• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
leaf shield can stun them into being forced into the footstool animation, but it's still risky just jumping in with nothing but that to protect you,and if they do an attack it may well win >.>
YIHAH!

D

Deleted member

I actually don't find it to be useful. I was able to simulate it, by playing my GF. Any hard whiffed smashes or something, I was able to pull it off. But I found myself really fishing for it.

I'd say possibly on a shield break, it could be useful.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
on shield break it's definitely your best option if they aren't already at kill percent, as it's a for sure. In actual matches however, i totally agree with you @ellejayfish as how often are you in footstool position with a blade in hand unless you're specifically going for it?

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Considering we can kill Mario at 65% with this if we manage to pull it off, i don't think doing it as an infinite is really necessary.

How would we pull this off in a match tho? Maybe if they with a fsmash or dsmash when we are close enough?
the only person i've seen land it in a match is beatfox and it was when someone whiffed a laggy move when he had leafshield up and a mb in hand. pretty situational in general in my opinion.

it's really unsafe to try if you don't have leafshield up

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Wonder why they don't, and he/she(i heard the commentator saying "she has been hitting so much shoryukens" so maybe its a girl?) is really good too, what a shame.

That SD in the second game was pretty unfortunate, but overall seems like he/she handles Link pretty well. Kinda wanted to see how that game with Rosa ended tho :I

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
I'm doing pretty good in my area (Stockholm, capitol of Sweden) but I haven't gotten any good footage lately... Can show this one though (this is what it looks like when I haven't played for while, got the W but I feel that I didn't really deserve it, a LOT of mistakes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=781XpEZq-DM

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, got a few more vids from another tournament(yesterday, actually), was hoping to see what you're thoughts are! Just to note, the grand finals game I only used megaman 1 game since after I felt like mario stood a better chance. Thoughts on the little mac mega matchup? I feel like I'm improving when it comes to mega vs peach as well, which can be seen below!

Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Yoshi K.(Palutena) [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Pools)
Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Pulse Loe1(Luigi/Diddy) [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Winners Semis)
Smasher1001(Megaman) vs Mikey L.(Peach) [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Pools Winners Finals Best of 5)
Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Pulse Loe1(Little Mac) [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Pools Grand Finals R1 Best of 5)

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, got a few more vids from another tournament(yesterday, actually), was hoping to see what you're thoughts are! Just to note, the grand finals game I only used megaman 1 game since after I felt like mario stood a better chance. Thoughts on the little mac mega matchup? I feel like I'm improving when it comes to mega vs peach as well, which can be seen below!

Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Yoshi K.(Palutena) [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Pools)
Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Pulse Loe1(Luigi/Diddy) [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Winners Semis)
Smasher1001(Megaman) vs Mikey L.(Peach) [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Pools Winners Finals Best of 5)
Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Pulse Loe1(Little Mac) [11/8/2015] [Poplar Pop Off Pools Grand Finals R1 Best of 5)
In the lil mac MU, try to decrease the chances of landing on him from the air. They have super armor moves that just punish you and i've talked with lil mac mains who say that they want their opps in the air so they can upsmash, cuz of how safe it is. I saw you landing on him in the beginning and yea it can get frustrating because of his super armor moves, but here's where you can adapt. Shield and punish is how you should play the MU. if you ask any lil mac player, they'll say they dont like grabbing and yea lil mac's grab sucks. so shield is a good option. Dont be afraid to play the lame game. i mean maximize on playing lame, camp away a side b haymaker away, and projectile spam him. also, if you condition him to your proectiles long enough, he'll approach you and you can then anticipate this and activate leaf shield for a grab. the best way to fight mac is to juggle him in the air and keep him in the air, grabs and down tilt are your friends in this MU

also, ive noticed that you are approaching alot, and lil mac spaces your lemons and then punishes your end lag on lemons, be aware of that. i hate how megaman has to play a bit lame in this MU, but you have to cuz of mac's super armor moves, cuz i mean lemons get beat by punches, and you know what happens next? we get punished by end lag lemons, its lame, so play lame if you have to

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Forgive the quality I just grabbed a 4 glory highlight that I recorded from my phone.
Be gentle....
http://youtu.be/nFGZDiBDlC4
Don't know if that footstool at the end was intentional, but the overall rule applies: if it works, it was on purpose.

So, anyone with Lucario experience can say something about SSguy's match?
Cause there are literally no lucarios in my region so...

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Don't know if that footstool at the end was intentional, but the overall rule applies: if it works, it was on purpose.

So, anyone with Lucario experience can say something about SSguy's match?
Cause there are literally no lucarios in my region so...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxEDRFJK4dk VS. :4mewtwo:/:4pikachu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frI1Cip4mfk VS. :4lucario:/:4greninja:

I am unsure what to do against this particular Lucario. I feel like he plays extremely predictable but I can't seem to find a safe way in. It seems silly but I know there has to be a way in.
We have a Lucario in our scene that's been getting better and he's been giving me more and more trouble. I can't really offer anything other than:
They like to b-reverse their aura spheres in either an attempt to land on you and then cancel the charge into something else or they'll use it to gain some distance. Spark Shock/Flame Blast can beat out the first option. Fsmash can sometimes reach far enough to connect on the second option. It's just a hard read to make because it's a great mixup for Lucario.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Sheik/Olimar

The set wasn't bad but nothing truly stood out. Still looking for advice on Sheik. The one thing I can say I could have done better was respect Olimar's range when landing.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxEDRFJK4dk VS. :4mewtwo:/:4pikachu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frI1Cip4mfk VS. :4lucario:/:4greninja:

I am unsure what to do against this particular Lucario. I feel like he plays extremely predictable but I can't seem to find a safe way in. It seems silly but I know there has to be a way in.
yeh, not sure how to counter lucario's approach except with reading, but ive noticied this lucario likes to get his conversions by jumping nair, jumping fair,and when he jumps to you, he spaces himself to not hit you. theres thiss safe space where it seems like hes going to hit you, but its because you approached him enough, and your end lag frames of your lag get you punished. like the commentators were saying, hes just waiting for you to commit to soemthing then punish. the last match you adapted really well at reading his jump patterns and reacting good.the only thing i think of is that you were getting frustrated at his playstyle, and this caused lucario to get some conversions. i think now that ive got my thoughts expressed, its about watching lucario's jump patterns and reading when hes safe and when hes not safe and going in

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Unfortunately, you can't allow him to just freely charge up his aura spheres either. We need to keep Lucario scared.

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
Some sets at the UofM. Ended up taking 2nd after going through like 8 people in loser's since I lost early, but miraculously ended up in Grands. Some critique would be nice

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
AerialNinja AerialNinja I watched some of your sets, and I must say, your Mega Man is actually pretty solid. The only thing I could complain about is a lack of Utilts, and even then it isn't necessarily bad. I still have to watch your Doubles sets...
Do you mind telling me what the tournament schedule looked like ? The last time I went to a weekly tournament, it went on from 9.30 P.M. 'til Midnight...

Last edited:

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
AerialNinja AerialNinja I watched some of your sets, and I must say, your Mega Man is actually pretty solid. The only thing I could complain about is a lack of Utilts, and even then it isn't necessarily bad. I still have to watch your Doubles sets...
Do you mind telling me what the tournament schedule looked like ? The last time I went to a weekly tournament, it went on from 9.30 P.M. 'til Midnight...
This was a monthly, I arrived at like 9am and the tourney ended like 11pm after doubles and singles. I'll try to up tilt more, I end up whiffing them most of the time and dying though. I just struggle with getting kills so often

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
So, AerialNinja AerialNinja , do you prefer battlefield/dreamland to flat stages? I noticed the picks and was wondering your thoughts. Great matches btw, can definitely see the thought processes and some interesting choices.

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
So, AerialNinja AerialNinja , do you prefer battlefield/dreamland to flat stages? I noticed the picks and was wondering your thoughts. Great matches btw, can definitely see the thought processes and some interesting choices.
I do prefer platforms, spamming up air on shied is very safe shield pressure and it gives me more landing options when I recover high. I don't like Dreamland though, since wind messes up my spacing and I never get kills early off the top, personally. I usually go Battlefield vs most characters. When the Greninja counter picked Dreamland it was because I banned Town and City and Duck Hunt, since those are godlike Greninja stages and he wanted to deny me Battlefield. Also, I picked Lylat against Greninja because he knows how to do those 0-80 footstool combos and flat stages make it easy for him and Megaman down tilt has pretty cheesy effects with Lylat ledges.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Some critique would be nice
Looks like you have solid fundamentals and good reactions.
Watching the vs. Kirby in grand match:
  • You REALLY need to pummel when you grab. Mega Man has the most damaging pummel in the game (it's slow but it hurts). You're losing out on damage. If they're above 30%, that's one pummel you can get.
  • It also feels like you could have capitalized on him recovering high. Fsmash or usmash would have hit him before he grabbed the ledge.
  • Diamond Octobot was right about the utilts. You should be looking out for them when they may happen. I saw a few times when you could have done it. Yeah, it is a risky move, but it is a great move too.
I'll have to watch the others later.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So this was supposed to be 4 matches, two sets from online tourneys i had, but i managed to delete de second match of the first tournament by accident, sucks cause that one was 3 minutes long so i would be able to post it with good quality too(why are capture cards so expensive?...)
Anyways, the last two matches are the more recent ones, am i playing this MU correctly now? I lost to this guy two tourneys in a row, and the second time(the first match of the video) it was pretty bad, so i tried to play more patient and safe this time.

So i'm wondering now if i played it right, or if my opponent was just having a bad day.

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
A couple of my on-stream matches from Rumble in the Tundra 5 this past weekend. Any advice would be great! Taking R.O.B. to Battlefield was a pretty dumb mistake, haha!

There's some other random stuff on my channel as well if you feel like checking it out..namely some FG matches and friendlies with other people from the region.

Thanks!

raizur

Smash Cadet
NNID
raizur
3DS FC
4425-1652-3596
If you guys don't mind critiquing my Megaman, I have a good amount of replays to show, so instead of putting them link by link, I'll be putting the channel's video sections where the replays are found. Ignore the first replay that was 3 months ago, and the one after it, because I believe I accidentally uploaded the same replay twice. Any other Megaman replay is open for reviewing.
https://www.youtube.com/user/nin10doh3ds/videos
Thank you in advance!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
If you guys don't mind critiquing my Megaman, I have a good amount of replays to show, so instead of putting them link by link, I'll be putting the channel's video sections where the replays are found. Ignore the first replay that was 3 months ago, and the one after it, because I believe I accidentally uploaded the same replay twice. Any other Megaman replay is open for reviewing.
https://www.youtube.com/user/nin10doh3ds/videos
Thank you in advance!
Overall, I'd say you perform Mega Man's very risky moves frequently. You're getting punished for throwing them out.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Utilts, fsmash, dair, and falling aerials. I'd say dsmash, but you KOed with one use, and were just a hair too late in using it the other time you used it (I'll blame latency on that one). A lot of the damage you took was from using moves at inopportune times and getting punished for them.

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
A little collection of my favourite For Glory wins over the past few months. I'm hoping to do one of these every month from now on.

Yeah_ok

Smash Rookie
Watching everyone's videos make me realize one thing: everyone has a set pattern or rhythm for their lemons.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Imo not a good mega man. No short hop game, no rush out of combos, no leaf shield, really weak pellet game. He couldn't recover well coming down from up high. That is one of megas strengths using rush and leaf shield and mix it with fast falls. Always spam up B when you get hit up in the air and it will confuse the normal way people practice to follow up their hit confirms.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Imo not a good mega man. No short hop game, no rush out of combos, no leaf shield, really weak pellet game. He couldn't recover well coming down from up high. That is one of megas strengths using rush and leaf shield and mix it with fast falls. Always spam up B when you get hit up in the air and it will confuse the normal way people practice to follow up their hit confirms.
I guess you are talking about the one who played against the DHD, right ?
Well, I must admit that he got beaten pretty badly...
He should have used more Item MB imo. These things are able to destroy the clay discs (I dunno how they are called). He still tried, and seeing what doesn't work is always useful.

I actually think that the match against Shiek is the most interesting... It shows some of the optimal DI against Shiek's throws.

Top Bottom