• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
So, at the weekly yesterday DKWill is visiting along with a few others for our big regional FrostBite in michigan. I happened to take him on in not one, but two sets during the tourney plus some others. The matches were really hype, as soon as they're uploaded I'll post em up! The regional is this saturday, he just showed up early enough for our weekly as well, which was yesterday, just for clarification

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Ok, looks like our streamer got the videos uploaded already, hope you guys find them entertaining ^.^

SFW #25: Smasher1001 (Mega Man) vs DKwill (DK)

SWF #25: Pulse|Zinoto (Diddy) vs Smasher1001 (Mario/Mega Man)

SFW #25: Sparky (Luigi/Kirby) vs Smasher1001 (Mega Man/Mario)

SFW #25: Smasher1001 (Mega Man) vs DKwill (DK)

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
Got some more tourney matches here guys. One vs Ally's Cloud and a really good set vs one of our PR level sheiks, any input on these would be much appreciated!

Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) VS WTTD(Zamus)

Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) VS ALLY(Cloud)

Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) VS GG|NOM(Sheik)
sorry responding to an old post but

you have a good neutral game and a good metalblade game too. those two areas definitly is shown in how yuo deal with what your opp throws at you in low to mid percents in the neutral. keep that up. for constructive criticism, an area i think you can improve on is your neutral at high percents. against ally's cloud, ally was using more defensive options while you kept using agressive options and he managed to tie your percents. while its good being aggro, soemtimes when you are at percent lead, you wanna use defenesive options that are safe and just wait for your opp to make a mistake. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LAGLESS LEAFSHIELD here. its sooo good and safe. here's a link on how to do it. http://smashboards.com/threads/how-...ir-leafshield-fair-bair.430789/#post-20875534

doing that move will frustrate your opp. you can literally do a lagless leafshield, and just wait on shield, and your opp can't grab you. you can punish their offensive options with grabs here or you can even throw a leaf shield at them

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
A couple of matches I saved versus our local Koopa Kid main. His name is Moti and apparently he was listed on this site as one of the top 5 Koopa Kid mains (Anyone know where that list is? I forget.) I really do like playing the matchup. I should have saved some matches where I lost for better critique but ah well. He won more of our matches than I did but I got him good a number times.

Last edited:

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
Some sets from a PR invitational in our state. It was a B05 Round Robin with all of our PR members, got to experiment with lots of cool Megaman stuff since it was just a bunch of exhibition matches, some pretty nice set ups the Greninja match. Check them out!

Last edited:

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
I like the way you handle your robot. But of all the people to lose to...why Ganondorf?
Trying not to sound like I'm johning, but I was yoloing that match lol, I could've played campier to win but it was an exhibition match with nothing on the line so it wasn't really a play to win environment. I was going for a z drop spikes most of the match since I was guaranteed 1st anyway >.>

Saltix

Smash Lord

nedskii-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nedskii
Switch FC
6236-0030-3158
Some sets from a PR invitational in our state. It was a B05 Round Robin with all of our PR members, got to experiment with lots of cool Megaman stuff since it was just a bunch of exhibition matches, some pretty nice set ups the Greninja match. Check them out!

How do you do the things you do?!
What controller and button layout do you use? What's your method of tech practice?
Best mega man IMO.

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
How do you do the things you do?!
What controller and button layout do you use? What's your method of tech practice?
Best mega man IMO.
My button layout is basically default except L is grab, tap jump off, and x is grab. I usually just go into training mode and combo computers and grind glide tossing, nothing special, and as flattering as it is, I'm not the best Megaman yet :p

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman

Watched your vids. You're another one of those people who I watch and see just such a totally different playstyle of megaman than my own, another player who makes me think "Dam, there's still so much more to this character that others are utilizing that I'm not!" Props. I dig your playstyle, makes me wanna grind out different tactics to incorperate :D

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

I think this single handedly helped me determine who my next main will be.

I see the creative tool usage I got with pacman, but MUCH less micromanagement (*sniff* at long last), less counterplay, and more dare I say...freedom.

Beautiful mega man dude. I've now been enlightened.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
A couple of matches I saved versus our local Koopa Kid main. His name is Moti and apparently he was listed on this site as one of the top 5 Koopa Kid mains (Anyone know where that list is? I forget.) I really do like playing the matchup. I should have saved some matches where I lost for better critique but ah well. He won more of our matches than I did but I got him good a number times.

Man, i wanted to give some insight or good advice here but i can't, you really ****** him up o.o
Nice comeback on the first video, do you think the MU is even?

Saltix Saltix Only watched the Falcon/M2 and DDD videos for now,you handled Falcon and M2 pretty well, and you seem to have my problem with DDD: losing the first stock and then getting a KO. I'm not sure what to do on that case either, especially with how heavy DDD is. Will watch the other videos tomorrow if i can.

AerialNinja AerialNinja Watched the Rob video, will watch the others but wanted to say this now: you were going ham on that robot XD awesome stuff. Gotta learn how to move like you do, gotta step up my training routine. Will download the rest to watch tomorrow.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Man, i wanted to give some insight or good advice here but i can't, you really ****** him up o.o
Nice comeback on the first video, do you think the MU is even?
I honestly think we have the advantage. Just don't challenge Koopa Kid's fair and bair head on. The lemons disrupt his mix-ups so easily and we are better at range. He can certainly kill earlier with that eject hammer strike. But if he recovers low and we have Leaf Shield up, he's pretty much dead.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I honestly think we have the advantage. Just don't challenge Koopa Kid's fair and bair head on. The lemons disrupt his mix-ups so easily and we are better at range. He can certainly kill earlier with that eject hammer strike. But if he recovers low and we have Leaf Shield up, he's pretty much dead.
I tried the Leaf Shield gimp on Bowser Jr., and it looked ridiculous XD
The most important thing to remember in that MU is that FSmash / Crash Bomb+Metal Blade / Metal Blade+3 Lemons are enough to destroy a Mechakoopa. It isn't much, but it does close many options.

Saltix

Smash Lord
AerialNinja AerialNinja im currently watching some of those sets you posted and im at a loss for words. I have never been more inspired to play Mega man. And what blows my mind even more is that most of your opponents werent able to kill you, but you're SDing a good bit lol

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Looking to get some critiques here. Lost to this wario in both winners and grand finals. Really had trouble getting the KO.

What I am seeing is I kept staling some of my main kill options, bair, bthrow, a little too early. Also had a terrible time edge guarding him. What's the best way to deal with the bike recovery?
I also noticed I should have used pellets a lot more than I did.

nedskii-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nedskii
Switch FC
6236-0030-3158
Won't be able to watch til later but rush at ledge, metal blade, fall past ledge, up air to land back on rush with leaf shield momentum cancel

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Looking to get some critiques here. Lost to this wario in both winners and grand finals. Really had trouble getting the KO.

What I am seeing is I kept staling some of my main kill options, bair, bthrow, a little too early. Also had a terrible time edge guarding him. What's the best way to deal with the bike recovery?
I also noticed I should have used pellets a lot more than I did.
Seems like you were a step behind him most of the time. Like you were mostly throwing out moves and hoping he'd run into them. That would suggest you were on auto-pilot.

Only two moves will get Wario off his bike when Mega Man's feet are on the ground: Metal Blade and Leaf Shield. Best way to combat Wario recovering on his bike is to either approach from above and in front (fair or bair works) or just scare him off. That means you'll have to jump off stage and scare him off. Wario can't threaten you when he's recovering on the bike and you did often let him come back to the stage unthreatened.

I also saw a few missed usmash punishes where you went in for a grab instead.
Overall; do not feed the Wario (don't throw Metal Blades from their max range. Wario will just eat it). Force him to jump off his bike. Have a plan for how you want to finish your opponent and look for/make that opening.

Megamang

Smash Lord
And don't make hard extensions in the neutral. Wario players are just waiting for that moment, some base their entire play around waiting for it, to hit a waft and secure a crazy early kill. This is more MU advice than anything specific I noticed in the video.

Bike recovery covers such a vast distance with good speed and mixup options that you probably aren't going to gimp Wario, or even contest the bike, if he plays his cards right. I like to keep chucking projectiles at him, especially Air Shooter, to continue racking damage and pressuring him to approach.

Keep in mind he has pretty pathetic range, and his normal advantage of aerial mobility doesn't stand out that much against our good mobility... These two factors make bair and fair pretty good in this MU. I don't consider staling bair to be a bad choice, it will still kill in good situations and its hard to give it up for fair, since bair does so much more damage I think its usually worth using whenever you can hit it, especially since its range makes it annoying for Wario.

But yea, pellets would help here because they are great at unstaling your moves.

EDIT: Watched the video in more detail... you give him way too many kills. You start getting unsafe right when megaman really starts to make opponents sweat with his safety. Landing unsafely next to him, usually with Bairs, gave him so many free kills... He should be having to come to you, afraid of taking too much damage to pellets to survive a u-throw. And I'd say staling bair is only worth it if you manage to land the full attack. You liked to land with a fast fallen bair, which if timed perfectly can be kinda safe, but IMO isn't worth it. Megaman... doesn't really have solid landing aerials, in exchange for the amazing zoning he has, with the amazing pressure afforded by landing uair.

You also don't often throw metal blade diagonally down, which can bait a command bite and land you an utilt in the MU just as much as it can confirm into it in others. You also almost never pummel, though if you know this guy you might know he escapes really well and that it isn't worth it at low damage, but i'd say past 70% its always safe to get one pummel, and that is 3% plus another move on the stale move queue, helping your bair achieve freshness again. Speaking of which, instead of landing bairs, you should really add more rising bairs into your gameplay. You also roll more often than I do. Final thing, you kinda... hit him with 1/2/3 pellets, then go in for a grab, or run away... which is fine, but sometimes you can keep pelleting, or play more reactively. Its like you never really took advantage of the fact he really does have to come to you, or at least he has to close the gap, while you maintain midrange pressure. And, never d-throw after it combos, just uthrow. Better position, and more damage.

Those are just things I think you could improve on. Your megaman play is already pretty dang solid, great work getting to grand finals.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Don't stand still after shooting your buster shots. You suffer a full second of endlag if you fire all 3 shots. You gotta move or you're going to get hit.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Been awhile since I've touched Smashboards so, hello again. I still haven't been active in any tournaments yet, but there is a monthly this Saturday with a few players from SoCal coming to my region so I decided I'd like to train for my true return (for real this time) by playing on Anther's Ladder while I'm stuck at home. I stopped taking Online play as serious as offline but before I knew it, I'm already at Gold I rank and #4 in the Mega Mans rank. I wanna make as big of a splash as I can, and I request advice on what I can do better here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVuD9LxEfZA :4rob::4yoshi::rosalina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3dba2u9uOk :4fox::4littlemac::4diddy:

I can see flaws in my shielding, edgueguarding, and I could use a bit more creativity in my mixups + lemon play. Please do let me know what you see that I don't, I'm really gonna need it this time around.

EpicMynd88

Smash Rookie
Don't stand still after shooting your buster shots. You suffer a full second of endlag if you fire all 3 shots. You gotta move or you're going to get hit.
ok, I'm looking for someone to spar with and teach me new skills simultaneously.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Gotta love this. Every game I see with Styles even in tournaments he always looks good first and win second. He is really good with his tech skill. But I am sure he would win a lot more if he played safer.

Found this on youtube. Amazing combos. That last combo on bowser is unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySZdJvBvuPs

Last edited:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Gotta love this. Every game I see with Styles even in tournaments he always looks good first and win second. He is really good with his tech skill. But I am sure he would win a lot more if he played safer.

Found this on youtube. Amazing combos. That last combo on bowser is unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySZdJvBvuPs
The editing of the video was nice, but what styles actually needs to work on is tournament nerves. He generally doesn't do well in tournaments. He is a good player non the less

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
He is very good. My type of hero, but still tends to go for flashy stuff instead of the grind. That hurts Megas tournament play a lot since we get punished so hard and we have slow slow slow dmg output. Yeah unless we land something big. But we don't land something big without risking a lot and the we are against the odds when doing so.

My gripe so far playing mega man in tournament is to play really really safe neutral game and chip away. We can do this and get i the lead very easily. When we get them off the stage is when you go crazy with stuff.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
That video is why mega man will be top 15 on the tier list. It will take a long time for players to perfect his redic combos like this.

Such a versatile, underused character.

This guy is next level.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
After a hard buster I suffered at a monthly last Saturday, I felt demoralized enough to quit the game until some encouragement from friends came. So this time, I decided to take it slower and come to a smaller local yesterday in a path to redeem myself for it. To my surprise I ended up reaching 2nd place this time, the 3rd time I've ever placed this high. 2-0'd nearly everyone in my pools (except for 1 really good G&W who beat me, not very experienced against him) and mnaged to survive in pro bracket from a round 1 loss aoll the way to grand finals. The matches are not put on Youtube yet, but I'm in a hurry for critiques now so I couldn't resist using the Twitch replays. I did not use Mega Man as often as normally this time though:

Funkermonster :4megaman::4greninja: vs SAK/Tyson :4falco: https://secure.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/55075684?t=02m16s
Funkermonster :4megaman::4greninja: vs Psychedelifox :4yoshi: https://secure.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/55075684?t=01h38m25s
Funkermonster :4megaman: vs Psychedelifox :4mewtwo: (friendly) https://secure.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/55075684?t=27m39s

In one of the matches, I wore a paper towel over my nose since I had been previously sneezing in my match before that, so I put it on in case I sneezed again (luckily I didn't). I looked pretty dumb wearing it, so pardon me there.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
After a hard buster I suffered at a monthly last Saturday, I felt demoralized enough to quit the game until some encouragement from friends came. So this time, I decided to take it slower and come to a smaller local yesterday in a path to redeem myself for it. To my surprise I ended up reaching 2nd place this time, the 3rd time I've ever placed this high. 2-0'd nearly everyone in my pools (except for 1 really good G&W who beat me, not very experienced against him) and mnaged to survive in pro bracket from a round 1 loss aoll the way to grand finals. The matches are not put on Youtube yet, but I'm in a hurry for critiques now so I couldn't resist using the Twitch replays. I did not use Mega Man as often as normally this time though:

Funkermonster :4megaman::4greninja: vs SAK/Tyson :4falco: https://secure.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/55075684?t=02m16s
Funkermonster :4megaman::4greninja: vs Psychedelifox :4yoshi: https://secure.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/55075684?t=01h38m25s
Funkermonster :4megaman: vs Psychedelifox :4mewtwo: (friendly) https://secure.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/55075684?t=27m39s

In one of the matches, I worse a paper towel over my nose since I had been previously sneezing in my match before that, so pardon me for looking dumb.
I think it's safe to say that I regret what I said about Yoshi in our MU thread. You played pretty well, and it's great to hear that you're feeling better about your abilities.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Hey guys, finally finished my monster combo video. It's not so much a usual video, it's a concept video. I made it mostly for fun so I don't expect it to appeal to everyone who likes smash, but I hope it would appeal to all my fellow Mega Mains! I know you can handle the longer version xD please give it a try.

43 minutes

I also made a stripped down version that removes all the pellet only stuff and leaves only the best clips.

18 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmgSbwwBh3g

I started this video in December and pushed hard the last week to finish it up. Would love feedback and please share the crap out of it : ) both versions to be safe.

One of my favorites is the Turnip glide toss bair kill and the DK CB>footstool(the final DK clip). Enjoy!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I can only hope they do. They don't always upload those things and I wish they would. But we pretty much have only one person working the stream.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I haven't been playing too much as of late but i recorded a decent set

Top Bottom