• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Personally, I prefer 1323. I can see why people like him and his uses in certain MUs, but I'm not really a huge fan of Beat.

D

Deleted member

My latest two matches:

I always have trouble with Dedede. Being unable to kill him was always a struggle. But that's why I actually enjoy FG, somewhat. I can figure out matchups (at least the initial part) and learn. Of course, this wasn't the best Dedede, but it felt really good, nonetheless:

I seem to always lose momentum going into their second stock for some reason. And I caught on to this Pika players habits a little late. But the ending was SO rewarding:

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I prefer 1323. I can see why people like him and his uses in certain MUs, but I'm not really a huge fan of Beat.
Beat is superior. Being ungimpable, recovering high and recovering under stages has way more advantages than the other two. You should try it out and see how good it is when you use the movement speed glitch.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Beat is superior. Being ungimpable, recovering high and recovering under stages has way more advantages than the other two. You should try it out and see how good it is when you use the movement speed glitch.
And what if you're forced to recover low? You are now a bigger target with slow acceleration, and you are much more vulnerable to getting killed with meteor smashes or single strong aerials (usually a Bair) that will kill you outright. In addition:
  • Rush saves you from meteor smashes if you don't move as he bounces you back upwards, Beat doesn't. Rush is also much faster to spring up, and has more utilities onstage than Beat does. Can sometimes escape combos (even with Rush Canceling gone)
  • Tornado Hold, my personal favorite, is the worst as a recovery but it works as a great multi-purpose offensive tool. Good anti-air, out of shield option, combo tool (true combos into Bair or Fair, and you can fire a danger wrap bubble or Uair too), and acts as a barrier for those who want to try and recover low; combines well with z-dropping metal blades and Danger Wraps to make hell for opponents when edgeguarding. In exchange for a subpar recovery, you get all these.
Really, all 3 UpBs are useful in their own right, they are all situational depending on the matchups and are debatable. Heck, I'd argue that pretty much all of :4megaman:'s customs are debatable, all being either matchup-dependent and/or preference-based, nothing is really straight up better than the others or his default set. Even Danger Wrap is debatable.

Beat is good, but I'd rather not get meteor smashed so...... :ohwell:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I've been meteor smashed more with rush than beat. With beat he can move left and right so much while you are rising that you can dodge most attempts to gimp you. And you can recover wide outside and float up top because it goes so far. Rush and TH are too predictable.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
when you recover low with beat, you weave away from the stage, then weave back to the stage, then use your 2nd jump to get on stage. by weaving away the 1st time, its advantageous for you to make your opponent commit to a jump, possibly a 2nd jump, because of how far away you are. most charchters will let you recover instead, because of how risky it is going deep for them. and plus, they got to already be out there to get the timing for the spike and the recovery back in stage.

if your opponent picks up on this recovery tech, you have to keep in mind how your opponent is moving on stage, because their momvement tells you whether you can recover from away of stage, or hugging to the stage. if your opponent thinks you are recovering away from stage, they already will jump away from the stage, while you are still low with beat. this gives you enough time to change trajectory and recover hugging the stage

also, note that if you recover hugging to the stage, prepare to tech when your opponent tries to stage spike you. wat i always do is tech as soon as my opp puts a hitbox on me and it works.

yep i agree, beat isn't always the best up b in every situation. there are times where i find myself up b'ing' because of rush. im not a big fan of tornado hold tho. mainly cuz it doesn't fit my playstyle. my playstyle involves me being near the ledge alot, and sometimes i get horizontal knockback, and it sucks trying to recover with tonrado hold, cuz you feel helpless. and well, i like going deep offstage, and tornado hold keeps me in lock at how deep i can go x_x

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Here is footage of my first big tournament in win NorCal.

#1 ranked Megaman player in my region. I dont have a lot of credible players critique my Megaman gameplay, so I'll take what I can get here :)

Notes:

- Very long set. I had to reset the bracket to win the tournament.

- Yes this is Jeepy, the best Wario in Norcal who got famous on reddit for destroying that sonic player to win the Foundry.

- This is custom Megaman. 1333 to be precise. I firmly believe custom Megaman is incredibly stronger than his vanilla alternative. Praying to smash Jesus that they stay legal after EVO.

Thanks in advance. Any critique to help me get to the next level is much appreciated :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aRjQv5fdJ4
Good stuff. Plant Barrier is the best shield imo and you used it very well

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'll watch more later, but I did watch the first match of the first video. Don't SD if your opponent screws up.
I appreciate the advice, but I cannot violate my code of Man Brawl. I must respect my opponents and defeat them properly. If I have to luck my way through a set, then I probably don't have a chance in the next round anyway. I hope you'll watch the rest of the set, as both of us step our game up.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I appreciate the advice, but I cannot violate my code of Man Brawl. I must respect my opponents and defeat them properly. If I have to luck my way through a set, then I probably don't have a chance in the next round anyway. I hope you'll watch the rest of the set, as both of us step our game up.
Alright. Watched the rest.
But you got lucky in the grand finals when Luigi misfired and got stuck in the side of the stage, netting you a kill. Maybe it is different, but it all seems the same to me. All I can say in those vs. Luigi matches is that you gave up your space too often. Keeping Luigi out is imperative.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
That wasn't just any Luigi...that was Boss haha. I have him figured out a little better now, but honestly it's difficult to play around him. He has a very good eye, and goes for powershields frequently to get in if you just throw hitboxes at him. Lemons definitely don't do the trick.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Yeah. I thought that may have been a well known player. I just don't know very many. Our resident Luigi player in my crew is getting used to the Mega Man MU as well and he has been dash shielding a lot. So I've been grabbing him more. We'll see how he responds to this in the near future.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Charged fsmash nets you stage control on block against Luigi. Difficult to avoid or power shield due to you charging and varying your release timing. When his shield is low, shield poke his head with CB or more pellets.

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
And what if you're forced to recover low? You are now a bigger target with slow acceleration, and you are much more vulnerable to getting killed with meteor smashes or single strong aerials (usually a Bair) that will kill you outright. In addition:
  • Rush saves you from meteor smashes if you don't move as he bounces you back upwards, Beat doesn't. Rush is also much faster to spring up, and has more utilities onstage than Beat does. Can sometimes escape combos (even with Rush Canceling gone)
  • Tornado Hold, my personal favorite, is the worst as a recovery but it works as a great multi-purpose offensive tool. Good anti-air, out of shield option, combo tool (true combos into Bair or Fair, and you can fire a danger wrap bubble or Uair too), and acts as a barrier for those who want to try and recover low; combines well with z-dropping metal blades and Danger Wraps to make hell for opponents when edgeguarding. In exchange for a subpar recovery, you get all these.
Really, all 3 UpBs are useful in their own right, they are all situational depending on the matchups and are debatable. Heck, I'd argue that pretty much all of :4megaman:'s customs are debatable, all being either matchup-dependent and/or preference-based, nothing is really straight up better than the others or his default set. Even Danger Wrap is debatable.

Beat is good, but I'd rather not get meteor smashed so...... :ohwell:
Yeah you can use the momentum glitch and change up your angles however you like. Rush and tornado hold are insanely easier to both spike, and attack out of the air.

Idk if you took the time to look at my footage... But you are definitely NOT a sitting duck as beat. If you practice with it, it can actually be very difficult for your foe to finish you off.

Don't knock it until you try it. I flailed around with Rush and TH for the longest time before realizing how important superior recovery is. Gimmicks are OK, but custom megaman has way more effective methods to net kills, and you're better off eliminating the options of getting gimped, and spiked.

Also, if you have to recover low, just go under the stage and get to the other side. It works perfectly. Lmao

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Sorry to be off topic but how does the momentum glitch work I tried to search it but didn't find anything.

BlkSheep642

Smash Apprentice
Dude... for this reason, you lost game 1, which should've been your win, and your set advantage. Don't EVER think that this code of ethics is going to get you far, because capitalizing on your opponents mistakes is part of the game. In this case, a mistake gave you an entire free stock advantage. Don't SD intentionally, ever lol

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I didn't lose G1 because I SD'd. I lost because he outplayed me the second stock. Just to be clear, I don't compete to win at all costs. I compete to improve. Like I said before, respect is important, both as a matter of principle, and because it brings out the best fight in both players.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
you're not responsible for your opponent making a mistake in the game. that responsibility shouldn't be you taking a stock. let them own up to their mistakes and make improvements for themselves. i mean, if you say you want you and your opp to bring out the best fight in each players...you're kinda giving your opponent a crutch and a safety net for mistakes by yourself paying the price, and possibly throwing the game

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Jeeze, you guys really didn't like that. There are no excuses to be made - it isn't about taking responsibility for the opponent, or not wanting to punish mistakes, or anything of the sort. If I want to, I can win most small to mid-sized tournaments without difficulty, but I don't do that. Simply winning does not satisfy me at all. I want to be challenged and pushed to my limits. I'm obviously not the best player, but I am good enough that I have to seek out a challenge. In order to beat me, you must have a strong love for smash and a competitive spirit. Countless hours of play go into developing that level of skill, and I respect it. If someone comes to test their skill and gets a bad break, matching the SD not only expresses that respect and challenges them to come at you at full strength (people play differently when something like that happens), it also shows self-respect (I don't need a lucky break to beat you). It's also important to understand that this is not a crutch - there are reasons I do it. You don't get a free pass for SDing in every circumstance.

You don't have to play my way, but you should respect it.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Yeah you can use the momentum glitch and change up your angles however you like. Rush and tornado hold are insanely easier to both spike, and attack out of the air.

Idk if you took the time to look at my footage... But you are definitely NOT a sitting duck as beat. If you practice with it, it can actually be very difficult for your foe to finish you off.

Don't knock it until you try it. I flailed around with Rush and TH for the longest time before realizing how important superior recovery is. Gimmicks are OK, but custom megaman has way more effective methods to net kills, and you're better off eliminating the options of getting gimped, and spiked.

Also, if you have to recover low, just go under the stage and get to the other side. It works perfectly. Lmao
Yeah, but the momentum glitch is only reliable at low %s. At mid to high %, you are still easier to hit during your recovery and getting hit with something powerful will just kill you outright. Going under the stage isn't 100% foolproof because Beat's startup is too slow to boost you away from the opponent before they come down there, especially if they got great air speed. You can protect yourself to an extent with Danger Wrap, but it doesn't stay around long enough and Danger Wrap gets outprioritized by like everything. Its best use is to recover high, and certain moves with windboxes like DK's storm punch can sometimes still destroy that by pushing you off the stage. Rush springs you up vertically instantly with a few windows of invulnerability, and should you be spiked you will bounce right off from him and back up. In spite of its mediocre distance, Tornado Hold has a large htbox that protects most of Mega Man's body, it will take long and disjointed hitboxes to reliably knock him out of it (and even that's easier said than done in a live match).

I said it before, I'll say it again: All 3 UpBs have different uses for different situations and not one is drastically better than the other. Sure, you can (correctly) make an argument that Beat is the best one for some matchups, but it is in no way a straight upgrade to Rush and isn't always the best option for every situation, as with the rest of his custom moves. End of story.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
If someone comes to test their skill and gets a bad break, matching the SD not only expresses that respect and challenges them to come at you at full strength (people play differently when something like that happens), it also shows self-respect (I don't need a lucky break to beat you)
Some people see that as being spit in their face, though. As if you were saying "You're not good enough to even this up. Let me make it easier on you."

Coming back from a stock deficit makes a person play differently. More conservatively. They have plenty to learn and gain during that time. That's valuable stuff that you're depriving the opponent. I've come back from a 2 stock deficit in a 3 stock match after being taken to 70% before taking their first stock. I learned what moves were safe in that time. I watched closer for punishes.

I'll also add some real world experience to this as I'm also a martial artist. When you knock someone down, you do not help them get up. You let them learn the proper way to stand back up safely.

I'll say that you're free to play however you wish and I'm sure your intentions are noble, but not everyone is going to interpret your actions like you think they should.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Nobody's gotten mad at me yet. Most are just shocked haha. The analogy is no good though...knocking someone down in MA is like taking a stock in smash. I guess a more accurate comparison would be, I dunno...the belt coming undone? Does that happen?

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Knocking someone down in training is more what I was referring to. It happens all the time. If a belt comes undone in anything beyond that, the person usually just lets it go until they can fix it.

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but the momentum glitch is only reliable at low %s. At mid to high %, you are still easier to hit during your recovery and getting hit with something powerful will just kill you outright. Going under the stage isn't 100% foolproof because Beat's startup is too slow to boost you away from the opponent before they come down there, especially if they got great air speed. You can protect yourself to an extent with Danger Wrap, but it doesn't stay around long enough and Danger Wrap gets outprioritized by like everything. Its best use is to recover high, and certain moves with windboxes like DK's storm punch can sometimes still destroy that by pushing you off the stage. Rush springs you up vertically instantly with a few windows of invulnerability, and should you be spiked you will bounce right off from him and back up. In spite of its mediocre distance, Tornado Hold has a large htbox that protects most of Mega Man's body, it will take long and disjointed hitboxes to reliably knock him out of it (and even that's easier said than done in a live match).

I said it before, I'll say it again: All 3 UpBs have different uses for different situations and not one is drastically better than the other. Sure, you can (correctly) make an argument that Beat is the best one for some matchups, but it is in no way a straight upgrade to Rush and isn't always the best option for every situation, as with the rest of his custom moves. End of story.
"Yeah, but the momentum glitch is only reliable at low %s. At mid to high %, you are still easier to hit during your recovery and getting hit with something powerful will just kill you outright. Going under the stage isn't 100% foolproof because Beat's startup is too slow to boost you away from the opponent before they come down there, especially if they got great air speed. You can protect yourself to an extent with Danger Wrap, but it doesn't stay around long enough and Danger Wrap gets outprioritized by like everything. Its best use is to recover high, and certain moves with windboxes like DK's storm punch can sometimes still destroy that by pushing you off the stage"

This entire bit of prose is theorycrafted nonsense that shows you haven't had nearly enough experience with Beat to make a proper judgement. I've never had any of these problems, and can tell you how to deal with all of these situations from my PERSONAL experience that actually happened.

- "Yeah, but the momentum glitch is only reliable at low %s"

Nope, entirely false. It's applicable at all percentages, and it actually makes it even more annoying for my opponents to secure kills against me when I can just jet away at 100% and reset the scenario. They can't bottleneck me to the ledge AT ALL.

- "At mid to high %, you are still easier to hit during your recovery and getting hit with something powerful will just kill you outright."

Once again, false. The momentum glitch should be used every time, and is very hard to hit after your opponent used a move to knock you off stage in the first place. If shiek fairs me at 130, I just fly away and land OK stage. There's no way she can get a bouncing fish off fast enough, nor can she double jump fair fast enough to hit me. It's very difficult to hit at this percentage.

- "Going under the stage isn't 100% foolproof because Beat's startup is too slow to boost you away from the opponent before they come down there, especially if they got great air speed."

Not once have I had that problem. You can go as low as you want, and your opponent is an idiot for chasing you down there. If they do, I fly early and go around them. If they try to predict me going under and run to the other ledge, I just juke the other way. If they actually hit me, I tech. If I somehow miss my tech, I just fly back up because it goes so dang high. Rarely do I find myself getting killed in this scenario, and I practice regularly with the best players in my region.

- "You can protect yourself to an extent with Danger Wrap, but it doesn't stay around long enough and Danger Wrap gets outprioritized by like everything."

No, I rarely even waste my time using that move. Just go straight into the glitch recovery. Much simpler, way more effective. Rarely a need to bomb during your recovery before beat. Just cut the crap and fly.

- "Its best use is to recover high, and certain moves with windboxes like DK's storm punch can sometimes still destroy that by pushing you off the stage"

Oh please, you DESERVE to get your stock taken if you get hit by anything ON STAGE when you have beat. Again, simplicity is the key... no fuccboi sh*t. Fly over them, they wanna chase you? Go right ahead, they cannot get that high... nobody can other than ROB. If they use an actual good move like Dong-nado, just juke in midair, and air dodge when you're near them.

The only honest to god problem I've had was dealing with characters who can get under me on the way down, and get a solid read punish on whatever I do to cancel landing lag. But that's WAAAAY better than the problems I've had with Rush and Tornado such as...

Getting gimped. Being forced to the ledge on most occasions. Almost impossible to live through cheese stage spikes that I may have missed on occasion. Predictable in a million ways.

Beat has more pros than any of the moves, especially thanks to the momentum glitch. If it wasn't there, I would be able to validate your points, but you're just wrong until you've actually taken the time to apply these things in a high level competitive setting.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I've been using Beat a lot in my custom games lately.
Rush Coil has it's glaring weakness thrown in my face several times. That one time vs a G&W, where he kept Dairing me every attempt of mine of coming back to the stage. And then there was that Wario who did the exact same... There was no way around them, there simply wasn't. Then there's Beat... :3

BTW, Is the Up+B glitch reliable? Because it seems... awfully situational. And I mean that in the sense that this will probably only work on people who don't know about it, and want to screw around with Rush.
If you use Rush on stage, they're more likely to wait until you come down to try and do something about it, or, jump on Rush as well to chase you. But why on earth would they want to land on Rush a second time?
Don't get me wrong, the glitch looks great, I just don't think many people will fall for it, let alone have a reason to jump on Rush TWO times. (Or is this another glitch we're talking about? If so.. :nervous:)

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
All the pros of Beat seem to revolve around the momentum glitch. I don't see why it wouldn't get patched eventually.

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
All the pros of Beat seem to revolve around the momentum glitch. I don't see why it wouldn't get patched eventually.
That's just an assumption, not really a factor until it actually happens. Even then, it's still a great recovery.

I've been using Beat a lot in my custom games lately.
Rush Coil has it's glaring weakness thrown in my face several times. That one time vs a G&W, where he kept Dairing me every attempt of mine of coming back to the stage. And then there was that Wario who did the exact same... There was no way around them, there simply wasn't. Then there's Beat... :3

BTW, Is the Up+B glitch reliable? Because it seems... awfully situational. And I mean that in the sense that this will probably only work on people who don't know about it, and want to screw around with Rush.
If you use Rush on stage, they're more likely to wait until you come down to try and do something about it, or, jump on Rush as well to chase you. But why on earth would they want to land on Rush a second time?
Don't get me wrong, the glitch looks great, I just don't think many people will fall for it, let alone have a reason to jump on Rush TWO times. (Or is this another glitch we're talking about? If so.. :nervous:)
Yes you can use the momentum glitch every single time. It's not hard to do.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
One of the fastest, most satisfying victories I've ever gotten
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8jpfh7yy78

Wonder how the other guy reacted to it.
The first KO was just fun and silliness, but that second was a nice edgeguard. If you like Crash Bombs (I do too), try playing with more setups: CB->thrown MB->Anything, CB->drop MB->bAir, CB->uTilt (under 40)->shield->uSmash, etc. Be creative! uAir is nasty with CB, but be careful that you don't transfer the bomb.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yesterday night I won my first Smash Bros tournament ever! Fortunately I was able to find the VOD and my matches are viewable. I couldn't believe the surge I picked up going through losers bracket. Here are the time stamps of the VOD.

WR2 vs :rosalina:
www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/659208102?t=19m40s

Losers Quarters vs :4link:
www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/659208102?t=1h14m10s

Losers Finals vs :4pikachu:/:4mewtwo:
www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/659208102?t=1h43m44s

GF 1 and 2 vs :rosalina:/:4bowser: Feat. :4miibrawl:
www.twitch.tv/epicgl/b/659208102?t=2h02m25s

I think he despises Mega Man or he said something like that...
has this been put on youtube yet?

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Are you the real NinjaLink? Ive heard marvels of you! Could you help me with the Luigi matchup and perhaps link me some of your matches?
Yes he's real, I've locked NinjaLink so long in my basement for so long to milk out all the Mega Man Smash 4 tech from them. They are barely just coming out for air. Back in your basement nao!

Last edited:
Top Bottom