• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Characters = DENIED

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
I am satsified, becuase my favorite character Lyn made an appearence, so therefore i am happy.
Besides
I only ever plan on using
Even if SHE DIDN'T make ANY apperence In the game i'd be just fine.
Luck was just on my side, that is all.

Link
Pit
Samus
Zero Suit Samus

Zelda
Ike
Toon Link
Zamus is trash. Nothing but filthy smut. It's shameful what they did to Samus, and counting that as Metroid rep to boot? Pitiful

Luz

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I can't believe you're serious any more that you wouldn't want downloadable content because it would mess up the selection screen. That's trully a laugh. Thanks for that.
I have to agree with the other person. I like symmetry in all its forms (except asymmetry ><) so seeing the brawl selection screen so nice just makes me happy. If they introduced another bunch of characters, I'd at least hope they'd make it symmetrical.

Of course, we don't even have to worry about that now, eh?

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Zamus is trash. Nothing but filthy smut. It's shameful what they did to Samus, and counting that as Metroid rep to boot? Pitiful
She looks fun to me, I think i'll be the judge of it myself thank you.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I have to agree with the other person. I like symmetry in all its forms (except asymmetry ><) so seeing the brawl selection screen so nice just makes me happy. If they introduced another bunch of characters, I'd at least hope they'd make it symmetrical.

Of course, we don't even have to worry about that now, eh?
To me the symmetry is broken because of the soulless "random" box. The Melee select screen looked much better in its absence and still looked like a shape. The shape of course is irrelevant, but the rectangular shape with the sudden lack of color is almost like not having that square at all.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Masahiro Sakurai: [Laughs] I'm in love with all of my characters and I couldn't possibly choose one. And I personally believe that no matter which character you choose, there is the possibility that you can win your matches. And there is no character that will guarantee that you will win.
Masahiro Sakurai: TIRES DON EXITS.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
To me it's pretty funny how he almost went out of his way to destroy any semblance of "professional gaming" (not like I agree with it) in Brawl.

-Axed advanced techniques
-Dumbed down speed
-Percieved lack of combo ability
-Total asbence of even the option to do rated battles, plus the impossibility of fighting anyone on the random scene if you ever wanted to again with the ignorance of their name.

Mama

Smash Ace
You mean Tiers. And yes they do. They can't not exist in a fighting game so get over it and accept that.

On topic I'm glad all the speculation can stop. I'm not the type who doesn't want something just because its talked about too much (i.e. the people who didn't want DLC because it was talked about every other thread a while back) but I never saw it as much of a possibility and all the threads rumored confirmation and what not were annoying.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Well i'm just glad all the speculation can stop now >_>

S2

Smash Lord
I wouldn't keep my hopes up for it.

Unless he announces differently at his speech (or did he already do it), expect this "no" to mean just that.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
I’ll say that I’m not displeased with no DLC cause really, it’s just stupid to get your hopes up on something with no proof.
I never believed it anyway and you’d think people would learn to stop expecting so much, especially after the 35 roster.

However the people saying that they didn’t want DLC or that they’re happy it isn’t in are acting worse then the people that actually believed it.

Being happy that others are unhappy makes you a heartless douche.

And really guys, you don’t have to be satisfied.

It’s a product not a gift, there’s a *** difference.

I guess the next time I order a soup and get a salad I should just be satisfied cause at lest they made it for me.

"Besides they’re both in a bowl!!!!111!"

Seriously, I hate people that ***** and whine at everything.
But being satisfied with a product and not wanting it to have been even better is just as bad if not worse.
That’s how corrupt governments get into power.

They my be taking all of my money making me starve for weeks but, at lest I have a road to walk on right!"

And can someone please explain to me whats the deal with a rectangle?

How does a rectangle> more characters and variety?

Even if it’s a character you don’t like, you don’t have to play it but you might find someone that uses that character to give you a great challenge.

When I first bought melee, I thought Falco was a waste, I never use him but, I’ve played people that made me appreciate him and glad that he’s on the roster.

Tl;dr version.

QQing is bad
Being happy that others aren’t makes you a heartless douche
Don’t be satisfied with everything, especially when It comes to a product you’re buying. That’s even worse then QQing.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
4 words: Sakurai is a trickster.
Yes, banana peels... You don’t, um…think they’re too much of a cliché, do you?

I mean, when a banana peel gets dropped, everybody pretty much knows what’s going to happen next.

Oh... She threw it.

You’re gonna slip! Trust me, you’re GONNA slip!

See?! You slipped!

I wonder if this joke is understood around the world. Ah, well.

Slipping and falling on your backside... Ouch!

He sure is!

I’ll say that I’m not displeased with no DLC cause really, it’s just stupid to get your hopes up on something with no proof.
I never believed it anyway and you’d think people would learn to stop expecting so much, especially after the 35 roster.

However the people saying that they didn’t want DLC or that they’re happy it isn’t in are acting worse then the people that actually believed it.

Being happy that others are unhappy makes you a heartless douche.

And really guys, you don’t have to be satisfied.

It’s a product not a gift, there’s a *** difference.

I guess the next time I order a soup and get a salad I should just be satisfied cause at lest they made it for me.

"Besides they’re both in a bowl!!!!111!"

Seriously, I hate people that ***** and whine at everything.
But being satisfied with a product and not wanting it to have been even better is just as bad if not worse.
That’s how corrupt governments get into power.

They my be taking all of my money making me starve for weeks but, at lest I have a road to walk on right!"

And can someone please explain to me whats the deal with a rectangle?

Even if it’s a character you don’t like, you don’t have to play it but you might find someone that uses that character to give you a great challenge.

When I first bought melee, I thought Falco was a waste, I never use him but, I’ve played people that made me appreciate him and glad that he’s on the roster.

Tl;dr version.

QQing is bad
Being happy that others aren’t makes you a heartless douche
Don’t be satisfied with everything, especially when It comes to a product you’re buying. That’s even worse then QQing.
Except...i'm not happy that others are unhappy so I don't see your point.
I don't share their dissapointment..because I never set myself up for it.
I accept the game because it's massive already and it's going to be amazing imo
I will be playing this game for years to come
So...yeah whatever

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Except...i'm not happy that others are unhappy so I don't see your point.
I don't share their dissapointment..because I never set myself up for it.
I accept the game because it's massive already and it's going to be amazing imo
I will be playing this game for years to come
So...yeah whatever

:grin: <-- this face is grinning <-- people grin when they are happy<-- you put that face on the title <-- This makes people assume that you’re happy

I, like you, didn’t expect DLC at all. I don’t expect anything, so that I can’t have my hopes crushed.
However, if you don’t expect something, then you have no reason to be happy when it doesn’t happen,
Only things to be happy in this thread is

1. You’re a douche and enjoy seeing others hopes get crushed.

2. You believe that rectangle> more characters and variety.

You just said it wasn’t the first one, and I can’t understand how someone would agree with the second one.

So then, tell me, why the :grin: ? Since you said I was wrong.

And it can’t be because you are satisfied with the game, since that have nothing to do with the thread title. Plus, you already expressed that you wished Lyn was playable but you’re forced to settle for less.

Even if she was playable, why would you put a :grin: ? Why be happy that you don’t get more for you’re money?
I can see being indifferent, that’s what I am right now but, :grin: a ?

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
:grin: <-- this face is grinning <-- people grin when they are happy<-- you put that face on the title <-- This makes people assume that you’re happy

I, like you, didn’t expect DLC at all. I don’t expect anything, so that I can’t have my hopes crushed.
However, if you don’t expect something, then you have no reason to be happy when it doesn’t happen,
Only things to be happy in this thread is

1. You’re a douche and enjoy seeing others hopes get crushed.

2. You believe that rectangle> more characters and variety.

You just said it wasn’t the first one, and I can’t understand how someone would agree with the second one.

So then, tell me, why the :grin: ? Since you said I was wrong.

And it can’t be because you are satisfied with the game, since that have nothing to do with the thread title. Plus, you already expressed that you wished Lyn was playable but you’re forced to settle for less.

Even if she was playable, why would you put a :grin: ? Why be happy that you don’t get more for you’re money?
I can see being indefinite, that’s what I am right now but, :grin: a ?
First of all I said nothing about some stupid rectangle thing.
Secondly, the reason of my being happy is because I was hoping there wasnt going to be any downloadable characters, because it doesnt make sense to me for a game like smash.

All avalaible characters should be in the game or not be in at all.
Stages however are different, seeing as we get a daily stage everyday.

I am satisfied with the game, because I love smash? And I shoulden't expect more than what was given to me. I don't jump on the bandwagon.
I know what game i'm buying, I know what I am paying for, therefore I am content with it.

You think I get enjoyment from seeing peoples dreams crushed? you are sadly mistaken.
I don't think i've made fun of one person at all in this thread that shows any of that.
I'm just happy that there wasnt any downloadable characters that's all.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Thank you Xengri; I really thought the same thing when he put that smilie in the title. I must admit, I got pretty PO'ed when I saw it, cuz it seemed like he was happy that a lot of people's hopes got crushed... Meh, w/e now... -___-

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Thank you Xengri; I really thought the same thing when he put that smilie in the title. I must admit, I got pretty PO'ed when I saw it, cuz it seemed like he was happy that a lot of people's hopes got crushed... Meh, w/e now... -___-
Except I would never sink so low as to do that?
I'm not that kind of person >_>

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Last thing I’m trying to do is scrutinize you, I’m just trying to see where you’re coming from. And, I need some explanation cause that makes no sense.

First of all I said nothing about some stupid rectangle thing.
Secondly, the reason of my being happy is because I was hoping there wasnt going to be any downloadable characters, because it doesnt make sense to me for a game like smash.

All avalaible characters should be in the game or not be in at all.
Stages however are different, seeing as we get a daily stage everyday.

I am satisfied with the game, because I love smash? And I shoulden't expect more than what was given to me. I don't jump on the bandwagon.
I know what game i'm buying, I know what I am paying for, therefore I am content with it.

You think I get enjoyment from seeing peoples dreams crushed? you are sadly mistaken.
I don't think i've made fun of one person at all in this thread that shows any of that.
I'm just happy that there wasnt any downloadable characters that's all.
DLC means more characters. Smash is a fighting game that benefits from more characters.
How do the two not make sense?

All available characters should already be in the game but it’s different for stages? Why’s that?
Who does stages being Daily have anything to do with it?
Even if DLC would have been weekly/monthly/annually, it would have still meant more anything which would add to smash.

I’m not saying to not be satisfied, but I am saying that being glad not to get more is wrong when considering that you’re paying for it.
They didn’t do this just out of the kindness of their hearts you know, it’s so that they can feed their families and pay bills or whatever else they need.
It’s not a gift.

I too know what game I'm buying, I know what I am paying for, I am content, but I’d never be happy with getting less or happy that I got less.

Only reason I mentioned the rectangle is because That’s the only thing I can see why anyone would be happy with no new characters. So that the roster can stay as the 4X9 rectangle it is now. Which I don’t get at all…

Couldn't you guys be arguing about something a lot less stupid?
Yeah I agree, I should join you and Luke in creating 5+ mindless pages of total sh** storm.
Such a better use of my post huh?
How ironic that you of all people would say something like that.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Last thing I’m trying to do is scrutinize you, I’m just trying to see where you’re coming from. And, I need some explanation cause that makes no sense.

DLC means more characters. Smash is a fighting game that benefits from more characters.
How do the two not make sense?

All available characters should already be in the game but it’s different for stages? Why’s that?
Who does stages being Daily have anything to do with it?
Even if DLC would have been weekly/monthly/annually, it would have still meant more anything which would add to smash.

I’m not saying to not be satisfied, but I am saying that being glad not to get more is wrong when considering that you’re paying for it.
They didn’t do this just out of the kindness of their hearts you know, it’s so that they can feed their families and pay bills or whatever else they need.
It’s not a gift.

I too know what game I'm buying, I know what I am paying for, I am content, but I’d never be happy with getting less or happy that I got less.

Only reason I mentioned the rectangle is because That’s the only thing I can see why anyone would be happy with no new characters. So that the roster can stay as the 4X9 rectangle it is now. Which I don’t get at all…
I admit at first when I heard of this 35 roster back on GameFAQs I was skepticale about it, then I heard about the "40" or so characters in the article, I was like O_O WOW, but when the 35 roster was confirmed true, I was like "Aww man.." "40 would have been awesome, but I'm fine with this."
I got over it, and I accept the game for what it is. I don't expect any extras from the game when I buy them other than what's already been included on the game disc.
I have been following Brawl since the trailer in 2006 and the dojo updates I am very pleased with how the game is shaping out. And hearing it sold over 1mil in japan within nearly a week is truely amazing to me.
I have seen videos of Brawl it looks amazing, I want to play it more than ever. I know I'll enjoy the game.
And I don't think i'm getting less for my money, Brawl is a dual layerd game...with loads of content to keep me busy to worry about getting anymore..
Which is why i'm satisfied with the current roster, I wouldent want anymore characters It would just be too weird for me..

They should have been there in the first place or not at all
If you are going out of your way to put in a character in the game, don't just think it up and not do it. If the character was going to be in the game, he/she is on the current roster.

So yeah, that's why i'm happy there are no downloadable characters..

Ricard_the_dragoon

Smash Apprentice
I would like to make one point:
IGN: We have to ask because there are so many rumors about this. Are there any hidden characters to come? Can you unlock more hidden fighters by way of WiiConnect24 or will you offer new downloadable content -- new fighters, for example. -- using the service?

Masahiro Sakurai: No. There are no characters that can be unlocked via connecting to WiiConnect24 or interacting in that fashion. And I may be mistaken here, but the Wii doesn't have a hard drive -- it's a disc-based system -- so I don't think we'll be doing that, I don't think it's going to happen.
Notice the line-"There are no characters that can be unlocked via connecting to WiiConnect24 or interacting in that fashion
WiiConnect24"...didn't Nintendo say that WiiConnect24 was just the service they have that lets you send and recieve messeges on the Wii? Like previously stated, Sakurai is a Trickster, Lets not jump to any conclusions until his speach on Friday.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I would like to make one point:

Notice the line-"There are no characters that can be unlocked via connecting to WiiConnect24 or interacting in that fashion
WiiConnect24"...didn't Nintendo say that WiiConnect24 was just the service they have that lets you send and recieve messeges on the Wii? Like previously stated, Sakurai is a Trickster, Lets not jump to any conclusions until his speach on Friday.
Wiiconnect24 = the online service.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi05.html
Which is part of the Nintendo Wifi-Connection

you're still holding on to the straws man.. =/
But believe what you want, I think your setting yourself up for more dissapointment..
But if you want to believe that more power to ya

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Now, before I say anything about DLC, let me just say I'm content with the content in Brawl, and DLC would merely be icing on the cake for me.

Now, I'd like everyone to remember the 'leak' at Brawl Central by Nintendude or whomever it was where he said that a 'revolutionary new technology would give Brawl something that Melee didn't have: Time'.

Now, recall the quote in the IGN article, where Sakurai specifically says no to there being any way to unlock characters via Wiiconnect24 or interacting in that fashion, i.e. through the internet. Had he no plans for future content at all, why would he not just say 'No, there will be no add-ons for SSBB in the future, I don't think we will do that' instead of specifically saying that there won't be any hidden fighters obtained through Wiiconnect24 or interacting through any other similar fashion?

Also, keep in mind that yes, game developers tend to deny everything 'secret' until the game/content is out and done with, most of the time...mostly to prevent things like that fiasco with Halo 3 and the custom server list issue from happening. Which, if you didn't know, the developers said a service to search for player servers would be added to Halo 3 so that players could search for servers using custom games rather than schedule a custom game with friends ahead of time. When Halo 3 actually came out a year later, there was no such feature as it had been scrapped during development, and many players were pissed because they bought Halo 3 expecting that feature to be in.

Of course, this is merely baseless speculation as far as anything is concerned, and should definitely not be taken as fact. If there is no extra content for Brawl after release, then we should all just be happy with the mountain of content that is already there, for Brawl is indeed a marvelous game on its own.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I admit at first when I heard of this 35 roster back on GameFAQs I was skepticale about it, then I heard about the "40" or so characters in the article, I was like O_O WOW, but when the 35 roster was confirmed true, I was like "Aww man.." "40 would have been awesome, but I'm fine with this."
I got over it, and I accept the game for what it is. I don't expect any extras from the game when I buy them other than what's already been included on the game disc.
I have been following Brawl since the trailer in 2006 and the dojo updates I am very pleased with how the game is shaping out. And hearing it sold over 1mil in japan within nearly a week is truely amazing to me.
I have seen videos of Brawl it looks amazing, I want to play it more than ever. I know I'll enjoy the game.
And I don't think i'm getting less for my money, Brawl is a dual layerd game...with loads of content to keep me busy to worry about getting anymore..
Which is why i'm satisfied with the current roster, I wouldent want anymore characters It would just be too weird for me..

If you are going out of your way to put in a character in the game, don't just think it up and not do it. If the character was going to be in the game, he/she is on the current roster.

Yeah, except they did think about it. ._. The "Foribidden 7" character files are on the Brawl disc, so they WERE planned for the game at one point. So.....Umm, yeah. >___> I guess you shouldn't be happy with Brawl then.

Yeah I agree, I should join you and Luke in creating 5+ mindless pages of total sh** storm.
Such a better use of my post huh?
How ironic that you of all people would say something like that.
We were arguing about something of relevance to the topic we were in. You guys are arguing about the smiley that the OP put in the topic title. Deny it if you want, that's how the arguement started and that's what your arguement boils down to.

Who cares if he was happy for no DLC? Get off his balls, he can think what he wants to think.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Yeah, except they did think about it. ._. The "Foribidden 7" character files are on the Brawl disc, so they WERE planned for the game at one point. So.....Umm, yeah. >___> I guess you shouldn't be happy with Brawl then.
Except they aren't in the game now are they?
Didn't think so, every game has scrapped material in the code.
In this case it was scrapped ideas they decided not to put in the game.

I don't see your point?

The forbidden 7 have no revelance in this, sure things get planned out in the games.
Some things never make the cut, in this case these files where hardly messed with.
They didn't really go out of their way to put them in the game now did they?
If the characters where accessable through a hacking device and had fully rendered models and a move set and everything else and they just didn't put them in the game that would be a different story? But then again I didn't make Brawl so...yeah not my call on what the devs decide to do.

Trying to turn the Forbidden 7 on me was kinda of well..weak?
What were you trying to accomplish with that? :ohwell:

Now, before I say anything about DLC, let me just say I'm content with the content in Brawl, and DLC would merely be icing on the cake for me.
That expression never works because no matter what kind of cake it is, without icing it would taste nasty.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman

I agree with everything expect the underlined parts...

To me, the more content in a game means I just got more for my money.

However, It doesn’t matter anyway. I guess what you feel is that if it wasn’t there before it shouldn’t be added or it would be out of place.
Can’t say I agree, I mean, the unlockable characters don’t start on the roster but, I don’t feel weird when they are added and modify the rooster….

Still, I at lest understand why you might be happy about no DLC (since you said it’s not cause others are unhappy).

Whatever, ether way DLC is out.
And to whoever still thinks there might be hope.
You were unlucky enough to believe it the first time, Sakurai himself answered the question with a no.
It might just be a better idea to forget about the whole thing until you get the game. That way, if it turns out Sakurai wasn’t lying, you won’t be disappointed twice about the same thing.

We were arguing about something of relevance to the topic we were in. You guys are arguing about the smiley that the OP put in the topic title. Deny it if you want, that's how the arguement started and that's what your arguement boils down to.

Who cares if he was happy for no DLC? Get off his balls, he can think what he wants to think.
First, the smiley isn't what we are arguing about, if you couldn't notice.

I just wanted to figure out why he would be happy about this sort of thing. The smiley was added to the title, it's part of the title. I wanted to figure out why.

And, for the most part.
The post that I actually read between you and Luke was just, you rubbing it in his face (that picture was kind of funny...), him cursing and name calling, both of you bickering and
"I'll stop being an idiot if you stop first!".

Besides, if you don't like my post, stop reading them. That's what I did for those pages you and Luke were **** storming about.

Top Bottom