• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Be sure to pack a customs set that involves using Nado 1. As in, REALLY be sure to. It's great for MUs where you don't have to go out deep (you can egdeguard with it better than Bair, really.)

Really the only customs Doc needs to be truly disgusting are Fast Capsules and Breezy Sheet (although you have an excuse to use Shock Cape since you don't technically lose a stall like Mario would). Anything else is down to preference and MU specific stuff.

Als IMO Down-B 2 only lets you go vertically deep since the cooldown is pretty bleh and you get no horizontal control. I prefer Down-B 1 for reasons but it's universally agreed on that Fast Capsule is godlike.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I'll try nado 1 with Jesus cape and God pills tomorrow.

Well well well nado 1 is better after all, docs recovery is good enough on its own. And because nado 1 is such a good edge guard tool im starting to not see the use of breezy cape, certain matchups such as ike, marth, lucina, luigi, rosalina, ness, c.falcon, ganondorf etc get butt blasted by this cape.

The electrical cape is a good get off me move as well as it dealing the same amount of damage as down throw to uair all in one move, it can kill but honestly doc has a lot of kill moves. Only time I find this useful was against default MM after grabbing his MB I camped him with fast capsules and he couldn't win because his crash bomb start up is slower, I literally fended him off with my specials alone. The cape was good for the damage, nado was a good roll punisher and fast capsules forced him to approach. When he was at death percent I threw it away since I knew I was getting on his nerves.

Its funny how custom doc can beat default luigi and custom luigi handily, he's so good with 2 different specials nado and jump punch should and always be remained untouched.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Nado really is ridiculous. I actually got help from the Zelda social (THANKS ALL OF Y'ALL) with data mining and found out Tornado has insane priority due to large hitbubbles that are 7 units out from his body. Not disjointed perse but rather, REALLY far out and they probably stretch out past his hurtbox a bit. These hitboxes suck in to the body hitboxes since there are small ones on the inside (presumably for the suck in combo part).

Also fun fact, if Doc Nado did 2% more damage it would kill on-stage at 100% or so. Yes, damage is THAT big of a factor.

Without customs Doc is somewhere in the middle region of this game IMO, but with them...hehehehehe, probably a bit higher in the same area but things get so much easier! Character is super dumped on cause he isn't Mario but the truth is in the Tornado.....

Also I stick with Breezy Sheet strictly because it's an upgraded Super Sheet, really. Electro Sheet has weird momentum but Doc can theoretically run it without much issue because he never stalled in the first place so you lose nothing by going to it.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Electro Sheet is indeed awkward, i think its cuz i can't reflect with it and it messes my momentum i'll stick with 2211 combo its just so good. Any MU that isn't in MK favor gets countered by Doc especially Luigi who's been a pain to fight with my MK.

My only problem with default Doc is his pills, MU such as DDD is a piece of cake but small characters such as Ness can avoid it due to the arc the pills bounce at. Fast pills would make default Doc mid high the cape brings him higher imo, out of all the clones Doc plays differently to his original but he also gets the most buffs from customs.

I know that feel of characters getting dumped on, people sleeping on MK when he probably has the edge against their main. Doc is good but of course without customs they'll see no reason to touch him when you got Mario.

Anyone who recovers over the ledge = Breezy Cape.

Ledge snappers = Nado.

Me gusta.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Yeah customs Doc is definitely much better, and really it's just cause of Fast Capsules (although breezy sheet helps.) Granted Pills are GREAT on Battlefield or a stage like Lylat but are pretty bad on Flat stages.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Lol that 70:30 ratio.

I think it's good that some Rosalinas know that Tornado can be used to knock away Luma. I'll head over and give some help~

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I can see why he said 70:30 Doc does get beaten, the MU is definitely in her favor i think you guys are pushing it by saying its 50:50. Keep in mind they already discussed Mario one move won't make a huge difference especially with his poor mobility.

Like really caping her recovery? its possible but that's only if you catch them off guard, Anti gimped Rosa with Mario using the cape but notice how he switched to Diddy after he knew that wouldn't work again.

70:30 is basically saying he can't do jack **** to her i'd say its 65/60:34/40. Dunno about custom Doc vs Rosa never fought her with my custom doc. Would suggest getting a secondary that covers bad MU such as Marth,Lucina,Ike,Rosalina. I got MK that beats those characters pretty well and Doc cures my ebola(luigi) especially with customs where he outright beats him.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
I don't think any of us are pushing it as even, I'd say it's more like 60:40 because Rosalina can still zone out Doc without Luma. I think the reason why some of the Docs here are pushing the matchup as more favorable for Doc than it is for Mario is because the ability to kill Luma easier than Mario makes approaching easier for Doc. Mario has to deal with Luma since his only options for seperating Rosalina and Luma is a reverse USmash, DSmash or Back Throw. As far as I'm concerned, Rosalina can still fight when she gets approached so Mario being faster or Doc having a better projectile doesn't really mean each Mario is better than the other. Though 70:30 is like saying Doc gets mollywhopped. 65:35 or 60:40 is better sounding.

I don't know how it is with customs, but I think Luma would tank Fast Capsule.

Also I don't know where you're getting caping from but I think caping is a rare opportunity in this game for both Mario and Doc. Doc shouldn't be caping especially against Rosalina in any case, since if Rosalina got caped then that means the Rosalina player messed up.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Not sure how this moved to the Social thread, but this does give me the opportunity to say a few things without derailing the MU thread.

70:30 is pretty insane, almost as much as that 75:25 verdict vs Bowser. Like, seriously. Rosalina is not a powerhouse. Her performance mainly hinges on staying safe and not getting caught in anything. The entirety of her MUs is based on who can break her defense.

And honestly, that defense can be broken as long as one remains patient, as skills increase across the board, more and more players are starting to realize that Rosie is actually pretty weak without Luma. In nearly every tournament, Rosie players stalls, rolls around, spotdodges, and platform camps until Luma returns.

Now when Luma returns, what matters next is, has Rosalina reset the situation? Because if she did not, Luma returning doesn't mean anything. There has been more than one time that I've witnessed Luma being immediately KO'd right after respawn due to being in a terrible position. This has happened to myself more than once as well.

So what does this mean, exactly?

It means characters that are able to keep pressure on Rosalina will be the ones that give her a hard time. This means all the top tiers, plus Yoshi, Luigi, Mario, Peach, and so on will have better MUs against her than others who rely on defensive, slow-based play.

Doc doesn't have this ability to keep pressure onto Rosalina once he gets inside, and that is solely because of his poor mobility. That said, 70:30 is a stretch because Doc is capable of racking up damage fast once he does get inside, and he requires less reads since he has plenty of KO power. Plus he's not that slow.

I don't think any of us are pushing it as even, I'd say it's more like 60:40 because Rosalina can still zone out Doc without Luma. I think the reason why some of the Docs here are pushing the matchup as more favorable for Doc than it is for Mario is because the ability to kill Luma easier than Mario makes approaching easier for Doc. Mario has to deal with Luma since his only options for seperating Rosalina and Luma is a reverse USmash, DSmash or Back Throw. As far as I'm concerned, Rosalina can still fight when she gets approached so Mario being faster or Doc having a better projectile doesn't really mean each Mario is better than the other. Though 70:30 is like saying Doc gets mollywhopped. 65:35 or 60:40 is better sounding.

I don't know how it is with customs, but I think Luma would tank Fast Capsule.

Also I don't know where you're getting caping from but I think caping is a rare opportunity in this game for both Mario and Doc. Doc shouldn't be caping especially against Rosalina in any case, since if Rosalina got caped then that means the Rosalina player messed up.
Mario can separate Luma from Rosalina with D-air, which is a lot easier to pull off than B-throw and Doc's Nado. It may not kill, but getting Luma out of position is enough for Mario to press his advantage on Rosie. Furthermore, Mario has a much easier time juggling Rosalina than Doc does. Doc honestly does not have an easier time taking out Luma and keeping pressure on Rosie.

I do agree on Capes being rare. It's really just capitalizing on opponent's mistakes. This is why I say Doc's edgeguarding is overall better than Mario's since Doc Nado, D-air, B-air, and N-air are much more preferable to Mario's aerials. FLUDD and Air Speed are the only wildcards in Mario's kit.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There's also the fact that in spite of Gravitational Pull, Rosalina is still pressured
by projectiles in neutral. Unless it's an item, she can't send back what you throw at her,
lowering the move's threat. It's good for avoiding landing traps, though.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
For the love of God, what is his drill kick for? What does it do? The startup and landing are so disgustingly long you'll probably never land the damn thing.
On a side note, who else gushes and giggles like a schoolgirl everytime they land a Doc Punch?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
For the love of God, what is his drill kick for? What does it do? The startup and landing are so disgustingly long you'll probably never land the damn thing.
With Fast-fall, it covers the lower-half of his body with a hitbox, making it decent as an anti-juggle move. It also catches rolls and spotdodges, and applies shield pressure when coupled with Doc Tornado.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
With Fast-fall, it covers the lower-half of his body with a hitbox, making it decent as an anti-juggle move. It also catches rolls and spotdodges, and applies shield pressure when coupled with Doc Tornado.
So it's Dr. Tornado with his feet?

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
It's a quicker Tornado with less knockback potential, comparable to how Bowser has his DownB and his dair.

It's a good move to throw out if you're getting too predictable.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
It was also an easy move to clone from Luigi, like the Tornado was, along with having the bonus function of being his pre-Brawl Dair.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Nado is likely the reason you can even play this character, yeah. It doesn't magically fix his flaws that are a gateway to him being super viable, but on a competitive level I'd rank him in the niche counterpicks area + viable with secondaries. Nado does so much for him, if it was gone lord knows where he'd be.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Yep Nado is awesome in this game. I'm also really finding d-throw, u-air, b-air, Super Sheet and Megavitamins to be very useful. In fact, Doc's entire moveset is very strong. It's just the sluggish movement and poor vertical recovery that hold him back (which are both signficant flaws).

Good thing that customs are going to be in some tournaments soon. Rising Tornado, Gust Cape and Fast pills will do a lot for him in many matchups.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'm probably an idiot, but, as a Dr. Mario main, I use Breezy Sheet, Dr. Tornado, Super Jump Punch, and Megavitamins. From what I've seen, most of those are considered fine except for Megavitamins. I just don't see the value in Fast Capsules. Yes, they go fast, but the knockback they do doesn't seem to be enough for me to actually use it, unlike Megavitamins, and they only fly straight. I tend to use Megavitamins in midair, so the flying straight thing isn't very helpful, and while they do miss shorter characters, it seems that using Fast Capsules doesn't really do much in alleviating that issue. Yes, they hit the short characters, but the knockback seems too insignificant to make use of. Plus, I can hit them by positioning my self correctly or by throwing the Megavitamins while airborne.
I really hope this doesn't sound mean. I'm just curious as to why Fast Capsules are considered the best.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Fast Capsules are the closest thing you'll get to old Falco lasers in this game. They're well, fast and safe, and they force your opponent to play on your terms. I would primarily use regular Pills against Link.

I refuse to ever use Soaring Tornado or whatever. Down-B 1 for life. Breezy Sheet and Fast Capsules though....yeah I'm down with that.
I would personally say regular Tornado is mandatory primarily against Sonic and ZSS as a way to limit their mobility. However Soaring Tornado really helps you cover a greater range of vertical options, which is Mario/Doc's primary weakness offstage because they're both pretty bad at covering vertical options, and especially in matchups like Pikachu and G&W where you're really easily edgeguarded, Soaring Tornado is huge.

With Soaring Tornado also I believe Doc does somewhat better against characters like Ness, Greninja, Shulk, Sheik, and Lucario, who you can all actually chase offstage feasibly by running that custom. All the other matchups are preference imo.

I mean yeah, regular Tornado edgeguards are awesome and all, but Doc actually has a lot of really good attacks for edgeguarding which all work better when you run Soaring Tornado for deep chases.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Fast Capsules are the closest thing you'll get to old Falco lasers in this game. They're well, fast and safe, and they force your opponent to play on your terms. I would primarily use regular Pills against Link.

I would personally say regular Tornado is mandatory primarily against Sonic and ZSS as a way to limit their mobility. However Soaring Tornado really helps you cover a greater range of vertical options, which is Mario/Doc's primary weakness offstage because they're both pretty bad at covering vertical options, and especially in matchups like Pikachu and G&W where you're really easily edgeguarded, Soaring Tornado is huge.

With Soaring Tornado also I believe Doc does somewhat better against characters like Ness, Greninja, Shulk, Sheik, and Lucario, who you can all actually chase offstage feasibly by running that custom. All the other matchups are preference imo.

I mean yeah, regular Tornado edgeguards are awesome and all, but Doc actually has a lot of really good attacks for edgeguarding which all work better when you run Soaring Tornado for deep chases.
I WOULD say that if Soaring Tornado was not absolutely awful for horizontal recovery, didn't ledgesnap or protect you well. You're stuck in a vulnerable pose for a long time and you lose all horizontal control + momentum, coupled with Doc's poor air mobility. It removes like 80% of his on-stage escape options that aren't Dair, Nado's on-stage priority is more than good for just a few MUs IMO. Going deep with Dr. Mario is really only marginal (the deepest you'll go is far down I guess but Vanilla Nado forces them to recover super high or low. It's not even its edgeguarding that makes it good, it's the threat of the move and how much on-stage options it adds. His air speed just does not let him run an off-stage game that is going to thrive well IMO.

Also if you master mashing you can do this on the ledge with Nado (credit to Kisatamura for this cool gif)
https://gfycat.com/reddentalcanary

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Regular Tornado also has matchup specific problems where characters can interrupt it on hit with fast aerials. Keeping that in mind, I really have to emphasize the massive vertical recovery of Soaring Tornado (which you should use to recover ABOVE edgeguard attempts before using your other tools) actually does give you a lot more options for recovery.

Also landing options I don't feel are actually a very big problem for Mario/Doc when B-reverse Fast Fireball/Capsule is actually pretty safe and low commitment. In Doc's case, B reverse Breezy Sheet for landings also has understated utility in contrast with Mario's traditional Cape stalling.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I just think that while Soaring Tornado is alright if you really want to use it, I can't bring myself to sacrifice Nado on-stage in most MUs. I just feel like a larger portion of Doc's game is more favorable on-stage and sacrificing that for recovery, even if it is his one other weakness besides mobility, gets rid of one of his best moves. Most people who have played Doc in tournament and won seem to agree that Nado is an incredible move and should be used.

Not to understate Soaring Tornado but I get more use using Regular Nado with my playstyle and just how I feel the character works in general IMO.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm playing Doc too, and I acknowledge regular Tornado is a pretty good move. But Soaring Tornado addresses a number of matchups better from what I've observed. Though I would say in the majority of matchups outside of the ones I mentioned it's really preference.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
The question is how much? I can only seeing it being valuable to people who rely on Doc's bad recovery to really kill him, so off the top of my head that's like, Pikachu and a handful of others. Theoretically EVERY character relies on this but I mean characters that absolutely NEED to gimp him.

You can feasibly run either or and chalk it to mostly preference as the effect in most general MUs relies purely on how the player uses them. You CAN in theory use it for some offstage stuff but the leeway is still fairly minimal and you can afford to be risky with your edgeguards otherwise if you CP an omega stage with walls since you can walljump and recover greater if you wanna go super low without Soaring Nado.

Dunno, it's a hard split but I would probably pick Doc Tornado over it mostly because it meshes with how I play better.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Being able to actually edgeguard characters like Sheik, Greninja, Shulk, Ness, and Lucario is at least worth 5 points in those matchups because it means you don't need to make as many reads to kill them. Those are the main specific matchups where I personally feel like being unable to edgeguard deep really prevents me from killing these characters consistently. And as I mentioned vs Pikachu and G&W, Soaring Tornado goes a long way in preventing you from dying really easily to them.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Point taken, although I think with Lucario you can force him to recover on-stage and punish the lag without having to go low by using stuff that lingers (I.e. Nado) at the ledge when you see him Up+B. The others are valid but again, it's why I'll always say you should alternate between both of them. I do think however in general use Nado 1 is more prevalent in MUs than say, Nado 2, if we're going by cast-wide.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
A good Lucario main knows that when his aura is fully charged, he can recover easily, however his Smash is pretty slow, if Dr.Mario can utilize his combos can make Lucario deal a great damage.
I actually hope they give Dr.Mario a new Down B and final Smash rather than just copy him over. He may have stronger attacks than Mario, I sure fight similiar as Mario when using him. However, I hope you guys can give me some some notice that what should I adjust when using Dr.Mario comparing to Mario? Are there any combos that only Dr.Mario can be done?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Doc's U-tilt chains tend to work sooner than Mario's. He tends to get less long strings from D-throw, meaning usually you just go for one U-air after D-throw and then a landing trap. However at mid percents, U-tilt/D-throw -> U-air -> B-air can do really devastating damage.

You can SH double U-air as Doc, but this has to be effectively frame perfect though there are a few situations where this can be viably be used for some low% juggle strings.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Doc's U-tilt chains tend to work sooner than Mario's. He tends to get less long strings from D-throw, meaning usually you just go for one U-air after D-throw and then a landing trap. However at mid percents, U-tilt/D-throw -> U-air -> B-air can do really devastating damage.

You can SH double U-air as Doc, but this has to be effectively frame perfect though there are a few situations where this can be viably be used for some low% juggle strings.
Sorry but what is the meaning of SH you mentioned?

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Nado is likely the reason you can even play this character, yeah. It doesn't magically fix his flaws that are a gateway to him being super viable, but on a competitive level I'd rank him in the niche counterpicks area + viable with secondaries. Nado does so much for him, if it was gone lord knows where he'd be.
Something like C Tier, right above D Tier? (which is the lowest in this game according to Shaya)

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Back in GC remote (Melee/Brawl) I NEVER use SH, until on the 3DS the circle pad is too slow to jump by tapping it, so rectly I did use SH on the 3DS.
Thanks for the thread!:)
I turned tap jump off in the Smash 3DS for the first time in a Smash game and did not regret it. It makes short hops a lot easier, especially SH u-airs which are very helpful on Doc in particular. It also makes it easier to do u-tilts without jumping by accident.

Having tap jump off in any other Smash game feels really awkward though; I just can't play well with it that way.

Top Bottom