• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Thanks and howdy to you too!

I never knew of his dthrow combo before this so I found out the hard way unfortunately :urg: It's definitely something I will avoid in future but I also found his jab scary when I was at close range because I was always stupidly caught by it.
Yeah, the latest patch gave Robin a Dthrow for combos. Not sure if he gets anything guaranteed at kill percents, have to check that.

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
Dang, all you guys have such cool ways of using the full hop diagonal metal blade. I've never explored the application of that tool as much as I, now realize, should have been doing.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Our group has a Robin main and he's been loving the buffs he/she got with the last patch.

Robin now has his own "hoo-hah". They're calling it the "check-mate". It's a dthrow to smash uair and it can kill pretty early. It works better on fast fallers (like Mega Man). Even at the percents where it stops working, they have other options that work at later percents. Robin's bread and butter is also thunder and arc thunder. With the reduced endlag on the moves, he can grab combo from even them. Staying out of grab range is essential as you'll get jabbed if he blocks your approach.

Last edited:

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Pro-tip for you guys that have trouble with Robin's projectiles excluding arc-fire: crouch. Mega Man's crouch literally nullifies almost all pressure that Robin exerts from a distance since you can avoid all of Robin's thunder spells by simply pressing down. As long as you're on a flat surface you can avoid most of his projectiles rather easily.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Nice one, @ ScAtt77 ScAtt77 :p
But if you don't feel like crouching, you can still Shield (bad move in CQC) or use Rush to get out of danger. Then, you can fire a Leaf Shield in the air to land with nearly no lag, or just stall a bit with a jump then land with a Nair. Or if you feel aggressive in CQC, just Shield & Grab :shades:

Last edited:

Jaysonfire

Smash Rookie
awh damn I never use crouch ever to avoid moves but if it nullifies most of Robin's specials think I'm gonna be doing it more often.

edit: does down tilt work too?

Last edited:

Jaysonfire

Smash Rookie
You should use more pellets. Pellets cancel out Thunder and Elthunder. Pellets also clank with Arcthunder and Arcfire, but retain their multi hit, so you should try to pressure Robin at a medium range distance, and avoid getting hit with the multi hit. Her only long range attacks are books and Thoron so I don't like being too far away from her. They only way she can get to you is if you get hit by an Arcfire or Arcthunder, so just respect those. Also, you should be careful with approaching Robin at the edge, they usually go for an uair so have a shield ready. Also, try recovering in between the Arcfire and the Robin when she is going for the Arcfire on the ledge strategy, it covers your landing by hitting Robin and Arcfire covers ledge options really well. (Jump, wait, neutral get up, attack, and if you roll it's easy to predict). You should also try throwing Leaf shield more, it cancels out everything except thoron and it hits Robin and gets her into the air (which can set you up for a bair, uair, anything). Being under Robin is the indicator for going aggressive. Don't let her land since she has weak landing options.

Tldr: Use pellets to cancel out projectiles, play a bit more patiently,tone down on aggressiveness because you're getting bodied by chip damage, throw leaf shield, and don't let Robin land.

Credibility: Rank 1 on Anther's ladder plays Robin and lives in our state and the match up is my favorite to play

Thanks will definitely take all this on board. I usually am quite a patient player but I kinda got frustrated and started to silly things. Throwing the LS is something I now do more often with MU's that have a lot of projectiles but I stupidly neglected it in this one.

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
Hello peeps, I haven't posted anything related to Smash 4 yet because I mainly play the game for fun. I still attend the monthlies where I live, and I've been doing well. I've won the past two monthlies, the most recent one being on Sept. 5th. We had a functional stream this time though, so it was all recorded.

Here's the archive: http://www.twitch.tv/uvic_smash_club/v/14580231

The time stamps for when I'm on are as follows.
Early brackets: 1:37:50 - 1:44:15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVerDK4y1vU
Winners Semis: 1:48:40 - 2:01:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_9aoxpDQZo
Winners Finals: 2:27:20 - 2:49:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35g62UIThyw
Grand Finals: 3:52:00 - End of archive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgtoiddDqBs
Just going to quote this and add the Youtube links to the bracket now that they're uploaded.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Hey guys, first time posting my megaman for some critique. Would love to hear some thoughts on how I did. Things I did right, things i did wrong(like downsmashing for a death lol). Input would be much appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7lJ-cUN8oE Winners semis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cadWCp1CYNs Losers Finals
You handled those characters well. Sonic has issues with Mega Man and you showed why. I can't really critique much aside from taking the risk on reading that ledge get up. You play too similarly to me...

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Hey guys, first time posting my megaman for some critique. Would love to hear some thoughts on how I did. Things I did right, things i did wrong(like downsmashing for a death lol). Input would be much appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7lJ-cUN8oE Winners semis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cadWCp1CYNs Losers Finals
So, about the 2nd video, I think...
  • More Leaf Shield. You had some good Metal Blade angles (dem downwards tosses), but you didn't use Leaf Shield to go aggro right when you landed. It isn't that bad, but doing it once in a while certainly helps.
  • I saw that you lost Field Control most of the time when using Crash Bomb. I guess you should try to create more space before using it.
  • Where are the FSmashes and Dtilts ? He didn't leave many openings (no Top Spin connected), so I can't blame you for Dtilt, but you should toss out a FSmash once in a while (Just make sure to have enough space, and don't charge it). It should have an impact. A limited one, but your opponent would have been even more careful, which means more grabs for you with Leaf Shield :p
  • Oh, and you missed 1 or 2 Jab Locks.
That was certainly a good match. I don't really know what to say, but I hope this helps :-p

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
yeah, i def need to work on capitalizing on jab locks, i tend to miss those alot >.< And for f-smash just occasionally when they're far away and may approach then for pressure pretty much. I def agree with more leafshield, need more of it for sure, just need to figure out when to pull it out more often. Thanks for the comments, I'll def try to post more vids in the future!

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Tourney Locator just posted some stuff, here are some SSguy videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd40-M_6PT8 Vs :4yoshi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW4WJQ9HWMs Vs :4sheik:

Not sure if Halberd was a good idea. Don't really like that stage against anyone, especially vs Mario (usmash for days), Fox (second verse same as the first) and Sheik , i guess we get some nice early utilt kills there, but against this characters we are more often getting hit rather than hitting with anything.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Tourney Locator just posted some stuff, here are some SSguy videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd40-M_6PT8 Vs :4yoshi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW4WJQ9HWMs Vs :4sheik:

Not sure if Halberd was a good idea. Don't really like that stage against anyone, especially vs Mario (usmash for days), Fox (second verse same as the first) and Sheik , i guess we get some nice early utilt kills there, but against this characters we are more often getting hit rather than hitting with anything.
That match with Yoshi was great, I would like to know how do we have the martchup with Yoshi

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Back again guys, with some more vids from our weekly again! This time we had a solid 71 entrants, ended up taking 5th Losing to 2 of our states best players. Mostly went mega instead of mario this tourney just to see how i would fair with him hope you guys just enjoy the vids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcBMa81g5Sc Winners Round 3 (Just one of our reasonable non PR players)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=771edD3QQyk Winners Semis (Zinoto is our #2 PR just behind Ally)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5aasSIcjHA Losers R8/Quarters (LOE1 is #4 on our PR)

Included the players rank/skill to give you guys a better idea of the quality of who I'm fighting. I myself am 10th on MI's PR, this is the first season I'm really starting to pull out Mega as well as mario, I figure I need to pull him out more so I can co-main him with my mario!

Any critique, advice, good or bad things you noticed or things I could be doing but am not please mention, I love getting advice to improve myself!

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Back again guys, with some more vids from our weekly again! This time we had a solid 71 entrants, ended up taking 5th Losing to 2 of our states best players. Mostly went mega instead of mario this tourney just to see how i would fair with him hope you guys just enjoy the vids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcBMa81g5Sc Winners Round 3 (Just one of our reasonable non PR players)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=771edD3QQyk Winners Semis (Zinoto is our #2 PR just behind Ally)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5aasSIcjHA Losers R8/Quarters (LOE1 is #4 on our PR)

Included the players rank/skill to give you guys a better idea of the quality of who I'm fighting. I myself am 10th on MI's PR, this is the first season I'm really starting to pull out Mega as well as mario, I figure I need to pull him out more so I can co-main him with my mario!

Any critique, advice, good or bad things you noticed or things I could be doing but am not please mention, I love getting advice to improve myself!
Co-maining Mega man is hard. And when I say hard, I REALLY MEAN HARD. If you feel brave enough to try, then, go ahead, but given that Mario is your true main, just train Mega Man as a secondary. (Your :4megaman: being better than mine, your Mario must be terrifying)

P.S.: I say that because many Mega Mains already feel like he really is exausting. Just ask anyone here, they will say the same thing.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Co-maining Mega man is hard. And when I say hard, I REALLY MEAN HARD. If you feel brave enough to try, then, go ahead, but given that Mario is your true main, just train Mega Man as a secondary. (Your :4megaman: being better than mine, your Mario must be terrifying)

P.S.: I say that because many Mega Mains already feel like he really is exausting. Just ask anyone here, they will say the same thing.
I didn't mean to make a big post here, but it turned into a story time post :p

Well, I choose characters based on favorites pretty much lol. I chose Mario and never got a secondary in 64,melee and brawl cuz no one clicked with me as a char and I didn't particularly love any of them the same as Mario. Then smash 4 came out, and I tried mega and my god he did not feel right. at all. So I went a good 6 or 7 months just maining mario, toyed with rosa/zamus but they fell off for me, since I wasn't super enthralled with them and I figured any time i spent on them would just be hurting my marios growth.

I did toy with mega here and there as a handicap cuz of how completely unorthodox he is compared to Mario a lil bit but it was bad(i'd dair into the ground and downsmash as a quick punish[Mario habits X.X]) One day i was talking about how some matchups seemed really hard for me(Luigi and Diddy in particular, Rosa but not quite as bad) with my friend and he told me I needed a secondary. I explained my reasoning on secondaries taking practice away from your main, and he said i should pick something good for those chars I'm bad at. I took exactly half of his advice.

I ended up deciding if I was going to get a secondary it's going to be a character I thought is awesome, and not just for countering problem matchups. Megaman is this character for both that, as I reasoned If you have a secondary, you want something significantly different than what your main offers. Mario and Mega are both very different(though my hyper aggression still somehow bleeds into a defensive character.

Thus, I spent a ton of time learning mega and reading information. I don't find mega exhausting myself, he feels like a breath of fresh air with how different he is for me(the fact that he has so many options means there's always some trick or fake out I could learn that i'm either not aware of or not using enough). It prob helps that I feel Mario is heavy on just fundamentals and very light on technical requirements though, given Megaman has all of the technical requirements to learn lol.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I didn't mean to make a big post here, but it turned into a story time post :p

Well, I choose characters based on favorites pretty much lol. I chose Mario and never got a secondary in 64,melee and brawl cuz no one clicked with me as a char and I didn't particularly love any of them the same as Mario. Then smash 4 came out, and I tried mega and my god he did not feel right. at all. So I went a good 6 or 7 months just maining mario, toyed with rosa/zamus but they fell off for me, since I wasn't super enthralled with them and I figured any time i spent on them would just be hurting my marios growth.

I did toy with mega here and there as a handicap cuz of how completely unorthodox he is compared to Mario a lil bit but it was bad(i'd dair into the ground and downsmash as a quick punish[Mario habits X.X]) One day i was talking about how some matchups seemed really hard for me(Luigi and Diddy in particular, Rosa but not quite as bad) with my friend and he told me I needed a secondary. I explained my reasoning on secondaries taking practice away from your main, and he said i should pick something good for those chars I'm bad at. I took exactly half of his advice.

I ended up deciding if I was going to get a secondary it's going to be a character I thought is awesome, and not just for countering problem matchups. Megaman is this character for both that, as I reasoned If you have a secondary, you want something significantly different than what your main offers. Mario and Mega are both very different(though my hyper aggression still somehow bleeds into a defensive character.

Thus, I spent a ton of time learning mega and reading information. I don't find mega exhausting myself, he feels like a breath of fresh air with how different he is for me(the fact that he has so many options means there's always some trick or fake out I could learn that i'm either not aware of or not using enough). It prob helps that I feel Mario is heavy on just fundamentals and very light on technical requirements though, given Megaman has all of the technical requirements to learn lol.
Reading this was time well spent. I started with Ness, but when I saw Mega man's reveal trailer, I decided that I would play the crap out of him, to the point where I feel insecure with my Ness :dizzy:

Anyway, from what I saw from your match against LOE1 :
  • You should try to use UTilt as an anti-air. I don't mean "use it like there's no tomorrow" because we all know it puþs you in a bad position when whiffed, but it can still deal 12% on strong Sourspot and kill at like 120% or more on the light characters. And it can let you get easy ledge trumps.
  • From what I saw, LOE1 got scared at some point and started to spotdodge like crazy. It that kind of situation, I think Usmash is your best bet because of it's long-lasting hitbox (UTilt can work, but if you whiff... :( )
  • When Leaf Shield is up, don't be afraid to roll into your opponent. If he hasn't got any reliable disjoint, the leaves will either hit or clank, letting you get a free grab.
  • Speaking of grabs... I advise you to use BThrow more. I know, it is the kind of move you want to keep as fresh as possible, but passing away from t its free 11% is actually kinda sad.
    Use UThrow instead of DThrow when your opponent is at high %. It deals more damage,has some light Kill potential and gives you complete field control (kills :4mario: at around 212% WITHOUT Rage and deals 7%). It also gives you time to fire a Leaf Shield and Mindgame your opponent on his landing (Shield an attack and he gets grabbed XD )
  • Use more Nairs. They are way safer and easier to connect than FAirs at times and give you positional advantage. Or just disrupt your opponent.
  • Oh, and before I forget, when you want to pressure people coming from afar , trying to recover or to come back on the field, don't be afraid to charge that FSmash when you want to use it. Its Knockback growth is insane, and its size growth is actually pretty impressive. It COULD catch people off-guard or nail their shield hard. (from the match against Zinoto)
  • One last thing. After watching each video, I noticed that you got punished a lot for your Ledge Get-ups.
    Vary the ways you come back on the stage while on the ledge. You can Ledgedrop -> Fair/Nair, Ledgedrop ->Bair, and all the other options (jump, roll & normal get-up) are all viable.

That's all. I wish I could be as aggro as you through...
;_;

P.S. : Tagging you for Edit reasons, @ S smasher1001

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Yea your mega is very aggro S smasher1001 which is not a bad thing. Those opponents are very tough and your mega is really awesome for being a secondary. A lot of the time against zinoto you would get hit with fair after throwing a MB in the air, just watch the endlag on that.

Other than that really good mega, I thought I was the best mega man in Michigan but after seeing how well you did in that tournament you are probably better than me.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
What do you think of this match against Rosalina?
First i'm gonna say that i am trying really hard not to laugh my *** off over the fact your opponent's name is "Dingus".
Other than that, not really much to say, you did fairly well, it was a close match. But keep an eye out for stuff like 5:33, a quick bair after you shielded that Luma shot and it would be one dead star. Any opportunity to get rid of it is golden since you can go to town on Rosa once you do.
Your opponnent also seemed to love roll>dsmash, a Rosalina in my Facebook group loves to do that as well, never roll together with her, keep short hopping and punish with a bair or a usmash if you can get a read.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
First i'm gonna say that i am trying really hard not to laugh my *** off over the fact your opponent's name is "Dingus".
Other than that, not really much to say, you did fairly well, it was a close match. But keep an eye out for stuff like 5:33, a quick bair after you shielded that Luma shot and it would be one dead star. Any opportunity to get rid of it is golden since you can go to town on Rosa once you do.
Your opponnent also seemed to love roll>dsmash, a Rosalina in my Facebook group loves to do that as well, never roll together with her, keep short hopping and punish with a bair or a usmash if you can get a read.
You are right in trying to get rid of Luma faster, it is actually easy to get that thing off and really helpful.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Diamond Octobot Diamond Octobot -Yeah, dunno why but I've always been very aggressive. And despite megas natural suiting for keepaway it just bleeds into him from my mario XD But yeah, rewatching the videos I definitely see what you're saying with some of your suggestions and will keep em in mind, in particular i need to mix my getups more for sure. Thanks ^.^

Red Shirt KRT Red Shirt KRT - Good point noticing the getting punished for metal blade alot. Most oponents dont or can't really punish it, but god do i hate diddys fair, its like a mario bair but better and facing forward X.X So you said you're in MI right? Have you come to many of the tournaments/are you in the MI smash 4 fb group? It lists all the monthly tournies on the banner which makes it easy to find em and go to em.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
So I've never done a montage of myself playing but thought I might as well try to do so atleast once

hope people like it, if not \o(-_-)o/

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
So I've never done a montage of myself playing but thought I might as well try to do so atleast once

Wow you are really good with Megaman, I been training with him, but he is hard to master. Add my NNID and give me a hand, if you do not mind.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman

at 1:38, when you were at neutral, you got beat by diddy's side b and diddy bananna. You had a good approach but sometimes megaman kinda lacks in throwing strong moves. your pellets got beat :\. I would suggest getting up a leaf shield and throw the leaf shield across the stage at 1:38. Surprisngly, leaf shield's active hitboxes goes past most strong moves and can cancel out diddy's side b and you get to win the neutral here.

at 2:29, you were having trouble with diddy's moves beating out yours. This is common problem with megaman players in general. i wish the charachter had a strong non commital attack.You did good converting into leaf shield and metal blade. I would suggest throwing the leaf shield instead, and keeping the metal blade, to catch an unshielded diddy

Tip: when you are being juggled and you know your opp is using moves that beat out our pellets and they fade away attacks, don't attack them. Unfortunately megaman doesn't have good trades. If you ever try to trade with a roy, we get the Gamestop trades, and it sucks. Instead, run away and try to get your spacing.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172

Please tell me you got the idea to use that music from me! I know I posted that here for the community video!

Top Bottom