• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Yeah_ok

Smash Rookie
Very good movement over all.
In the pit match up you seemed to get repetitive on the edge guard at one point with the leaf shield/MB attacking but it was tight execution that stopped a hard punish. Your leaf shield edge game is strong, the only slight adjustment I would make is stagger the approach to mix up otherwise that was great execution all around as far as I'm concerned.
One thing is for sure I like your Up-Air game!! Sometimes I use it situationally but not for pressure as much as you do. Great matches!!

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I am sure that someone mentioned jab-locking with fair sourspot sometime ago... can't remember who it was tho.

Recent matches from SSguy on Tourney Locator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtUNxAqvP9k :4mewtwo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwf5H6vNQ9I :4yoshi:

So while we are discussiing Mewtwo now on the matchup thread, what do you guys think, what did SSguy did right/wrong?

I had the chance to face one of the top players of my region who uses Yoshi, both in a tourney and on some friendlies yesterday, and while the Cub doesn't play as agressive as him, i don't think i am as mobile as SSguy either, so this set gives me an idea on what i could work on...
Still, i just can't seem to stop him when he gets going.

What do you guys think?

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I really like how he tries to use metal blade at every moment possible just about. His style is similar to mine but he does some different choices that are interesting. Must test!

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Gonna need a lot of help here: I've been missing in action from playing Smash for quite some time now, and coming back to it I'm at a really bad start with Mega Man and I wonder if the character is even right for my style anymore and I worry how well I'm going to do in my next tournaments at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AyWnIO6PiE:4ness::4greninja:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDp9slm-EvU :4wiifitm::4kirby:

I would have more replays of my losses, but these are all I have to work with atm. Even though I used to do decently to goodly in my locals and am a well-respected player in my area (some even refer to me as a local hero after once beating Melee Legend Hungrybox, though I don't view it as much of an accomplishment anymore), I can't really call myself a good Mega Man from actually watching how I played before and how I play now, I haven't noticed any improvements over the past month and I still feel as though I'm the same player as I was before. Especially after the Ness and Wii Fit Matches (though to be frank, I have absolutely no experience fighting Wii Fit), I almost feel like dropping Mega Man after such a pitiful display.

Things I'm aware of, both Mega Man-specific and in general (ignore this if you wish, though the comment in red might be the easiest answer to my problems and you could read that one):
  • I have terrible ledge guarding and edgeguarding, somehow I let my opponents return onstage too easily and I give them too much respect when they have to pick a ledge option, usually scared of getting aerial'd or worse (like maybe a suicide kill if I'm fighting Ganondorf). In the Wii Fit Match, I feel like such an idiot going for Leaf Shield just about every time he was on the ledge, and I did little to nothing else to challenge him. I would try to ledge trump, but I can't do it consistently yet and I dunno what else to do.
  • Somebody recently told me that I don't seem to pay enough enough attention to what my opponent is doing, and as a result I get hit by incoming or random things that really shouldn't be hitting me, such as incoming projectiles or random aerials. Normally, people tell me that my shielding is rather good, but watching that WFT match I got hit by the obvious Sun move several times and didn't learn from it. Man do I feel so stupid for that.. Somehow, I also let that Ness keep getting away with using DownB against my lemons..
  • I felt my lemon play in those videos wasn't quite the best, and my spacing could've been better (especially in the Ness video, I dunno how but he got in much more easily than I wanted him too). Though for this one I did feel a bit handicapped by my controller, but I'll get on to this later.
  • A few months ago, someone once said I don't seem to make great use of Metal Blades, and it still seems to be the case now. Apart from using it to get grabs, string into dtilt, pressure shields, the fullhop metal blade > Mega Upper Kill Setup/Grab (an input error I'm making a LOT somehow, tossing the blade straight forwards instead of downwards), and z-drop edgeguarding I dunno what else I can do with them to be honest. I use them a lot, but I seem to use it a lot in a bad way and get hardly any reward from it. So far, I've also found little to no use for tossing them Straight Upwards (not counting the DICIT, which I can't really do yet anyway), does anyone now of one?
  • I'm pretty grab happy: I go for too many grabs and whiff too many grabs, I've always had this issue since I started playing the game and after about a year of it, it still hasn't gone. I also find myself maybe going for a bit too many hard reads in general with Usmash as well, and I'm noticing that I LOVE my Falling Uairs (Can't Beat Air Man, after all) and seem to go for them far too often. I've noticed this for awhile, but I seem to love Air Shooer too much to quit using it, and I'm also noticing that I tend to fullhop it instead of shorthop it.
  • Probably my biggest weakness: I have a linear gameplan and a lack of mixups, I think at least 3 people have told me this now. Whenever I go into a new match it kinda feels like I'm doing the same thing: zone with lemons, MB for grabs and edgeguards, Falling Uairs for damage and platform pressure, and some shenanigans with Crash Bomber and Leaf Shield; not much else beyond that. Since I've been told this 3 times I've been looking for more ways to mix up my game (mainly autocanceled Dair, Diagonal Metal Blades, slide pivoting, and trying to learn DICIT), but I just can't find it and end up going into autopilot or end up too scared to try my newly learned technique in the heat of battle. I've essentially turned myself into a one-trick pony, I think the people around me are starting to catch onto me and I'm now paying the price for it.
But while I notice many of the things I'm doing wrong, the problem is that I am tunnel-visioned and unable to find what I could be doing instead. I can see what I'm doing wrong but I'm unaware of all my options and continue to go to auto-pilot with what little I know (which ties in with the one-trick pony thing mentioned, really desperate to fix this) and I still don't know what to do. That's where you come in: What do you think is the most my gameplay is missing? What would you recommend that I start incorporating? What habits do you think are mandatory for me to break? I think that if I can find my answer to these 3 questions, maybe all my problems will be slowly be solved.

I have to say though, my controller is pretty ****ty now because it tends to randomly move the control stick leftwards and make severe input errors: Walking when I want to Dash, Tilts that were supposed to be Smashes (or vice versa, though rarely), making my attacks & projectiles aim in the wrong direction (especially metal blades), a Fair or Bair that was supposed to be a Lemon or opposite aerials, and making it really infuriating to try and z-drop (usually just tossing a metal blade forwards instead) or b-reverse anything. By using this stupid thing, I feel rather slopped in my actions and I feel muddled and slow with the broken stick taking away some mobility I'd otherwise have (especially when using lemons). Maybe this could be a handicap for me, and I hope I can get myself a better controller sometime soon.

Could really use all the help I could get here. I don't want to drop Mega Man, but I'm feeling an urge to change my new main to :4pacman: if things don't change soon, as I feel he may be a better click for me and I always wanted him in Smash and here he is. Not to blame the character for my losses (in fact, I can tell I'm suffering from fundamentals more than anything), but playing with MM lately has got me thinking about maybe he just doesn't fit my playstyle as much as I thought and playing him has not been as fun as it used to be. Next tournament I head to though, I'm going to be using Pac-Man instead of MM and see how that plays out, maybe then I'll find who's the better Man for me.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Gonna need a lot of help here: I've been missing in action from playing Smash for quite some time now, and coming back to it I'm at a really bad start with Mega Man and I wonder if the character is even right for my style anymore and I worry how well I'm going to do in my next tournaments at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AyWnIO6PiE:4ness::4greninja:

I would have more replays of my losses, but these are all I have to work with atm. Even though I used to do decently to goodly in my locals and am a well-respected player in my area (some even refer to me as a local hero after once beating Melee Legend Hungrybox, though I don't view it as much of an accomplishment anymore), I can't really call myself a good Mega Man from actually watching how I played before and how I play now, I haven't noticed any improvements over the past month and I still feel as though I'm the same player as I was before. Especially after the Ness and Wii Fit Matches (though to be frank, I have absolutely no experience fighting Wii Fit), I almost feel like dropping Mega Man after such a pitiful display.

Things I'm aware of, both Mega Man-specific and in general (ignore this if you wish, though the comment in red might be the easiest answer to my problems and you could read that one):
  • I have terrible ledge guarding and edgeguarding, somehow I let my opponents return onstage too easily and I give them too much respect when they have to pick a ledge option, usually scared of getting aerial'd or worse (like maybe a suicide kill if I'm fighting Ganondorf). In the Wii Fit Match, I feel like such an idiot going for Leaf Shield just about every time he was on the ledge, and I did little to nothing else to challenge him. I would try to ledge trump, but I can't do it consistently yet and I dunno what else to do.
  • Somebody recently told me that I don't seem to pay enough enough attention to what my opponent is doing, and as a result I get hit by incoming or random things that really shouldn't be hitting me, such as incoming projectiles or random aerials. Normally, people tell me that my shielding is rather good, but watching that WFT match I got hit by the obvious Sun move several times and didn't learn from it. Man do I feel so stupid for that.. Somehow, I also let that Ness keep getting away with using DownB against my lemons..
  • I felt my lemon play in those videos wasn't quite the best, and my spacing could've been better (especially in the Ness video, I dunno how but he got in much more easily than I wanted him too). Though for this one I did feel a bit handicapped by my controller, but I'll get on to this later.
  • A few months ago, someone once said I don't seem to make great use of Metal Blades, and it still seems to be the case now. Apart from using it to get grabs, string into dtilt, pressure shields, the fullhop metal blade > Mega Upper Kill Setup/Grab (an input error I'm making a LOT somehow, tossing the blade straight forwards instead of downwards), and z-drop edgeguarding I dunno what else I can do with them to be honest. I use them a lot, but I seem to use it a lot in a bad way and get hardly any reward from it. So far, I've also found little to no use for tossing them Straight Upwards (not counting the DICIT, which I can't really do yet anyway), does anyone now of one?
  • I'm pretty grab happy: I go for too many grabs and whiff too many grabs, I've always had this issue since I started playing the game and after about a year of it, it still hasn't gone. I also find myself maybe going for a bit too many hard reads in general with Usmash as well, and I'm noticing that I LOVE my Falling Uairs (Can't Beat Air Man, after all) and seem to go for them far too often. I've noticed this for awhile, but I seem to love Air Shooer too much to quit using it, and I'm also noticing that I tend to fullhop it instead of shorthop it.
  • Probably my biggest weakness: I have a linear gameplan and a lack of mixups, I think at least 3 people have told me this now. Whenever I go into a new match it kinda feels like I'm doing the same thing: zone with lemons, MB for grabs and edgeguards, Falling Uairs for damage and platform pressure, and some shenanigans with Crash Bomber and Leaf Shield; not much else beyond that. Since I've been told this 3 times I've been looking for more ways to mix up my game (mainly autocanceled Dair, Diagonal Metal Blades, slide pivoting, and trying to learn DICIT), but I just can't find it and end up going into autopilot or end up too scared to try my newly learned technique in the heat of battle. I've essentially turned myself into a one-trick pony, I think the people around me are starting to catch onto me and I'm now paying the price for it.
But while I notice many of the things I'm doing wrong, the problem is that I am tunnel-visioned and unable to find what I could be doing instead. I can see what I'm doing wrong but I'm unaware of all my options and continue to go to auto-pilot with what little I know (which ties in with the one-trick pony thing mentioned, really desperate to fix this) and I still don't know what to do. That's where you come in: What do you think is the most my gameplay is missing? What would you recommend that I start incorporating? What habits do you think are mandatory for me to break? I think that if I can find my answer to these 3 questions, maybe all my problems will be slowly be solved.

I have to say though, my controller is pretty ****ty now because it tends to randomly move the control stick leftwards and make severe input errors: Walking when I want to Dash, Tilts that were supposed to be Smashes (or vice versa, though rarely), making my attacks & projectiles aim in the wrong direction (especially metal blades), a Fair or Bair that was supposed to be a Lemon or opposite aerials, and making it really infuriating to try and z-drop (usually just tossing a metal blade forwards instead) or b-reverse anything. By using this stupid thing, I feel rather slopped in my actions and I feel muddled and slow with the broken stick taking away some mobility I'd otherwise have (especially when using lemons). Maybe this could be a handicap for me, and I hope I can get myself a better controller sometime soon.

Could really use all the help I could get here. I don't want to drop Mega Man, but I'm feeling an urge to change my new main to :4pacman: if things don't change soon, as I feel he may be a better click for me and I always wanted him in Smash and here he is. Not to blame the character for my losses (in fact, I can tell I'm suffering from fundamentals more than anything), but playing with MM lately has got me thinking about maybe he just doesn't fit my playstyle as much as I thought and playing him has not been as fun as it used to be. Next tournament I head to though, I'm going to be using Pac-Man instead of MM and see how that plays out, maybe then I'll find who's the better Man for me.
Wow you just literary explained how I've been feeling lately. I really don't want to drop him either because he is just awesome, and his when thinking about his playstyle it should fit me perfectly, but somehow just doesn't. There are just too many bad habits to break (I was pretty much a n00b when starting with sm4sh and developed some really bad habits) and I can't seem to get rid of them, despite hard efforts to do so. Also I feel that playing almost exclusively MM for all this time has led to me not learning the fundamentals properly.

I have been putting MM on the bench lately, playing a lot of :4littlemac: and :4ganondorf: instead. What I really want is that after a few months of playing no MM at all that I can find my way back to him, take what I learned from those two and be a greater MM than ever.

EDIT:

Scratch that, I played him again today for the first time in like, almost a month and it felt extremely good! I'm not giving up on him just yet ;)

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AyWnIO6PiE :4ness::4greninja:
I can't give any specific advice that you haven't already seen. I will reinforce harassing the opponent while they're off stage though. Go for some stage spikes, meteor, toss a projectile at them, hop out there a little bit to make them guess. Something.

What I can suggest is something that even I need to do more. You need to PAY MORE ATTENTION. When you don't (any of us), you go into auto-pilot and that's when things go wrong if your opponent knows how you play. You have to focus and think about what's going on in the match at that moment and where it can go. What's happening? Am I in a good position? How can I get to a better position? What can I do to get there? Did it work? What now? That's mostly how you go about breaking the "auto pilot" mode when things feel like they're getting stale.

Heck, I'm in the same position. I started out as a pretty strong player in my scene. I got a little inactive and some other good players started showing up. Now I'm trying to get back into it and the older players have gotten way better and are used to my shenanigans. Plus the new players are good too. Gotta step my game up.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Here is a video from me playing on the ladder. Just got one game on there vs a mario. I will be uploading more soon. I have matches against gold level players against ryu, sonic, and meta knight.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Here is the one against Ryu, will post the others after I upload them.

Some critiques would be appreciated.

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753

Some sets from recent tournament I went to. Ended up taking grand finals winning 3 best of 5s. Went all Megaman too. I feel like I could have played the Sonic match up a lot better, advice?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
AerialNinja AerialNinja

Awesome mega man! One of the best I've seen really. Great alga we against sonic. The only thing I would say is maybe utilize leaf shield a bit more, it really helps get grabs in that matchup.

Great tech skills

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Here is a really good set I had with someone on anthers. He ranked up to a platinum later in the day.

I think the luigi matchup is only really in our favor significantly when we are of similar skill level of the opponent.

Critique would be nice!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
My only streamed match from tonight's local tournament.
http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz/v/30006847 (match starts at 0:1:54)

My first tournament back in a good few months now.
After rewatching the footage, I see I have so habits to break still (also need to break that commentator...). A few missed inputs and bad choices got me KOd.

Last edited:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
My only streamed match from tonight's local tournament.
http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz/v/30006847 (match starts at 0:1:54)

My first tournament back in a good few months now.
After rewatching the footage, I see I have so habits to break still (also need to break that commentator...). A few missed inputs and bad choices got me KOd.
Not to be rude but the one commintator really ruined the video for me "I don't play smash idk i dont care" jeez

Really liked the way you handled the rosa, grerat pressurwe

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
TEG Dezmu :4megaman: vs SS PB & J :4pacman:
Nice choice of music. Was this versus one of the Pac-Mains that we've been discussing the matchup with recently? Also there were many times where you could have jumped down and stolen his trampoline to finish him off.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
The paC Man I played was PB&J he runs the smash studios stream not sure if its the one you were referring to though

I am not to sure of the MU so i didnt even know until you mention it that i can steal his tramp =/

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
I feel like my pellet game is really strong right now. Being able to fast fall without missing the follow up hop really turns up the pressure. Keeping moving is important. Using aerial moves with enough time to land with a slide makes MM difficult to hit/punish. Sweetspot nairs seem to give MM a sort of super armor in the right circumstance, as seen in the Little Mac fight. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJfVxvpmf6M ZZS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNhrENJYIUM Captain Falcon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyZkFsDacoE Little Mac

Been checking out some of the vids here. GJ Dez. Aerialninja, looking real good! I had some critiques but I watched your vids a few days ago and I forget most of em. If I recall you did a lot of downward MB's? It seemed to get a tad predictable. And I think you did a lot of dtilts for edgeguarding without much success. Oh yeah, and you seem to like running of the ledge with a fair. That doesn't seem like the best option to do very often. Even if it lands I don't see much success coming from it other than dealing dmg, but I could be wrong. I've never actually thought of doing that before! ha Oh, I think you also did too many approaching from above with uair, which I see many people doing too much. Maybe ease back and do it when you have a better chance of success. Oh, haha just talking about it brings back the memories. I recall you doing a lot of empty jumps and getting punished for it.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/v/30835877?t=01h15m08s :4cloud: (I copied URl at current time to fast forward to my set to save you the trouble of finding it yourself)

Not really sue how to feel about this.... Went to a local today in a 27 or 28-man tourney. I did fairly well against most of the people I played in friendlies, I got my revenge on 2 people who previously defeated me (I'm quite vengeful when it comes to Smash lol, part of my main motivations to improve and keep playing), and after 3 wins in bracket I ended up getting into Top 8, much to my surprise. My last two bracket sets were pretty close to my opponents winning, but otherwise everything seemed to be going well for me..... until this happened. I was then pitted against the 11th ranked PR member of my region this set who normally plays Sheik but he went Cloud this time, I've played him quite a few times now and almost every one of them resulted in my defeat, and the same holds true here. I'm not well versed against against Cloud outside of For Glory, especially since he's been out for only a few days ad I was pretty scared learning had to play against this guy. I dunno how he did it but he pretty much destroyed me, 2 stocked me in almost all 3 matches, and I was put into losers' bracket from this game. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to redeem myself in losers: just as I was about to have my next set, my dad came to pick me up from a bit of an emergency and I was forced to forfeit the tournament and go home. Essentially, this is as far as I got, and when I got back I looked at the bracket again to find myself in 5th place.

Still having off days with Mega Man (now Greninja too as well), the majority of today wasn't all too bad but this set alone leaves me wondering "How did I place this high?" after such a pitiful display. Regardless though, so long as its polite and constructive, whatever criticism or insight you might have for me from this would help a ton. There's a monthly a tomorrow that I may or may not go to, but whether I come or not, I don't wanna go out like this again, it was that embarassing.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
For anyone interested here is a little guide I put together

Last edited:

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
My latest ForGlory highlight reel: Super Fighting Robot - Vol.2, let me know what you think (please be gentle I made it on my phone lol)

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172

Peabnut Bubber

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peabnut124
3DS FC
2449-4746-6273
You're good at weaving in an out. I'd say that vs. C. Falcon match wasn't very representative of why Falcon give us trouble though. He was just sort of throwing out attacks and hoping you'd run into them.
You're right about that Falcon match, but I've played that Falcon plenty of times and he is the best Falcon I have faced. He's beaten me as much as I've beaten him but we both agree in the end that despite what Falcon can do to MM, MM can do just as much back and should be the winner of the MU

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Well, smashboards decided not to alert me about this thread for some time, and now i have a lot of stuff to watch :I

Well, one at a time i guess.
Funkermonster Funkermonster
Not sure how to deal with Cloud that well either, me and @Just a Random Guy were discussing our first impressions on him sometime ago, if i may quote myself:

Just played a friend with him online. Played only for 1 hour, he has been practicing cloud since the day he was released.
Doesn't seem as bad as i thought.

His default projectile is pretty meh, pellets stop it, thrown LS just plows trough it, but even when its spinning around you, the leaves can stop it as well(not always).

He can kill ridiculously early, his jab seems very good too. His recovery seems pretty bad. Not Little Mac tier, but a Cloud without a jump and without his limit break off-stage, seems pretty dead, even hitting dair on him is very easy as well.
I know that he can do some stuff like jump, airdodge into the stage and use his down B to negate the landing lag, anyone out there knows if LS stops him from doing that?

Some of his aerials autocancel wich can get problematic, but honestly, just keep moving and doing your Megaman thing.

Try to play more keep away, get him off stage and give him hell once you do. I heard he also doesn't get anything out of his throws, and his finishing touch also doesn't goes through shields like the KO punch, so shielding is not too bad.

This are all just my first impressions, and its way too early to say if we beat/lose to him.

Watching your match i saw some of the problems i had with him, trying to shield grab his spaced autocanceling aerials, wich leads to us getting punished, and i think you used pellets carelessly a few times. His aerials are kinda like shulk's, disjoints that can just plow trough most of our projectiles.

I think we need to use pellets the same way we use against Shulk and other swordfighters, wait for them to jump, shoot & retreat, mix up with some rar bair and SH Uair when you can. We can't try to force our way down when he puts us in the air either.

He doesn't get anything guaranteed from his throws, and if we try to force our way down we get juggled by his ******* aerials, wich results in ridiculous amounts of damage in a short time. I think jumping out, LS and then coming down is the way to go.
Use Crash Bomb at every single given safe opportunity. The usual "they will either shield, run at you, roll/airdodge" rule still applies, but literally everything harassing him while he charges his limit helps.

Also when he is off stage we need to throw everything plus the kitchen sink at him, on stage he will be killing us a lot early than we kill him, so we need to abuse his crappy recovery, especially cause if he has his limit charged and we get him out there, he will be forced to waste it to get back. Again, all first impressions of mine.

On a side note: **** finishing touch. I mentioned that is not that bad since it doesn't break shields nor has armor or whatever, but i still hate fighting one hit KO moves :I

Top Bottom