• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I played some sets against some good clouds today. One was against sethsational (one of the best Falcons out there) who is picking him up.

Similar but much different than shulk. Much less aerial mobility but much better ground game.

His upb can be spiked relatively easily.

He has a really good combo game with utilt and uairs.

Extremely early in the meta for him but I don't think he will be terrible for us.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I played some sets against some good clouds today. One was against sethsational (one of the best Falcons out there) who is picking him up.

Similar but much different than shulk. Much less aerial mobility but much better ground game.

His upb can be spiked relatively easily.

He has a really good combo game with utilt and uairs.

Extremely early in the meta for him but I don't think he will be terrible for us.
How did you deal with his approach, or if you were down a stock?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Hey can I get some feed back on my match vs Mr.E =s
First off, your taste in music is amazing. Those were all some pretty slick remixes you used for your video, and Crash Man and Dive Man's were especially awesome (some of my personal favorite themes in the series). Jokes aside:

• I found that when trying to edgeguard him, I think you were maybe a bit too reliant on Leaf Shield ledge guards and dropping metal blades and waiting for him to get in range to use them. As someone who sucks at edgeguardng myself, I tend to do the same thing, but maybe you could mix it up a bit more with lemons (or sweetspot lemons) or even a few crash bombers here and there. If its a Marth, I would also probably jump out there and aggressively try to hit him with Slash Claws: Marth in general has a 'meh' recovery, knock him out of his double jump and he's probably not going to come back onstage. Sometimes they may try to air dodge your Bair (and a LOT of people air dodge on reaction), if that happens wait for him to do it and then Bair him, it'll send him too far to recover or kill him outright. I also think I saw that you never once used Hard Knuckle, I know its pretty situational but it wouldn't hurt to toss out a few of those here and there, and since Marth's UpB doesn't sweetspot the ledge I'd imagine it'd be a bit easier to hit him with it. It can be a fine mixup onstage or when playing on the ledge too sometimes.Ledge trumping and then Bairing could work, something I need to work on myself.
  • Speaking of Leaf Shield, there were too many times where you activated it either when he was too close to be safe or when got very little from using it and could've chosen a better option for that scenario. I think I saw you trying to use it to protect yourself when landing at least 3 times (especially when you took him to Duck Hunt), only to get punished 3 times because he was so close to you. Don't get me wrong, Leaf Shield is a fantastic move, but I think your game could learn to tone it down a few notches or at least pay better attention to when it is and isn't a good time to use it.
  • I think you should go for more Dthrow combo punishes and refine them a bit. A few times at low % where you could have used Dthrow you went for an Fthrow or a Bthrow instead and didn't really get much out of them. Even when you did dthrow, you went for Dthrow > Fair for most if not all the time, this is probably personal preference but I felt that Nair > Fair or a RAR Bair would've been a better followup. Fair lacks knockback and doesn't do too much damage, and you seemed to use it at too low a % where he either still had stage control and/or you got punished after the Fair anyway.
  • In general, I think you could go for stronger punishes a little bit and take a little more risks: use a bit more shorthop Uairs & Bairs, Crash Bombs, Dtilts, Usmashes (at least OoS), and maybe a few more combos with the metal blades. You mostly threw the MBs straightforward from what I recall, again getting little reward or doing it in an instance where Marth wasn't far enough for it to be safe. Given the tutorial videos I've seen from you on DITCIT and Downward-thrown Metal followups from your most recent guide, I know you're capable of doing them. Maybe do them a little more. I do however notice that you Utilted a few times and you seemed to get punished for most of them, that's good but notice when its a good time for it.
  • When he had you offstage, I felt you could've done more to protect yourself and that you let him block your recovery too easily. One time you Double Jumped before Rush Coil and he hit you too far to come back. Another time you got stagespiked and didn't tech, though if it was online, I can understand since its a bit harder to do then. Maybe shoot a lemon or two when recovering, maybe let yourself drop down a bit and toss a diagonally upward metal blade (I've seen ScAtt do it before, and it seems to work for him), or maybe sometimes recover high, leaf shield, and then grab the ledge and roll.
Nut-shelled version:
  1. Cool it with the leaf shield usage, or at least know when it is and isn't an appropriate time to use it.
  2. Protect yourself better when you need to recover.
  3. Go for more varied gimping options, there was not enough besides Metal Blades and Leaf Shields.
  4. This is just me, but I'd personally say to refine your punishment game and go for a few more high risk, high reward options: Crash Bomb, Dtilt, Dthrow, Uair, and Dair (which you never seem to use at all).
  5. Do a little more things with the metal blades, and in situations where they are safe.
Good stuff otheriwse. If you could possibly return the favor and give feedback on my Cloud set (which I posted just before you posted your concepts and tutorial video), I'd appreciate it :)

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Hey can I get some feed back on my match vs Mr.E =s
How could I have not seen that video?! You use such cool music! I'd say that Leaf Shield gimping is much more effective when you chase the opponent off stage instead of standing on the edge. The last kill in that video demonstrates as much.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Dezmu, i'll check your vídeo once i get home. Like i said, i missed a lot of stuff from this thread :I

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
First off, your taste in music is amazing. Those were all some pretty slick remixes you used for your video, and Crash Man and Dive Man's were especially awesome (some of my personal favorite themes in the series). Jokes aside:

• I found that when trying to edgeguard him, I think you were maybe a bit too reliant on Leaf Shield ledge guards and dropping metal blades and waiting for him to get in range to use them. As someone who sucks at edgeguardng myself, I tend to do the same thing, but maybe you could mix it up a bit more with lemons (or sweetspot lemons) or even a few crash bombers here and there. If its a Marth, I would also probably jump out there and aggressively try to hit him with Slash Claws: Marth in general has a 'meh' recovery, knock him out of his double jump and he's probably not going to come back onstage. Sometimes they may try to air dodge your Bair (and a LOT of people air dodge on reaction), if that happens wait for him to do it and then Bair him, it'll send him too far to recover or kill him outright. I also think I saw that you never once used Hard Knuckle, I know its pretty situational but it wouldn't hurt to toss out a few of those here and there, and since Marth's UpB doesn't sweetspot the ledge I'd imagine it'd be a bit easier to hit him with it. It can be a fine mixup onstage or when playing on the ledge too sometimes.Ledge trumping and then Bairing could work, something I need to work on myself.
  • Speaking of Leaf Shield, there were too many times where you activated it either when he was too close to be safe or when got very little from using it and could've chosen a better option for that scenario. I think I saw you trying to use it to protect yourself when landing at least 3 times (especially when you took him to Duck Hunt), only to get punished 3 times because he was so close to you. Don't get me wrong, Leaf Shield is a fantastic move, but I think your game could learn to tone it down a few notches or at least pay better attention to when it is and isn't a good time to use it.
  • I think you should go for more Dthrow combo punishes and refine them a bit. A few times at low % where you could have used Dthrow you went for an Fthrow or a Bthrow instead and didn't really get much out of them. Even when you did dthrow, you went for Dthrow > Fair for most if not all the time, this is probably personal preference but I felt that Nair > Fair or a RAR Bair would've been a better followup. Fair lacks knockback and doesn't do too much damage, and you seemed to use it at too low a % where he either still had stage control and/or you got punished after the Fair anyway.
  • In general, I think you could go for stronger punishes a little bit and take a little more risks: use a bit more shorthop Uairs & Bairs, Crash Bombs, Dtilts, Usmashes (at least OoS), and maybe a few more combos with the metal blades. You mostly threw the MBs straightforward from what I recall, again getting little reward or doing it in an instance where Marth wasn't far enough for it to be safe. Given the tutorial videos I've seen from you on DITCIT and Downward-thrown Metal followups from your most recent guide, I know you're capable of doing them. Maybe do them a little more. I do however notice that you Utilted a few times and you seemed to get punished for most of them, that's good but notice when its a good time for it.
  • When he had you offstage, I felt you could've done more to protect yourself and that you let him block your recovery too easily. One time you Double Jumped before Rush Coil and he hit you too far to come back. Another time you got stagespiked and didn't tech, though if it was online, I can understand since its a bit harder to do then. Maybe shoot a lemon or two when recovering, maybe let yourself drop down a bit and toss a diagonally upward metal blade (I've seen ScAtt do it before, and it seems to work for him), or maybe sometimes recover high, leaf shield, and then grab the ledge and roll.
Nut-shelled version:
  1. Cool it with the leaf shield usage, or at least know when it is and isn't an appropriate time to use it.
  2. Protect yourself better when you need to recover.
  3. Go for more varied gimping options, there was not enough besides Metal Blades and Leaf Shields.
  4. This is just me, but I'd personally say to refine your punishment game and go for a few more high risk, high reward options: Crash Bomb, Dtilt, Dthrow, Uair, and Dair (which you never seem to use at all).
  5. Do a little more things with the metal blades, and in situations where they are safe.
Good stuff otheriwse. If you could possibly return the favor and give feedback on my Cloud set (which I posted just before you posted your concepts and tutorial video), I'd appreciate it :)
In regards to the first match

When you get the kill on cloud in the first game. I would advise trying to land a crash bomber on cloud once he hits the platform. It will land on him as it isn't an attack. You turned on leaf shield and tried to jump around him, but he can't be hurt during his invincible faze. This is why he simply kept going for upsmash.

Usually when you see people going in that hard, it's because they want to level the plane feild as fast as they can. Sometimes they lose paciest. This is where I think mega man starts to shine as you can apply pressure in a way that drives them crazy trying to damage you.

After he took your first stock, he tried to go for down tilt 3 times, after the 2nd time, you should be able to tell he is having a hard time getting in and try to bait that Dtilt. It seem like once he got in you paniced a bit and couldn't make the adjustment after.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Good pellet play will keep cloud out. As well as some diagonally up thrown mbs

quepasacontigo

Smash Rookie
Hello, would anyone mind giving me some advice or two of what I can improve on?
I just played for glory and got these two to show. I realized now maybe I should show matches against better players, maybe it'd be more obvious what I struggle with.
I wish to get better, I mostly don't win anything in my local scene (Stockholm, Sweden).

Thank you!

Also I'd like to add I usually shorthop lemon a lot usually, but got lots harder with input lag :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6LFRH1AasY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj0L8xrNQpQ

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Dezmu Dezmu Can't really say anything other than what Pika Kong said. But no spoilers in the thumbnail, come on man !

Q quepasacontigo You seem to know the basics pretty well, but in those two videos, you are very predictable.

Seems like you were more doing a routine than actually observing and reacting to your opponent, you always go for ftilt> nair> fallin uair, and while that can work, if you don't mix it up, good players will catch on quickly and you will take a hefty punishment for it.

TL;DR, mix it up more, pay attention to your opponent's movement and avoid going into "auto pilot". That is particularly a serious issue i have as well.

quepasacontigo

Smash Rookie
Yea I can agree that may be my major issue, it's particularly noticable when i face a ditto and i'm clearly the technically superior one but still losing.
I'm the kind of person that kind of needs a formula, a flow chart, to guide myself after. Thus it's kinda hard flowcharting "improvise!"

Right now i think i should grind to get the techs hardwired enough to be able to play around more freely around the opponents. Thank you for your input :)

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Hello, would anyone mind giving me some advice or two of what I can improve on?
Maybe it was just online stuff, but you were missing your timing for your falling uairs a lot. You also don't always have to throw out an attack after third shot nair. Also more short hops.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Here is a video from me playing on the ladder. Just got one game on there vs a mario. I will be uploading more soon. I have matches against gold level players against ryu, sonic, and meta knight.

Nice one, i like your usage of full hop> downwards MB, it got you an utilt as well.

Are you recording with your phone? Wondering cause it looks really nice and clean, same with other matches in your channel.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Nice one, i like your usage of full hop> downwards MB, it got you an utilt as well.

Are you recording with your phone? Wondering cause it looks really nice and clean, same with other matches in your channel.

It is actually from a go pro. I should be getting a capture card this weekend :chuckle: so hopefully I will have a stream going soon! I'll post my stream here when/if I get it going.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Well, I watched ScAtt's set, and while he definitely played well, I have to say it... Fatality didn't play as well. Don't get me wrong, he IS a good player, but I saw that ScAtt was just doing his things with Fatality not knowing what to do (FTilt 3X while walking away, I see you)

Now, I liked that ScAtt didn't rely on the most
technical techs out there to win, even
with more or less useful 3 DITCITs (yes, I counted them. I think I got the number right), but the most important is that he kept choosing the best option in every situation : FAir stagespike, Fthrow kill since he was at the edge and Falcon being a potent fastfaller would make him harder to kill with UThrow, and Leaf Shield gimp.

Overall, it was a really nice performance, buuut Fatality wasn't in a good shape IMO.

(Sorry for the weird indents, phones aren't the best :p )

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Well fatality knows ScAtts Mega Man better then any other player pretty much. They play each other a lot. I think its just the momentum that makes fatality look sloppy here because some sets they play its the opposite. Also 3xFtilt and walk away is not strange since there is a lot of variations and mind games at play with pellet play here. You can jump out of the third plus the fear of the amazing 2xftilt into short hop nair. Mega Mans best move in the game imo.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Well, its not like Fatality didn't punished that when he could, lots of times he jabbed Scatt when he went for the ftilt x3 jump away.
But Scatt wasn't in autopilot, he was mixing up a lot, i don't think its Fatality playing poorly, is just what Wreck said, he just couldn't get any momentum.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I dunno. I've seen Fatality play better than that. He was missing some good punishes.

*EDIT*
Though after watching them in grand finals in the same tournament, Fatality did much better. Maybe it was just momentum causing him to look bad.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
That didn't look like Fatality. He's crushed Scatt in sets before. Maybe he is like the Falcons I see in tournament, and Scatt was just in his head that set?

Edit: GF was more interesting but still a weird set for both players. I really want to know what scatt did to condition fatality to never use dash attacks. It also seems that he doesn't know that Falcon can drop down->uAir/uB to harass mega if he parks on the ledge with LS?

@scatt how are you getting the sweet spot on nAir so much? I can never seem to rely on it.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Alright, first off just a streaming thing in general: Don't do the "decrease game audio when mic is on setting". It makes the match unenjoyable to listen to, and it's very hard to make out what you're saying anyway. Just play with the game and mic volume until you find a nice balance where you can talk over it but not be too loud.

Alright, for the matchup:

- Don't use uncharged mega buster on the hydrant unless Pac has already hit it. All it does is give him complete control over how he will launch it at you.
- Don't over-respect the hydrant. It doesn't need to be destroyed immediately. You can jump over it and use the water to your advantage. Pac also loses the option of throwing a hydrant while one is out, so he's more vulnerable in the air.
- You go for hard knuckle offstage a lot when there's no time to land it. Put some MBs out, or go offstage and read an airdodge to land an aerial of your choice. Sitting on the edge with LS up isn't a bad option against Pac either. Put that advantage state to good use! You got a lot of reward when you finally threw some bAirs at him.
- Try to short hop those pellets more...Break Man style isn't gonna leave you in a very good position, and he punished you a few times for it.

~ Pac has just as much trouble getting kills as we do. Know his options and make those stocks last to 150%. You cannot stop the melon, but you can catch it easily.

For the Pac:

- Everything was good until you got way too aggressive in the later games. Mega Man loves it when non-rushdown characters try to rush him down. You have to exert pressure on Mega Man by charging the key and making him feel like he has to come to you.
- You missed some followups by charging fruit instead of spacing out landings and such. Everything below melon gets stopped by pellets, so unless you have the mixup, you shouldn't be playing with small fruit charges. It's easy enough to get away from Mega and prepare whatever you want, but advantaged states at close range are valuable and shouldn't be wasted.
- NEVER jump out of air shooter.
- Don't let him bait you into attacking through pellets. Many characters can beat them with aerials, but Pac is one of the worse characters for it. Again, just put a hydrant down and charge up a melon or higher (I recommend key). Force Mega to choose between defense or taking a risk whenever he throws a projectile. If you hit him with a key, charge another immediately. People HATE that, and it's really going to condition him play around potential key throws.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I'll agree with Sleek Media's assessment so I won't touch on that.. I also notice that you sometimes use rolling as a means of turning around. Hopefully it is a subconscious reaction and not on purpose. However, that means you also did it when it granted you no extra distance because you were on the edge of a platform. Makes your movement too predictable and punishable. It's faster and safer to just dash one way and then turn the other sometimes.

Also don't stand under Pac for too long. That's just asking for a hydrant to smash your dome. It did happen.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Totally agree with you guys about the matchup.

Also for the stream that was my very first time streaming so I stil have to get the kinks out.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Here is one agaisnt a Plat II player from the ladder, Pac Man

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Wouldn't mind some discussion on how to fight this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nl2Gsxgzgc
How to fight Boss or how to fight Brawler? I can't tell you how to fight Boss. He's good. As for Brawler, no one in my area really uses Miis so they're a bit of a mystery to me. I think you tried playing too unsafe and too close to him in the first match. You used a lot of laggy moves in boxing range versus a boxer. It got better as the matches progressed though. Brawler seems to be near as fast and safe as Mario given how Boss was using him.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jPBzvrTAr0

Hnnnng I'm almost ashamed to put this out there.

I'd found this guy while playing on FG and (attempting) to figure out how Mega Man works since he might be a character I'll shove under my secondaries list, and he played a pretty good Kirby and Luigi as well as his Toon Link (which I saved a replay for).

Sorry for the awful quality, IPads suck. Any tips for a person attempting to get into the Mega Man game plan?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
How to fight Boss or how to fight Brawler? I can't tell you how to fight Boss. He's good. As for Brawler, no one in my area really uses Miis so they're a bit of a mystery to me. I think you tried playing too unsafe and too close to him in the first match. You used a lot of laggy moves in boxing range versus a boxer. It got better as the matches progressed though. Brawler seems to be near as fast and safe as Mario given how Boss was using him.
How to fight Boss, haha. He was thinking that Brawler might actually be even better against Mega than Mario, and I'm inclined to agree. Same neutral pressure, but with better kill options and a ZSS neutral reset move. We have played enough times to take friendly jabs at each other, and the whole time, he was trolling and giggling about how freely he could escape with with flip kick, and I was cussing him out and telling him to bring out a real character. Good times!

Anyway, I made some input errors, mostly in game 1. I know better than to throw mega busters at Boss, haha. I've lost to Boss' Mario and Luigi as well, and annoyingly, he has picked up Shiek recently as well (I'm forced to go Mario for those). The problem I always run into with Mega vs Boss' anyone is simple aerial spam. You can see how he gets on me and just never lets up. Pellets do not work here, and put me in real danger of a sour nAir leading into a combo. Just hopping around and taking pot shots gets me pretty far, but inevitably something like game 4 happens, where I throw out a projectile (in this case, MB), and he just eats right through it, leading to big damage or even kills. Occasionally I can just keep ahead and get a few reads to take a game, but it's very hard to deal with my attacks being turned back on me so frequently. I've said for a while that the nonexistent priority on projectiles cripples Mega's ability to contend with the high tiers, and Boss has always done the best job of exploiting that out of anyone I play against. I was wondering if someone had an idea on how to make Mega's offense work better against overly aggressive play like Boss'. I know that Scatt has mixed results against Fatality, but the things I see him pull in his sets don't play out for me in my region. Surely there is a way to not feel like my back is against the wall the whole game?

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Here is one agaisnt a Plat II player from the ladder, Pac Man

Watched 28m. This Pac is either lower level or has much less MU knowledge than the one you fought in the other video. He was very flowcharty and didn't adapt well to air shooter or leaf shield.

You played pretty well, but you're still making many of the same mistakes:

- stop going for dAir so much. Go for attacks you can actually land, or at least take stage control and equip with MB/LS.

- you don't seem to know that Pac's sideB has super armor once he reaches the power pellet. Trying to bAir it is pretty risky unless you have excellent reflexes and are already close when he starts the move.

- you definitely aren't familiar with the mechanics of hydrant. It has a little under 13HP. The attack that launches it determines the launch angle. If Pac drops back and fSmashes it, that's a free punish; you can just stand a short distance away and start running as soon as he connects. The hydrant will sail harmlessly overhead. Stop using Mega Buster on the hydrant. Pellets are great for disrupting zDrop hydrant shenanigans. Don't forget that MB pierces the hydrant. You can apply a lot of pressure on him by throwing a blade through the hydrant. Then launching it with your choice of attack depending on the desired angle.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Wouldn't mind some discussion on how to fight this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nl2Gsxgzgc
Alright so you started fine, but after he rolled through your metal blade, for whatever reason you started to keep away from him by walking right. In cases like that, unless they have some slick armor moves, you'd be better off jumping back and throwing out a lemon. This way if he rolls your still creating distances between you and him while throwing out damage. You need to use those lemons on mii brawler right away to establish your spacing.

Shortly after you trid to come in with a top spin which leaves you hella open, try to use it s a tech chace instead of trying to simply get in. When you landed your slide at 33s, that was your chance to do a Up.smash. Nothing he was going to throw out aside from a jump was going to stop that, he was right above you, worse case it would have traded. You started to use upsmash after that, once hitting him then going in for another. The first one was fine, after that, you need to check where you are and how high he is. Throwing out a short hop Air Shooter is going get some damage on him (10%)

Your movement is fine but your needing to throw out more lemons. After watching through the matched it just seemed like you were moving but not really doing anything with the movement.If your having issues with trying to use your lemons and hitting him. throw up your leaf shield and use that movment you have to get some hits on him. Also you had great ledge gaurding with zdrops and leaf shields.

hope that helps

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
When I watch the replay now i think of the video "Juggernaut *****" and Mega Man saying "Are you an ass, your weapons can not harm me, Gotcha dumb ass, reaaah"

<_< I have issues

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Very slick. That is how glide toss really helps us out. Make them think twice about trying to sit and spam.

Top Bottom