• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I turned tap jump off in the Smash 3DS for the first time in a Smash game and did not regret it. It makes short hops a lot easier, especially SH u-airs which are very helpful on Doc in particular. It also makes it easier to do u-tilts without jumping by accident.

Having tap jump off in any other Smash game feels really awkward though; I just can't play well with it that way.
You mean on the Wii U version right when using the GC controller? If I turn the tap jump off I might suddenlt can't react it fast at first and then forgot to recover... Just like what @ Kisatamura Kisatamura mentioned.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
You mean on the Wii U version right when using the GC controller? If I turn the tap jump off I might suddenlt can't react it fast at first and then forgot to recover... Just like what @ Kisatamura Kisatamura mentioned.
I actually don't have the Wii U version yet. I need tap jump on in Brawl, Melee, 64 and even Super Smash Flash 2 and Super Smash Bros. Crusade.

Recovery is hard to adjust to, but after spending some minutes in training mode and playing a couple matches with tap jump off, I was able to get used to it on 3DS.

Going back to the custom moves topic from before, Breezy Sheet is just awesome. Using it to gimp is very effective and satisfying and blowing opponents away on stage is useful. It's kind of like a mix between Super Sheet/Cape and F.L.U.D.D. in a way. Does Super Sheet have any advantages over it at all? The only thing I'm seeing is slightly more endlag which isn't that noticeable and doesn't matter when your opponent is blown away from you.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I actually don't have the Wii U version yet. I need tap jump on in Brawl, Melee, 64 and even Super Smash Flash 2 and Super Smash Bros. Crusade.

Recovery is hard to adjust to, but after spending some minutes in training mode and playing a couple matches with tap jump off, I was able to get used to it on 3DS.

Going back to the custom moves topic from before, Breezy Sheet is just awesome. Using it to gimp is very effective and satisfying and blowing opponents away on stage is useful. It's kind of like a mix between Super Sheet/Cape and F.L.U.D.D. in a way. Does Super Sheet have any advantages over it at all? The only thing I'm seeing is slightly more endlag which isn't that noticeable and doesn't matter when your opponent is blown away from you.
Me too... I don't have a Wii U yet, and bad news bro. Recently my circle pad is broken, so I can't play Smash for a while until I buy a new one.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

The only real advantage normal has is more damage (an aspect of sheet people don't really care for)
and losing potential punishes on reversing laggy moves up close.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

I've found that Breezy Sheet's only real takeback is the lessened damage and the slightly increased endlag. Optimally, one might prefer Breezy over standard, but both are fine in their own merit.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Without tap jump though you miss out on OOS UpB.
What I do is map L to Jump and hit it at the same time as Up and B. Takes a bit of getting used to but it works. I don't need L for wavedashing in this game sooo...

Tap jump is just way way way too sensitive this iteration on a GC controller, IMO.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
What I do is map L to Jump and hit it at the same time as Up and B. Takes a bit of getting used to but it works. I don't need L for wavedashing in this game sooo...

Tap jump is just way way way too sensitive this iteration on a GC controller, IMO.
Ah, I knew something wasn't working right when I switched to tap jump. I just need to press my L jump button and Up B at the same time.

Thanks for the indirect help. :)

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Ah, I knew something wasn't working right when I switched to tap jump. I just need to press my L jump button and Up B at the same time.

Thanks for the indirect help. :)
Yes, it eliminates the need for tap jump which I find is just too damn finicky. It was fine the past 3 games but here it's like...no.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So, Soaring Tornado from what I can tell is actually a lot more useful as an attack than even I expected. The hitbox at the end of the move is active for 19 frames. Keeping in mind it can kill from center stage around 117%.

This is actually really good for juggles and edgeguards, or even catching spotdodges sometimes. If you space this correctly, you can straight up beat a lot of edgeguard attempts with this move, and potentially kill your opponent in the process. It's not completely unviable to chase people above you with this move either given you have a lot of leeway for spacing this move vertically and the hitbox on this move is extremely good. Your opponent has to respect this option, and this can be especially good for chasing people who are conditioned into jumping away from you when you try to juggle them.

Very different move from Dr. Tornado, but no less useful. Definitely would recommend people experimenting with using this move as an attack in addition to its recovery utility.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
That's a cute goofball option but....IDK how well it's going to work outside of edgeguarding as far as on-stage goes. Like, maybe once or twice? If the move didn't have obnoxious windboxes that pushed people away if you didn't space its almost 30 frame window correctly. My other problem with it as an attack on-stage is the lack of horizontal air control it has which just seems...less useful. Edgeguarding I guess makes more sense but even with its 19 frame window you shoot upwards and lose control for all of those frames so you're making a very large commitment (on all accords)

I think it's strictly recovering and I guess edgeguarding? I don't use the move a lot (don't plan to) so I guess that's something. I just wouldn't rely on it to be super consistent in high level play in a practical sense. Either way I guess it just boils down to preference.

Last edited:

Dr. Mello

Smash Rookie
I use the the nado as a jump attack/approach. Try and jump into their space with that move, similar spacing to an up b. Its def one of the best moves doc has but im sure that is old news. And Im pretty sure if you get the move off correctly you can actually direct the direction they go flying (was doing it a lot yesterday, not sure if this is actually the case). my new fav combo is ariel up a into an up b.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Hello, Doc boards!
I used to play Doc just for fun and all, convinced he was one of the worst characters in the game, but now I'm not so sure. I think people wrote Dr. Mario off too quickly since all judgement on Doc was just direct comparison to Mario, but when you use the two back to back, theyre practically totally different characters.
He's not the best, but I think he can deal serious hurt--he might be the biggest underdog in the roster actually.

EDIT: Oh, what I came to the thread for was to ask how and when to use the Doctor Tornado. I find it to be a powerful edgeguard or maybe to follow up with a throw but otherwise I'm kind of lost on when it comes to whipping it out.

Last edited:

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: Oh, what I came to the thread for was to ask how and when to use the Doctor Tornado. I find it to be a powerful edgeguard or maybe to follow up with a throw but otherwise I'm kind of lost on when it comes to whipping it out.
Master perfect Tornado mashing and you'll practically be able to use the Tornado whenever you want.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Hello, Doc boards!
Oh, what I came to the thread for was to ask how and when to use the Doctor Tornado. I find it to be a powerful edgeguard or maybe to follow up with a throw but otherwise I'm kind of lost on when it comes to whipping it out.

It's mainly used to punish spotdodges, rolls though it can be used as an approach, albeit a risky one.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hi Coolwhip. We are a small, but nice collection of Doc users.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
oh yeah, the pills do enough damage to knock back the gordos lol.

i might be picking up doc and bair and up b are amazing and idk if it's just me with doc but i feel like doc has the potential to be really good at gimping. this is because of the combination between cape (not that useful but it's there), dair priority, nair priority, pills, and bair/up b, maybe up air's weird uses at times as well.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Ya his tornado move is pretty fantastic. I hear ALL the time "his recovery game is horrid" but actually you just have to... make it good with some button mashing. using Doc's tornado to recover can get you places.. just takes effort.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
You know, at first I thought my main was going to be Bowser.

But I think Dr. Mario is my main; he feels so good for me that I think he's replaced Bowser as my main fighter.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
More sufficient evidence as to the use of both Tornados. Very interesting stuff (I still prefer Nado 1 in most cases because I like its ability to beat rolls and stuff along with other traits it has but Soaring Tornado also has great cheese factor)

EDIT: For the record I am now an advocate of using either Down-B 1 or Down-B 2 in a customs set depending on how you play Doc + MU specific stuff if 100% required. Down-B 2 is insane if you use it on someone who's coming down at you when planned right. 19 frames and none of them are anything but a clean hit, so cheese.

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Agreed. I think most of the Docs here underestimated the Soaring Tornado's abilities over Dr. Tornado. Soaring Tornado deals 6% at the end hitbox, enough to kill way earlier than Dr. Tornado.

I think I had it the other way around, with the Ol' One Two. Soaring Tornado should be able to act as an incredibly strong edgeguard tool that can really help Doc. Of course, I still don't agree with the fact that you can't combo into Soaring Tornado and it's nonexistent horizontal distance, but it's way better at killing than regular Tornado.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Agreed. I think most of the Docs here underestimated the Soaring Tornado's abilities over Dr. Tornado. Soaring Tornado deals 6% at the end hitbox, enough to kill way earlier than Dr. Tornado.

I think I had it the other way around, with the Ol' One Two. Soaring Tornado should be able to act as an incredibly strong edgeguard tool that can really help Doc. Of course, I still don't agree with the fact that you can't combo into Soaring Tornado and it's nonexistent horizontal distance, but it's way better at killing than regular Tornado.
So in other words, it's the best nado' that Doc has? I don't have his customs (too lazy) so I wouldn't know.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
The best Nado Doc has is interchangeable depending on MU and in some cases player preference vs. the opponent. Neither of the two is outright BETTER IMO, they both have their uses and they're both very good at what they do. It's up to the MU (sometimes) and the player (most of the time) to pick between the two, honestly. Also picking a Nado can also rely on player habits. Do you punish them above, or on the ground? Really I think the only Nado that doesn't make the cut is Nado-3. Nado-1 and Nado-2 are both excellent moves that have a strong purpose.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Omni's vid was pretty hype. I loved his reactions to it.

That said, Fast Pills are way more of a factor than the Nados are in a custom environment.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Ya know I'll just start socializing. So what kind of music yew gorls like.

My favorite singers would be
Lady Gaga
Taylor Swift
Colbie Calliat

How about yew guys.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Blue Stahli and Celldweller.

I like metal. :3
I don't even like metal and these are two of my favorite artists. :3
Along with them, Pendulum, Muse, Michael Jackson, Julien-K and Gorillaz stand out. You could say that I like alternative rock and electronic music, with other stuff thrown in. Just not country.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
My favorite band will always be Glory Hill, though they're pretty indie.

Recently I've been listening to playlists of the old Guitar Hero soundtracks and some of the indie songs are amazing.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
so no ones here a pop fan
I tolerate what's on the radio and will tap my feet if I particularly enjoy the beat of it, but really, my soul bleeds rock and metal.

I especially enjoy music with a good riff and meaningful lyrics. If a song can make me think or even tear up a little, I know it's a good work of art. The song quoted in my signature (IAMX's This Will Make You Love Again, also covered by Blue Stahli) is nothing less than sublime - listen to it and realise the true beauty inherent in life.

LucasBlitz

Smash Rookie
NNID
LucasBlitz
3DS FC
4141-3310-4813
Should we just label Doc as a high skill cap character? I too thought he sucked but after a while hes pretty great despite his abysmal speed

Top Bottom