy to see Doc back on the roster. If anything, he's my favorite variation of Mario (Doc > Luigi > Mario). I can only assume he was in a similar position to Lucina ie: an alt turned into a character to pad out the roster.

As for his Final Smash, I'd love it if he went off stage and it became a game of Dr. Mario. The player would control the pills as they fell from the sky and they'd cause knockback on contact with characters. Maybe even make it so that matching up three pill-halves of the same color would cause a sort of shockwave of knockback in that area as they cleared the screen.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
I dont mind doctor mario coming back if mewtwo comes back too.
i like the doctor in melee. i kinda am in the crowd of " would rather have marios alternate costume be doctor marios garb and have pills be an optional standard b via custom movesets" but hey, there are much worse that could have taken his place (who here wants pichu back? *sees a sign of zero hands* good. pichu was pretty terrible all the way through. being a clone whose own element hurts it. but i digress. good for challenge. not so good overall though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom